Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canon eos m

Hi could someone guide me on how to load ML raw capability on my EOS M.

My workflow till now:

1. I copied Alpha 1 on the SD card.
2. Replaced it autoexe file and pasted the module from the latest upgrade available.

Now can do HDR and other stuff but cannot figure out the RAW workflow.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

xpstudio

Quote from: 1% on June 09, 2013, 06:41:50 AM
Did squeeze change though... it should "unsqueeze" all the time... but not sure if thats just a meta data setting. I'll have to experiment some more. So its like 5:3 ratio?

[EOSM] Better I hope.zip:

- it's still squeezed

- it's more like 3:1 ratio
EOS M 22mm | 18-35mm

mixer2

xpstudio sounds like you've not activated multishot nr, or you're not in photomode. i did the same mistake.
read this post from 1% and do exactly what he wrote (and don't switch back to movie mode afterwards, raw video recording has to be done in photo mode):
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3648.msg45050#msg45050

"Canon eos m"... just read that post too, it's explained there how it works.

1% it's squeezed by 5:3, yes. 1664/5:560/3 = 333:187 ~ 16:9. What exactly does "it should "unsqueeze" all the time... but not sure if that's just a meta data setting." mean? isn't it recording the correct aspect ratio anyways, but it's streched in the raw2dng converter? isn't it possible to just record the correct pixels, that it doesn't have to get "unsqueezed"?
any comments about if interleaved recording might be possible in far future? Of course this might lead to some trouble with the bayer matrix, since each line contains only blue or red color info. But this information can be calculated in the deinterlacing process. Alternativly recording 2 lines and then skipping two lines should solve the problem. Or don't you think we can get better results with an interlaced feature? i think with not or slow moving objects we can just get double of the resolution.

1%

720P mode on other cameras is the same (but 30P vs 60P).. the image in the raw buffer is really squeezed like that (not square pixels).. something has to unsqueeze it.. right now unsqueezing for 16*9 so thats why its still wrong.

Interlaced I doubt.. i guess it could move the zoom box, but no way is it fast enough.. 60P on SD cameras sucks all around. Only hope is switching LV to another mode.. I did it on 600D and got a big YUV buffer in photo mode for a while just have to find out how (not that easy).

mixer2

Sorry, i can just guess, since i don't know anything about canon firmware internals. Just thought you read it anyway bit-by-bit or pixel-by-pixel from the buffer and it might be possible to just modify the index that it skips some pixels. But that seems not to be the case.
So best chance to get more pixels without fast motion is to record less fps and interpolate the missing frames with slowmovideo in post.

So quality won't improve by solving the squeezing bug anyways? Then the only bug that reduces quality at the moment is the edge detection stuff, isn't it? As soon as that is resolved we will see the maximum of quality we can get out of the eos-m.

xpstudio

Thanks mixer2, I was in video mode all the time.

I'm wondering how you managed to record in 1600x540? I'm using SONY 94MB/s and can't write more than 33MB/s - 1280x544 (with a few skipped frames) is max I can get in 23.976 frames.
EOS M 22mm | 18-35mm

mixer2

Have you activated multishot nr? When you start recording, you'll see one of the messages "Alloc 29+21" or "Alloc 32+32+29" at the bottom left for a moment. Which one do you get?

1280x544 doesn't need 33mb/s, just ~ 27mb/s. Do you have raw sound recording activated, which does cause additional data?
I do use a Sandisk 45mb/s, but i don't think that your card speed is the problem.

xpstudio

Quote from: mixer2 on June 09, 2013, 11:00:11 AM
Have you activated multishot nr? When you start recording, you'll see one of the messages "Alloc 29+21" or "Alloc 32+32+29" at the bottom left for a moment. Which one do you get?

1280x544 doesn't need 33mb/s, just ~ 27mb/s. Do you have raw sound recording activated, which does cause additional data?
I do use a Sandisk 45mb/s, but i don't think that your card speed is the problem.

Not sure where to activate 'multishot nr'? I see "Alloc 29+21"
EOS M 22mm | 18-35mm

xpstudio

EOS M 22mm | 18-35mm

mixer2

Okey, nice...
I made a small video, that shows the steps to start recording, maybe this will help someone. I think it's easier to understand than in text form, since recording video in photo mode is not what you would expect first. I'm not sure, if the battery has to be removed every time, but i always start with removing battery to get a clean starting point and avoid problems.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/s3o76x7h0t7u0s3/startrawrec.webm

mdwhaley

Wow I feel stupid, I had the wrong noise reduction set. Now I am getting 1408x608 @ 23.976 continuous on a Sandisk 45MB/sec card. Really though since vertical resolution is maxed at 688 I like 1280x688 and it seems to not even use much of the buffer on that resolution

Canon eos m

When I turn on the power on my EOS M, I get the error "scripts dir missing". Is this of any concern.

