Danne

Latest:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip_hop_git/downloads/

Source code here atm(temp git solution):
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip_hop_git/src/master/

Todo:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg229863#msg229863

branch:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip-hop/branch/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only

Been working hard with Jip-Hop to refine presets and all around movie handling approaching the eosm more like a movie cam. Some of the things done recently:

- reworked Movie tab menu(Jip-Hop)
- fast preset access by simply tapping display
- corruption free 4k anamorphic modes(slightly reduced height in raw.c)
- shutter coherency. Same shutter across all presets(fixed a bug introduced by myself)
- Movie Restart for raw recordings(Jip-Hop)
- autoenabling modules(refined by Jip-Hop)
- gain buttons up for higher iso. push down for lower iso, also working while recording
- aperture + ISO(up/down buttons will open or close aperture when max/min iso is reached)(Jip-Hop)
- h264 mov preset, working with x3 digital gain(SET button) and gain buttons(up/down)
- toggling between photo and movie mode working better

Upon install buttons will be reassigned as follows:
SET x3 crop and back to x1.6 mode
Up/Down gain increasing/decreasing(iso)
Tap display startoff preset list
Halfshutter press x10 zoom aid(release for normal view)

For newcomers and for people who just wants to get down to recording do following:
1 - Install above build onto your eosm and start film. Camera will be set to mv1080p 2.39:1 24 fps
Or...
2 - Set your camera into manual focus mode and tap your display to get into the fast access preset list:

Select a preset after tapping your display. Done!:

Reworked Movie tab menu(thanks Jip-Hop):

Movie Restart feature(thanks Jip-Hop)

customize buttons:

h264 mov. Select it from tap display options:

Missing 3K, 4K? Still there. Reach them by tapping "presets" from Movie tab section:

cine 2.39:1 script still there(refined by Jip-Hop)

OLDER STUFF BELOW. NOT SUPPORTED ANY LONGER

branch:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/branch/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets

I focused on getting rid of corrupted images in 5K anamorphic mode. And also to complete a set up that will record all the presets continuously when a certain set up is performed. To enable continuous recordings do following:
sd_uhs hack on
bitrate to 10bit
ratios set to 2.35:1
(will scale down or reduce bitrate depending on preset chosen)

For instance. 5K anamorphic 1736x2150 will be set to 1504x1920 when ratios 2.35:1 is set. Still a stellar file since upsampled in Mlv App you will export a file that´s 4512x1920 in size.
3k will run with reduced fps and so will 5k setting. Most other presets will still keep original frame rate. All presets will record with 2.35:1.
If you want full manual control just skip the 2.35:1 ratios setting and do whatever tweaks in other menus instead.

Enjoy and don´t forget to post what´s working or not...

From here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg211572#msg211572

- Cleaned out scripts, kept two. One is new. "eosm cinema 2:35.1". The script will through lua add all necessary parameters to get into anamorphic 4.5K preset. Once the script has finished you can use any of the crop rec presets and they will all run in 2:35.1 and continuous. A fast sd card will be needed. The script also enables the sd_uhs script "sd overclock engine" and sets it to auto. The script is good as starting point instead of fiddling around for 10 minutes before getting into filming.
Why 2:35.1? Easy. Eosm has it´s limitations and restriction and this ratio seems like sweet spot for most presets on this cam.

- The other feature(also added though "eosm cinema 2:35.1" script) is "Crop rec preview" in mlv_lite menu. Once this is set to auto mode The crop rec presets will work either with framing or real time preview depending on what works better. Reason for this is that it takes a little too long to switch both preset and preview mode for every preset changed. Watch out. This auto mode setting overrides any Preview mode setting aready set from before. Disable auto mode when not in use.
All modes and settings can of course be set manually without the scripts.

Additional stuff:
3xcrop toggle

All of this is of course experimental, bleeding edge and out here for tests and feedback. As always thanks to a1ex, g3gg0, dmilligan for code and lua api.

A lot of tutorials from this guy and eos m enthusiast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCn0RQHYheA41EudwmLnYKA

Also check this thread:
https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/28526-5k-raw-24p-video-for-150-magic-lantern-making-great-strides-on-canon-eos-m/#comments

Also check in my work on the 5DIII here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=23041.msg216899#msg216899

alpicat

@Danne, this build works nicely shooting 2520x1308 in 9 or 10 bit lossless. I can't seem to get rid of the focus pixels using mlvapp, but other than that the image quality is perfect. Liveview looks a bit funny colourwise but it's not particularly distracting and still very usable.

Danne

That is dfort area. Could you share a file in the focus pixel thread or in Mlv app thread so it could be fixed?

ctfire

Hey , is there any working ML for eos m with correct mv1080 without crop ?

