crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

@vstrglv -- perhaps you didn't press magnified zoom to get into x5 mode (which is required for this mode - read the notes on bottom of LCD LiveView) while having '3.5k 1:1 centered x5' enabled from crop-mode within ML menu and then select 3520x1320 in 2.50:1 w 12-bit lossless.

Finally, while highlighted on the 'Resolution 3520x1320' use your shutter scroller (top right) to fine-tune it down 3504x1320 which is 2.65:1.

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

vstrglv

@DeafEyeJedi Thank you very much! I forgot about shutter scroller...
Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

pocketrubbish

I'm liking the latest build, full res liveview is getting pretty darn reliable at 7.5fps, 2.35 crop. Almost continuous recording, I had a few shut off after 5 seconds. I drove up into the mountains to see how some of my older lenses handle 4k+ and made a short video.

I did notice that it would shut off right away if I was shooting right into the sun at ISO100 but I kind of expected that after reading through the thread. It's getting damn good though.

Amazing work so far!

a1ex

Quote from: erikbaldwinson on April 28, 2017, 03:27:11 AM
Hey Alex, unfortunately those changes you made to the latest build (2017-04-27 21:51) didn't do it. It still only records 6 seconds ALL-I or IPB before I get an "emergency stop" notification on the live view. Tried 12bit lossless, 12bit raw, and 10bit raw, makes no difference. I made sure to set record to card 2 (SD) in the canon menu each time.

Confirmed - it was broken by an experimental change in this branch - the way we allocate memory for the main raw buffer (during standby) conflicts with H.264. I've assumed Canon's memory layout does not change as long as you are not leaving LiveView, but it looks like it does (so our raw stream ended up overwriting the memory areas used by H.264). Looking into it.

Quote from: pocketrubbish on April 28, 2017, 07:17:25 PM
I'm liking the latest build, full res liveview is getting pretty darn reliable at 7.5fps, 2.35 crop. Almost continuous recording, I had a few shut off after 5 seconds.

Nice to see this mode working! You should be able to reduce the memory workload (and hopefully free some resources to make them available to the card writing task) with some tricks:
- dial down the resolution in crop_rec submenu (target yres); note the FPS will increase
- re-center the image using CMOS[1] hi and lo (trial and error)
- enable FPS override in low light mode and dial it down to 7.5 fps or whatever you need
- try the "Frozen LV" preview mode for a little more writing speed.

pocketrubbish

Quote from: a1ex on April 28, 2017, 07:25:21 PM
Nice to see this mode working! You should be able to reduce the memory workload (and hopefully free some resources to make them available to the card writing task) with some tricks:
- dial down the resolution in crop_rec submenu (target yres); note the FPS will increase
- re-center the image using CMOS[1] hi and lo (trial and error)
- enable FPS override in low light mode and dial it down to 7.5 fps or whatever you need
- try the "Frozen LV" preview mode for a little more writing speed.

Thank you, I'll try all of that this weekend.

Janosch

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on April 28, 2017, 05:18:38 PM
Trying to reproduce this on my end to no avail. Was this done on 113 or 123?

113!
you may encounter it if you make 3.5K (w/ 5x zoom + fps override to 23.976 enabled) working and switch as described to the UHD crop mode...

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on April 28, 2017, 05:18:38 PM

and yet it isn't continuous even if w FPS override enabled down to 20p.

it seems there is a problem with your cf card as 49.3 MB/s is too slow. 77.1MB/s should be no problem for continuous recording.
Maybe try to run a new cf card benchmark...

hjfilmspeed

So I decided to test the 5k mode at 6fps 10bit (not lossless) 2.35:1 and ..... Continuous. This is going to be wild for timelapsing!

beauchampy

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on April 29, 2017, 12:09:14 AM
So I decided to test the 5k mode at 6fps 10bit (not lossless) 2.35:1 and ..... Continuous. This is going to be wild for timelapsing!

Just curious. Why would you choose to shoot a timelapse this way compared to shooting raw stills using the intervalometer? I don't shoot a lot of timelapse, so genuinely curious.

hjfilmspeed

@beauchampy No shutter actuations and a slightly nicer workflow IMO. The only issue would be battery life for really long lapses. The Mark iv shuts off the LCD.  But for 1fps or maybe .5 fps it would be awesome. Havent tried it yet.

budafilms

Wich continous maximum resolution can I use for my new full length movie?

(I promess next Cannes festival take a picture in the end of the movie with the logo of ML)

;)

Off topic: I dreamed recording 4k watching by the optical view, not the viewfinder  :D

a1ex

Quote from: a1ex on April 27, 2017, 11:44:01 PM
Hey Alex, unfortunately those changes you made to the latest build (2017-04-27 21:51) didn't do it. It still only records 6 seconds ALL-I or IPB before I get an "emergency stop" notification on the live view.

Solved. The changes were non-trivial, but since it was a memory management issue, it got higher priority.

