Bilal's crop_rec_4k experiments for 100D / SL1

Started by theBilalFakhouri, June 06, 2022, 12:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

names_are_hard

Quote from: edt on July 05, 2023, 05:33:00 PM
It's rated 140MB/s should do the trick

Manufacturers list the read speed, because it's bigger.  You care about the write speed.

edt

Walter Schulz

https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25841.0
In my area Samsung EVO Plus are frequently on sale giving them best price/performance ratio.

Wannabe

Hi guys, I just found this thread.
I got myself an EOS 100D and I have the following problem: Crop Mood does not work on it.
Crop Mood interrupts the recording after about one second and then it turns the camera off.

Here is a video that showcases the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WOl37HwIeds

names_are_hard

First off: the video shows ML working on the cam.

It looks like you're trying to record in 5.2k.  This requires a card capable of fast writing.  What do benchmarks show you for this card?

Wannabe

Quote from: names_are_hard on July 09, 2023, 09:12:37 PM
First off: the video shows ML working on the cam.

It looks like you're trying to record in 5.2k.  This requires a card capable of fast writing.  What do benchmarks show you for this card?

names_are_hard

Confirms that the card doesn't suck, that's something.

Do you get long recordings at lower resolutions?

Wannabe

Quote from: names_are_hard on July 09, 2023, 09:30:02 PM
Confirms that the card doesn't suck, that's something.

Do you get long recordings at lower resolutions?
It only worked once out of many tries. I was able to record about 20 seconds of video at 4.8K.
My card's volume is only 64 GB. I was told that these small volume cards can be problematic and that I should buy a new card that is at least 128 GB.

Walter Schulz

There are cards types affected by size (low storage size with reduced performance) but this would show in benchmark. Your benchmark runs are ok which means your card is not affected.

Your card is not the fastest but a mere 5 percent difference to best performers should only have marginal effects on resolution/recording duration. Just take care not to overexpose which will break compression thus causing buffer overflow in an instant.
Make a test record in an environment with controlled lighing.
You should be able to get continuous recording somewhere between 70 to 80 MByte/s.

Wannabe

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 09, 2023, 10:11:38 PM
There are cards types affected by size (low storage size with reduced performance) but this would show in benchmark. Your benchmark runs are ok which means your card is not affected.

Your card is not the fastest but a mere 5 percent difference to best performers should only have marginal effects on resolution/recording duration. Just take care not to overexpose which will break compression thus causing buffer overflow in an instant.
Make a test record in an environment with controlled lighing.
You should be able to get continuous recording somewhere between 70 to 80 MByte/s.
Thanks. It is already night where I live and I will try to test it in a dark room where there is not much light.
Will come back with an update in a few minutes.

Wannabe

I tried to record a video in a dark room. No luck again.
Crop Mood/ML crashes all the time.
I tried so many times, that I became an expert at pulling out the battery in record time.

Then the aperture dial stopped working.

Then the ISO cannot be changed and it is stuck at 6400. No way to lower it.

Then the custom buttons cannot be adjusted from the ML settings.
I tried to set Up/Down arrows for ISO control and Left/Right arrows for aperture control. I then restarted the camera. It did not work.

Then I got the following error screen:

Nothing works, folks.

theBilalFakhouri

The crashes you are having are related to crop mood module because of changing preview configuration or in other words something related to LiveView (that what I can tell from this log).
Please share your ML settings, which preset exactly are you using at which aspect ratio (from crop mood menu)? Do all crop mood presets cause crashes?

The SD card isn't related to camera crashes (lock up) in this case.

Customize buttons only work while crop mood is active and in normal preview.

theBilalFakhouri

Also please consider to report any problem related to crop mood build in Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D) thread to keep things more organised.
I might lock my previous threads for my previous 100D / 650D / 700D custom builds, and keep them as archive (I will no longer support them).

Wannabe

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 09, 2023, 11:55:19 PM
Also please consider to report any problem related to crop mood build in Crop mood - WYSIWYG Edition (650D / 700D / EOS M / 100D) thread to keep things more organised.
I might lock my previous threads for my previous 100D / 650D / 700D custom builds, and keep them as archive (I will no longer support them).
Alright, thanks.
I will stop posting in this thread and will use the one you linked instead.