crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hindra

I was able to replicate  the 19 FPS bug in the menu I reported a while baclk. If I forget to turn FPS Override off, turn on Crop Mode module for UHD recording, enter canon menu then go back into ML menu, when I turn off FPS Override it defaults back to 19 FPS. If FPS Override is off when I turn on Crop Mode, everything is fine.

SL1 100D.100A - 5D - 7D2 - 5D3 1.2.3

hindra

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on April 22, 2017, 10:20:08 PM
This is incredible! Soooo impressed!

Also I just replaced my test with a much better one

https://vimeo.com/214307580
This means Either Canons 5Div 4K is actually 3K
or
That we get to call 5D3 ML 3K  ... 4K
4 Clips
2 are 5div 1/100 f11 ISO 400 Sigma Art 35mm 4k
2 are 5Diii 1/50 f11 ISO 400 Sigma Art 35mm 3k  ML
14bit lossless using 4-21-2017 4K Crop Rec build
(I underexposed the 5Div because I was clipping highlights at 1/50 shutter)
Both rendered to Cineform UHD and both were precisely focussed on the crosshatch on the color chart.
Can you tell which is which.
Download and zoom in. It's a UHD Cineform AVI
5Diii was quickly graded to match Canon's neutral picture style of the 5div

1 and 3 are much sharper when viewed at 200%
SL1 100D.100A - 5D - 7D2 - 5D3 1.2.3

a1ex

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on April 22, 2017, 10:54:27 PM
Sorry to be a party pooper but can anyone else confirm that this is reproducible (it seems to be on my end w build 2017-04-22 for 5D3.123) if one were to record in 3504x1400 resolution (and only in that resolution which is 2.50:1)?

Narrowed down and solved; excellent catch @DeafEyeJedi!

That's how a proper bug report looks like - it contains all the details to allow others to reproduce it. This bug was quite hard to trigger, given all those reports with no corrupted frames.

Also got 4096x3072 working at 12 and 12.5 FPS (24/25 in Canon menu) and did some more fixes for very large resolutions. Even if you only get a few frames, I still find these modes useful with half-shutter trigger and pre-recording (e.g. for taking photos of really unpredictable subjects).

dfort

Quote from: a1ex on April 22, 2017, 08:51:49 PM
@dfort: yes, I've looked into it because of your report, but it was my explicit request to try the bad commit, not a regular user trying it for e.g. timelapse or whatever. Also, this branch has a lot of stuff that can be broken into smaller branches and back-ported to all other models, in the main builds (already started with this PR).

Oops, sorry. I bit off more than I could chew when I came across that bug and it was just easier for me to switch to an earlier (smaller) branch. I'd like to get lossless compression working on other cameras because that seems doable while 4k on an EOSM is pie in the sky. Though I wouldn't rule it out considering how quickly ML development has been progressing lately.

lanhl

Thanks for the wonderful work. I Got some problem when update to the new buuld, don't know how to fix it.

My camera is 5D3, 1.2.3

I have installed the Apr-04 build before, it works, and then update to the newest Apr-23 build, then I got this scene on top.

I tried to Uninstall, and format CF card, Install again, disable all modules, but got the same scene. then I tried degrade to the earlier build, the same, But the Apr-04 and Apr-06 build works fine.

Can any body know how to fix this? Thanks a lot.

jankrueck

sorry for beeing an asshole. But did you read the screenshot or any page of this tread, yet?  :D

bazidl

I'm getting frame and block size mismatch errors. I saw a few other people were getting various versions of this error as well but no responses with a possible solution. I know it's related to the 14 bit - lossless format as I don't get the message when I turn lossless off.

pc_bel

Testing April 23th build 5D3 113.
When I change to a 192050p3x3 mode with fps override on, and try to switch fps override to off, camera freezes and I get Error80. Need to pull battery.

goldenchild9to5

@hjfilmspeed Check it out Zoomed in to 200% & 400% Scenes 1 & 3 is a tiny tiny bit sharper than Scenes 2 & 4.  But here is the thing the tree behind the color checker seem a bit sharper in Scenes 2 & 4. 

ilia3101

@lanhl Follow what it says on the screen. There was a dangerous bug in April 04 build so DON'T go back to it, and the new ones are detecting if that bug has affected your camera. It's Magic Lantern looking out for you ;)

Ali Oliya

Hi,

I used mlv_dump in mac for creating dngs. but unable to open them in After Effects CC 2017. Photoshop opens files with no problem. but AE gives me this error:  "after effects error: the file formay module not parse that file. (45::35)"

DeafEyeJedi

@Ali Oliya - is the first DNG in your folder blank or corrupted in any way?

