Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

Quote from: 12georgiadis on September 16, 2018, 09:56:03 PM
Do we have continuous rec in 1080p 24fps 14bit lossless +12 bits lossless with eosm  or only with 8...11bits ?

Tricky question to answer. The mv1080 mode is missing on the EOSM but Danne has a crop_rec module that will put it in mv1080 mode. He also has builds with the experimental sd_uhs module which allows longer recording times at higher resolutions. I've recorded continuous 2520x1080 at 24fps with audio using his builds. Note that all APS-C cameras in mv1080 mode will only record a maximum of about 1736x976. You probably already know this but it is worth repeating for newer users that might be reading this.

12georgiadis

Quote from: dfort on September 17, 2018, 05:15:28 PM
Tricky question to answer. The mv1080 mode is missing on the EOSM but Danne has a crop_rec module that will put it in mv1080 mode. He also has builds with the experimental sd_uhs module which allows longer recording times at higher resolutions. I've recorded continuous 2520x1080 at 24fps with audio using his builds. Note that all APS-C cameras in mv1080 mode will only record a maximum of about 1736x976. You probably already know this but it is worth repeating for newer users that might be reading this.
Thank you Dfort, it's always good to refresh our mind and the progress of the thread. I just bought an EOS-M and want to experiment. That's why I'm asking about the current possibilites. So, if I understand correctly, there is a build with Sd_uhs hack + MV1080 (1736*976) and 2520*1080 or this are all separate builds ? 1736*976 is lineskip 3X3 ?

Danne

Here is a build which will work with crop_rec high res builds and sd_uhs hack:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Aug07.EOSM202_mv1080p.zip

Not gonna work so good with non crop modes.

12georgiadis

Thank you Danne. WHen you say Non crop mode you mean 1736*976 ?

Danne

Yes, if you set that with the mv1080p crop setting you get nice 16:9 output.

12georgiadis

BSimo

Quote from: dfort on March 27, 2018, 05:24:35 AM
I've got a couple of third party EF-M to EF adapters. The top one is a Fotasy and the bottom one a Fotodiox. Note that the Fotasy adapter has a push button. This is an important difference. One of my lenses almost got stuck on the Fotasy adapter. No problems with the Fotodiox adapter.

Turns out that the Fotodiox adapter is pretty much identical to the Canon adapter. FYI--buyer beware.

Hi! Sorry the OT
I bought a Viltrox EF adapter and it works like a charm with EF lenses. A few a days ago a tried to add a mechanical Nikon adapter to Viltrox to put an AIS lens on my EOSM but when I tried to shoot a photo, shutter didn't work. Do you know if Fotasy, Fotodiox and Canon adapters have the same issue?

Thanks!
EOS M 2.0.2 | [s]5D III[/s] | [s]600D[/s]

dfort

The mechanical adapter doesn't communicate with the camera so it "thinks" there's no lens attached.

BSimo

It works, thank you very much!

You are doing a great work with this camera. ;)
EOS M 2.0.2 | [s]5D III[/s] | [s]600D[/s]

dfort

You mean you dumped your other cameras and kept the EOSM?

mgorky

Hi, so i'm just setting up a EOS M and had already updated the firmware, when I noticed here that magic lantern seems to be still in a rough beta mode for 203? Is this build proving to be stable and debuted yet?
https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd.2018Mar10.EOSM203.zip

I'm wondering, compared head to head, would anyone venture to say if ML running a stable build on 202 vs ML on 203 at this time, which is over all better to use for film and ect? What are the trade offs?

thanks!

dfort

That build should be fine but it is still experimental meaning that there hasn't been enough user feedback to make the switch from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3 in the main repository. You can do a firmware update to regress to 2.0.2. To get the Canon firmware for 2.0.2 you can click on the "Useful Links" button on the nightly downloads page. I've also got a EOSM Canon Firmware for Testers.zip package with both 2.0.2. and 2.0.3 Canon updaters on my Bitbucket downloads page.

Teamsleepkid

any one have the 1x3 binning working on eosm yet? 5d3 quality and no aliasing? can it possibly be true? 8)
EOS M

ccc

So how many people are using 203 magic lantern for the m?
I'm thinking about going for , I'm really hyped on it and I'm very new to magic lantern

EOS M dude 1

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on September 22, 2018, 07:31:25 AM
any one have the 1x3 binning working on eosm yet? 5d3 quality and no aliasing? can it possibly be true? 8)

Looking forward to this too.  :)

Anyone tried the newest croprec.mo (for 700D) on the EOSM? Does it work?

jtwhissel

I am having some problems with getting MV1080 to work on my EOS-M I made a video showing the issue that I am having. It only happens after I record something and requires a full reboot to fix it.

https://youtu.be/ryF2BldZ2x4

Fadis

I played the raw recording method, you know - it bothers to use postproduction, even in some minor situations.
I would like to get good quality in H264. Does the magical flashlight improve the quality in 264? I am very upset by the quality of comparing with the former Sony A6000 camera.

