Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iaburn

Danne I've installed your latest version (crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only_2023Jan31.EOSM202.zip) and I cannot get Dual ISO to work. Anyone else having this problem?

I tried deleting everything on the card and copying just the new files, but doesn't work. I can activate it, but then it says that the dynamic range gain is 0 and it has no effect on the video.
On my other cards with older versions it works fine. Is there a way to download older versions?

Danne

I am experimenting with dual iso. It is set to 100/100 iso from start, needs to be changed after set to on and when previewing it starts recording dualiso when starting to record. Before this it´s actually regual preview. This change is because then one can keep base iso 100 and then move previewing/recovery iso with short cuts button.

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on January 31, 2023, 07:12:42 PM
I am experimenting with dual iso. It is set to 100/100 iso from start, needs to be changed after set to on and when previewing it starts recording dualiso when starting to record. Before this it´s actually regual preview. This change is because then one can keep base iso 100 and then move previewing/recovery iso with short cuts button.

Ahhhhhh got it working now, brilliant idea!! No more going back and forth for focusing  :D

Danne

Had a little help from theBilalFakhouri   8).
My workflow now is enable dualiso and then I set my highlights according to iso 100. Then I am free to push my other iso around. Not perfect but faster than before at least.

iaburn

For some reason I cannot get it to work consistently, not sure what I'm doing different each time...
I understand that it should work like that:
- I set Dual ISO from the settings, and starts at 100/100. I then change it to whatever I want, like 100/1600.
- I go back to live view, and there I'm free to set the ISO for previewing to my liking.
- As soon as I press record, it will automatically set the Dual ISO config (100/1600) and start recording in Dual ISO mode.

It worked after I read your post (not sure if I followed those exact steps), but now it's just recording regular video, even though on the bottom it says 100/1600.

Danne

I will take a look. There´s probably a conflict somewhere with the shortcuts.
I only tested the other way around. i.e 1600/100 so that my recovery iso 100 is always set to 100 whereas 1600 is free to move around iso 800, 400 etc.
I´ll have a look later.

Danne

Pushed a fix. It´s updating iso as expected but it will flicker a bit when decreasing iso with gain buttons. Best I could do for now.

Danne

New build:
Major rework of iso shortcuts. Cleaned out a lot of code. Should help with stabilty.

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on February 01, 2023, 05:00:22 AM
New build:
Major rework of iso shortcuts. Cleaned out a lot of code. Should help with stabilty.

Wow...! I've been testing and it had to be a major rework because the feeling of confidence on a button when I press it is now x10  :D

On a side note, I'm new to Magic Lantern and it took me a while to know what a button will do when I press it, but I have to admit that it was not until now that I understand how to configure it properly. Thanks to the fact that on gain there is no "aperture+ISO" option anymore, I realized that it was not related to the wheel selector! So I finally made my mental model:
UP-DOWN -> ISO adjust
RIGHT -> Switch between aperture and shutter speed when rotating the wheel (make sense that the one active, either aperture or shutter speed, is highlighted on a different color or grey out the other one a bit?)
LEFT -> Focus zoom
SET -> Crop mode when available (1080 and 5K) or something else
INFO -> False colors if live view available, or actual frame preview

Dual ISO is working 100% of the time and the new method is sooo much better. Sometimes it's better to preview with low ISO (most of the scene is well lit, but there are some shadow parts) and sometimes with high ISO (just a few highlights on the scene), and now it's a pleasure being able to decide that and have a perfect preview until you click the record button.

I didn't compare the behavior with previous versions in detail, but the feeling is much better (in part due to me realizing how it was supposed to work), awesome!

Note: I had to cleanup my old settings, otherwise weird things were happening
Note 2: I think there was another version with the same name (Danne you never thought you will release 2 versions in one day hahah) that was not working properly for me, just in case someone downloaded the one that was up for a few hours.

Danne

Cool, thanks for testing!
Yes, I push multiple versions often so multiple downloads is a must  :P. I am lousy holding back  8).

amitkattal

New updates are great. I have tested all presets and no frame drops so far. Great.
One question though. Is it possible to make the greyscale display that shows up WHILE recording when we set to framing a little bit faster? Not the framing display but the one that shows while recording is going on.  Maybe make it skip more frames so as to keep up with the action. Since realtime preview isnt possible on higher modes, having a little bit faster framing display while recording can make upto it.

