Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iaburn

Is there anything special that has to be done on this update? I tried just copying the files but I was having problems: the screen was black and only worked with 10x zoom, some presets like 5K frtp have like 2.5K resolution... lot of weird things going on.
I tried updating the firmware like on a fresh install, but still having the same issues. I'm using the build from 1h ago.
Thanks!

Danne

Walter Schulz

Quote from: iaburn on January 06, 2023, 06:19:18 PM
the screen was black and only worked with 10x zoom, some presets like 5K frtp have like 2.5K resolution... lot of weird things going on.
I tried updating the firmware like on a fresh install, but still having the same issues. I'm using the build from 1h ago.

Rename ML directory, rename autoexec.bin and ML-SETUP.FIR. Copy extracted build contents to card.
Remove battery, insert battery and card. Startup camera. Report back.

Ernani

More people share my gratitude:

"Just updated to the latest-latest that was posted an hour ago and it is BRILLIANT. I now has near instant 10x focus aid on 1080P that immediately switches back to LV.
Danne I LOVE U BRO! Thanks so much!"

FB ML group

gabriielangel

Hello @danne,

The 2.5k, 29.97  Bug is fixed.

Half-shutter gives a corrupted preview at 5.2k frtp (But preview is ok when using the * button)

The 2.8k vertical lines are still there, and those are recorded to the file.

Frame export of the mlv: M06-1322-frame-1" border="0

iaburn

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 06, 2023, 06:25:22 PM
Rename ML directory, rename autoexec.bin and ML-SETUP.FIR. Copy extracted build contents to card.
Remove battery, insert battery and card. Startup camera. Report back.

I think something went wrong on the update and now the camera is not working properly. I tried with another card that worked fine this morning and now is having the same issues  :'(

Danne

Hm, I cannot reproduce your issues. Are you testing fresh install and simply selecting a preset or are you adding, changing settings? If changing stuff do test with settings untouched. Then test with your tweaks but include what you changed so we know exactly what to test 👍.
I suspect 2.8k preset needs some waiting before recording after using zoomaid. X10 zoom runs in 30fps i believe and going back 2.8k will take some time for the regs to settle.

iaburn

False alarm thank god... it was just that I changed the video settings on Canon' menu to 640 from 1080p and it seems to mess things up :O
Working great, so cool that Danne is still finding time to work on this updates, thank you!

For some reason the combination of power and limitations on the EOS M with ML makes it so much fun to use :D

Danne

New build

Could repoduce some stuck reg situation with 5k frtp but it was fixed by pushing halfshutter again but I added back the patch hook routine for the 5k frtp preset which seems to make it much more stable. Question remains if the other presets works ok now or if we need to add back more of them.
Could you check @gabrielangel
Did the 2.8k preset work better before on your end?

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on January 06, 2023, 06:45:35 PM
Hm, I cannot reproduce your issues. Are you testing fresh install and simply selecting a preset or are you adding, changing settings? If changing stuff do test with settings untouched. Then test with your tweaks but include what you changed so we know exactly what to test 👍.

This is a clean install, I only changed the ratio to 2.39:1, nothing else.
But my lens (Conon EF 35 f2) was set to AF.

So:

a- 2.8k Vertical Lines
With lens set to AF (Or Autofocus enabled in the canon menu with the ef-m kit lens)
For the 2.8k bug to show, you need to focus-aid in-out a few times in a row for the vertical lines to appear obvious. Those will show in darker areas.

With Lens set to MF (or AF off in canon menu with kit lens), the vertical lines do not appear.

b- 5k frtp corrupted preview
With preset set to 2.39:1,
For the 5k frtp bug to show, try hitting the shutter button very briefly, or vary the time you leave your finger on the half-shutter before releasing. It will show.

But when preset is set to 16:9, the preview appears correctly.

If you still cannot reproduce, I will do a video recording for you later.

Thanks!

EDIT: I did not see your new post, gimme an hour and I will report back.

Danne

Thanks for report. Auto focus is a no go in general working with my builds. Manual always ;).

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on January 06, 2023, 07:00:53 PM
New build

Could repoduce some stuck reg situation with 5k frtp but it was fixed by pushing halfshutter again but I added back the patch hook routine for the 5k frtp preset which seems to make it much more stable. Question remains if the other presets works ok now or if we need to add back more of them.
Could you check @gabrielangel

a- 5kfrtp, any ratio

When lens is set of MF, it works as expected.

When lens is set to AF, pressing half shutter corrupts the image
BUT, pressing * to get in, and half-shutter to get out works fine.

b- 2.8k, 2.39:1

When lens is set to MF, works fine.

