MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whysodifficult

Hello, when i open in Lightroom cDNGs made by MLV App, they look really weird. I know there's an issue with AWB from different post here, and i did use AWB. But if that was just Kelvin, i could fix it it with just one knob in Lightroom. But i can't.

I understand MLV App and Lightroom can interpret RAW slightly differently. But it's way too different.

And how it's done by MLV App is very close to the reality, when cDNGs from MLV App opened in Lightroom look nothing like reality and it's not because the temperature is off.

I can make it look close to how it looks in MLV App, but in that case all my filters that i apply to photos look bad and nothing like they should look like. Which makes me think there's something wrong either with MLVApp or with magic lantern or with Lightroom. Or is it something else i'm missing?

In my understanding, i should be able to edit cDNGs like normal photos in Lightroom, and my filters should look the same as on photos. But they don't.

Anyone knows the issue? Maybe it was discussed somewhere? Thank you.

elenhil

This is just guesswork on my part, but LR needs to have proper EXIF metadata to interpret the RAW file. Take, for example, camera model. If the tag is missing, erroneous, or somehow clashes with LR's built-in camera profiles (which can happen if an image is not, in fact, a straight out-of-the-camera photo, but rather something converted or generated by a 3rd party app), LR can 'display' the file in a different way. I have this issue with DNGs generated from DualISO files by cr2hdr (I need to manually change the camera model tag from my 70D to, for example, 60D to make the resulting DNGs have correct 'brightness' in LR). Perhaps there is a similar LR camera profiles bug with your model. Do try changing the camera model EXIF tag to some other, similar camera.

Отправлено с моего SM-G960F через Tapatalk

Danne

masc

I tried updating our MLVApp AVFoundation export for Apple SDK, for macOS newer than 10.13. @Danne and other mac users, who are able to compile: could you please test that? If someone could test if the old options still work on older macOS, I also would be interested in test results. Thx!

The update brings ProRes Proxy, LT and HQ via Apple engine.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

My compiler for Mlv App is totally broken atm  :-[. Been messing too much with other compiling environments and all is a mess right now. Too bad.

gabriielangel

Quote from: masc on July 26, 2023, 08:05:11 PM
I tried updating our MLVApp AVFoundation export for Apple SDK, for macOS newer than 10.13. @Danne and other mac users, who are able to compile: could you please test that? If someone could test if the old options still work on older macOS, I also would be interested in test results. Thx!

The update brings ProRes Proxy, LT and HQ via Apple engine.

If someone can provide a compiled Macos 10.13+ version, I can test (when I compile myself, I get errors and the resulting version is too slow (No MP support).
AVFoundation is the option to choose to get an output file with the proper gamma and accurate color translation. So your update should be very interesting!

masc

Hm... my first question would have been: does it compile at all on other machines... can test on my M1 only atm.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

vastunghia

@masc, I should be able to compile on my 2019 Intel iMac running Ventura. Would this help? If so, will try that as soon as I can.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

masc

All tests are welcome. So far I had luck with new AVFoundation on Apple Silicon and Intel Mac (both on BigSur). Old version seems to compile at least, but here I did no other test.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Milk and Coffee

Can MLV App apply lossless compression to already exported cDNGs/Can I reopen a DNG sequence and apply lossless compression? Would this work for other camera models like the Sigma FP? Been looking into SlimRAW www.slimraw.com, but realized maybe MLV App can already do this?

Thanks all!
Canon 5D Mark II, Mac/OSX

masc

Quote from: Milk and Coffee on August 16, 2023, 08:40:50 PM
Can MLV App apply lossless compression to already exported cDNGs/Can I reopen a DNG sequence and apply lossless compression? Would this work for other camera models like the Sigma FP? Been looking into SlimRAW www.slimraw.com, but realized maybe MLV App can already do this?

Thanks all!
Yes, that should all work. Note: just supported metadata will survive... (not many fields).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Milk and Coffee

Quote from: masc on August 16, 2023, 08:55:17 PM
Yes, that should all work. Note: just supported metadata will survive... (not many fields).

Great! Any tools/apps to view/edit metadata used on current DNG's? Adobe Bridge?

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Milk and Coffee

masc, where can I find a list of MLV App's supported metadata fields when exporting lossless cDNG?

masc

There is no list, but find kind of a list in this source function.
https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/blob/master/src/dng/dng.c#L454

Line 606 and following should be interesting.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Milk and Coffee

Thank you! What's the process to re-run ding's through MLV App? I cannot seem to import them. 🙏

masc

Quote from: Milk and Coffee on August 23, 2023, 08:21:45 AM
Thank you! What's the process to re-run ding's through MLV App? I cannot seem to import them. 🙏
"Import" is not done by MLVApp. raw2mlv converts DNG to MLV, while MLVApp gives a GUI over raw2mlv. Then MLVApp can reexport DNG from MLV.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

essbe

Having a problem right now with exporting cinema dng:s (uncompressed, lossless and fast pass) from the mlvapp. It only exports the first frame, then it stops with the message "Disk full." and then "Disk full. Export aborted.". I have 65gb free on my computer and 250gb on my external disk where the mlv files are. I can export frame by frame to dng ok. All other formats (tiff, h265 etc) are exporting as normal. Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

essbe

essbe

The DNG-export works perfectly when building from source on Ubuntu 22.04, so my problem is solved by that really. The automatic import of focus pixel maps also works for all modes on the EOS M with that build, something that did not work for me at all for the "anamorphic" modes with the latest appimage. These things considered, would a new appimage for linux be possible?

For me, the 1x3 dng images are not stretched after export. Is that a known fact/problem?

masc

Nice to hear your build works.

Focus pixel map installation can't work for appImages, because those images are readonly. See in-app-help or wiki:
https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/wiki#fix-focus-dots

Autostretching for exported DNG should work. I guess you tested with Davinci Resolve, which should be one of a few (or the one and only) application not reading the stretch factors from DNG files.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

essbe

Ok, good to know. I did try to install the focus pixel maps manually in the appimage build, but only got them to work with the 1x1 presets. Probably something I did wrong, but this build solves it anyhow. For the dng:s I did actually try a program called rawstudio (it is very fast, so processing a large quantity of dng:s for video is actually doable), but also rawtherapee just to see what it looked like, and neither one had the image stretched. But as they are photo editors, I guess not reading the stretch (if the mlvapp puts such information in the file) is what to expect.

scriptmonkey

MLVAPP does not have a correction of the barrel/pincushion distortion. But ffmpeg, used for export, does have high quality filters like v360 which do just that. Adding custom parameters to an export profile in MLVAPP seems to be all that is needed for this and a number of other corrections.

I wonder if it can be done? Directly in MLVAPP or by substituting the ffmpeg executable by a wrapper? I scale down by two when exporting from MLVAPP but evidently a geometric correction like that would be best done on the original, full resolution video.