Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theBilalFakhouri

(OP was updated 17/04/2023)

-What's included in this topic, quick toggle:

April 01 announcement    ● Preview evolution                  ● Crop mood presets
It's a new source-code    ● Build features                      ● Known issues
Supported models          ● My status with ML                ● Thanks
Crop mood or Crop mode?
Build walkthrough video  ● Fundraiser campaign            ● It's online!
Downloads                      ● Source code

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 01, 2018, 04:34:54 PMAlso I am trying to figure out how to expand the cropped area of LiveView in x5 .. A real time correct framing in 2520x1080 like normal 1080p  ;D .

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 01, 2018, 04:34:54 PMThis is the next big thing will happen to ML .

That was me back in 2018 when I was dreaming about previewing the beloved custom RAW video moods in real-time,
in 2020 I was wondering if it's even possible on our DIGIC 5 cams from ~10 years old . . Well, after hunders of hours and experiments on one of the most complex thing in our cameras . . it turns out yes:

Today, I am very proud to the announce a new major improvement coming to ML RAW video crop moods:

The Full Real-Time Preview

(Direct YouTube link: Crop mood - WYSIWG Edition)

-Preview evolution:

[gifv]https://i.imgur.com/ti7NDyX.mp4[/gifv]

(2.5K 1:1 preset as example)

-Crop moods (presets):

All of old presets which were in current custom crop_rec_4k builds (either from me or Danne) are here, some of them were fine-tuned (more Time-Lapse presets can be added later).
Beside that, there are new presets, and they were organized depending on sensor Binning mode as following:

Crop mood have four main options:
  • OFF
  • 1:1 crop
  • 1x3
  • 3x3

-1:1 crop:

Centered crop on sensor, no pixel binning/skipping in this mode.

-FRTP:      Full Real-Time Preview.
-Cropped: Has centered cropped real-time preview.
-Crop factor calculation is based on Full frame sensor size.

-Full-Res LV preset has working preview for the first time. You can record 5208x3478 @ 3 FPS continuously in 14-bit lossless (240 MHz, hacks enabled, sound recording off) :) .

-1x3:

a.k.a Anamorphic, reads all vertical pixels, reduces aliasing and moire.

There are three choices for 1x3 preset for each aspect ratio, I made it like this:
  • Highset: Highset resolution which gives 23.976 FPS at current selected aspect ratio.
  • Higher:  Little lower resolution than "Highset" to allow 25 FPS option.
  • Medium: I kept the old presets here as choice.

-Note:

EOS M and 100D have slightly slower sensor compared to 650D / 700D (hardware limitation),
this limit affects some few 1x3 anamorphic presets (either slightly lower FPS or resolution) as the two tables shows, on the left 650D / 700D list, on the right EOS M / 100D list:

650D / 700D
EOS M / 100D

-All of these presets have Full Real-Time preview.

-3x3:

1080p mode and experimental High Framerate options.

-Notes:
100D has slightly lower FPS compared to 650D / 700D / EOS M because of newer sensor version and currently it causes FPS limit.
1080p preset made mainly for EOS M, other models don't really need it.

650D / 700D / EOS M

100D

-All of these presets have Full Real-Time preview.
-In 3x3 presets and sometime while idle (not recording) the preview would be black, setting focus box below center or just start recording will make the preview work again.

-New source-code and build:

A new source-code had to be written for many good reasons:
  • Make sure we are using the new preview work in best possible way.
  • Avoid complexity, unnecessary code, corrupted frames and crashes.
  • Provide organized and simple smooth user experience.
  • Make unified build for entry-level DIGIC 5 models (650D / 700D / EOS M / EOS M2 / 100D)
  • Don't break other models support (like 5D3), and finally merge the branch to magiclantern_simplified

-Build features:
  • Smooth, fast and snappy experience.
  • Full Real-Time previews.
  • HDMI support for all presets for 480p and 1080i Full and Info outputs.
  • Helplful warnings, automatic settings switching in some cases to achieve stability.
  • While idle, pressing zoom button will get into x10 mode from any preset.
  • Autofocus works while idle in x10 mode when using crop moods.
  • Magic Zoom from "Overlays" tab works in all presets.
  • Dual-ISO flicker fix option is implemented for all presets.
  • Latest sd_uhs and new hacks are included.

-Known issues:

• I didn't notice issues :)

-Other models support:

-This work is applicable to DIGIC 5 models (without plus, entry-level models):
 EOS M2 port should be easy, will try to port in future (I will need a volunteer for running tests), also EOS M2 shares the same sensor as in 100D.

-DIGIC 5+:
They have diffrenet preview implementation than DIGIC 5 (without plus, 650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D / EOS M2)
Which mean current preview work can't be ported to 5D3, it needs to be reverse engineered which also means a lot of time and work.

I have started working on preview for 5D3 this year, I found some pieces but still missing a main piece. I stopped working last month on 5D3 (to finish the new preview work on entry-level models).
I might continue working on 5D3 this or next month.

