50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaminkulkarni

@ andy600
thanks friend i tried doing the way u suggested! it worked it is recording raw ! bt after recodring  around 1 gb it is saying 1 frame dropped n its stoping automatically! im using sandisc extreme  CFcard (16gb) which has speed of 60mb\ps
whats this new problem coming up?

araucaria

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on August 15, 2013, 03:31:26 AM
I've been in direct contact with Mosaic Engineering. In fact, I am sending them a 50D tomorrow so that they can fit and design the new VAF filter!!! This is going to rock!
I'm eating my words rigght now ^^ good news.

clovis

Quote from: Andy600 on August 15, 2013, 09:56:16 AM
[possible bug] I had a message from a user on Vimeo who has reported that he can't change aperture when 'small hacks' is enabled for raw video (latest Tragic Lantern build). Can anyone confirm this? Try to change aperture with small hacks enabled and disabled. I only have manual lenses so I can't test it myself.

Andy:
No problem to change aperture with my Canon Lens 24/70mm 2.8
My lenses are: Nikon 50mm 1.4, Bronica 645 40mm, 75mm,150mm and Mamiya 210mm - all manual
I got:
With peak focus enable 62mb with KomputerBay 64
Peak focus disable  76mb
This the best build I have tested, very stable
Many thanks
Clovis

dsManning

Quote from: Andy600 on August 15, 2013, 09:56:16 AM
[possible bug] I had a message from a user on Vimeo who has reported that he can't change aperture when 'small hacks' is enabled for raw video (latest Tragic Lantern build). Can anyone confirm this? Try to change aperture with small hacks enabled and disabled. I only have manual lenses so I can't test it myself.

No problem here either.  Tested on 3 lenses.  Do they have Exp. Overide on?

Eran

Hello everyone.
@dsManning Exp. Overide was on. Can you change it while recording at the same time when 'small hacks' is enabled ?
I'm using Canon 50mm and the Sigma 30mm 1.4

dsManning

Quote from: Eran on August 15, 2013, 01:56:12 PM
Hello everyone.
@dsManning Exp. Overide was on. Can you change it while recording at the same time when 'small hacks' is enabled ?
I'm using Canon 50mm and the Sigma 30mm 1.4

Right you are.  Sorry for the false info, I don't think anyone specified to test WHILE recording.  Does not work here either.  Don't mess with aperture while recording much personally, because it is so clunky on auto lenses, it usually gives me camera shake.  I wonder if the new cine lenses have a problem with this?  Since those are digital, but have a smooth aperture ring.  Was going to buy one of those, but just built a new hackintosh, so money is tight!

EDIT A quick upload of some harsh light/shadow shots from yesterday.  Editing on a new machine is a whole new experience :)

johansugarev

Someone said earlier that the analog ISO on the 50D is from 200 to 1250; does that mean that 200 is better than 100 (i.e. more dynamic range and not digitally amplified)?

goldenchild9to5

@shaminkulkarni Welcome to the 50D club you will Love it  8)

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: johansugarev on August 15, 2013, 07:33:58 PM
Someone said earlier that the analog ISO on the 50D is from 200 to 1250; does that mean that 200 is better than 100 (i.e. more dynamic range and not digitally amplified)?

From my research 100 ISO is noisier even 200 ISO is noisy.. I would say to stay between 400-800 ISO for cleaner video output. 

johansugarev

Anyone to confirm what goldenchild9to5 has tested?

LEVISDAVIS

Got the 50D out in the mail today to reach Mosaic Engineering!

Got plenty of time to think about it... But, what would you consider an appropriate testing procedure for the 50D and the VAF?
Levi S. Davis

D.L. Watson

Quote from: johansugarev on August 16, 2013, 02:25:10 AM
Anyone to confirm what goldenchild9to5 has tested?

Here, I did a 50D ISO test. Click on the image to see in full-res.

ISO test with RAW set to normal exposure.

ISO test with RAW Exposure set to 5+

Looks like ISO 100 and 200 are very close. Hope this helps!
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

LEVISDAVIS

Thanks for the ISO test... Definitely keeps things in perspective when exposing to the right. I'm astonished to see how well ISO 500 is holding up. Thanks again.
Levi S. Davis

Supermac

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 16, 2013, 07:47:08 AM

Awesome stuff, did you have a look at 1250?