If so, try deleting it and try again which should open up fine in AE. Have had this happened to me in the past.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Quentin

I was away for some time. Trying latest build.
Way much solid!
The exclusions of many combinations makes things more targeted.
Thank you for the hard work and constructive development

Ali Oliya

@DeafEyeJedi  yes it was corrupted. i deleted it. still doesn't open. but the error message changed to: After Effects error: Photoshop file format error (-1). (45 :: 35)

DeafEyeJedi

Hmm would you mind using @Danne's latest cr2hdr.app to spit out original samples (#12 under mlv_dump menu) and upload the zip file for us to check out?

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on April 23, 2017, 08:24:27 PM
@hjfilmspeed Check it out Zoomed in to 200% & 400% Scenes 1 & 3 is a tiny tiny bit sharper than Scenes 2 & 4.  But here is the thing the tree behind the color checker seem a bit sharper in Scenes 2 & 4. 
1 and 3 are mark iii
Hmmm Ill double check my lens details to see if f-stop was different. It could be possible that focal planes where not exact. I focused both on the crosshatch with autofocus. but in any event at 400% we should be seeing a HUGE difference in sharpness here. 5dIv has 1000 more pixels. Any way I don't want to go more off topic then I have.

pc_bel

Any dev think if there is any possibility to get some signal through hdmi in the new full res live view mode?... just for framing and focussing, don't mind if res is low (VGA)...

Ali Oliya

@DeafEyeJedi - i used cr2hdr app from Danne. But it doesnt let me open the MLV file at all! .mlv file is grayed out....(same as rawmagic)

ps. i used crop rec 3k-4k 14 April expermiment build btw. so far the only software that is able to open the .mlv files from this build is MLV_Dump (for mac). (raw2cdng opens but creates pink dngs!)

Danne

Greyed out? Could you share a screenrecording or a screenshot? Maybe the LOG.txt file?
Maybe post about it here.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15108.100

Ali Oliya

@Danne - yes, i can not choose the file. it can't be selected:

Danne

You donĀ“t choose files you choose the folder containing files. If you press choose in this folder a menu will pop up and you take it from there.

Ali Oliya

@Danne - Thank you! Sorry, it was the 1st time using this app! done. fixed. now i can open .dngs in AE without problem.

@DeafEyeJedi Thanks for your help

Quentin

On 12 April 2017 I took several shots.
I was recording with that days latest build, 1920x800 60FPS 14bit lossless with 5dmk3.
On some of the shots I took, on the top of the frame there is a horizontal sharp edge that flickers, about 100 pixels away from top

Here is a link
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-d8ARtc7xwWT3BwbkdQYjdaLUE

(I am not aware if this is fixed already)

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: a1ex
Narrowed down and solved; excellent catch @DeafEyeJedi!

That's how a proper bug report looks like - it contains all the details to allow others to reproduce it. This bug was quite hard to trigger, given all those reports with no corrupted frames.

Great to hear. Thanks for the acknowledgement!

Quote from: a1ex
Also got 4096x3072 working at 12 and 12.5 FPS (24/25 in Canon menu) and did some more fixes for very large resolutions. Even if you only get a few frames, I still find these modes useful with half-shutter trigger and pre-recording (e.g. for taking photos of really unpredictable subjects).

Oh absolutely this will be useful. Especially for birding, sports photography & whatnot. This is incredible and should be a bit more forgiving than Canon's stock full burst mode which is only 6 frames per sec for 5D3.  :P

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on April 24, 2017, 11:34:55 AM
1 and 3 are mark iii
Hmmm Ill double check my lens details to see if f-stop was different. It could be possible that focal planes where not exact. I focused both on the crosshatch with autofocus. but in any event at 400% we should be seeing a HUGE difference in sharpness here. 5dIv has 1000 more pixels. Any way I don't want to go more off topic then I have.

For those who havant seen them up-close w comparisons yet in between 200% & 400% (Thanks @hjfilmspeed for sharing them!):

#1) 5D3 RAW 3K 1.85:1 (upscaled to 4K in post)

#2) 5D4 MJPEG 4K

#3) 5D3 RAW 3K 1.85:1 (upscaled to 4K in post)

#4) 5D4 MJPEG 4K

hjfilmspeed

@DeafEyeJedi the 5diii was actually 3k 3072 1.85:1 but technically upscaled at export.