Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Its phase detection AF... will have to try different types or af_raw and see if it gives peaking sprinkles or if its ok.

There are 3 more blue work units when multi shot NR is turned on... the 6D trick of putting bvram into shoot malloc to get them to free doesn't work... just shuts down LV.

So total theoretical memory is 6*~32 unless its just a mirror.

mdwhaley

I am now getting 1280x480 continuously. The aspect ratio is 2.5:1. Go up to 2.39:1 and stops at 44 frames. I am currently processing a clip but the squeeze and pink dots are still there but 1280x480 is pretty nice.

1%

Battery is charging... I'll see if I can do anything w/ pink dots or MZ while recording H264.

Zoom mode its not stretched... but its hella hard to get into when the memory thing is done and menu nor rec work..

Are dots gone?

EOSM getting an update... hopefully they improved the software. We'll have to start the fun all over again.

mixer2

Is there a new version with the dots bug fixed? I think the squeeze is even more annoying, because as long as it's squeezed there is no chance to test how much quality is possible with the eos m.
Anyone tested lower framerates (maybe 18 or 16) and then strech it to 24fps with slowmovideo or any similar software? If there isn't to fast motion this may work.
Is 1728 the absolute maximum possible horizontal resolution?
There is a bug with the zoom, if fps override is active. After zooming in it works for a moment and then the screen doesn't get updated anymore, until you zoom out again. Don't know if this bug is already known.
Anyone ever tried what the limit of the sd-controller in the eos m is? Will it be possible to get more than 24-26MB/s with a faster sd-card like the Sandisk Extreme Pro?

I hope they improved the autofocus in the new firmware as much as they say. Since the update seems to mainly change stuff at the autofocus system it shouldn't interfere that much with magic lantern, or do you think it will?

qsara

Quote from: mixer2 on June 06, 2013, 09:35:55 PM
Is there a new version with the dots bug fixed? I think the squeeze is even more annoying, because as long as it's squeezed there is no chance to test how much quality is possible with the eos m.
Anyone tested lower framerates (maybe 18 or 16) and then strech it to 24fps with slowmovideo or any similar software? If there isn't to fast motion this may work.
Is 1728 the absolute maximum possible horizontal resolution?
There is a bug with the zoom, if fps override is active. After zooming in it works for a moment and then the screen doesn't get updated anymore, until you zoom out again. Don't know if this bug is already known.
Anyone ever tried what the limit of the sd-controller in the eos m is? Will it be possible to get more than 24-26MB/s with a faster sd-card like the Sandisk Extreme Pro?

I hope they improved the autofocus in the new firmware as much as they say. Since the update seems to mainly change stuff at the autofocus system it shouldn't interfere that much with magic lantern, or do you think it will?

hello there, I've just got my M yesterday and begin testing a few minute ago.

first experiences like yours. I've expected more with digic5, because I already got 20MB/s with 550D (I've sold one of my 550D's to get M) a bit disappointed when I open DNGs on Photoshop, all red-pink-magenta-blue dots random at the scene... tried lots and lots of combinations but no luck, still gettin them, really annoying.

I've tested lower frame-rates even down to 2,5fps, if you adjust sth lower than 20fps image turns to pinkenta, I don't like it, but after effects corrects it nicely. another problem is frame stretched, 2:1 image looks like 3:1 its a bit annoying too, but software handles that too.

I've never experienced the zoom-bug problem, had trouble on 550D when RAW video module on, but M works fine.

I'm using Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s version and got stable 29,7MB/s recording rate. I don't think sandisk extreme pro 95MB/s helps, because its controllers max output rate (if its same as 650D) 50MB/s and on video you can get max 31MB/s peak. (you have to low level format to get max performance out of sandisk extreme series)

if/when they release the new firmware for AF speed and other stuff (new lens I think) we have to start all over again to crack the codes of canon.

M is a nice compact camera but gets too hot in short time (experimented about 30minutes and it was 38^C).

I've found a 2 bugs, one on sensor temp, my sensor always shows level above 100^C, I hope you can fix it. another on modules folder, if you put more than 1 module, camera never loads RAW module.

focus points

mixer2

The sheet on http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215 says, that the eos m sd-controller can handle up to 40mb/s. Is that real with a fast enough sd card, or more a theoretical value?

1%

Its like 6D controller.. so sandisk 45MB/s is the fastest.. Still getting the dots? I'll try some more thinks. I think it needs a custom module with unsqueeze all the time..

So it will load a single module all the time? The only way all modules load for me is cold boot in video mode.

mixer2

Is the version from June 03 the most recent version? If yes in that version are still dots.

I use a sandisk 45MB/s and get ~26mb/s.

If i start recording while in zoomed (5x or 10x), or zoom while recording, the recording stops.

1%

mixer2

I saw that there was another zip, but since the name didn't contain the word raw, like the others, i thought, that it doesn't address any raw video bugs.
I'll try the new version.

1%

All contain raw and latest raw commits pushed and at least slightly tested. So if no raw commits to main or TL6D then probably no raw related changes.. otherwise raw related changes.

mixer2

Dots are gone in that version, nice!
Still squeezed and zoom still stops recording.

Oh, not be able to record while zoomed was my fault. I switched back to movie mode before i started to record. Recording zoomed in photo mode does work.

