crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baksh

Hello everyone!

Just a quick video shot in Roma last week to show that everything just works perfectly !
Thanks to the team !

For informations
//4k Settings //
- Resolution : 3072x1024 px
- Bits : 14 bpp Lossless
- Aspect Ratio : 3:1

I was able to shoot continuously.

Quentin

Yes, I did some continuous flawless 3K shots. Incredibly awesome!
The 1st of April is ML special day.
I hope MLV_Sound returns some time and works in hand with video.

hjfilmspeed

goldenchild9to5

a1ex

Quote from: rudimental on April 30, 2017, 06:58:11 PM
Hello :)
I wanted to ask, if, with all the new development and discoveries you guys made lately, there is a way to improve/shorten rolling shutter ms for normal 1080p recording.

Already done a long time ago (actually since 2012; we just didn't know what we had done, back then).

It might be possible to push it a little lower. With adtg_gui and enough patience, you can probably figure it out. All you have to do is to reduce FPS timer A as much as you can, but you'll also have to reconfigure some other parameters to allow this (don't know which ones - that's what you have to find out).

hindra

Sorry guys, with the new MLV_Dump the DNG file sizes are coming out much larger, for 3k 12 bit they are 7mb each. I am using this script to run MLV_Dump, please help me make corrections. Also, it seems to be taking much longer as well.

Quote@echo off
for %%a in ( %* ) do ( md "%%~na" 2>nul )&( C:\MLVFS\mlv_dump.exe -o %%~na\%%~na_ --dng %%~na.MLV )

EDIT: MLV files are 16.6gb, dng output are closer to 30gb.
SL1 100D.100A - 5D - 7D2 - 5D3 1.2.3

Levas

If you used compressed raw, the MLV files are always smaller. The dng files that are made by MLV_dump are not compressed, so bigger.
And as far as I know, the output in dng from MLV_dump is always in 14 bit.
So you could have a compressed 12 bit MLV file, but the dng's that come out mlv_dump are uncompressed 14 bit.

hindra

Quote from: Levas on May 01, 2017, 10:23:28 AM
If you used compressed raw, the MLV files are always smaller. The dng files that are made by MLV_dump are not compressed, so bigger.
And as far as I know, the output in dng from MLV_dump is always in 14 bit.
So you could have a compressed 12 bit MLV file, but the dng's that come out mlv_dump are uncompressed 14 bit.

That makes perfect sense! Thank you for clearing that up for me.

DLM

Hello!

I installed the firmware version magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2017Apr26.5D3113. I shoot 1920x1080 30p 14bit losless, it works fine, but when I open the video on the computer, in all the videos I see on the left a black bar about two pixels wide. What is the problem?

jankrueck

kinda offtopic. just wanted to show some testfootage.
just wanted to thank Alex and team for their work!

Can't wait for final release and having sound recorded. keep it up!

3k 1:1 | 3072x1320 | 14bit lostless
Sandisk Pro 160mb/s 64GB card
ISO100-200 continous

3840x2160 (1650 w/o letterbox) upscaling, sharpening and some lightadjustments done in resolve 12.5.
very rough and fast, noch "real" grading or so.

g3gg0

Quote from: hindra on May 01, 2017, 03:50:21 AM
Sorry guys, with the new MLV_Dump the DNG file sizes are coming out much larger, for 3k 12 bit they are 7mb each. I am using this script to run MLV_Dump, please help me make corrections. Also, it seems to be taking much longer as well.

EDIT: MLV files are 16.6gb, dng output are closer to 30gb.

you now can choose between
a) output uncompressed DNGs
b) compress DNG content (bit slower bit same as uncompressed, just many tools have trouble with lossless compressed DNG)
c) pass through the original lossless data (which will be fast but skip all processing like stripe and hot pixel detection)

this can be done by adding "-c" multiple times to the commandline.

e.g.

./mlv_dump in.mlv --dng   # outputs uncompressed DNGs
./mlv_dump in.mlv --dng -c  # outputs compressed DNGs using mlv_dump's LJ92 algorithm
./mlv_dump in.mlv --dng -c -c  # outputs uncompressed DNGs by passing through unmodified lossless data
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

hindra

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 02, 2017, 01:34:03 AM
b) compress DNG content (bit slower bit same as uncompressed, just many tools have trouble with lossless compressed DNG)
c) pass through the original lossless data (which will be fast but skip all processing like stripe and hot pixel detection)

this can be done by adding "-c" multiple times to the commandline.

e.g.

./mlv_dump in.mlv --dng   # outputs uncompressed DNGs
./mlv_dump in.mlv --dng -c  # outputs compressed DNGs using mlv_dump's LJ92 algorithm
./mlv_dump in.mlv --dng -c -c  # outputs uncompressed DNGs by passing through unmodified lossless data

Thank you for that. It is nice having options.

goldenchild9to5

@jankrueck Great job footage looks awesome.. You also captured great dynamic range, windows are well exposed & still having enough dynamic range for the interior superb. 

