Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wannabe

I installed Danne's build ( https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_dannephoto_git/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_100D_2023Jul13.100D101.zip
).
Wow! The camera now works without any issues. It does not shut down and I believe I was able to record at the highest resolution possible (which for this build was 4K anamorphic). I recorded a minute and a half before I got bored and decided to stop recording.
Even the auto focus works with this build! (it wasn't working in Crop Mood).

This is absolutely great. The only problem is that 4K is not big enough for my project.
I need the larger resolutions that come with Crop Mood (5.2K or 4.8K) and I believe Danne's build doesn't offer those.

EDIT: I now get pink and black stripes instead of normal preview.
What is the "correct" resolution for 4K anyway?
There are the crop settings and there are the RAW resolution settings. Both are related to resolution and both can be adjusted separately.
Which one is the correct one that I should worry about?

Danne

Ok, so now we know were to try and fix things. In sd_uhs.c code. Could be timing issues when patching or some registry routine bilal is applying. Maybe possible to fix looking at my code base and using parts in bilals code.

Wannabe

I'm sorry, Danne, I spoke too soon.

I get crashes with your build as well in the higher resolutions. And no preview as well.
Maybe I bumped up the resolution way too high?
I don't understand the co-relation between RAW resolution and Crop resolution. They are both adjustable, but which one is the one that I should care about?

I still think that my SD card is crappy.

Danne

Not your card. If it works with regular 1920x1080p your card is fine.
Preview works bad on higher resolutions. Better on bilals builds.
On a general basis it is good to know what to expect from each build and presets. Learn about preview capabilities etc. To be added. 100d is not the most stable camera to begin with.

Wannabe

Quote from: Danne on July 13, 2023, 03:03:51 PM
100d is not the most stable camera to begin with.
Tell me about it! :D I learned this the hard way.
I am now selling my 100D, so if anybody needs this piece of junk, drop me a message. LOL!  :D :D :D

theBilalFakhouri

@Wannabe

Try this build: magiclantern-crop_mood.2023Jul13.100D101_MoreDelay.zip

I increased the delay with some minor tweaks then I did some tests on my 100D and it no longer crashes.
--- a/modules/crop_rec/crop_rec.c
+++ b/modules/crop_rec/crop_rec.c
@@ -5145,7 +5145,7 @@ static unsigned int crop_rec_polling_cbr(unsigned int unused)
     }

/* 650D / 700D / EOSM/M2 / 100D preferences */
-    if (is_DIGIC_5)
+    if (is_DIGIC_5 && lv)
     {
         // all of our presets work in x5 mode because of preview, even none-cropped ones
         if (CROP_PRESET_MENU && !RECORDING && is_movie_mode())
@@ -5155,7 +5155,7 @@ static unsigned int crop_rec_polling_cbr(unsigned int unused)
             if (lv_dispsize == 1)
             {
                 gui_uilock(UILOCK_EVERYTHING);
-                msleep(700);
+                msleep(1100);
                 gui_uilock(UILOCK_NONE);
             }

@@ -5197,7 +5197,7 @@ static unsigned int crop_rec_polling_cbr(unsigned int unused)
         }

/* while idle, check our preview resgisters, force the new values if not set yet */
-        if (!lv_dirty && !crop_rec_needs_lv_refresh() && CROP_PRESET_MENU && !RECORDING && lv_dispsize == 5 && PathDriveMode->zoom == 5 && lv)
+        if (!lv_dirty && !crop_rec_needs_lv_refresh() && CROP_PRESET_MENU && !RECORDING && lv_dispsize == 5 && PathDriveMode->zoom == 5)
         {
             if (Preview_Control && !Preview_Control_Basic) // presets with basic preview don't need it
             {
@@ -5207,7 +5207,7 @@ static unsigned int crop_rec_polling_cbr(unsigned int unused)