-My status with ML, why it's not for free:

I became a ML user back in 2017, in 2018 I started digging into dev stuff, and since then I could give many improvements (with help from other devs) and some of my time to ML project for free until Q3 of 2022.
Unfortunately, I can't do that this way anymore due to increasing responsibility in real life :(, last year I had to make one of the following two choices behind the scenes:

1. Either stop working on ML and move on
2. Charge for the new things I worked on

Obviously *I chose the second option, like what I did with the new sd_uhs last year. I believe the second option is a win-win option.
*I didn't make this choice alone, because without you (the ML community) and your support, there is no second option.

The policy I did choose:
I am offering a feature that works (as described) and already tested, the guarantee of success is very high if not 100% :)
That also means the risk of failure was already taken by me, e.g. I have risked +300 hours working on real-time preview while I could just fail.

I am always open to suggestions and discussion, feel free to discuss.

-Danne and Walter for providing logs from EOS M and 650D, also running tests.
-ilia3101 for running tests on EOS M, also for his special support, he is going to handle the fundraiser stuff yet again.
-For users who contributed to buy me a 100D, without their support --> 100D port wouldn't happen.
-masc for running tests and for creating crop mood on EOS M demo
-For people who supported me either by donations or words, I appreciate it!

Speaking of naming - mood or mode?

Originally it was named "crop mode", I changed the word from "mode" to "mood" as some kind of joke (punning) in 1st April.
Crop mode or crop_rec.mo module allows to recrod in higher resolution (beside other things) compared to native resolutions provided by Canon.

First crop_rec.mo (crop mode) version was made in 2016 by a1ex and it was only for 5D3, back then it could only enable x3 crop to 720p and 1080p video modes, then in 2017 another version (second version) of crop_rec.mo (crop mode) came out which introudced high resolutions presets for first time (e.g. 3K and UHD) beside other stuff, it was only for 5D3 too.

In 2018 I jumped beside other devs and started porting crop_rec.mo to other models.
Main downside for crop_rec.mo presets (crop_rec.mo 2017-2018 versions) was the preview, you couldn't preview what are you recording in real-time.

crop_rec.mo (crop mood), a 2023 version (this thread), the correct real-time preview was presented to mostly all presets (entry-level cams), beside other tweaks.

Initially I wanted to rename "crop mood" back to "crop mode" after the second release, but I kept it that way because:

1-It would be easier just to say "I am using crop mood", because we already have many "crop mode" versions.
2-It could be a reminder that's an unofficial build, but a community build.

Last thing, I am using "crop mood" in two places:

1- "crop mood" for "crop_rec.mo" module
2- "crop mood" in the build naming: a crop mood build simply means this build include crop_rec.mo (crop mood), the 2023 version.

Okay, here we go:
Crop mood - Build Walkthrough

-The video shows what to expect from the build
-The build will work in the same way on 650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D
-You missed reading the first post? I will read it because it has useful info

Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition Campaign

Goal reached!

-Pricing: 2214 GBP
-PayPal, debit and credit cards are supported

-Every donation will make us one step closer to a release date.
-You are paying for the things that have been done at its current state.

-Once we reach our goal, both the source-code and the build will be released to everyone!
-Now the thing is forward to ML community hands :)

Crop mood - It's online!

The new crop mood build versions will always be in this link:

(Build is available for 650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D)

-Source code:
 Reveal the magic!

petabyte

First ML on ML, then my Fuji DOOM port, and now this. Too many amazing things happening today 8)

elenhil

I don't really know what to think. On the one hand, it is April Fools Day. In the other hand, ML devs seem have a tendency to announce mind-blowing breakthroughs on precisely that date.

Отправлено с моего SM-G960F через Tapatalk

iaburn

Is it for real? You said you were working on this and showed your progress, but what you show on the video is hard to believe... it would really be the last big step that was missing  :o
I will wait a couple of days to be sure, but the fact that you put a price, gives me hope :D

PS: How can I contribute to the goal?

SebastianC

I believe you can do it Bilal, and I hope the day will quickly come true, hope eos 100d the 3k 1x1 will get a long time for every shot! because I am keener on 1x1 mode than ever!

Mattia

That's a really amazing improvement, Bilal! You've got some real skills, seriously! But... what about us alone and forgotten and sad and abandoned 5d3 users? Is there any hope for us?

Danne

Nothing more to believe here. I tested all presets on my eos m. They are solidly working as described. Not sure why we are riding on a1ex April 1st date but so be it.

Hopefully the community will value this code very high. It's sort of the final piece of the puzzle. I will put in a few dollars too of course. I really want to see the code  :P.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: kitor on April 01, 2023, 09:15:02 PM
And for users who are wondering, the contents of the announcement video, also the topic . . were 100% real :)

Will update the first post with more info and details and what expect from this build soon. Will update pricing details and payment methods after that.
Yes, it's real :D

notthesame

Quote from: Mattia on April 02, 2023, 08:17:28 AM
That's a really amazing improvement, Bilal! You've got some real skills, seriously! But... what about us alone and forgotten and sad and abandoned 5d3 users? Is there any hope for us?