Danne

g3gg0, thanks!
Here´s latest mlv_dump for mac which beautifully applies lossless compression to dng files!
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/mlv_dump_compress_dng.zip

try:
mlv_dump --dng -c INPUT.MLV
And watch dng files process lossles with less than half it´s size. This works with uncompressed footage as well.

bouncyball

@g3gg0

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 02, 2017, 01:34:03 AM
Haha, I was doing the same pass-trough stuff yesterday but you really did it a lot better (and faster) than me!!! :D plus there are also some more fixes/changes. Thank you so much!

There is a small question. When -c not specifyed e.g. 'mlv_dump -o result.mlv source.mlv', the standard output is:

Processing...
  saving: 3628800 -> 1906112  (52.53% ratio)
  saving: 3628800 -> 1906112  (52.53% ratio)
  saving: 3628800 -> 1905600  (52.51% ratio)

In case of "!verbose":

if(frame_buffer_size != (uint32_t)frame_size && !verbose)
{
   print_msg(MSG_INFO, "  saving: "FMT_SIZE" -> "FMT_SIZE"  (%2.2f%% ratio)\n", frame_size, frame_buffer_size, ((float)frame_buffer_size * 100.0f) / (float)frame_size);
}

Do we really need this info (calculated uncompressed size to already hw compressed size comparizon) during MLV->MLV pass-trough? Maybe make it somewhat optional.

bb

beauchampy

Quote from: Danne on May 02, 2017, 09:35:00 AM
g3gg0, thanks!
Here´s latest mlv_dump for mac which beautifully applies lossless compression to dng files!
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/mlv_dump_compress_dng.zip

try:
And watch dng files process lossles with less than half it´s size. This works with uncompressed footage as well.

Fantastic! Look forward to seeing this with cr2hdr!

bouncyball

Quote from: Danne on May 02, 2017, 09:35:00 AM
try:
Produced (processed and recompressed) DNGs are even a bit smaller than passed-trough ones :) I guess also becase of there is no padding bytes.

bb

jankrueck

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on May 02, 2017, 05:24:12 AM
@jankrueck Great job footage looks awesome.. You also captured great dynamic range, windows are well exposed & still having enough dynamic range for the interior superb.

thanks!  my maingoal was to test around with DR, detail and cameramoving, as most of the test I saw where handheld or tripod landscape.
the Dynamic Range is just insane. Its out of Camera. Didnt lift shadows or saved highlights at all.

cherrio!

jimiz

* 1920x960 @ 50p (both 1:1 crop and full-frame - 3x3 pixel binning) last exp.4k 29 april

crash (freeze) on ML menu options, in few seconds when push upd and down select.... and must put out battery ....

any one confirm ?

5D3-123

pc_bel

@jimiz
For me that mode is no more continuous recording with the last build, I don't know why... I return to April14th, the most reliable for me... :-[

a1ex

If you want the future builds to improve...

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Before reporting any differences in recording times, please make sure they are not caused by small variations in the data rate (unavoidable with lossless compression) or by different settings (e.g. global draw, preview options).

I'm currently benchmarking the two builds with this method (this script).

Just FYI, it's not the first time people are reporting speed differences between nearly identical builds (where the only change was something like fixing a typo in XYZ language).

jimiz

Quote from: pc_bel on May 02, 2017, 04:03:56 PM
@jimiz
For me that mode is no more continuous recording with the last build, I don't know why... I return to April14th, the most reliable for me... :-[

yes to me too , no possibile to rec. in 1920x920 50p  , around 20 seconds not more...little bit better in x800....but not continued.
5D3-123

a1ex

With the settings recommended in the first post, 1920x960 50p is continuous here (orange icon at first, green after ~30 seconds).

Benchmark results tomorrow (will let the script test the two builds overnight).

g3gg0

Quote from: bouncyball on May 02, 2017, 10:43:09 AM
Do we really need this info (calculated uncompressed size to already hw compressed size comparizon) during MLV->MLV pass-trough? Maybe make it somewhat optional.

no, good point.
reworked a lot of stuff (so errors may appear that weren't present before).
this is one thing. got to fix that, right.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

jimiz

Quote from: a1ex on May 02, 2017, 06:51:24 PM
With the settings recommended in the first post, 1920x960 50p is continuous here (orange icon at first, green after ~30 seconds).

Benchmark results tomorrow (will let the script test the two builds overnight).

Thanks A1ex

to me and a friend (we have same CF   CBx1066 tested)    with 27 and 29 april , vers. 123  ,   orange icon at first 20 seconds circa  red after and stop!  no way ...tryed 20 times...
if we set 1920x800  orange icon at first 10-15 seconds...green , orange, green.... but seem to be continued...(i try more of 2-3 minutes without stop)

so I don't know if 1920x960 50p was working better in old version...this I can't say....

5D3-123