Danne

New upload

- Optimizing grayscale preview while recording with framing.

Mattia

Quote from: Danne on February 01, 2023, 11:10:05 PM
New upload

- Optimizing grayscale preview while recording with framing.

Do every preview benefit from this commit or only the grayscale ones? A faster framing preview on all modes would be a game changer.

amitkattal

Quote from: Mattia on February 01, 2023, 11:27:30 PM
Do every preview benefit from this commit or only the grayscale ones? A faster framing preview on all modes would be a game changer.

I have tested. All crop modes benefit from it. The higher the resolution, more laggy it would be but thats normal and still significantly faster. I use 2.5k, 2.8k and they are almost same speed as real time preview. even 5.2k is now totally usable.

Mattia

Quote from: amitkattal on February 01, 2023, 11:36:53 PM
I have tested. All crop modes benefit from it. The higher the resolution, more laggy it would be but thats normal and still significantly faster. I use 2.5k, 2.8k and they are almost same speed as real time preview. even 5.2k is now totally usable.

It doesn't really seem almost the same as real time to me.. Actually, I didn't notice any change on the 2.8k or 3k modes.. What settings/hacks are you using?

Mattia

Quote from: amitkattal on February 01, 2023, 11:36:53 PM

Ok I made some tests and the 2.8k 10 bit looks almost real time, as bit depth or resolution increases the refresh rate decreases.. Could it be partly because I'm using an old and slow sd card? What card are you using?

amitkattal

Quote from: Mattia on February 02, 2023, 12:16:15 AM
Ok I made some tests and the 2.8k 10 bit looks almost real time, as bit depth or resolution increases the refresh rate decreases.. Could it be partly because I'm using an old and slow sd card? What card are you using?

Yes higher resolution and bit depth will make it laggier. 2.5k 10 bit is most fast and 5.2k is least but still usable. i am using sandisk pro 200 mb/s

Mattia

I made some weird discover in my tests of the new build, a nice one actually: in 3k mode, 14bit, at 2.39 aspect ratio the recording slows down and then stops after few seconds. At 16/9 aspect ratio is continuous.

Danne

Uploaded a fix for 5k anamorphic frtp when ratio set to OFF(1736x2178). Cropped real time previewving working.

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on February 02, 2023, 06:34:40 AM
Uploaded a fix for 5k anamorphic frtp when ratio set to OFF(1736x2178). Cropped real time previewving working.

Thanks, I realized yesterday that I couldn't set this mode at 24fps, but now it works :)

What I also noticed is that the view stays on "Real-time" and I cannot change it to "Preview" pressing the assigned button. It looks like internally it changes the value, because if I start and stop recording, then it sets the "Preview" correctly if it was set to it before.
Another thing, that I guess is a side-effect from the Preview speed improvements, is that I cannot get continuos recording anymore at 1736x2178 12bit, not even at 10bit.
If I disable Global draw, then I get continuos again, and even Immortal at 10bit, but I don't know what I'm recording  :D

Danne

I'll take a look later. Could be more processor heavy now but it's possible to tweak this easily in mlv_lite. Not sure it is a problem though. 10bit is a must with that preset. Did you get better results with older builds?
Not sure what's going on with your preview issue. It's grayscale framing for this preset.

iaburn

I tried again with an old card and the recording at 1736x2178 12bit lasted about the same, but with lower fps preview. Forget what I said, it's better now  :D

Danne

Cool. That particular preset is a bit on the verge  8)
If you elaborate a little on the preview issue it would be nice to solve. Expected now is that one have to select framing or real time manually.

iaburn

Quote from: Danne on February 02, 2023, 02:29:21 PM
Cool. That particular preset is a bit on the verge  8)
If you elaborate a little on the preview issue it would be nice to solve. Expected now is that one have to select framing or real time manually.

User error... now I deleted my presets, start over with framing selected from the start, and everything working smoothly  8) Thanks!

Danne

New upload:

Added an option to automate previewing in real time but goes into framing grayscale when recording(Real time idle). Affects higher resolutions in crop mode. Better for previewing histogram etc according to a user who reached out:

Also testing being a little more gentle to the cpu following this suggestion:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25287.msg241992#msg241992

Not gonna show in speed but might help a little in some cases.