50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Viente on August 16, 2013, 10:56:52 AM
Here is the little music/promo/teaser video i'v made with 50D RAW...this was the first experience and i think i can't go back to H264 mode ever!

It doesn't look stupid.

It's not really my sort of video but you do have some nice shots in there and the green grading gives it a kind of Matrix vibe. Didn't see much aliasing or moire either.

Keep it up!

ezpRado

Quote from: Silkway on August 16, 2013, 05:21:18 PM
no offense
it looks stupid to me)

You with your green cat and constant requests on step-by-step colorgrading tutorials think THIS looks stupid??
Please show us some of your work - And not just your tests!

Regards,
ezpRado

Silkway

also what is stupid is this few things

i was expecting guy to start singing
it is stupid that he didnt

also the people shots are not correct
the camera work is awful composition

editing is awful
u cant stick close up and wide shots after each other with such huge gap

also stupid things is almost everything

only good shot was on 2:08 second and girl on 1:36 look pretty and make sense.

Viente

Thx for all your feedback guys, but please not offence each other :)

Stay positive :)

Silkway

Quote from: ezpRado on August 16, 2013, 06:31:11 PM
You with your green cat and constant requests on step-by-step colorgrading tutorials think THIS looks stupid??
Please show us some of your work - And not just your tests!

Regards,
ezpRado

of coz i might show when i make something on canon 50d

now i can only show what i did on nikon d7000 which is not this topic discussion)

my green cat was made on 640 by 240 pixel
which is less than my old nokia n86 can do
it is raw video 14 bit color 24 frame per second on 6 mb/sec continuous non stop raw video
on kingston 10 years old compact flash old technology card

3 times less consuming than h.264 codec compressed on Nikon D7000
which is also very very light and compressed video shooter
so i just set a new record of raw shooting with that green cat shot for most less consuming raw shoot) that was fun

to show that the quality is not so bad
when it comes to a memory card speed for continuous shooting on low resolution in raw

also i dont ask shit people for their step by step color grading
i ask from the master of art like D.I.Watson

i said clip above was stupid except for one shot
so to prove you i just made a screen shot of the 2:08 seconds shot of this clip above
check it and judge for yourself.

i didnt measure it

i just chosed a shot that look nice to me
and i just applied a 3 parts on horizontal and vertical
really straight lines and 3 parts

the eye and nose felt just on 2 of key points

and if you remember for a good camera composition
your objects target must be at least close to one of this 4 key points where lines are crossed

and if u ask why? who made this rules?
God made, when he made our eyes and brain
scientists found that human looks on this 4 cross points of the image automatically at first look
starting fromo top left going to top right then bottom left and bottom right

so if u wana attract attention of a viewer place your message there
otherwise it is stupid composition that is not attracting at all.

oh my god
this shot was GOOOD

but the rest is awful

bzhwindtalker

Here's some footage from a video I still have to edit, I did not see a lot of sport videos shot on 50D raw yet.

For run and gun shooting we found the battery life and data management was quite an issue, we shot over 250GB of raw footage that I will try to edit as a 20 minutes video.

I noticed one corrupt frame in the middle of one of the clips but that's the only issue/bug.

On H264 timelapses (fps override) we found the 50D would get really hot, but we did not get warning messages or shutdowns.

For this project I feel like the 50D was not the rigth tool at all but we got some beautyfull shots. My dream camera would be the 50D shooting prores 10 bit and with embeed audio, maybe the BMPCC would be a better tool for my use...

Anyways here is the footage :

50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

D.L. Watson

Quote from: Silkway on August 16, 2013, 06:35:46 PM
also i dont ask shit people for their step by step color grading
i ask from the master of art like D.I.Watson

I'm no master at anything.

In regards to your mannerism, there is no reason why anyone should say something is stupid. You might think it's stupid, but have the common courtesy and respect for your fellow filmmakers and give constructive & encouraging feedback. Or don't leave feedback at all.

See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

rockfallfilms

Quote from: bzhwindtalker on August 16, 2013, 07:39:57 PM
Here's some footage from a video I still have to edit, I did not see a lot of sport videos shot on 50D raw yet.

For run and gun shooting we found the battery life and data management was quite an issue, we shot over 250GB of raw footage that I will try to edit as a 20 minutes video.

I noticed one corrupt frame in the middle of one of the clips but that's the only issue/bug.

On H264 timelapses (fps override) we found the 50D would get really hot, but we did not get warning messages or shutdowns.

For this project I feel like the 50D was not the rigth tool at all but we got some beautyfull shots. My dream camera would be the 50D shooting prores 10 bit and with embeed audio, maybe the BMPCC would be a better tool for my use...

I like this, nice to see something with more movement in it. I think the 50D held up pretty well, didn't notice any rolling shutter either. How did you manage your workflow when you were out and about, did you back your cards up to a laptop when shooting?

jgerstel

Quote from: bzhwindtalker on August 16, 2013, 07:39:57 PM

Really cool video  8)

Silkway

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 16, 2013, 07:41:09 PM
I'm no master at anything.

In regards to your mannerism, there is no reason why anyone should say something is stupid. You might think it's stupid, but have the common courtesy and respect for your fellow filmmakers and give constructive & encouraging feedback. Or don't leave feedback at all.

yeah maybe i sound rude
its just my love to quality of canon 50d
cant leave me careless to crap)

i see your tutorial and thats amazing color grading
thats all i say
btw your skills would be helpful to previous post video about bikes)

the shots was good
but the color grading is missing

it looks like those folks applied your flatz preset and just left it like that)

i understand bleach bypass when u got h.264 shot
but not on 14 bit raw
its not even prores! its more colors and tones
lets respect magic lantern team work and use maximum out of canon 50d

p.s. hey people, seriously, canon 50d can make it better (watch D.I.Watson tutorial for comparison)

hey dudes

you wana see what professional film makers do?
watch this videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLZ8L6SZmaA&list=PLA3D67612B92CD08B
pay attention that almost every single scene is shot with a rule of thirds for main characters eye
(that 3 part lines horizontal and vertical i shown above)

and thats not even what u got! a raw machine canon 50d

come on!

lomka

what is th max write speed at this moment?