// FIXME: for now, "More" hacks must be on in order to get wokring preview in 3x3 presets while recording
         // see notes in reg_override_3X3
-        if (CROP_PRESET_MENU == CROP_PRESET_3X3 && lv && raw_lv_is_enabled() && !is_more_hacks_selected())
+        if (CROP_PRESET_MENU == CROP_PRESET_3X3 && raw_lv_is_enabled() && !is_more_hacks_selected())
         {
             if (crop_preset_3x3_res_menu != 1) // exclude 1080p mode
             {
@@ -5241,7 +5241,7 @@ static unsigned int crop_rec_polling_cbr(unsigned int unused)
          * let's check picture quality on startup, also when the user change it to other than RAW         
          * let's inform the user to change pic quality back to RAW, and a camera restart would required
          * this extends recording times at high resolutions, also allows to record Full-Res LV @ 3 FPS */
-        if (lv && patch_active && CROP_PRESET_MENU && is_movie_mode())
+        if (patch_active && CROP_PRESET_MENU && is_movie_mode())
         {
             if (pic_quality != 0x4060000)
             {

mineralof

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 13, 2023, 04:04:58 PM
@Wannabe

Dear Bilal, will this build run on canon 650? Seeing speed drop issue with sd_uhs module with all my eligible sd cards

Walter Schulz

I tested several cards with 650D. Nothing to report. The only fast card not working according to plan: Integral Ultima Pro 256GB. Impressive benchmark numbers on PC (160 MByte/s in write mode) but sucks in cam running higher oc modes.

Are you using recommended card types?

mineralof

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 13, 2023, 04:35:24 PM
I tested several cards with 650D. Nothing to report. The only fast card not working according to plan: Integral Ultima Pro 256GB. Impressive benchmark numbers on PC (160 MByte/s in write mode) but sucks in cam running higher oc modes.

Are you using recommended card types?

Yes. Checked on all three recommended SD cards. Sandisk Extreme Pro. They are original and work great. unfortunately, in addition to the crop rec build with the overclocking module

Walter Schulz

In fact we are not sure about 200MB/s with 64 GB. Western Digital specs tell it should be able to run R200/W90. I can retest with 256 GB variety (R200/W140).
170 MByte/s should run fine.
Have you tried both access modes (SDR104 and SDR50)?

mineralof

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 13, 2023, 05:02:03 PM
In fact we are not sure about 200MB/s with 64 GB. Western Digital specs tell it should be able to run R200/W90. I can retest with 256 GB variety (R200/W140).
170 MByte/s should run fine.
Have you tried both access modes (SDR104 and SDR50)?

I tried, the speed is about 20 mb / s

Walter Schulz

Quick benchmark run with an experimental sd_uhs.mo @280 MHz and my Sandisk Extreme Pro 200 MB/s (R200/W140):

Are your benchmark runs show different results? Means: fallback to 20 MByte/s? Try running sd_uhs.mo and bench.mo but no other modules loaded.

mineralof

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 13, 2023, 05:18:01 PM

Are your benchmark runs show different results? Means: fallback to 20 MByte/s? Try running sd_uhs.mo and bench.mo but no other modules loaded.

Tried. In photo mode up to 90MB. In video mode, it drops to 20.
Sandisk extreme pro 170 mb.

on sd card Sandisk extreme pro200 mb does not give any overclocking

Walter Schulz

mineralof

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 13, 2023, 05:18:01 PM
Quick benchmark run with an experimental sd_uhs.mo @280 MHz and my Sandisk Extreme Pro 200 MB/s (R200/W140):
please tell me where to download experimental sd_uhs.mo?
is he stable?

Walter Schulz

Cannot share it. And unstable is an understatement...

Wannabe

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 13, 2023, 04:04:58 PM
@Wannabe

I increased the delay with some minor tweaks then I did some tests on my 100D and it no longer crashes.
--- a/modules/crop_rec/crop_rec.c
+++ b/modules/crop_rec/crop_rec.c
@@ -5145,7 +5145,7 @@ static unsigned int crop_rec_polling_cbr(unsigned int unused)
     }

/* 650D / 700D / EOSM/M2 / 100D preferences */
-    if (is_DIGIC_5)
+    if (is_DIGIC_5 && lv)
     {
         // all of our presets work in x5 mode because of preview, even none-cropped ones
         if (CROP_PRESET_MENU && !RECORDING && is_movie_mode())
@@ -5155,7 +5155,7 @@ static unsigned int crop_rec_polling_cbr(unsigned int unused)
             if (lv_dispsize == 1)
             {
                 gui_uilock(UILOCK_EVERYTHING);
-                msleep(700);
+                msleep(1100);
                 gui_uilock(UILOCK_NONE);
             }