I did some more tests and now, as i didn't use it the wrong way anymore ;), it records 30p 1280x544 without dots and not sqeezed. It continously writes ~ 35mb/s on the sd-card (tested 2 times with 1000 frames each, buffer is manly 1 * sometimes the secound * shows up for a moment, Sandisk 45MB/s sd-card used).
FPS override still doesn't work for me? Any hints? If i activate fps override zoom won't work at all. It just freezes the screen. If that would work even higher resolutions should be possible, shouldn't they?

30p 1280x592 (2.20:1) seems to be the absolute maximum for continous recording on the eos m (37 mb/s).

Okey, if i zoom in first and then activate raw video and fps override i can start recording, but the results are weird (preview is freezed while recording, but the raw video info refrehes)...

Is there any way to get an unsqueezed image with fps override, for recording 24p, so far? And is there any way to preview what is actually recorded, while it's recording?

1280x592 30p fills slowly the buffer, so 1280x544 30p seems to be the maximum.
I added the possible values to:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215

1%

Don't do 30P... do high jello fast TV until I figure out the timings for zooooom mode. First digicV camera that has different ones...  we won't get better image until I figure out how to turn LV into recording LV all the time.

Dots are gone but no sprinkles, right?

xpstudio

1280x544 resized to 1280x720 looks fine but there are some red dots on the edges of white objects:
EOS M 22mm | 18-35mm

mixer2

high jello works great, thx.

don't know what you exactly with sprinkles mean. everything looks quite correct. i can upload some examples if they help.

Is there any way to get the unzoomed result while recording in 5x zoom, so far? Or has to squeeze bug to be solved first?

1%

What aspect ratio should it be? I think handling normal lv like 720P mode will kinda fix this.

mdwhaley

At a glance I have no dots, just the squeeze at 1280x480. Again, only a glance, short on time this weekend

mixer2

Quote from: 1% on June 08, 2013, 04:05:50 AM
What aspect ratio should it be? I think handling normal lv like 720P mode will kinda fix this.

16:9 video is also squeezed without zoom. this is a 16:9 setting (even if magic lantern doesn't exactly record 16:9):

the pattern on the floor should be quadratic.

same resolution (nearly 16:9), but with 5x zoom:

result is not squeezed, but a very narrow angle of view (like 5x digital zoom).

nanomad

Quote from: xpstudio on June 07, 2013, 08:54:03 PM
1280x544 resized to 1280x720 looks fine but there are some red dots on the edges of white objects:

Pink/Green dots = edge detection debug stuff still enabled  >:(
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Yea and we have to find a different raw type.. I turn this off and its much much worse.

*Did you find a good rawtype for 650D? Or did MD_visible take out the af dots?

BTW, new build is up hopefully set to unseqeeze all the time (not zoom)... dunno if it helps.

mixer2

Maybe it's my fault, but i still get squeezed results without zoom. Do i have to use a special resolution or aspect ratio. Or do i have to activate any special option?

Oh and i asked it on the other thread, but here again: May it be possible in far future to get interlaced recording. For example 1728x992 24i. With not to fast motion, that may lead to better results than 1216x672 24p if it's converted to 1080p.

I did some more tests and it seems that the vertical resolution is reduced by the factor ~1,65 all the time (maybe that information helps to find the bug). So in post, just strech the image by factor 1,65 in the vertical and you'll get an unsqueezed image. So for 16:9 it's at the moment best to record 3:1. And then strech it to 16:9 in post. For example recording 1664x560 and then unsqueeze it to 1920x1080.

Now, that i know the factor to unsqueeze in post i did a small comparison to see if the current quality you can get with the eos m is already better than h.264. It was quite dark, so quality of all 3 is not at it's maximum.
The first is standard profile, with just some sharpening in post. The second is technicolor cinestyle with s-curve, increased saturation and bit more sharpening. The third is the raw video recorded in 1664x560 24p, unsqueezed and scaled up to 1920x1080. Added some noise filtering and other stuff in darktable to reduce noise and pink dots at the edges.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/eeuvfx47y0qktif/compare.webm

The postprocessing isn't optimal, since i'm not at the pc i've the correct video editing software installed (that's also the reason why i removed the noise in the raw images instead of the video, etc). I'll do a better testvideo tomorrow.

xpstudio

Quote from: mixer2 on June 08, 2013, 09:14:20 PM

Now, that i know the factor to unsqueeze in post i did a small comparison to see if the current quality you can get with the eos m is already better than h.264. It was quite dark, so quality of all 3 is not at it's maximum.
The first is standard profile, with just some sharpening in post. The second is technicolor cinestyle with s-curve, increased saturation and bit more sharpening. The third is the raw video recorded in 1664x560 24p, unsqueezed and scaled up to 1920x1080. Added some noise filtering and other stuff in darktable to reduce noise and pink dots at the edges.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/eeuvfx47y0qktif/compare.webm

The postprocessing isn't optimal, since i'm not at the pc i've the correct video editing software installed (that's also the reason why i removed the noise in the raw images instead of the video, etc). I'll do a better testvideo tomorrow.

Which card you are using when you can record 1664x560 24p? The best I can do is 1280x544 with SONY 94 MB/s - 16GB card
EOS M 22mm | 18-35mm

1%

Did squeeze change though... it should "unsqueeze" all the time... but not sure if thats just a meta data setting. I'll have to experiment some more. So its like 5:3 ratio?