When lens set to AF, * in, half-shutter out works.
Half-shutter in-out gives the vertical lines. Do in-out a few times in a row for those to become obvious.

c-2.5k preset works fine at every setting. AF slightly less snappy, but working fine nonetheless.

Quote from: Danne on January 06, 2023, 07:00:53 PM

With the OCT 6 2022 Build, Everything was working well, except that the camera would not always remember the AF after exiting focus aid (Image would re-become blurry after a successful focus)
This only happened with the EF lens mounted on a viltrox adapter.
When using the kit lens, the AF worked 9/10. (On the Jan 5 2023 build, that part of the story worked well with every lens though!)

The 2.8k preset was also a little more immune to stopping early at 12 bits.

This may, or may not be relevant to help identify an unclosed loop:

When turning the camera on, one-shot AF would lock and beep. Even if you did it 10 times in a row.

But after recording the first clip, it would focus successfully, but the beep would not sound.

SO, MF works fine now at every resolution.

As for one-shot AF, you're not that far. I'm sure that you will eventually stumble upon what's acting out.

Thanks again for the fixes!

Danne

Ok, Af is the problem.
Manual focusing is the way. I will not test af as it's too buggy.
Thanks for those tests.

titaniumshell

Appreciate all the hard work you have put into the eosm build. I believe there is an hdmi bug for monitors. Basically plugging in the monitor resets the custom buttons option and disables x3 crop.
It stays like this until you set the buttons up again.
This was present in Oct6 build.

Danne

I think I did some automation here yes, canĀ“t remember. But those fixes were there for a reason. What is the problem?

dpjpandone

The issue is he want to press set for 3x with a monitor connected and the option is greyed out (disabled) when you connect a monitor. I think line 2493 in your crop_rec.c is causing this:

/*when enabling hdmi port turn off following*/
if (shamem_read(0xC0F14224) == 0x77F077F)
{
zoomaid = 0;
x3toggle = 0;
}

When i comment out x3toggle = 0; it allows the user to use 3x crop with monitor connected, but I didn't investigate further because the 2k preset accomplishes the same thing as 3x crop (for my needs) and I assumed you did this for stability

Danne

Something like that. Don't think it worked with hdmi.

titaniumshell

Hi Danne
The x3 crop feature becomes unusable
in 1080 mode with a monitor connection.
The set button stops working and wants to open the ML menu.

dpjpandone

Quote from: titaniumshell on January 07, 2023, 10:15:49 PM
Hi Danne

you don't need this. if you want 3x crop just use the 2k preset, it's the same FOV, it's stable, and it works with the monitor. Even allows you to zoom with half-shutter while recording.

Danne

Quote from: titaniumshell on January 07, 2023, 10:15:49 PM
Hi Danne

It's disabled because it's not working with hdmi connected.

gabriielangel

Tested Jan 8 2023 build today.

When using half-shutter, Focus aid transitions are slightly slower than last build, but 100% reliable and consistent now.

It is possible to Autofocus before recording; and during recording with 1080p, 2K and 2.5K quite reliably (Some limitations) as long as you are in good light.
I was able to follow and auto focus on squirrels and young kids going left and right, with seemingly no impact on usual recording times.

You can't rack-focus (Because it always focus the whole range from back to front). This has to be done manually.

it is worth reporting as it can be useful.

Details.

MF:

1080p: Snappy,  but when focus-aid while recording, it shows a pinkish display.

5k frtp: Snappy, 2k: Snappy, 2.5k: Snappy, 2.8K: Snappy, 3K:  Snappy
Those all zoom in cleanly while recording and return to normal automatically.

AF (With small Hacks set to AF off)
Allows to autofocus before recording, but not while recording.

1080p:
Half-Shutter gives a static frame, * button works.
Pressing while recording behaves like MF.

5k frtp:
Can focus-aid with half shutter only once (Will nail focus), then other attempts will show a corrupted display. Using * to get in, then half shutter to focus and get out works cleanly.

2k:
Works well.

2.5k:
Works well, there is a slight delay to get out of half shutter.
Pressing half shutter while recording will mess up focus, * button works.

2.8K:
Using half-shutter will yield vertical lines, the effect is magnified by half shutter consecutive times.

Zooming in with *, then focus and exit with half shutter works, even when doing it several times in a row.

Pressing half shutter while recording works sometimes but not reliably, * button works.

3k:
Using half-shutter will yield vertical lines, but won't record in file like 2.8k.

Zooming in with *, then focus and exit with half shutter works, even when doing it several times in a row.

Pressing half shutter while recording works sometimes but not reliably, * button works.

AF (With small Hacks set to AF on)
Allows to autofocus before recording and while recording when applicable.