At 1920x1080 24p 12-bit lossless, and a bit of luck (because of the variable bitrate) recording can be continuous even with both RAW and H.264 on the same card. With H.264 on SD and RAW on CF, both recorders have *much* more headroom.

Careful when the card gets full, as this event is not handled very well (and it requires more reverse engineering to figure it out).

Quote from: jimiz on April 26, 2017, 06:50:13 PM
preview is slow and gray  , recording number  stay green....(think normal) but after 10-15 seconds ...STOP !

Solved that too (although I wish I had a proper bug report). The real-time estimations (and the indicator color) were completely messed up in lossless recording modes, and just OK-ish in uncompressed mode (with estimations being far away from actual recording times).

goldenchild9to5

hjfilmspeed

goldenchild9to5

@a1ex Thank you for the new build, will give it a spin today. 

pocketrubbish

Wow, the latest build is very stable and much more fool proof! Got 48p 1080 working flawlessly and the full res live view puts up no fuss at all. I really love the total frame count at the end, very useful.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should drive out somewhere this evening and do another test... maybe I'll go to the beach.

a1ex

I've cherry-picked some changes from this branch, to be included in the main builds (for which I need some help with code review). First round:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/827
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/828
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/819 (last few commits)
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/825 (older, but no reviews yet)

Next on the list:
- compressed_raw (without all the changes required for 4K, which are mostly 5D3-specific), so you can start porting it on other cameras
- compressed_raw with lower bit depth (I'd like to keep them separate, so you can focus on plain 14-bit lossless and then move on to more complicated stuff)
- H.264 proxy (there are few changes, but currently entangled in the middle of other 4K experiments)

If you are wondering why: this branch became pretty complex (includes many changes that are not exactly related) and many of these things are not portable to other cameras, or just highly experimental. Splitting it into small logical chunks should make it a bit more manageable.

giarcpnw

https://youtu.be/ZdvKALy58Es

Bunch of 3520x1320 12bit shot last night and this morning. Sadly, youtube compresses the shit out of it but, man, you should see it in prores at full size. Glorious!!

Slightly graded in AE with VisionColor Osiris LUTs.

lostfeliz

Looks great, giarcpnw. The shot of your dog looks out of a feature film. I was just at that spot yesterday. Then you freaked me out because I also have the same hummingbird feeder and hedge!  :D

giarcpnw

Quote from: lostfeliz on April 30, 2017, 02:46:35 AM
Looks great, giarcpnw. The shot of your dog looks out of a feature film. I was just at that spot yesterday. Then you freaked me out because I also have the same hummingbird feeder and hedge!  :D

Doesn't every Angelino have an ivy hedge and HB feeder? ;-) 

Thanks, each shot went well over 30 seconds, I just didn't want to bore everyone. I'll push it further another day but it seem pretty stable for all intents and purposes. Pretty amazing @a1ex!

Now, to shoot something with it!!

lostfeliz

Because the preview in 3k and above is so laggy, I hadn't thought of plugging in my monitor to it. But tonight I tried it out. The field of view is about 40% of what's on camera screen and being recorded. But it's great for focusing and no lag. If you can get used to operating with two monitors (one for composition and one for focus), you can really shoot a 3k project with a 5diii. Hell, if you had a focus puller you'd be in even better shape.

The HDMI monitor output (when mirroring, at least) is completely centered. Short of being the correct frame without jaggy lag, I'm wondering if the HDMI mirrored output could be panned as desired to frame what you want to see to keep in focus.

The cropped panning control knob does something when you use it but the screen then pop back to how they were.

rob_6

Quote from: lostfeliz on April 30, 2017, 08:00:53 AM
Because the preview in 3k and above is so laggy, I hadn't thought of plugging in my monitor to it. But tonight I tried it out. The field of view is about 40% of what's on camera screen and being recorded. But it's great for focusing and no lag. If you can get used to operating with two monitors (one for composition and one for focus), you can really shoot a 3k project with a 5diii. Hell, if you hades  a focus puller you'd be in even better shape.

The HDMI monitor output (when mirroring, at least) is completely centered. Short of being the correct frame without jaggy lag, I'm wondering if the HDMI mirrored output could be panned as desired to frame what you want to see to keep in focus.

The cropped panning control knob does something when you use it but the screen then pop back to how they were.

Thanks for posting this info! Just curious. Are you using 1.2.3 firmware or 1.1.3? Thanks!

lostfeliz

I was doing exposure tests and the exposure lowered dramatically when I switched from 14-bit lossless to 12-bit lossless. Settings: Crop 3.5, 3072x1320. Is this to be expected?

Rob, I'm running 1.2.3.

a1ex

The exposure stays the same; only the real-time preview gets darker. That's how it works. The non-realtime preview should be correct.

Refer to the initial commit and the subsequent ones.

rudimental

Hello :)
I wanted to ask, if, with all the new development and discoveries you guys made lately, there is a way to improve/shorten rolling shutter ms for normal 1080p recording.