Danne

ctfire

Quote from: Danne on December 06, 2018, 12:35:26 PM
There's no crop with the mv1080p preset.

And what about live view when recording in this mode?

Danne

It is what it is. THanks to A1ex we at least have full preview but a bit slow...

Teamsleepkid

EOS M

alpicat

Quote from: Danne on December 06, 2018, 07:48:59 AM
That is dfort area. Could you share a file in the focus pixel thread or in Mlv app thread so it could be fixed?

Will do, I've been trying to get a screengrab that shows all the focus pixels clearly but no success so far, hard to tell the focus pixels apart from the background. I guess if I shoot against a clear sky that might work best.

dfort

Try shooting simple silent stills with the movie settings at the resolution you want to test. This will save a DNG of the full raw buffer. Shoot light subjects, dark subjects, flat walls, scenes with lots of contrasty details--sometimes focus pixels pop right out and other times they are hard to find. Then again if you can't find them that's the best news of all!

bergamote

Just popping by to say Thanks!
I'd tested raw on the eos m ages ago and at first got crazy excited by the image quality. But I ended up sticking to h.264 for filming because of the very limiting crop factor, the headache of setting everything right in ML and I wasn't getting very good results in low lights. All that, added to the extra workflow in post, didn't make it seem worth the effort.
Now, trying out Danne's latest build, I'm crazy excited again! Once I'd cleared my saved ML settings it worked perfectly, just switch on, run sd hack and apply a 2.5k preset and it's all good to go! 2.5k is a lot more workable than 1.4k and with the 800iso preset low light shots aren't as noisy as what I was getting before.

So thanks a million to everybody working on this!

I haven't read all 71 pages of this thread, so the following bug probably isn't specific to this build, but just in case:
After going through the steps I described, filming a shot in raw then reviewing it in-camera, when I switch the camera off it gets stuck at the sensor cleaning stage and never switches off. Pressing any button brings the liveview back but taking the battery out is only way to switch off.

Danne

I get the same issue from time to time but hard to reproduce. If you can narrow down the exact steps to reproduce the issue I will try and see wht´s going on.

Tullen

I just got the same results when starting the camera and shutting it down before 2.5k script had finished running. Camera stuck at sensor cleaning, and had to pull battery. But cant reproduce it.

Danne

Ok, so maybe lua script could be related. Let's keep an eye for more occasions.
Also welcome with examples of what's working and what's useful and such.

alpicat

Quote from: dfort on December 08, 2018, 04:57:37 PM
Try shooting simple silent stills with the movie settings at the resolution you want to test. This will save a DNG of the full raw buffer. Shoot light subjects, dark subjects, flat walls, scenes with lots of contrasty details--sometimes focus pixels pop right out and other times they are hard to find. Then again if you can't find them that's the best news of all!

Thanks - finally got round to doing this and posted the focus pixel photos in the "Dealing with Focus Pixels in raw video" thread. Silent stills mode didn't work in 2.5k crop mode unfortunately - liveview goes black for a while, and all I get is a blank jpg. I just shot some short MLV clips and then extracted PNG files from them in MLVapp, enhanced in post so you can see all the focus pixels.

bergamote

I've been trying to reproduce the cleaning sensor bug but it's pretty random. Here the few variations i came across:
- with only mlv_lite and mlv_play loaded, switch on and press play to start watching the last raw video then switch off whilst the file is playing. Every time it stays stuck to Cleaning sensor. Pressing the power button brings the camera back on and pressing it again switches it off immediatelly, skipping the cleaning sensor part.
- with snd,  crop_rec and lua also loaded, switch on, run the 2.5k 100iso script, shoot for 3 seconds then after waiting a bit, press the play button. If a bug shows up it can go two ways:
  1) you get a black screen. The orange led blinks as if mlvplay was playing the shot but the screen stays black. Pressing half shutter brings back shooting mode. Pressing play again plays the video without problem and it will not get stuck during Cleaning sensor even if switching off during playback
  2) the raw clip plays fine but when switching off whilst playing it gets stuck. The power button switches between shooting mode and cleaning, but the battery has to be removed.

I managed to get the last type 4 times in a row but then it didn't do it the fifth time. It looked like it happpened more often with the 2.5k100 than the 800 one but that might have been by chance. Also it did happen whilst mlvplay was stopped, and once whilst i was in a ML menu.

Danne

Ok, thanks. I gather one has to go easy on this little cam and wait for processes to finish.

Tullen

@Danne

When using your crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2018Dec08.EOSM202.zip, the recording sometimes shuts down due to to slow memory write speed. I'm using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB.

