Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mucher

I haven't been following for a while, so it might be a huge task to follow up. May someone spare a second to kindly tell me if that 1/3 stop reduction in highlight register trick in 7D been solved (I forgot what it was called)?

Oh,  correct. I found it here:
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features
EXPO_ISO_DIGIC is called, isn't it? Unsolved.

a1ex

EXPO_ISO_DIGIC is an old ISO tweak for H.264.

The new one will be a module, so it will appear at the top of the list.

darkcarthage

So i'm a noob at this but have a few questions.

Installing ML is easy as - formatting CF card, placing the ML zip file inside root of CF card and running "firmware update" through canon's firmware?

Also ML is installed to the CF card, meaning if i insert another CF card, will canon's firmware bootup?

Uninstalling is as easy as running "firmware update" from ML?

Would i need a CF card reader or the usb cable -> 7d will suffice?

Thankyou.

Walter Schulz

You need a cardreader. I recommend Kingston FCR-HS3.
All other questions are covered in FAQ, user guide and first post of this thread.

darkcarthage

I got a card reader, but the first page has no mention of making the card "bootable" via EOSCARD.

Edit : The EOS card method is to avoid the firmware update method, got it :)

darkcarthage

So, i followed the instructions, when it said restart the camera, I turned it off then on.

Nothing changed, the canon menu shows up. Just the firmware now reads 2.0.3 ml - off

Did i do something wrong?

Edit: Got it working by a restart :p

tonybeccar

Hi all!

I've been losing track on the Raw status on the 7D... can somebody that has been using it tell me a stable version for it?

I tried a couple last week but during shooting I got several errors and skipped frames on a KP 64GB 1066x, weird right? 30% idle the buffer said.

Thanks a bunch!

arrinkiiii

i think  1066x cards are more slow then 1000x

Danialdaneshmand

Ironically with this last version i could get a clear shot for 10seconds w/o a single skipped frame on full resolution with a 8GB Sandisk 50mb/s.
Really amazing!

tonybeccar

Thanks for your answers!

Anyone using it on a regular basis? A version number? Tragic lantern or magic lantern?

Frank7D

Tony, the latest magic lantern for 7D has been working fine for me. It is also faster than most older versions, thanks to some recent improvements.

b4vendetta

This is a first post for me and I curious how stable the current version of ML for my 7D will be. Will it brick my camera or will my raw footage be 90% corrupt frames?

I'm not a noob to shooting just a noob to ML.

Any feedback helps.

thanks.

N/A

Quote from: b4vendetta on October 09, 2014, 09:56:06 PM
This is a first post for me and I curious how stable the current version of ML for my 7D will be. Will it brick my camera or will my raw footage be 90% corrupt frames?

I'm not a noob to shooting just a noob to ML.

Any feedback helps.

thanks.
Take the time to read through this thread and many others and you'll quickly realize that the ML devs go to great lengths to avoid putting out code that will brick your camera or ruin your footage. I've shot dozens of commercials, music and promotional videos, even campaign ads with ML on the 7d and T3i over the past few years and have yet to experience any major issues.
As long as your reading comprehension and direction following skills are up to par, you and your camera will be fine, and better off with ML installed, imho.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

tonybeccar

QuoteI've shot dozens of commercials, music and promotional videos, even campaign ads with ML on the 7d and T3i over the past few years

Wow... would love to see some of your work with the 7D! Is it online? :)

N/A

Check the "Share your Videos" section, just posted one.

tonybeccar

Wow it looks really good!! Congrats!! Any advice on shooting crop mode on the 7D? I mean, the preview it's awful! hehe. Also, th versions that I use only let me chose until 2046 res horizontal i think, and the 25xx it's not available. Do you know something about that?

N/A

Thanks, the uncompressed version is MUCH better looking, though. I submitted a feature request to have the ML preview display on half shutter while in Canon preview crop mode, but I'm not sure if its possible.
Depends on what you're framing, I find that if I keep the person's face framed in the upper right or left corner, it's almost always properly framed. Choose 2560x1200, or whatever max rez is, and it limits the rez to 2496x whatever height you pick

vermenton

is there a possibility by upgrading to Magiclantern , I could attached the canon 7d to a motion sensor to shoot video when the trigger is activated.

Denis

dlrpgmsvc

Where I can open a technical topic on a specific 7D porting feature (for example dual_iso for video) where to discuss and share programming results until the goal is reached ?
Many thanks !
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Ari747

Oh wise ones!

I had just THREE questions:
a) Is there a stable release or any other nightly build with reasonable success for 7d that i can try (First timer!!). Can i run it with the latest firmware 2.0.5?
b) Once we have the ML on the CF card and run it, is removing ML as simple as removing that memory card and putting in a new memory card into the camera? Does it affect the baseline functionality (if the ML is running alongside only from the card).
c) Related to Question b) --> If ML runs only from the Memory card and if we dont switch off between installs, remove memory card when the red light is still flashing (or) run out of battery mid-way etc (or) dont do anything stupid which is a combination of these 3.....is there a real chance to BRICK the device?

Walter Schulz

Nightly Builds only.
Rest of a) and b) is answered in first post of this thread or FAQ/User Guide.
Remark to b): There will be a delay (<2 sec) during camera startup and wake from powersave mode even if a card is not enabled to run ML.

Number of bricked 7Ds by nightly builds (outside devs dungeon) = Zero (known to me).
And of course there is a chance because it is absolutely impossible to exclude such failures.

jman

Can someone P L E A S E tell me why I can't shoot more than one dual iso photo. What happens is that I shoot a pic. When I review it, it has the dual scan lines. Then I try to shoot the next pic and no scan lines. W H A T do I have to do to reset this or what am I doing wrong??? Cheers !!

Walter Schulz

Expo -> Dual ISO -> Alternate frames only

dlrpgmsvc

If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

jman

Can someone P L E A S E tell me why I can't shoot more than one dual iso photo. What happens is that I shoot a pic. When I review it, it has the dual scan lines. Then I try to shoot the next pic and no scan lines. W H A T do I have to do to reset this or what am I doing wrong??? Cheers !!

Thanks Walter.....Expo -> Dual ISO -> Alternate frames only

I took pics without alt frames only. When I turn the camera on and take a pic it has both scan lines.  I really don't want to take 2 pics of the same subject with alt frames. I find that I have to turn the camera off and on between each shot if I do not use Alternate frames only. I was wondering why there is no reset type of thing. Anyway the single pics process fine in cr2hdr.