Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordancolburn

The nightly build is now available here:
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

Installation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 2.0.2.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

Thanks a1ex   //Audionut.

I moved some of the great  work 1% did to get ML functioning on the EOSM for firmware 2.02 back into the main ML code base.  I'm sure its missing some features and bugs from it's TL counterpart, but if you are interested in testing ML and helping make it stable and in sync with the code for other ML cameras for all base features, please comment here and I'll do my best to port 1%s bugfixes, or to test, create issues for new bugs and attempt to solve.  IMO, the main focus is ensuring all basic ML functions work well before branching out to things like raw video.

(I have not tried the nightly yet, but my own local compile from a few nights ago works for me)

jordancolburn

Finally got a chance to test the nightly.  It works for me, with a couple of bugs the I plan to work on.  The canon menus seem to briefly overlay the ML menus during things like half shutter presses and autofocus face recognition, but this does not seem to affect taking pictures or video.  Also, if you switch the camera off when in 3x crop movie mode and change to a card without ML, there is no way to go back to regular movie mode without rebooting from a ML card and changing it back to uncropped movie mode.

gary2013

thanx Jordan. The display for the shutter seems strange with all the numbers and letters. Can we get the normal 1/48 and so on back? Headphone does not work. I did record some raw at 720p24, but I don't think it is MLV. There was no playback of the file in the File Manager section like before.

Deedre

Quote from: jordancolburn on December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM
I moved some of the great  work 1% did to get ML functioning on the EOSM for firmware 2.02 back into the main ML code base.  I'm sure its missing some features and bugs from it's TL counterpart, but if you are interested in testing ML and helping make it stable and in sync with the code for other ML cameras for all base features, please comment here and I'll do my best to port 1%s bugfixes, or to test, create issues for new bugs and attempt to solve.  IMO, the main focus is ensuring all basic ML functions work well before branching out to things like raw video.

(I have not tried the nightly yet, but my own local compile from a few nights ago works for me)

Hi, I'm new here. I've been using ML on my T2i for over two years now. So when I got my EOS-M last month I was elated to know that there was ML for it. I do mostly video with my cameras and audio controls are the most important features to me. Is there a build that has the controls featured on the homepage EOS-M pic?

Canon eos m

I have tested the latest release of the EOS ML firmware. There are quite a few bugs and some features do not seem to be active yet. Dual ISO/ ETTR need some working on.

The pink dots while RAW recording are still seen. RAW video replay does not work.

However, I just discovered the H.264 recording at 3X zoom. And wow! This feature alone makes this release worth a million bucks.

Hope to see more coming on in the coming days, weeks and months. Thank you for the great work.

A fan of all ML  ;)
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Oswald

Quote from: Canon eos m on December 31, 2013, 12:45:52 PM

However, I just discovered the H.264 recording at 3X zoom. And wow! This feature alone makes this release worth a million bucks.
How you make it?  Video? :)
7D, EOS-M & 100D.100b ΒΆ  Sigma 18-35mm, Canon 50mm F1.8, 22 STM, 8-48mm f1.0, 18-55 EF-M STM

Canon eos m

Quote from: Oswald on December 31, 2013, 01:54:20 PM

Not difficult. H.264 will record as your camera normally should record.

Go to the ML video interface. Keep RAW recording off. Put the camera in video mode by choosing this option on the dial on top left of the camera. Push the red record button and you will have recorded both video and audio.

Play around with the settings a bit. Choosing VBR and higher bit rates will improve the video quality substantially. 
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

gary2013

it would be good to have the audio return to it's ON state after shooting raw and then going back to shooting H264. Raw disables the sound, so enable the audio when we disable the raw settings to go back to H264.

jordancolburn

Quote from: Oswald on December 31, 2013, 01:54:20 PM
There is a setting under the video tab in the ML menu that lets you turn on/off the 3x crop.  This uses the center area of the sensor and gets rid of moire and aliasing.  With the 22mm lens, this feature gives you a lot of flexibility to get semi-wide and close up shots in a small package.

gary2013

Fix the red box temp settings. I have posted before that it is definitely incorrect saying it is Centigrade. It should be down to around 30C and my M is always showing around 100C more or less even when I first turn it on.

gary2013

Quote from: jordancolburn on December 31, 2013, 03:59:55 PM
There is a setting under the video tab in the ML menu that lets you turn on/off the 3x crop.  This uses the center area of the sensor and gets rid of moire and aliasing.  With the 22mm lens, this feature gives you a lot of flexibility to get semi-wide and close up shots in a small package.
I believe it also gets rid of aliasing and moire since it is not using line skipping algorithms.

jordancolburn

Quote from: gary2013 on December 31, 2013, 03:56:39 PM
it would be good to have the audio return to it's ON state after shooting raw and then going back to shooting H264. Raw disables the sound, so enable the audio when we disable the raw settings to go back to H264.
Thanks, I think this was an issue on TL as well.  I will add it to the list.