- Installed and played around a bit with Magic Lantern.
- Set canon camera to manual film mode. Set the camera to 1080p 24 fps and Pal in canon menu.
- Did a low level format of the memory card in camera.
- Removed the old ML folder from the memory card and extracted the ML folder and the .DS Store, autoexec.bin and ML-SETUP.FIR to the root of the memory card from the crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2018Dec08.EOSM202.zip (ignoring the MACOSX folder). Safe eject card from memory reader.
- Went into manual fotomode and updated the firmware. When prompted restarted the camera. Set the camera to film mode (manual).
- Opened magic lantern and loaded the crop_rec, lua, mlv_lite, mlv_snd and sd_uhs modules. Restart.
- Set  sd_uhs to autorun. Restart
- Go to movie tab and enable Crop Mode 2.5k 2520x1304 and set to 12 bit in Crop Mode submenu. Set FPS override to 23.976 and optimized for exact fps. Restart
- Go to movie tab and enable RAW, set bit depth to 12 and resolution to 2560 (which sets it to 2520x1308).

If I then try to record, the recording shuts down immediately.

If I put the RAW to 12 bit lossless it can record to up to a minute before stopping. Also, if I set it to 12 bit lossless the display becomes much darker. Gets brighter when I half-press shutter button.

So maybe the sd_uhs is not enough to record in 12 bit or 12 bit lossless at this resolution? If I set the Crop Mode to 10 bit and RAW to 10 bit it also shuts down after a few frames.
Setting the Crop Mode to 10 bit and the RAW to 11...8 bit lossless it seems to record continuously, but then the image is scrambled and of course  I'm still stuck with the dark display.

I'm sure I am doing something wrong, or maybe the dark display thing is a know issue, but I did not find anything when searching this tread so maybe you or others have some tips?

Cheers and thanks for all the amazing work.

EDIT: Seems none of the clips I took work when checking in mlvapp :(. So Im probably in much more trouble than I thought about just the dark image and 10 bit. How did you go about it alpicat?

Danne

In RAW video keep it on 14bit lossless if you work with crop_rec  module and its settings enabled. You set bitrate from another submenu by tapping the screen while on Crop mode menu(seems that is what you already do):
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Also leave fps override alone when using the crop rec presets. might be issues otherwise. Maybe it works with fps override when recording with mv1080p mode set in crop_rec. I will have to check.

EDIT:
Updated a few things and uploaded a new version in this post:

loknar

Thanks Danne for the builds. I tried the one from December the 8th and 1x3 preset works very well (even with changed bit rate, 8 bit have shifted white/black level, but others work out of the box), preview is stretched(not a big deal) but is very fluent and also i'm able to shoot very quickly.
Also this is first build with which i successfuly recorded 3072x1304 clip and man, that's beautiful. In this preset though i've no working preview at all (all just rgb patterns) so i can't focus or check composition, is it "standard" or it's just me?

Danne

Thanks for feedback. 8bit is not really useful but still there for experimenting. About preview in higher resolution you should get ''framing" preview working. It´s slower but shows the correct framing. Real time cropped preview isn´t working with higher resolutions on the eosm. Might work somehow if someone finds a way to implement mode more like the 5D mark III.
Preview in general could be anything in real time but when i 'framing' mode it should show what you will get as a final result.

loknar

Well, it is in our best interest to provide you with as much information as possible :).
Yeah,  that 8-bit info was pretty much only FYI. I don't intend to use it, 10-bit seem optimal, 9-bit out of desperation :).
I have framing preview now, thanks. I helps to know it can be done, after that it's only trying of possible combinations :).

Tullen

Quote from: optical-work on November 29, 2018, 07:33:57 PM
is there any way to get the "framing" liveview work on an external display? whatever i choose for preview, it's showing "realtime" for hdmi external. by the way, i searched but i couldn't really get 1x3 crop mode, it shows at liveview and records very wide. i can provide footage does it need to be dng or are compressed formats okay? (i'm using mlv app on windows and i'm really grateful to both firmware and software developers.)

I'm also very interested in this. Anyone knows? Would be great to be able to use the monitor and get proper framing. Another option if it works would be to output full frame (without 5x) and have a frammarking on. Even though a lot of the display would not be in use its not as big of an issue on a 7" or 9" monitor.

Any ideas?

Danne

New upload in this post:

Eosm is equally good as 100D so we can make a 3k 24fps preset just as well for this little cam. New preset contains:
3K 3032x1436 24(fps)

Didn´t test it too much so feedback welcome...

optical-work

Should raw_twk be on? When it is turned on I run sd overlock script as usual but it does nothing. memory patches stays the same (1 rom 2 ram). Without raw_twk it loads normally and able to record.