crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Would you mind linking any source?

Generally speaking: If there is any person telling me there is a way to avoid aliasing without exceptions and without additional filters my BS alarm is ticking.

wib

To simplify, this is achieved with an "anamorphic" recorded image.
(like the "5K preset" in Danne's build or like in this video where he uses the Canon 700D, it's with Bilal's build)

But to clarify, you are not necessarily free of aliasing. In my experience this depends of the process used to "desqueeze" the image.
For example if you are using MLV App, or DNGs in Davinci Resolve... the scaling algorythm is different and the result will be different too.

TBH I'm watching the youtube video with a 4K monitor and it was aliased anyway, but sure very much less in the shots in 1x3 than 3x3, but moire still present a little bit to an advised viewer's eyes.
EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

far.in.out

That was my impression too, "much less". That could be a difference between garbage and usable footage.
So I followed the links in the description and found some more info.
But still no idea about the current state of support of this feature across cameras/builds.
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

far.in.out

Could anyone please clarify this? Is pixel binning only available in this newer crop rec on steroids build?
Do older/cheaper cameras have a chance of getting this feature?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

masc

You'll find this information so often in this forum... but again: all ML cameras do a line skipping and a column binning. Only 5D3 does also line binning. So if you find a build which supports 1x3 (anamorphic) recording, you will make use of "only" pixel binning and no skipping. As far as I know, this exists for 5D3, M, 700D, 100D and 6D (maybe a few more, maybe not).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ShittyWebsite

Why does the raw module (the one without lossless) has only 3.5k?

I was trying to use
Full-resolution LiveView: 5796x3870 at 7.4 fps (with frame skipping)

Is there frame skipping on the lossless raw module?

I can only get a square 3.4k x 3.4k instead of 5.9 x 3.4