Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brawl

I dunno friends, really. Maybe I just feel a little bit teased. You know when you want to buy something new, and you weigh all the pros and cons of the devices that you are looking for?

for example the DSLR X have better ISO. the DSLR Y have better lenses. so you spend years to weigh all the features. then if you can you buy it?

now imagine that if, after years of weigh and balance, you discover that the company lied over one very crucial feature (example fake 1080p vs true 1080p screen resolution and sharpness). I imagine that well you would think that you wanted to weigh this crucial differences before buying it. I like canon. but perhaps the true 1080p would make me buy another Canon model. or another brand.
7D video recording is sub-HD canon had to tell to us but they wrote HD on the box of the camera.  this is what I think. I do not think to lawyers or class actions.

Audionut

They didn't lie.  The 7D delivers full HD output.

Anyway, this topic is not suited to the direction you are taking it.  Feel free to start a thread in general chat, if you must.

1%

Bigger shocker... the sensor isn't even 16:9, its 3:2. Actually "fuller" HD, 1728x1152. If you want wide vs tall do 2k and like 928 in crop mode.

arkan

Hello there i want to know how make the frame High frame size like 1920 ... and i have Damaged frames ... may CF card 128GB 120mb/s
I want shoot 1920 x 720 without Damaged frames ... i am new with ML .. Help plz

Brawl

try to install the last nightly build, the compact flash valor is in Mb or MB? it's different.

Danialdaneshmand

That damaged frame is kind of a bummer since it doesn't happen on certain part of a shot to avoid.
and sometimes it happens (for me mostly happened when camera was moving either handheld or slider , etc)

Sample :

I figured it could be due to a average speed of my card (Sandisk Ultra 50MB/s)
then i tried it with a slower card to see if i could increase the chance of this and to me it seems like it still happens occasionally.

Danialdaneshmand

Again reinstalled ML and problem solved itself.

I can get a roughly 7 to 8 seconds with a 45MB/s (Advertised) Memory card at Full Res and 2:1 Aspect Ratio
which is really useful considering a project with short takes and cuts.
I wanted to know that is this due to the 7D's High SRM memory value or something else?
I am considering a switch to 5D Mark II for better low lights and some extra features (ML+In camera) but i wanted to make sure about this first.
Any advice is welcome!

1%

5DII also has the same shitty sync functions as 7d. You're just going from a 2 proc camera with crop sensor to a 1 proc camera with an FF. You can still get bad frames there. The only things that mitigate bad frames on this generation are faster cards and less doodads turned on while recording.

Walter Schulz

About faster cards: Komputerbay 1066x 128 GByte. Received this week and therefore still experimenting.
ML benchmark shows about 90 MByte/s (write).
1920x960/25 good for about 30 sec. 1728x972 (16:9) is good for about 23 minutes = card full.
Have to compare 1920 out of the cam with 1728 upscaled.

Danialdaneshmand

Quote from: 1% on November 16, 2014, 10:18:19 PM
5DII also has the same shitty sync functions as 7d. You're just going from a 2 proc camera with crop sensor to a 1 proc camera with an FF. You can still get bad frames there. The only things that mitigate bad frames on this generation are faster cards and less doodads turned on while recording.
I was going to switch for a better low light performance (1 and 1/3 of stop) and some lens options. (I do photography mostly)
Those damaged frames didn't happen for me after re-installing.
but i don't get what do you mean "Sync functions"

While we're on memory:
last night a camera store that i go to gave me a new card to Test (Sandisk Extreme 32GB 800x)
Using the formula (Speed as X / 1024 * 60) which for this one goes about 45MB/s was actually accurate , ML benchmark showed the same.
I could record 1728x972 (16:9) MLV for more than 20 seconds which is enough for me w/o any skipped frames and it looks good.

BTW I had a question for a while , Is there a way to record MLV's on higher frame rates for slow motion?
FPS override doesn't go up when i'm on 1080 on Canon's menu.
And it's cropped on 720.

1%

QuoteML benchmark shows about 90 MByte/s (write).

How fast does it write while recording? The 64gb previous gen Komputerbay cards were continuous at 1728x972 or 1728x1156 @24P.  ~82 MB/s writing.

QuoteIs there a way to record MLV's on higher frame rates for slow motion?

Nope. The live view can't get that fast. You can override the 60P modes to 48fps though. Or 50P if you're on pal.