Viente

Here is the little music/promo/teaser video i'v made with 50D RAW...this was the first experience and i think i can't go back to H264 mode ever!

Molinsky

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 16, 2013, 07:47:08 AM

The 3200 looks better than 1600.  ???

Andy600

Quote from: Molinsky on August 16, 2013, 02:15:04 PM
The 3200 looks better than 1600.  ???

Looks identical to me... probably because it is  ::)

...and ISO 1250 will no doubt look the same too
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Molinsky

Quote from: Andy600 on August 16, 2013, 02:39:44 PM
Looks identical to me... probably because it is  ::)

...and ISO 1250 will no doubt look the same too

Nah, 3200 looks tightly better to me - or less worse. There's almost a red block above the "1600" tag. But, then again, in this image. Probably, like you said, the higher ISOs are not practically different.

johansugarev

It seems there is no point of going above ISO 1600 on this camera - they are all digitally amplified after 1250 or so. Also, DxOmark measured ISO 100 to be 157 and ISO 200 to be 158 - so in real world conditions they should be about the same. The question is which has more dynamic range. Oddly enough they start their dynamic range test at ISO 200, measuring 11.4 stops.
It seems many sensors are geared toward ISO 200, and ISO 100 is just negative digital amplification. Don't know if this is the case for the 50D, but I've heard a lot of Nikons are like that. I am still waiting for someone to tell me to forget ISO 100 and always use 200, though.

Silkway

Quote from: Viente on August 16, 2013, 10:56:52 AM
Here is the little music/promo/teaser video i'v made with 50D RAW...this was the first experience and i think i can't go back to H264 mode ever!

no offense
it looks stupid to me)

Silkway

Quote from: Molinsky on August 16, 2013, 03:50:03 PM
Nah, 3200 looks tightly better to me - or less worse. There's almost a red block above the "1600" tag. But, then again, in this image. Probably, like you said, the higher ISOs are not practically different.

yeah probably everyone should avoid 1600 iso
better to use 800 and 3200

probably the best way to manage dual iso is
use 200 and 3200

cpz using 800 has no sense
it is clean by itself

araucaria

Quote from: Silkway on August 16, 2013, 05:21:18 PM
no offense
it looks stupid to me)
I don't think anybody needs a retarded comment like yours, if it looks stupid (whatever that is) to you, at least explain yourself, otherwise you're a troll.

Greetings

Viente

Quote from: Silkway on August 16, 2013, 05:21:18 PM
no offense
it looks stupid to me)

Thx for comment!
Exuse me for OT but what exactly is stupid?

Its my first experience in shooting, so i appreaciate any feedback.

dsManning

Quote from: Viente on August 16, 2013, 05:39:28 PM
Thx for comment!
Exuse me for OT but what exactly is stupid?

Its my first experience in shooting, so i appreaciate any feedback.

Way to stay positive, but I wouldn't even preemptively appreciate feedback from someone who is going to toss that at you.  Such a shame, it has had such a good vibe on these boards for so long....

Colour looks good, it really fits the mood of the scene (especially in the beginning on the stairs).  I like your timing as well, good cuts timed well with the audio.

(compliment sandwich part) In my opinion, the second half of the video was TOO far from the first half.  I realize it is supposed to be a complete 180 from what is going on in the first half, but at some points I almost forgot about the intro with the car.  So this has nothing to do with your shooting or processing, just editing.  Perhaps halfway through the second half, sprinkle an element of the beginning in there.  As I said, more storyboard/editing than shooting.

Loved the cloud scene when he woke up in the field.  Very 'Breaking Bad' super wide, most of the frame is the sky type of shot.  :)

Silkway

Let me explain myself, if you all ask for it.
It looks stupid to me for some reason that is about a person who did it.
I just don't think this is good example of use of such a great tool as magic lantern presented us with canon 50d.

and the clip above i could make it on my old nokia phone =)
but I won't do it. because it is silly) silly storyboard and editing as stated above.
and the silliest thing is the way of using canon 50d in such way.
its like cutting away all dynamic range and 14 bit color and everything
its also post processed and codec and fps was all messed up probably...

i dont know, this just doesnt make any sense to me.

and yes
this clip would be 100x better if the author would not touch color grading at all.
just leave it as its shot and even at that point it would be much better.