1080p:
The AF is somewhat continuous. It is slow, but AF happens automatically when you move around.
Half-Shutter gives a static frame, * button works.
Pressing while recording gives a corrupted display.

5k frtp:
Before recording, Can focus-aid with half shutter only once (Will nail focus), then other attempts will show a corrupted display. Using * to get in, then half shutter to focus and get out works cleanly, even repeatdly.

Pressing half shutter while recording nails focus reliably, even if you re focus several times.
* button works.

2k:
Before recording, Works well (need to leave your finger on the button long enough).
Pressing while recording works reliably (need to leave your finger on the button long enough).

2.5k:
Before recording,Works well, there is a slight delay to get out of half shutter.
Pressing half shutter while recording works well, but sometimes stops working.

To make it 100% reliable (or to fix it when it stops working), press and hold * then focus with half-shutter.

2.8K:
Before recording, Using half-shutter will yield vertical lines, the effect is magnified by half shutter consecutive times. The vertical lines are recorded in file.

Pressing half shutter while recording works but not reliably, * button works.

3k:
Using half-shutter will yield vertical lines, but won't record in file like 2.8k.

Pressing half shutter while recording doesn't work, * button works.

Danne

Thanks for checking focusing possibilties. I tested around some and conclusions pretty much the same as described. Using * button and halfshutter when not recording works. While recording most presets works kind of which is good.

"Pressing while recording gives a corrupted display."(1080p)
This preset and high frame rate presets has a preview zoom which looks like shit but still useful for manual focusing.

Regarding 2.8k preset. Could you test lowering frame rate a little? Use either reg_6014 or from the set 25fps menu(tap the menu item to get access to fps override and lower it). Want to check if this will fix the issue. Then probably 2.8k is borderline case especially when using auto focus. Fix will be to lower height a little.

Maybe also possible to fix by changing reg_6008 and reg_6014 together. Try increasing reg_6008 and decrease reg_6014 or other way around.

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on January 09, 2023, 07:58:38 AM
Thanks for checking focusing possibilties. I tested around some and conclusions pretty much the same as described. Using * button and halfshutter when not recording works. While recording most presets works kind of which is good.

"Pressing while recording gives a corrupted display."(1080p)
This preset and high frame rate presets has a preview zoom which looks like shit but still useful for manual focusing.

Regarding 2.8k preset. Could you test lowering frame rate a little? Use either reg_6014 or from the set 25fps menu(tap the menu item to get access to fps override and lower it). Want to check if this will fix the issue. Then probably 2.8k is borderline case especially when using auto focus. Fix will be to lower height a little.

Maybe also possible to fix by changing reg_6008 and reg_6014 together. Try increasing reg_6008 and decrease reg_6014 or other way around.

With 2,8k
A)
set 25fps set to on
value of -380, which gives an even multiple of 23.976, 19.986 (makes it easier to fit on a 24p timeline without interpolation or optical flow artifacts.)

AF before recording works, but vertical lines still appear.
AF while recording doesn't work.

B)
Tried setting reg_6014 to -250 and reg_6008 to 250 in increments of 10 (freezes at +-300)
Doesn't improve.

C)
Tried starting from the 3K preset (starting from 2.5k preset) and lower resolution to 2560 then move up to 2880x1206
More Hacks: lvface
12 bits
Af works before and while recording.
Vertical lines still appear while previewing, but did not record to the file.

I would refrain from lowering the 2.8K resolution, as it allows to rescale to 2520, and gain a little sharpness  (or FOV if you don't get closer) and reduce the appearance of noise significantly.

If you tell me which regs affect resolution, I could try starting from 2.5K and up to whatever, to see when the vertical lines start appearing.

It would be good to eventually make the "Set 25fps" behave like the "Frame rate override" (Off turns it off, even if the inside value is not set to 0). This setting is very handy, but easy to forget.
I use startoff presets to circumvent.

Danne

6804 and 713 follows to change resolution. Try lower 2.8 a little.

gabriielangel

Quote from: Danne on January 09, 2023, 06:59:26 PM
6804 and 713 follows to change resolution. Try lower 2.8 a little.

In the previous test, I had tried to lower the 2.8k resolution by modifying the Raw Video size, didn't work, so I tried starting from 3K instead in C)

D)
Start from 2.8K preset

I  can modify 713c and  6804_height to taste, but changing 6804_width gives a corrupted zoom-in preview.

So I modified height down to 870 with 6804_height only (And followed 713c accordingly), didn't improve.

Then modified the width using Raw video size, all the way down to 2080x870 in 20 pix steps, display and zoom in preview are fine, but still vertical lines and AF doesn't work while recording.