Or  move to a more new , compact m100?

Beerbread

Hey guys! Fantastic work on this camera! I'm loving every second of it!

I'm sure this was answered ad nauseam, but has there been any updates in getting this camera to work on Android or at least there's a workaround for it? I've been wanting to use my tablet as a monitor but I can't seem to get the EOS M to communicate with qDslrDashboard. It would connect very briefly via USB and then disconnect again. I can't seem to narrow down the search for more information. Any thoughts?

bakersdozen

As far as I know, the EOSM is still not supported in DSLR controller or Dashboard. I don't think the code has been cracked yet. It's been showing in development on DSLR Controller for as long as I can remember.
EOS M + 5D3

grabberblue

Quote from: Danne on September 17, 2018, 08:39:23 PM
Here is a build which will work with crop_rec high res builds and sd_uhs hack:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2018Aug07.EOSM202_mv1080p.zip

Not gonna work so good with non crop modes.

Just tried this build, recording on the 2.5k preset ends around 8 seconds. I think there is some sort of issue with the sd card hack autorun.

Danne

8 sec sounds about right with 2.5k setting on.

lintel

Hello all - I'm a longtime lurker, seldom a poster. I've been messing with using my EOSM as a Digital Super 8 camera and I'm pretty happy with the results.

For the video below I used the following setup.

6mm f/1.2 Pentax TV lens (paper shim between lens and C mount-EOSM adapter, for infinity focus)
Tiffen Digital Diffusion 5 filter (reduces moire artefacts)
EOSM with latest ML build
18fps override (exact)
5x zoom
12bit lossless RAW
4:3 aspect
1440 x 1080

This video has effects applied - FilmConvert's Super 8 grain; FCPX native "aged film" effect applied very sparingly for jitter and a little dust; a telecine'd Super 8 black frame (keyed over footage). If there is interest, I can post the ungraded footage.

https://vimeo.com/294197368/fb4876b181

12georgiadis

Hi !
I just made some tests with magiclantern-Nightly.2018Aug07.EOSM202_mv1080p.
I used San disk Extreme 95MB/s
1008/1018, lossless 12, 24fps, cropmode X5. I only had corrupted clips. I'll test tomorrow with another sd card.
I noticed that my sound was disabled everytime I use eosm with magiclantern. I even tried with H264 normal and crop mode with no luck. It's not the case without magiclantern.
Is it normal ?
I tried to use h264 proxy with cropmode but it didn't work. Do you think it will be possible to enable it in the future ?
Do you have other recommandations ??
Thank you !

dfort

Quote from: 12georgiadis on October 10, 2018, 11:44:08 PM
I just made some tests with magiclantern-Nightly.2018Aug07.EOSM202_mv1080p.

That build from Danne is about as bleeding edge as you can get. Did you remember to wear gloves and safety goggles before starting your camera?

Seriously, I just downloaded and tried out that build and it took me a few tries but it does work--pretty amazing really.

Settings I used:

Make sure the Canon Movie setting is on 1280x720/60 (very important)

Loaded these modules:

crop_rec
lua
mlv_lite
mlv_snd
sd_uhs

In the LUA menu select these scripts to Autorun:

mv1080p_12bit_iso100_24fps
enable SD overclocking

I also used a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s card and got continuous recording 1736x936 with audio.

You are really pushing it with the H.264 proxy. That used to be the only way to get the EOSM to record mv1080 video but we were lucky to get a few uncorrupt frames.

12georgiadis

Quote from: dfort on October 12, 2018, 12:12:24 AM
That build from Danne is about as bleeding edge as you can get. Did you remember to wear gloves and safety goggles before starting your camera?

Seriously, I just downloaded and tried out that build and it took me a few tries but it does work--pretty amazing really.

Settings I used:

Make sure the Canon Movie setting is on 1280x720/60 (very important)

Loaded these modules:

crop_rec
lua
mlv_lite
mlv_snd
sd_uhs

In the LUA menu select these scripts to Autorun:

mv1080p_12bit_iso100_24fps
enable SD overclocking

I also used a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s card and got continuous recording 1736x936 with audio.

You are really pushing it with the H.264 proxy. That used to be the only way to get the EOSM to record mv1080 video but we were lucky to get a few uncorrupt frames.
Thank you Dfort for all these useful informations ! Very cool if we can get 1736x936 with audio!
Do you get it in cropmode or normal with line skip ?
I'm just starting with EOSM and it was a bit frustrating when you come from 5D3 but this is because I didn't know these hidden tips =)
I need H264 proxy for my workflow and it doesn't matter if I can get only 8...11 losless with EOS-M... I prefer to have a cool preview and offline/online workflow !
Do you put your H264 settings in 0.1x ?

What are the risks to enable sd overcloacking ? I didn't use this option in my last test.
Next month, I go to HK and I'd like to find a viltrox speedbooster EF-M to make some test in cropmode with the 11-22mm!