Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, April 01, 2023, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhythmicEye

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 12, 2023, 01:08:15 AM
Thanks! I appreciate it, currently I don't have a personal funding account, also I am not sure if I want to create one.
Well, you can probably still be able to support ML project by donating to ML bitcoin address (if you are familiar with Bitcoin).

Yes I'm very familiar with Bitcoin. However it's been tanking recently and I'd prefer my donation didn't devalue once donated  ;D

RhythmicEye

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 11, 2023, 10:53:08 PM
Thanks @RhythmicEye!

This an old issue which is related to susepdning aewb task i.e when setting Small hacks to "More" also when using shutter fine-tuning.

What about having both without a compromise :D :
I was able to find a workaround and fix the issue three days ago, this commit (no one noticed the commit? :P). The fix will be available in next release, you can also compile from the source if you want.

Bilal, Bilal, Bilal!!! Crop Mood is becoming the uber beast of beast ML builds.

Awesome work.
RE

mlrocks

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 11, 2023, 10:28:19 PM
You need to turn off sound recording (beside 240 MHz, Small hacks to All/More), I mentioned this in first post, also in my build walkthrough video.

Thank you, Bil. You are right. I had the sound on.

It seems L/R from customize buttons doesn't do anything on EOS M, beside you can already change shutter speed using the wheel (check the linked video at 9:00).

It's not available yet, there are old maps but might not fit for all of new crop mood presets. I answered here too with some info.

mlrocks

Quote from: gabriielangel on May 28, 2023, 06:01:47 PM
Have you tried turning sound recording off before recording? The way Bilal stated it in the first post suggests that no sound will be recorded when using that mode, but for it to work, you actually need to turn sound recording off.

Thanks. I did not. I will try sound off.

mlrocks

To my eyes, 650d ml footage is even better than that from some famous log based video cameras. Bravo.
I suspect that none of the log based video cameras can compete with 650d/700d/100d/m ml crop mood. Except the Alexas with 12 bit prores4444 (internal actually 14 bit).
In other words, only raw video cameras may compete with ml crop mood cameras and 5d3.

ThePotatoParadox

Are there plans to make the playback fully functional?

Walter Schulz

theBilalFakhouri

Personally I don't have plans to work on in camera real-time MLV playback,
but I believe it might be possible if we understand how camera image processing engines work (i.e hardware accelerators), e.g the camera can already process RAW data in real-time in LiveView.

bobolee

I'm here to report some minor issues I've encountered:
1,Horizontal lines on "1:1 presets 2.5k 10bit",no issue on 14 bit.

2,Frame order error.Won't get this error message everytime,but it pops up randomly.Seems like it will get this error more if  a slower speed sd card was in use.The footage recorded looks OK on MLV APP.

3,Is there anything you can do to make the temperature lower ?

4,When using FPS override ,chose "optimize for exact fps",the screen will go corrupt.I don't have picture to show this one,but it's easy for you to find this problem.
EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit

bobolee

Instead of making a "out of the box,ready to be use by newbies" build,this build is likely to give users more freedom to make changes to suit various kinds of shootings.I applaud this idea.But I can't make changes to parameters of cinematography(like:resolution,fps,crop factor,etc) in this build ,it is still "presets" based.Why can't I have my own presets which I can define the resolution-fps-crop factor,etc I like?
EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit

names_are_hard

Quote from: bobolee on July 01, 2023, 09:57:04 AM
Why can't I have my own presets which I can define the resolution-fps-crop factor,etc I like?

Because every preset requires dev work to get working correctly.  This is harder than you might expect.

You can have this if you're willing to learn C, experiment, debug the code, determine a reliable algorithm that maps the settings you want to the internal settings needed on the cam, and then finally, exposes this to the user in a new menu system you also need to code.

ML700D

hi bilal..
is it possible to add 3:2 ratio 1x1 and 1x3 mood preset?
I think this is more versatile in re-framing in post..

thanks.
EOS 700D

eardrumfilms

Quote from: ML700D on July 04, 2023, 02:33:57 PM
hi bilal..

thanks.

And maybe it's a dumb question but will it be possible in the future to have vertical aspect ratios? Not for having vertical video but for filming horizontal video with the camera in vertical so the rolling shutter doesn't affect horizontal pans and movements. Does it make any sense?

ML700D

Quote from: ML700D on July 04, 2023, 02:33:57 PM
hi bilal..

thanks.

** I changed my mind.. 3:2 in 1x3 mood will be 4.5:1 ratio which is  too wide lol..
EOS 700D

names_are_hard

Quote from: eardrumfilms on July 04, 2023, 02:54:41 PM
And maybe it's a dumb question but will it be possible in the future to have vertical aspect ratios? Not for having vertical video but for filming horizontal video with the camera in vertical so the rolling shutter doesn't affect horizontal pans and movements. Does it make any sense?

Not a dumb question, but off topic for this post and has been asked several times before.  Should be possible, don't think anybody has tried to implement it.

It won't remove rolling shutter of course, just change what the effect looks like.

ML700D

hi bilal,
when I record using crop mood 1x3 higher (1392x2350) and 1x1 1440p, why its required recording speed is unstable? sometimes it need above 100mb/s or 95mb/s but sometimes I can record more than 10 seconds in the same setting?

