Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qsara

according to my last tests and your advices, I can get 25fps @ 1728x576 with frame skipping on, it skips 20 frames on 400, records at about 37.8MB/s continuously to Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s (low-level formatted) card. I'm now processing the files, I'll share the results if I have AF dots on the frames.

xpstudio

EOS M 22mm | 18-35mm

1%

Heh, so will have to try something else... stupid phase detection. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

qsara

do you think we can mask that dots on after effects with 2nd layer and some sharpening?

1%

You can try.. I'm going to run the rawtype test and see if any have no detection and no dots.. what is better tho, assuming we can't turn it off, the outlines or the dots.. .to me the outlines seem better/easier to mask.

qsara

just did, its killing the cpu and results still suck. you're right, we have to seek another option.

1%

So raw_type is causing high cpu usage? Did all 100 types go through?

qsara

no no, after effects killing the cpu :) it really doesn't worth to wait 1hour render for 15sec video

1%

I see...the dots are really hard to mask, the edge detection usually comes out with noise removal.

xpstudio

I found this to be the best settings at the moment:

and then in AE, I resized it to 1600X900. Looks fine but there are green/red dots around edges of the subject and I'm not sure how to remove them in AE. Tried with Magic Bullet Denoiser but without luck.
EOS M 22mm | 18-35mm

1%

I do force left.. thought about switching it on by default.. dunno what people are using though. GD off I dunno if people need on digic V. Did it increase write speed any.

Frame skipping I don't use, I'd rather it stop than randomly stutter.

qsara

Quote from: 1% on June 10, 2013, 12:57:13 AM
..GD off I dunno if people need on digic V. Did it increase write speed any...

with GD off I'm getting almost 18,5MB/s continuous write rates on same memory card (sandisk extreme 45MB/s 16GB) on 550D, but now I can see it can almost make 37MB/s average write rate on EOS M.. %100 performance increase if you ask me.

but I think I have to sell my all equipment and wait for 5D Mark III prices go down a bit. because 550D stuck at 20MB/s level and have to use twixtor to upscale frame rate from 12-17 to 24fps, and EOS M has little AF dots middle of video and takes forever to mask them on After Effects..

Canon eos m

Quote from: mixer2 on June 09, 2013, 07:52:59 PM
@"Canon eos m" the modules window is the last tap on the normal ML menu. So just click "right" in ML menu, till you get to it.

@1%: Nice, i'll try as soon as i'm at home and report.

I don't see the normal ML menu on my screen. After loading the latest upgrades of the autoexe.bin and modules I only see an excel sheet like menu with no modules section.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

1%

You hit junkie mode.. hit menu again.

I wouldn't give up on M yet, still have a chance at fixing some of this + new firmware update from canon.

qsara

Quote from: 1% on June 10, 2013, 03:51:39 AM
I wouldn't give up on M yet, still have a chance at fixing some of this + new firmware update from canon.

of course, its just a 5 day old camera :) not selling it before it takes 50000 photos. I wonder if it has that problem on 550D, mirror-curtain (of course it doesn't have the mirror but, there is still a curtain inside) wearing with highspeed continuous photo shooting.

Canon eos m

Quote from: 1% on June 10, 2013, 03:51:39 AM
You hit junkie mode.. hit menu again.

Thanks again 1%. Looks like now I am all set to proceed to the next phase of my journey. Will keep you posted of any issues during this phase.

For all those that need to learn the basics of RAW / HDR video the EOS M can be a deadly companion waiting to be exploited. Being able to do even 50% of those $4000++ devices out there says a lot.

The ML team and developers have just taken the whole Canon ecosystem by the horns and made photography so much more fun. And now Canon has promised an update to fix the focusing issues.

This is the best time to be alive! The best thing for me was joining the ecosystem and be able to draw and draw till my brain cannot take anymore.

These recent days, I figured out a way to make my 5D Mark 3 RAW capable using the ML upgrade. I tried taking a few videos with it using a Class 10 95MB/s Scandisk SD Card. I now manage to capture about 100 frames before the buffer runs out. Don't know why and don't know what it means not to be able to do more .... but .... the fact that I recorded RAW has got me loving it and wanting more.

God knows how I want to learn to take better videos and show these off to the world.

I also feel a part of the ML team in some strange way. Feels like everyone involved has one aim - to make everyone else more equipped so that the world can come as one to produce amazing pictures and films.

The day in not far when ML will be spoken about as a team that changed the world forever!

The day is not far when some of us will produce their first full length feature film and release it to commercial success and possibly win an OSCAR!
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

mixer2

sd-cards (at least the controllers in the cameras for the sd-cards) are to slow for the high resolutions you can get with 5d mark iii. so use a fast cf-card to get continuous recording...

Canon eos m

Ordered the Komputerbay CF 128GB 1000x. Should be delivered any day now.

qsara

Quote from: Canon eos m on June 10, 2013, 01:20:31 PM
Ordered the Komputerbay CF 128GB 1000x. Should be delivered any day now.

to use on EOS M? or just kidding?

qsara

anyone experienced frame drops on HDR video at high-bitrate (I'm using 9.0x now with sandisk extreme 45MB/s) ?

1%

This might be a problem with sync being different while recording.. ie MZ isn't in sync anymore so HDR might not be either. Did you try with normal rates? All I've gotten from EOS-M is way under max write of the card. Find an easily reproducible way to make it fail and I'll be able to test. Also does it have the problem with HDR raw?

qsara

Quote from: 1% on June 10, 2013, 04:31:49 PM
This might be a problem with sync being different while recording.. ie MZ isn't in sync anymore so HDR might not be either. Did you try with normal rates? All I've gotten from EOS-M is way under max write of the card. Find an easily reproducible way to make it fail and I'll be able to test. Also does it have the problem with HDR raw?

yeah, I've forgot to ask, where I can get that module. because I only have raw_rec.mo and MAGIC.SYM.

mixer2

Had no time to test the version from yesterday until now. As others said before, the dots are back. And it's still squeezed.
I think the problem is, that 16/9 (~1,77) is nearly the same as 5/3 (1,66) so we don't see much difference. The 5/3 is the relative squeeze factor for the already unsqueezed 16/9. 16/9 has to be unsqueezed by factor 5/3 not 1/1.
9*5/3 = 15... => the correct absolute unsqueeze factor should be 16/15.
let's assume the measurement wasn't perfect and we additionally lost some accuracy with rounding i think it's just 16/16 => 1/1.
I think it doesn't have to be unsqueezed at all. The problem was the unsqueeze factor of 16/9 which squeezed it to nearly 50% height.
Just a guess.... but that's  how it looks like for me.

qsara

the real question is, how canon manages to record video without AF dots.

because you know, there must be an optical shift.

Canon eos m

Quote from: qsara on June 10, 2013, 04:18:03 PM
anyone experienced frame drops on HDR video at high-bitrate (I'm using 9.0x now with sandisk extreme 45MB/s) ?

On my 5D M3.