:) I'm now in the same boat: could finally get a 5d3 for cheap. After using Magiclantern on my EOS M since a couple of years. I thought I should finally switch to the Rolls-royce of Magiclantern cameras. Haven't tested much yet: but certainly the quality is improoved and Magiclantern seems more responsive. But, I also see now more clearly the biggest benefit of the EOS M: the size and weight compared to the 5d3 is a factor which I greatly underestimated. EOS M is the perfect travel and always with me cam. The 5d3 in comparison is really, really big and heavy. Still I hope now, that also 5d3 will get improovements.

Thank you so much Billal for always pushing Magiclantern to new heights!

RumiG

I'm so excited about the development of this camera, l hope the best for the developers, and will support them 👍

AWESOME JOB!!

TO THE MOON 😁

Grognard

Awesome! Now it's just perfect ! Is it the last update? :D Only minor  improvements could be done in the futur: real 24 FPS instead of 23.976, 280 MHz overclock, FRTP in 3k mode etc..

Grognard

Quote from: notthesame on April 02, 2023, 09:17:33 PM
The 5d3 in comparison is really, really big and heavy. Still I hope now, that also 5d3 will get improovements.

Yes it's bigger and heavier but it's still a light cam if we compare to an Arri ;) But it's more stable than the M depending of your configuration.

Mattia

5d3 it's for sure heavier compared to the M but still way lighter than a Red or an Alexa. And it's a full frame! That's for sure the main advantage over the M, other than being much more responsive, in my opinion.

To have some frtp modes on the 5d3 would make this camera a serious competitor of way more expensive cinema cameras.

ilia3101

I've had early access on my EOS M. It's 100% real. WYSIWYG.

But there's more...

This feels like magic lantern did in 2016, the menus are snappy, doesn't slow down the camera, and there's almost no bugs/crashes (this actually applies to the 5D3 as well ;))

This is the best Magic Lantern we've ever had.

Bilal is doing amazing work. I can't thank him enough.

ilia3101

Quote from: Mattia on April 03, 2023, 11:13:14 AM
That's for sure the main advantage over the M, other than being much more responsive, in my opinion.

Oh you'll see about reponsiveness ;)

pmiramon

Quote from: ilia3101 on April 03, 2023, 10:38:28 PM
I've had early access on my EOS M. It's 100% real. WYSIWYG.

But there's more...

This feels like magic lantern did in 2016, the menus are snappy, doesn't slow down the camera, and there's almost no bugs/crashes (this actually applies to the 5D3 as well ;))

This is the best Magic Lantern we've ever had.

Bilal is doing amazing work. I can't thank him enough.

What good news! It is even better than expected. Each new piece of information is more exciting than the last. We will be happy to support!

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks everyone!

I have added info/details about the new build in the first post beside other related stuff.
Will add some more pictures and videos show how the build work too. You should take a look :D

iaburn

It gets better and better!
Money more than well deserved, no need for justification, results speak for themselves  :D
I paid 100€ for vlog on a GH4 back in the day, that was unjustified  >:(

mlrocks

Now 700D/650D/100D/EOSM are Alexa Classic/XT in a much better ergonomic body, much better battery life, much more affordable media, and with sound!

Walter Schulz

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Mattia on April 02, 2023, 08:17:28 AM
But... what about us alone and forgotten and sad and abandoned 5d3 users? Is there any hope for us?

I have already answered this question here. Also re-answered in first post in this topic.
You have chosen a great model with a great hardware, and with great hardware comes great complexity :P

Please don't hold your breath and remember that I may not figure out how preview works on 5D3. I believe the hardware is powerful enough though (take entry-level models as great Proof of Concept).
These kind of stuff may take years or may not happen. I think if there are more devs who are interested to work on this very thing, the progress might be faster. Too bad currently I am the only one.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Grognard on April 03, 2023, 08:47:25 AM
Only minor  improvements could be done in the futur: real 24 FPS instead of 23.976, 280 MHz overclock, FRTP in 3k mode etc..

Actually, real 24 FPS can be done easily, would you even notice the diffrence?
Limited FRTP in 3K preset is possible, currently it would be limited to 2868 width and the remaining 204 pixels will be black. I think somehow we may exceed 2868 limit too, might figure it out in 2026 :P

Grognard

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 04, 2023, 10:08:01 PM
Actually, real 24 FPS can be done easily, would you even notice the diffrence?

Yes it's usefull for making a DCP or when we mix rushes from another camera in 24fps with 23.976 fps without sound shift.

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on April 04, 2023, 10:08:01 PM
Limited FRTP in 3K preset is possible, currently it would be limited to 2868 width and the remaining 204 pixels will be black. I think somehow we may exceed 2868 limit too, might figure it out in 2026 :P

In the next episode  :)

pmiramon

Quote from: Grognard on April 04, 2023, 10:29:17 PM
Yes it's usefull for making a DCP or when we mix rushes from another camera in 24fps with 23.976 fps without sound shift.

This is interesting! I knew that with the free software DCP-o-matic you can transform from 23.976 to 24fps DCP, but with the slight pitch variation in the audio (I don't know how noticeable it is). Clearly, 24 fps native would make things easier.