EOS 700D

Walter Schulz

Compression efficiency depends on scene and exposure. Overexposure may break compression.
Some guy here did some thorough investigation. Can't find it right now.

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26851.msg243544#msg243544
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25781.msg240610#msg240610

ML700D

EOS 700D

Wannabe

Hi, I am the guy who cannot run ML / Crop Mood on his EOS 100D.
I am now posting in this thread, as requested by theBilalFakhouri.

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 09, 2023, 11:47:11 PM
The crashes you are having are related to crop mood module because of changing preview configuration or in other words something related to LiveView (that what I can tell from this log).
Can this be fixed somehow? Any settings that I need to tweak?

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 09, 2023, 11:47:11 PMPlease share your ML settings, which preset exactly are you using at which aspect ratio (from crop mood menu)?
I am using the 5.2K, 4.8K and 4.4K presets at 2.35:1  aspect ratio. 10 bit color depth.

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 09, 2023, 11:47:11 PMDo all crop mood presets cause crashes?
Yes. They all cause crashes. Or at least the ones that I have tried so far (5.2K, 4.8K and 4.4K)

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 09, 2023, 11:47:11 PMCustomize buttons only work while crop mood is active and in normal preview.
I think Crop Mood is active on my camera. Isn't it one of the modules that the user turns ON from the very beginning?
Sorry if my replies sound lame. I have no idea what I am doing.

names_are_hard

I think Crop Mood is active on my camera. Isn't it one of the modules that the user turns ON from the very beginning?

If the cam crashes, all modules are automatically disabled on the next boot as a safety measure.

Wannabe

Quote from: names_are_hard on July 10, 2023, 12:35:52 AM
If the cam crashes, all modules are automatically disabled on the next boot as a safety measure.
This is bizarre, because even after hundreds of crashes, the modules that I turned on in the very beginning are still active.
They are:

names_are_hard

Not really bizarre, there are many possible reasons.  Perhaps Bilal changed the behaviour on purpose.  Perhaps your camera isn't crashing.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Wannabe on July 10, 2023, 12:20:36 AM
Can this be fixed somehow? Any settings that I need to tweak?

If we know the cause we might be able to find a workaround, yes.
I think the problem can be fixed if you replace the internal battery :P

I am using the 5.2K, 4.8K and 4.4K presets at 2.35:1  aspect ratio. 10 bit color depth.
Yes. They all cause crashes. Or at least the ones that I have tried so far (5.2K, 4.8K and 4.4K)

5.2K 2.35:1 preset doesn't work fine on 100D, I will make some tweaks to this preset on 100D in next release.
But since all of 2.35:1 1x3 (5.2K, 4.8K and 4.4K) presets are crashing, then crashing issues aren't related to a specifc preset.

-My geuss on what's happening (the following bug only affect 100D):

I had random crashing issues when I ported crop_rec.c (i.e crop_mood.mo) to 100D, the camera could crash at starup when crop mood is already active (from Movie tab) if the camera swtich turned from OFF to movie mode directly.
Crashes could also happen randomly when switching presets, this issue was bugging me for months, until I figured out what was happening:

It seems to happen because of changing zoom modes (among x1, x5 and x10) via ML call in crop_rec.c, if zoom mode changed directly after enerting LiveView the camera sometime crash,
or at least if it didn't crash right away, it can crash when swtiching presets or after some time when crop mood is active in LiveView, maybe that's happening because of changing LV zoom mode while LiveView isn't fully configured yet?

Good news that this issue was fixed with these two commits, so why it still happen for you:

Probably because of your 100D is asking to set date/time each time I guess on startup?
At this moment, I am guessing that crop_rec.c is making calls to change zoom mode (outside LV or when LV isn't fully configured yet), the added "msleep(700);" delay isn't enough is this case.

-Test to try:
Swtich camera from OFF to Photo mode first, set date/time (or just press cancel) then switch it to movie mode, try recording in 4.8K with same settings, does it crash?

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Wannabe on July 10, 2023, 12:48:14 AM
..because even after hundreds of crashes, the modules that I turned on in the very beginning are still active.

There is a setting in Debug menu to always load modules even after a crash, it could be that.
The modules will not be loaded only for next camera boot after a crash, but after that (after another boot) modules will load normally.

Quote from: names_are_hard on July 10, 2023, 12:57:54 AM
Perhaps Bilal changed the behaviour on purpose.

Not really, didn't touch that.

Wannabe

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 10, 2023, 01:27:20 AM
Swtich camera from OFF to Photo mode first, set date/time (or just press cancel) then switch it to movie mode, try recording in 4.8K with same settings, does it crash?
I believe it worked now. I think I recorded a video in Crop Mood (unless it's been just the regular Canon video mode, not quite sure). When I manually stopped the recording, the camera crashed and turned itself off.

Now I also have to deal with the ISO problem - it's stuck at 6400 and cannot be lowered. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here. How do you change the ISO and aperture in Crop Mood anyway?
The custom buttons are not functional and the aperture dial is not working as well.

If I try to do a 10X zoom using the set button, the camera turns itself off and crashes.

Also, Crop Mood doesn't load anymore. Maybe it went back to what names_are_hard was talking about and stopped loading after a crash.

This camera is a gigantic MESS. Absolutely useless and unreliable in any aspect imaginable.