@@ -5197,7 +5197,7 @@ static unsigned int crop_rec_polling_cbr(unsigned int unused)
         }

/* while idle, check our preview resgisters, force the new values if not set yet */
-        if (!lv_dirty && !crop_rec_needs_lv_refresh() && CROP_PRESET_MENU && !RECORDING && lv_dispsize == 5 && PathDriveMode->zoom == 5 && lv)
+        if (!lv_dirty && !crop_rec_needs_lv_refresh() && CROP_PRESET_MENU && !RECORDING && lv_dispsize == 5 && PathDriveMode->zoom == 5)
         {
             if (Preview_Control && !Preview_Control_Basic) // presets with basic preview don't need it
             {
@@ -5207,7 +5207,7 @@ static unsigned int crop_rec_polling_cbr(unsigned int unused)

// FIXME: for now, "More" hacks must be on in order to get wokring preview in 3x3 presets while recording
         // see notes in reg_override_3X3
-        if (CROP_PRESET_MENU == CROP_PRESET_3X3 && lv && raw_lv_is_enabled() && !is_more_hacks_selected())
+        if (CROP_PRESET_MENU == CROP_PRESET_3X3 && raw_lv_is_enabled() && !is_more_hacks_selected())
         {
             if (crop_preset_3x3_res_menu != 1) // exclude 1080p mode
             {
@@ -5241,7 +5241,7 @@ static unsigned int crop_rec_polling_cbr(unsigned int unused)
          * let's check picture quality on startup, also when the user change it to other than RAW         
          * let's inform the user to change pic quality back to RAW, and a camera restart would required
          * this extends recording times at high resolutions, also allows to record Full-Res LV @ 3 FPS */
-        if (lv && patch_active && CROP_PRESET_MENU && is_movie_mode())
+        if (patch_active && CROP_PRESET_MENU && is_movie_mode())
         {
             if (pic_quality != 0x4060000)
             {

Hi Bilal, I installed your newest build and I am now able to record in 4.4K / 10 bit indefinitely with a green indicator (in a dark room).
I made a 15 minute long video before I got bored and manually stopped the recording.
If I point the lens towards a brighter object, the indicator turns orange, but almost never goes red.
I will do some tests in daylight in a moment.

Anything above 4.4K stops working after between 1 and 20 seconds of recording time, but this time around the camera doesn't crash, it doesn't show error screens, and it doesn't shut itself down.
The recording simply stops, which I have seen happening in YouTube demos with other people's camera's too.

You are doing a fantastic job making 100D work with Crop Mood.

Is there any chance that the auto focus can be made to work in Crop Mood?

theBilalFakhouri

@Wannabe

Cool, nice to hear that.

Continuous autofocus doesn't work when using crop mood presets, you can only trigger autofocus by a half-shutter press which work while not recording.
If you want to use autofocus while recording, small hacks must be turned off from RAW video submenu, but this way you will sacrifice some write speed.

Wannabe

Hi, I turned Small Hacks off and this did not cause any serious write speed issues, but the auto focus is still not working.
Probably I am missing to turn on (or to turn off) a setting.
Here are my current settings:

Danne

Wannabe

Quote from: Danne on July 19, 2023, 02:08:20 PM
Turn off movie servo af.

I disabled Movie Servo AF.
Still, the auto focus is not working.

Danne

It could be conflicting with some other function with halfshutter button.
Is af working with my build?
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25781.0
In small hacks it still works with af-on setting under raw video menu.

Wannabe

Quote from: Danne on July 19, 2023, 05:30:16 PM
It could be conflicting with some other function with halfshutter button.
Is af working with my build?
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25781.0
In small hacks it still works with af-on setting under raw video menu.

Yes, auto focus works with your build. If I remember correctly, it still works even if small hacks is turned on.

theBilalFakhouri

@Wannabe

AF works fine here on my 100D, I explained how it works with crop mood build in this reply.
If it still doesn't work for you, show us what are you doing your ML settings (record a video).

Wannabe

Hi guys, here is a video that I made. The auto focus in Crop Mood is not working.

I am running the latest Crop Mood build for 100D.
I am using a Canon 18-55mm IS STM kit lens, with the auto focus switch turned "on".