Second, I have installed Alpha 1 and the Modules with the upgraded autoexe file on the EOS M. Any idea on how to use this combo for recording RAW video.

Whatever you folks discuss on this forum is technically challenging for me to understand. Is there a simple workflow video where I could learn to do this?
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

mixer2

For raw recording you've to download this file:
https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/[EOSM]%20Better%20I%20hope.zip
Overwrite the autoexec.bin on your sd-card with the one from the zip.
Then copy the two directories "SCRIPTS" and "MODULES" from the zip into the "ML" directory on your sd-card. (This will also solve the missing scripts dir warning)
Put the sd-card in your camera and you're ready to go. For activating raw recording check the video i posted 2 posts above.

Escaperoute

I've install ML on my new EOS-M. When i enable touch shutter, the camera froze and now normal shutter button don't work. Focusing work on half-press but camera don't take any picture when full press. Can anyone help me. I read all the thread in this post and i've install the new autoexec.bin but nothing work. I'm freaking out.

Canon eos m

Thank you Mixer2.

Error sorted and ML updated to latest. Now will try and follow you other instructions to see if I can manage to run RAW video on the EOS M.

Canon eos m

Hi Escaperoute,

Follow the instructions here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

This link provides a checklist of files that should be on the SD card to run ML trouble free.

Hope this helps.

Escaperoute

After a scaring period, now my 22mm eos m lens work, but only after i format the memory card and remove magic latern. By the way i can't uninstall ML. I follow the instruction but ML just install again.

But i can't get the 18-55 mm lens to work. It focus in half press but i can't take any shot with it. I saw something similar problem in this post but i've install the newest autoexec.bin but i can't get 18-55 mm lens to work.
Is there something happen to my lens.

With 22mm lens touch shutter work but with 18-55 m lens camera froze. Power button don't seem to work. Only after removing the battery camera seem to work. Can anyone HELP ME.

Canon eos m

Quote from: mixer2 on June 09, 2013, 05:48:10 PM
For raw recording you've to download this file:
https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/[EOSM]%20Better%20I%20hope.zip
Overwrite the autoexec.bin on your sd-card with the one from the zip.
Then copy the two directories "SCRIPTS" and "MODULES" from the zip into the "ML" directory on your sd-card. (This will also solve the missing scripts dir warning)
Put the sd-card in your camera and you're ready to go. For activating raw recording check the video i posted 2 posts above.

Not sure how I can get to the Modules on my EOS M.
When I two finger tap the touch screen, the complete ML menu comes up but the Modules screen is nowhere to be seen. What am I doing wrong?

1%

Heh, shutter release bug is a canon bug... thats why they are push a new firmware.

22mm and lots of other lenses working here like normal.

mixer2

Has the latest version any interesting changes? Disabled edge detection dots or fixed unsqueeze?

1%

Yea, I set it to 5:3 and tried 5d3 rawtype.. hopefully it worked, if not we'll look for another ratio/rawtype.

Escaperoute

I not thinking that shutter release bug is canon's coz when i remove the battery for 30 min or so and format the memory card, clear the camera setting with 22 mm attach and again clear the setting with 18-55 mm attach then shutter work fine for 18-55.

But i want to know what the bug is so i just install ML again and same thing happen. Right now i'm repeating the process all over again. Hope my 18-55 mm work again.

I'm gonna try the ML only after firmware 2.0 release and ML for EOS-M gets a new release. I sincerely hope canon and you guys can squash the bug and make a good camera perfect.

I'm greatful for all the dev hardwork and i'm enjoying my raw video for my 550D.

I hope after the much needed firmware update get release, ML devs gonna pay much needed attention for EOS-M.

Anyway you guys rock. Because of you guys i'm loving canon.

Canon eos m

Hi Mixer2 & 1%,

How do I activate the Modules on my screen for RAW video activation. The two finger tap does not bring up the modules window.

mixer2

@"Canon eos m" the modules window is the last tap on the normal ML menu. So just click "right" in ML menu, till you get to it.

@1%: Nice, i'll try as soon as i'm at home and report.

mdwhaley

Dots on this one are back

Quote from: 1% on June 09, 2013, 07:36:35 PM
Yea, I set it to 5:3 and tried 5d3 rawtype.. hopefully it worked, if not we'll look for another ratio/rawtype.