Author Topic: Switch for macOS Catalina/Linux (former cr2hdr.app)  (Read 105507 times)

Danne

• Contributor
Re: Switch for macOS Catalina/Linux (former cr2hdr.app)
« Reply #500 on: June 01, 2020, 07:30:22 AM »
What happens in resolve has nothing with converting to do. Check google or create a new post if you can't find your answer in here already.

adrjork

« Reply #501 on: June 01, 2020, 08:49:28 AM »
Check google or create a new post if you can't find your answer in here already.
MY bad, sorry, I can't find in Google anything about how Resolve handles dng(from-mlv) with different tonemapping...

But actually my question was mainly oriented on Switch: which is its default tonemapping? Is there one?
And more generically: converting to DNG (which I'd do with Switch), which is the “most advisable” (if there's one) profile/tone to make the conversion? Or, being DNG, it's insignificant? (Here I mentioned Davinci only because, if it's insignificant, why I saw a huge difference in the same MLV converted in DNG with two different tonemappings?)

Another Switch specific: I saw it can handle CR2 for dual-iso or HDR. I shooted a normal timelapse in CR2s with MagicLantern. Can Switch handle/convert timelapse too?

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #502 on: June 01, 2020, 09:55:55 AM »
No time to explain dng specifics, sorry.

Regarding timelapse sequencing I usually convert my CR2 files with Ilia3101 raw2mlv tool. I wrapped it into an app here:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/raw2mlv/src/master/
Download:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/raw2mlv/downloads/raw2mlv.dmg

When converted into mlv it´s just a matter of importing to mlv app and off you go.

ilia3101

• Moderators
« Reply #503 on: June 01, 2020, 11:41:49 AM »
@adjork DNG or any kind of raw has no tonemapping of any kind, ever, at all. What are you talking about?

If you saw difference it was for other reasons, please explain more.

adrjork

« Reply #504 on: June 02, 2020, 01:05:13 AM »
Regarding timelapse sequencing I usually convert my CR2 files with Ilia3101 raw2mlv tool.
Fantastic, I didn't know that software. Thank you!

DNG or any kind of raw has no tonemapping of any kind, ever, at all. If you saw difference it was for other reasons, please explain more.
Thank you so much for your kind reply ilia3101. Yes, as I knew DNGs should not have tonemapping, but I saw a big visual difference importing 2 dng-folders into Davinci. These 2 dng-folders are two different conversions of the same MLV: one made with Switch (leaving all default) and the other one made with MLV-App with Cineon tonemapping and Alexa gamut applied. I imported into Davinci both the dng-folders, and in RAW Panel I set both with BMD Film in Color Space and Gamma. I expected to see the same visual result, instead I noticed a huge difference: the one converted with MLV-App (with Cineon tonemapping and Alexa gamut) has midtones strongly brigther and less saturated than the one converted with Switch (default). Why? Why does Davinci interpret these 2 dngs in different ways? And which is the right thing to do?
Thanks a lot.

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #505 on: June 02, 2020, 07:40:47 AM »
It makes no sense of what you are describing. Again, a screen record will probably reveal the answer. Also upload dng files, one from each program.

adrjork

« Reply #506 on: June 03, 2020, 06:08:17 AM »
Now the problem is clear (not really the solution): the case of the MLV converted into two DNGs (Switch-default vs MLVApp-cineon) which are seen differently by Davinci, does make sense because it happens only when the MLV is a somehow faulty dual-ISO.
HERE the screen record.
And HERE the two first-frames of the DNG-folders.
And finally HERE the original problematic dual-ISO MLV.
Thanks a lot.

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #507 on: June 03, 2020, 06:26:20 AM »
There you go. With proper info all is clear as crystal.

adrjork

« Reply #508 on: June 03, 2020, 06:38:15 AM »
With proper info all is clear as crystal.
Well... not “all” actually: now it's clear that the problem is the faulty dual-ISO MLV, but it's not clear (to me) how to fix it (or IF it's possible to fix it...) Anyway, this is not directly a Switch problem, so I'll try to migrate my question to the proper dual-ISO topic.
Thanks again :)

adrjork

« Reply #509 on: June 03, 2020, 11:40:49 AM »
Question about Switch vs MLVFS:
If I understand correctly, MLVFS should do on-the-fly what Switch does saving a new dng-folder. If that's true, the following two things should be identical: making an mlv-to-dng conversion via Switch, or copying&pasting a “virtual” dng-folder from the MLVFS' virtual-drive to another “real” place.
Is that right?

I'm asking this because I noticed that MLVFS maintains the complex naming structure I used for my MLVs (with dots and dashes), and Davinci seems handle it without problems.

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #510 on: June 03, 2020, 01:28:23 PM »
Everything doesn't work everywhere. Just fix your naming structure or get your hands dirty and fix my code part.
Adding punctuation to a folder is never a good idea in general imo.

adrjork

« Reply #511 on: June 04, 2020, 02:04:24 AM »
Of course Danne (and I'll never do it again in future).
But just to know: do you confirm that when you copy&paste a dng-folder from the MLVFS'virtual-drive to another “real” folder-place is exactly like doing a conversion with Switch (or MLVApp)?

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #512 on: June 04, 2020, 06:38:13 AM »
No. Why would it. Three different programs, with code variations.

adamk71

• New to the forum
« Reply #513 on: June 27, 2020, 12:44:42 PM »
Hi Danne, thanks for you work!

I cant get the new cr2hdr implementation to work - when i drop a CR2 onto Switch the notifications say the cr2hdr shortcut is running and complete but no output is created.

I've downloaded the latest Switch and installed dcraw and exiftool and I'm running Catalina 10.15.5. Do you know why this is? Are there any other dependancies i need?

Thanks  :)

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #514 on: June 27, 2020, 08:11:25 PM »
Checked the log file?
Please upload an example CR2 file as well.
All dependencies are included inside Switch. It might reveal what´s not working in the log file.

EDIT:
Wait. I changed cr2hdr to an older version before. Probably breaking 64bit. Will try and fix it.

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #515 on: June 27, 2020, 09:23:56 PM »
Ok, I couldn´t resist merging the latest from cr2hdr into the 64bit version fixed by @names_are_hard and it seems it is working. Needs to be tested:
Commit:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip-hop/commits/72d1ff90759372d95126f5739947cb5f4272fcfa

As I am on a very slow connection I suggest @adamk71 download the binary directly and replace cr2hdr inside Content folder inside Switch and test again:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/cr2hdr

If working it will confirm @names_are_hard changes will work for later 64bit os systems on mac.

@a1ex, sorry, ml source and Switch need updating again  :P

adamk71

• New to the forum
« Reply #516 on: June 29, 2020, 10:36:16 AM »
Just tried latest Switch and working perfectly, thank you!

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #517 on: June 29, 2020, 07:26:24 PM »
Great. I have a few more changes going in but will have to wait for a better connection.

DeafEyeJedi

• 5D3 | M1 | 7D | 70D | SL1 | M2 | 50D
« Reply #518 on: July 01, 2020, 10:32:37 PM »
Confirmed latest Switch works flawlessly in Mac OS 10.15.5 (Hackintosh) & 10.15.3 (MBP). Thanks for the update, @Danne!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109