jordancolburn

Quote from: gary2013 on December 31, 2013, 03:59:59 PM
Fix the red box temp settings. I have posted before that it is definitely incorrect saying it is Centigrade. It should be down to around 30C and my M is always showing around 100C more or less even when I first turn it on.
Yes, I think there might be more than just changing C to F going on.  My camera has shown temps of 100C after just turning on in a cool room, and the camera is very cool to the touch.  I will add this as well.

jordancolburn

Quote from: Canon eos m on December 31, 2013, 12:45:52 PM
I have tested the latest release of the EOS ML firmware. There are quite a few bugs and some features do not seem to be active yet. Dual ISO/ ETTR need some working on.

The pink dots while RAW recording are still seen. RAW video replay does not work.

I think ETTR hints on the menu are correct, but the actual feature isn't correct.  I have not tried dual ISO on any camera, so I can't speak to that, but again, my focus is weird menu things, audio/video features before working on dual ISO, raw, etc.

Pink dots are just what this camera does from hardware, the pink dot remover will take care of that.  Raw playback was working (slowly) on TL, so when I get to working on that, it shouldn't be too bad to pull over.

jordancolburn

Quote from: gary2013 on December 31, 2013, 05:23:14 AM
thanx Jordan. The display for the shutter seems strange with all the numbers and letters. Can we get the normal 1/48 and so on back? Headphone does not work. I did record some raw at 720p24, but I don't think it is MLV. There was no playback of the file in the File Manager section like before.
I'll look into the shutter display.  I  never tried it, but I don't think headphone was ever working, even on TL.

gary2013

Quote from: jordancolburn on December 31, 2013, 04:37:13 PM

I'll look into the shutter display.  I  never tried it, but I don't think headphone was ever working, even on TL.
I forgot to say the shutter "menu settings", not the main display screen.

atomas72

Hi all,
I tryed some versions of PDR but no one seems to work, where I can find a correct PDR for this eos-ml version?
Thanks,
Tom

tob

Quote from: jordancolburn on December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Did you figure out the shutter bug?

jordancolburn

Quote from: tob on January 01, 2014, 10:12:10 PM

Did you figure out the shutter bug?
No, I'm not sure I've seen any steps to reproduce it, and I haven't experienced it myself.

jordancolburn

Quote from: gary2013 on December 31, 2013, 08:15:42 PM
I forgot to say the shutter "menu settings", not the main display screen.
Yeah, the menu settings are really weird, I will look into fixing it.  As a work around you can see what the actual shutter value is by pressing set while on the shutter menu to hide the rest of the menu options and looking at bottom ML bar.

Canon eos m

Keep up the good work.
You have rekindled my joy in using the EOSM.
Like I said before, the 3x mode on H.264 is fantastic. The quality is almost cinema grade - better than the RAW output on my 5d Mark3 - or am I dreaming?
After using the EOSM these past few days, I have to really force myself to pick up my 5DM3 for anything at all.
One wish is to see the pinkdot issue vanish magically (w/o having to use the PDR).
Second, when recording on VBR mode at -16 bit rate, the first few videos are reasonably long (about 1 minute or more), but all video recordings that follow are not more than 3-5 seconds even if I bring down the bit rate. There seems to be a bug somewhere. 

gary2013

Quote from: jordancolburn on January 02, 2014, 01:21:29 AM
No, I'm not sure I've seen any steps to reproduce it, and I haven't experienced it myself.
I still have the shutter bug but I have a workaround that I explained before in detail. Basically, I have to do a second format in the Canon menu keeping the ML files on the card. The downside is I lose my 8gb exfat format because Canon turns it back to the 4gb format. If I try a new exfat format on my computer, as soon as I put the card back in the camera, it makes me do a new fir install and then the shutter bug is back. So, I still hope the shutterbug gets fixed so I can use my camera with an exfat format for 8gb recordings. 8gb helps for doing interviews.

Ortwin

All of the new EOS M nightly builds so far seem to be missing the .FIR-file for installation. I checked one of the logs an there indeed seemed to be an error when building it.

Can I upgrade from Tragic Lantern to these new builds without reinstalling the fimware update on my camera?

1%

Yes, after you have the boot flag set you can add any bin/ml files that will run.

RavingRover

I have a 60/80 MBps SDHC UHS-I card, I can get up to 140mbps compressed video with this card - CBR 2.9x.

BUT, I can NOT get any more than the buffer's worth of RAW video.

I have tried both TL (Nov 30 & Dec 26 zips) and ML (Jan 02 zip) builds.

What exact settings, loaded modules are needed, and ANY other advice to help solve this - PLEASE !!

OR does RAW not work at all yet ?

TIA!