Silkway

Quote from: lomka on August 16, 2013, 09:07:46 PM

i use the best card on the planet
lexar x1000
on canon 50d

and i cant make it run faster that 55 mb/sec on continuous green recording not yellow or red thing.

bzhwindtalker

Quote from: Silkway on August 16, 2013, 08:49:00 PM

btw your skills would be helpful to previous post video about bikes)

the shots was good
but the color grading is missing

it looks like those folks applied your flatz preset and just left it like that)

Hey man there is a lot to be said about this video but I don't think you know shit about color correction and grading. My brother did the color correction and color matching, he managed to pull amazing info out of the few H264 clips we used and managed to match them to the RAW files, getting evry bit of info out of the skies using luma mascs.
Go read http://www.amazon.fr/Color-Correction-Handbook-Professional-Techniques/dp/0321713117 then you can talk about CC...
50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

Silkway

Quote from: bzhwindtalker on August 16, 2013, 09:15:26 PM
Hey man there is a lot to be said about this video but I don't think you know shit about color correction and grading. My brother did the color correction and color matching, he managed to pull amazing info out of the few H264 clips we used and managed to match them to the RAW files, getting evry bit of info out of the skies using luma mascs.
Go read http://www.amazon.fr/Color-Correction-Handbook-Professional-Techniques/dp/0321713117 then you can talk about CC...

yeah man
thats what i said
u matched raw to h.264
i could say that)

xvince1

Quote from: lomka on August 16, 2013, 09:07:46 PM

I'm thinking bying myself an old 50D as a spare for y 5D2 and I wanted to know if there is something better in super35 sensor for RAW. (I've found one 50D for 380E)  and of course if the max resolution (1584x1058) can be achieve easyly ? What I've seen on EOSHD and on VIMEO with the 50D looks really impressive....  :)

Silkway

Quote from: xvince1 on August 16, 2013, 09:21:24 PM
I'm thinking bying myself an old 50D as a spare for y 5D2 and I wanted to know if there is something better in super35 sensor for RAW. (I've found one 50D for 380E)  and of course if the max resolution (1584x1058) can be achieve easyly ? What I've seen on EOSHD and on VIMEO with the 50D looks really impressive....  :)

if i would be you, i would definently buy canon 50d

coz to me canon 5d mark 2 seems like odd brick

(however 5d mark 3 is diamond)

Viente

Well i'm not professional at all. I do other things (music). But i love filiming as well and everything i do, i try to do my best. It was the first experience in shooting and there is a lot of things i did wrong i know. It was posted just to show my experience with Canon 50D RAW module. If it looks stupid for someone, well ok then :) But at least i can be honest with myself that i completed the project and it was a lot of hard work for me (shooting, editing, color grading etc). Cheers!

Asiertxu

QuoteWell i'm not professional at all. I do other things (music). But i love filiming as well and everything i do, i try to do my best. It was the first experience in shooting and there is a lot of things i did wrong i know. It was posted just to show my experience with Canon 50D RAW module. If it looks stupid for someone, well ok then :) But at least i can be honest with myself that i completed the project and it was a lot of hard work for me (shooting, editing, color grading etc). Cheers!

That´s true!  ;-)
So...long live to eos 50D!!
Cheers...
Asier.

Silkway

Quote from: Viente on August 16, 2013, 09:30:41 PM
Well i'm not professional at all. I do other things (music). But i love filiming as well and everything i do, i try to do my best. It was the first experience in shooting and there is a lot of things i did wrong i know. It was posted just to show my experience with Canon 50D RAW module. If it looks stupid for someone, well ok then :) But at least i can be honest with myself that i completed the project and it was a lot of hard work for me (shooting, editing, color grading etc). Cheers!

yeah i could say that it was your first experience)

ps canon 50d isnt good for first experience
use phone first

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Viente on August 16, 2013, 10:56:52 AM
Here is the little music/promo/teaser video i'v made with 50D RAW...this was the first experience and i think i can't go back to H264 mode ever!

Keep doing your thing Viente, keep shooting, your first experience with Raw is pretty good.. it's definitely a learning curve but in time all will fall in place.  By the way Welcome to the 50D Club nice video  8)

Supermac

Quote from: xvince1 on August 16, 2013, 09:21:24 PM

Hi there,

I think the only alternative would be a 5d really. I'm shooting 1584 x 1058 Continously with no problems on 1000x CF Cards. Also can shoot 2000 x 1080 in 3x crop mode.

Supermac

Quote from: Viente on August 16, 2013, 09:30:41 PM

Well done for putting your self out there. I enjoyed it and can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Silkway

Summarizing edit from mods: I went back to making videos on my cell phone and won't be bothering any of you with my opinions for the time being.

Supermac

You know what would be really cool, some kind of zebra stripes or something that warn of moire patterns. Probably impossible though.

xvince1

Quote from: Supermac on August 16, 2013, 10:15:52 PM
Hi there,

I think the only alternative would be a 5d really. I'm shooting 1584 x 1058 Continously with no problems on 1000x CF Cards. Also can shoot 2000 x 1080 in 3x crop mode.

Hi supermac, 

thank's . It's not for a real alternative, just to have a RAW DSLR always with me. In fact the 50D looks very well manufactured and ergonomics like the 5D2. And I could use all my stuff with it...