Quotei don't get what do you mean "Sync functions"

How ML overlays/display filters (ie ML preview)/etc are synced up with the LV image. These functions take more CPU and are less reliable on this generation of DigicIV cameras. The magic zoom actually relies on making the CPU busy to slow it down enough to not flicker.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: 1% on November 17, 2014, 04:38:24 PM
How fast does it write while recording? The 64gb previous gen Komputerbay cards were continuous at 1728x972 or 1728x1156 @24P.  ~82 MB/s writing.

Test 1:
1728x1156@24, MLV, no other modules loaded, just default but GD turned off.
Manual stopped after 2 min. File size 9,38 GByte. Equals to 80 MByte/s. I recorded the cam's display with a second cam:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/49hlm2sopbdyszv/MVI_4990.MOV?dl=0
As you can see the write rate is quite "nervous". I have no problem to fill the card with this resolution/frame rate.

Test2
1728x1156@24, RAW, no other modules loaded (only RAW_REC), just default but GD turned off.
Stopped by itself after 2:42 (but have had breaks after about 1:30, too). File size 12,6 GByte. Equals to about 79,65 MByte/s. Here is the record:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b784hxoacytr4x0/MVI_4991.MOV?dl=0
Write rate is quite good dampened, it seems. The rate displayed, I mean.

If there is anything else I might be able to test: Here I am, willing to take some risks if it might be helpful to free the beast (aka: 7D).

1%

So it still seems a little slower than the 64gb 1000x but not by much.

Nothing really new on the 7D side. There is the black level fix PR and I wonder what that will do to write speeds. It doesn't work for crop mode though.

Danialdaneshmand

Nope. The live view can't get that fast. You can override the 60P modes to 48fps though. Or 50P if you're on pal.
What about other bodies?
How ML overlays/display filters (ie ML preview)/etc are synced up with the LV image. These functions take more CPU and are less reliable on this generation of DigicIV cameras. The magic zoom actually relies on making the CPU busy to slow it down enough to not flicker.
I See , although personally i didn't have a issue with GD at least , Seems synchronized to me using Zebras Under/Over , Focus peeking , Magic zoom etc.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: 1% on November 18, 2014, 12:01:40 AM
Nothing really new on the 7D side.

What about an old one? ;-)
Bringing Soundrecorder/Voice tag into the main branch?

1%

There is the new audio system branch and a module that has a wav rec. I'm checking it out on EOSM (so far: headphone, on/off and volumes). It definitely needs polishing (i.e it doesn't set settings at rec start and only alters digital volumes) but its a start. I always had classic recording patched up on my 7D stuff so never really noticed it was missing.

Walter Schulz

Now for something completely different:
Well, I just opened a support issue on Canon's official support site and asked about adding ExFAT support to 7D. Call me a naif but it has been added to some cinema gear via firmware update. And it doesn't hurt to ask ...
So: If you have some time to spend, you may chime in and open your own support issue and ask Canon to do so.

I expect "smother" operation (=less likely to stop when 4 GByte block is reached) with ExFAT in 7D.

dlrpgmsvc

@Walter: good idea but... if Canon will release another fw, ml will have to update to it! It is not for the last... imagine how many time it will require for another one... eheh!
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

N/A

Quote from: Walter Schulz on November 22, 2014, 10:25:38 PM
Now for something completely different:
Well, I just opened a support issue on Canon's official support site and asked about adding ExFAT support to 7D. Call me a naif but it has been added to some cinema gear via firmware update. And it doesn't hurt to ask ...
I'd love to see this happen as well, but with it being discontinued and all focus on the 7dmkII now, I don't have high hopes.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Danialdaneshmand

Sometimes image appears to be darker in live view which is most of the time for checking accurate exposure.
I have Exp Simulation:on too.

cambro

Hey guys, i have a 7D since 3 days and a 128GB 1066x Komputerbay. And i have a few questions.
1. how do i set up the camera for best performance Raw rec. which buffer fill method, which resolution,warm up,......?
2. how do i set up the camera for mlv rawrec, i wasn't able to figure out how to shoot in mlv, it just shows that it is preparing when i hit rec button and when i want to stop or sth. else it doesn't response to my actions, so i have to remove the battery.
3. when i rec. in crop mode, even at 1080 i get loads of pink frames. not really important which resolution, pink frames everywhere :D
4. Do i have to make any changes in the canon camera menu to increase the performance of ML, or just those settings like disabling auto off,.......

please help, thanks.

feureau

Btw, any news on Dual ISO MLV on the 7D?

feureau