MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vastunghia

Agreed. Like, NR in DVR without an eGPU totally destroys fps in any, so any difference would be evened out. I'm going to compare the two points in a very simple, plain-vanilla setting.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

masc

In MLVApp using Clarity, Highlights and Shadows also will destroy any good fps - special algorithms behind ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

vastunghia

Aha, I see. Shadows and HL are a must, at least for me. Good to know that they had an impact on the fps when doing render of the graded clips, thanks.

EDIT: In fact, I realized that I get 3 fps of realtime playback with the graded version, but up to 9 fps with the ungraded one. I see that Shadows and HL are doing most of the harm here. But also (a bit unexpectedly at least for me) filters seem to have some minor impact.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

masc

Quote from: vastunghia on April 19, 2023, 04:43:08 PM
Aha, I see. Shadows and HL are a must, at least for me.
Not really. Try to pull down exposure and then raise "lighten". Looks mostly better, is always faster.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

vastunghia

Quote from: masc on April 19, 2023, 05:19:32 PM
Not really. Try to pull down exposure and then raise "lighten". Looks mostly better, is always faster.

Nice one!
5D3 for video
70D for photo

vastunghia

One more question, not related to prior discussion: What's the difference between filters and LUTs? Had a look at film.h and they look like LUTs?
5D3 for video
70D for photo

masc

Film is a look-simulation trained using neural networks. LUT uses 1D or 3D LUT files to change the look.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

vastunghia

Interesting, once again, thanks.

But what does this mean in terms of the transformation being applied to the RGB space? LUTs are easy to understand. But what do filters do? For instance, do they apply a continuous function instead of interpolating between discrete points defined in some RGB lattice? Do you have any documentation on this?

Sorry for bothering you, I like to understand things ;)
5D3 for video
70D for photo

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IBIRRU

I'm sorry but after digging 2 days into the forum I need to ask about a problem with MLV App v 1.14.

I use win 10 pro and win 11 pro

If I use v 1.13 all works without problem

using v1.14 (static or dynamic) when I export It run and finish without errors but the directory is always empty. Regardless of wich kind of conversion I define and select (TIFF, PNG etc)

I tried 3 different pc but always the same behaviour (v 1.13 works and v 1.14 don't). It puzzled me and It seems impossible because v.114 is 1 year old not and then well stable.

Anyone could help me to solve this issue?

Thank in advance and many many thanks to all people that contribute to develop such fantastic App.

And sorry for my bad english. :(

EOS 700D 1.1.5, EOS 500D

masc

@IBIRRU: hm... for PNG and TIFF there was a bug, which was fixed 7th july. But since then there was no new official release. When scrolling through the thread, I found this test build. Maybe try this for now:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.msg242369#msg242369
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IBIRRU

EOS 700D 1.1.5, EOS 500D

ilia3101

Quote from: vastunghia on April 20, 2023, 09:04:53 AM
But what does this mean in terms of the transformation being applied to the RGB space? LUTs are easy to understand. But what do filters do? For instance, do they apply a continuous function instead of interpolating between discrete points defined in some RGB lattice? Do you have any documentation on this?

Exactly this. They are a continous function (a tiny network trained on film convert before/afters), unlike LUTs... not that it makes any visual difference.

It's basically a LUT with extra steps. It was a silly experiment. But they are nice anyway.

vastunghia

Thanks ilia, they are indeed! And I love the idea anyway.

Would love to know a little more about the training set used. And the specific neural network properties — though I guess these can be inferred directly from code inspection.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

togg

Quote from: masc on April 17, 2023, 01:58:33 PM
@togg: you could plan to do the color correction and grading in MLVApp - it is made for this.

I guess you are right. Like a primary grade on MLV App. It's just not a standard approach. But I do appreciate how well MLVapp works. I moved to another camera now but I still film from time to time with the 5D and it makes sense to export prores directly from here.

mlrocks

using crop mood on 650d, i can record single files with a size like 100 gbs. On 5d3 and old 5/25/2022ml 650d, big files are separated into 4gb series.
now importing 100 gb files into mlv app, they can be graded, but can not exported. small files have no problem.

masc

Quote from: mlrocks on April 22, 2023, 05:32:52 AM
now importing 100 gb files into mlv app, they can be graded, but can not exported.
How that? No problem here. Is there a message? File size is a don't care for MLVApp.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

mlrocks

Quote from: masc on April 22, 2023, 03:29:52 PM
How that? No problem here. Is there a message? File size is a don't care for MLVApp.

Thanks for your reply, MASC.
I just found out that I used dnxhr and dnxhd, they are not working. Also maybe due to that the hard drive is almost full.
When I use ProRes422 in export setting, seems working, either with short or long clips.
Prbobaly ffmpeg has issues with avid's codecs? 
Anyway, I am going to stick to prores 422 or prores 422hq or prores4444. Good enough for me. Speed wise, seems they are good enough comparing to avid's codecs.

mlrocks

Unscientific observation: after upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, MLV App encoding speed (prores4444) seems to be 2-5 times slower than before. No rigorous test was done, just feeling so.

masc

If speed is important, do not use Windows. Using Unix you get much higher export speed on same hardware. Our algorithms are the same for all supported OS.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

koopg

Quote from: masc on April 18, 2023, 07:44:38 AM
@koopg: "this" = what?
adding tgis camera model like exiftool for addional functiinallity in davinci reaolve as suggested in the attached post

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

masc

Quote from: koopg on April 23, 2023, 09:38:09 PM
adding tgis camera model like exiftool for addional functiinallity in davinci reaolve as suggested in the attached post
No attached post available. No idea what you're talking about...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

mlrocks

Quote from: masc on April 23, 2023, 07:17:19 PM
If speed is important, do not use Windows. Using Unix you get much higher export speed on same hardware. Our algorithms are the same for all supported OS.

Thanks a lot, Masc. Eventually I will build a linux video station to fasten the encoding.

Icaab

Hello. I was shooting a lot of stuff where I didn't have to change the firmware parameters, but I happened to have 14 bits on the second memory card(unlike the first, where 12 bits).
Is it possible to perform a grading video in mlvapp so that the difference between 12 and 14 bits is not visible? How to do this then? Or when exporting to Apple ProRes 4444 there will be no difference?

masc

@Icaab: what difference do you see? Processing engine is always the same, no matter which bitdepth was used. So the result should look the same. The lower the bitdepth, the more noise in dark tones. You like to decrease quality of the high bitdepth clips?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202