crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks @hjfilmspeed -- fixed! (It's even more flabbergasting to know that the 5D3 still looks sharper even when upscaled to 4K)  :o
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on April 24, 2017, 08:12:14 PM
Thanks @hjfilmspeed -- fixed! (It's even more flabbergasting to know that the 5D3 still looks sharper even when upscaled to 4K)  :o

DeafEyeJedi Thank you for posting those crops!
Actually, you might as well call the the 5DIII 3K - 4K. Why not canon apparently seems to think it is okay. I thought to myself, maybe its the lens.. then I was like no way, the Sigma Art prime is design to resolve way high resolution.
It could be the 422 vs the .... 444 or what ever MLV 14Bit lossless is.
Regardless, this build gets better every time. Can't wait to see what the future holds!

Oh I meant to ask this, should we be using 123 vs 113 for 5d3? It was my understanding that 113 was fine unless you need hdmi features and AF @ f8. Is this still true?
Or should we be testing 123?

giarcpnw

Hey all, how are you guys addressing the Vertical Lines or other pixel issues with these new builds? I'm on OSX. Martin Hering had created a great mlv to cng converter app called Footage that addressed them but he seems to be letting it time bomb in the 15th of May to pursue a revenue generating path.  So now we're back to square one.

MLVDump does not fix them.  Is there another app that i'm not aware of that does?

Thanks,

Craig

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on April 24, 2017, 08:31:48 PM
...Oh I meant to ask this, should we be using 123 vs 113 for 5d3? It was my understanding that 113 was fine unless you need hdmi features and AF @ f8. Is this still true?
Or should we be testing 123?
AFAIK 113/123 should be identical ever since @a1ex merged these 'two firmwares under one branch' though correct me if I'm wrong since this is experimental.

Quote from: giarcpnw on April 24, 2017, 08:33:59 PM
...he seems to be letting it time bomb in the 15th of May to pursue a revenue generating path.  So now we're back to square one.

That's some hogshit, eh?

MLVDump does not fix them.  Is there another app that i'm not aware of that does?

Care to share some original short samples @giarcpnw? (use @Danne's cr2hdr.app if you haven't already)

hjfilmspeed

@DeafEyeJedi thank you!!!

Also has anyone tried these settings? 4/23/2017 build
Crop Rec with 5x zoom 3.5k  enabled
And 12bit lossless with 3072 2.35:1 ?
It's very stable to me! Continuous with a good card!
And you can hit the DOF preview button or half shutter to zoom in with real time to focus!
I saw this mentioned but didn't try it yet. This is awesome!
I feel like real time framing preview of 3k is so close now!
(Coding wise it's probably not)

giarcpnw

Care to share some original short samples @giarcpnw? (use @Danne's cr2hdr.app if you haven't already)

cr2hdr didn't seem to fix when i tried last week. unless it's been upgraded since.

The are DNGs from MLVdump, you can see the banding/lines in the mids. They get worse once you adjust exposure and sharpness. These were shot 14bit lossless with the April 10th build I believe. My understanding is this is inherent in the raw data and the converters are coded to adjust for it. I know there was an early post in this thread that said most of the apps or command line converters had not been adjusted to address this with the new 14bit 4k build's mlvs. Just wondering if they had yet or I missed one. Martin added it to his at my request last week, but...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a4158kqm85rvime/AADYDd6H8PyjYyGE1fXqKpeza?dl=0

Thanks,

C

DeafEyeJedi

Actually could you please just use cr2hdr.app (press 'm' to get in mlv_dump menu then press '12' to start sample processing). Need the originals.

Be sure to use a temporary Folder and include MLV inside since the app can only process from within Folders and not directly on the MLV file itself.

Also try to use the latest experimental builds whenever possible since it's always evolving for greatness.

giarcpnw

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on April 24, 2017, 09:12:03 PM
Actually could you please just use cr2hdr.app (press 'm' to get in mlv_dump menu then press '12' to start sample processing). Need the originals.

Be sure to use a temporary Folder and include MLV inside since the app can only process from within Folders and not directly on the MLV file itself.

Also try to use the latest experimental builds whenever possible since it's always evolving for greatness.

Same folder: you'll see the zip pack.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a4158kqm85rvime/AADYDd6H8PyjYyGE1fXqKpeza?dl=0

I have the newest April 23rd build. I just haven't shot any new footage since the April 19th. It was there in the 19th too. These are the MLVs I have with me at the moment.

Thanks,

C

a1ex

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on April 24, 2017, 08:31:48 PM
Oh I meant to ask this, should we be using 123 vs 113 for 5d3? It was my understanding that 113 was fine unless you need hdmi features and AF @ f8. Is this still true?

Correct.

I'm currently using 1.2.3, but that's because it has more quirks (usually, if something works on 1.2.3, it's likely OK on 1.1.3, but in the other direction, there are a lot of exceptions...)

The notes from 1.1.3 thread are still valid.

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on April 24, 2017, 08:44:32 PM
AFAIK 113/123 should be identical ever since @a1ex merged these 'two firmwares under one branch' though

That means both ML versions are compiled from the same codebase (but each one is still tweaked to account for Canon firmware quirks - just like all other ML ports).

MLVDump does not fix them [vertical lines].  Is there another app that i'm not aware of that does?

I've explained here what needs to be done for other converters (including mlv_dump). I'm not really familiar with compressed formats, and there are people in the ML community who can do this faster than me (hint, hint).

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on April 24, 2017, 09:02:52 PM
Also has anyone tried these settings? 4/23/2017 build
Crop Rec with 5x zoom 3.5k  enabled
And 12bit lossless with 3072 2.35:1 ?

Confirmed after recording both takes for over 9 minutes each now @ ISO 3200 in 24p. Green icon all the way. Though it felt a bit toasty @ 53-54C towards the end, ha! :P

giarcpnw

QuoteI've explained here what needs to be done for other converters (including mlv_dump). I'm not really familiar with compressed formats, and there are people in the ML community who can do this faster than me (hint, hint).

If only i had studied computer science in college instead of theater, I might be able to fix this myself. Instead, I'll have to recite shakespeare to myself while I wait for someone else with programming knowledge.

C

goldenchild9to5

@hjfilmspeed 5D III is really a force to be reckon with, can't wait for liveview to have a smooth feed  @DeafEyeJedi great screen capture..

csound

Can someone please point me to information on procedure to fix null pointer bug from April 4 build. Screen alert on camera indicates to prepare logs and go to freenode on IRC - what happens from there? Sorry, unfamiliar with all this.

goldenchild9to5

Just tried the new Davinci Resolve 14 Beta with 5D III 3K footage man this new update is smooth.  I've noticed as well that It might be processing dng's better, seems to resolve images detail a lot better.  If anybody else used it let me know if you are experiencing the same thing.   

goldenchild9to5

Oedipax

Quote from: goldenchild9to5Just tried the new Davinci Resolve 14 Beta with 5D III 3K footage man this new update is smooth.  I've noticed as well that It might be processing dng's better, seems to resolve images detail a lot better.  If anybody else used it let me know if you are experiencing the same thing.   
Same experience here - realtime playback on my 3k 2.39:1 14bit CDNG files, up to a few nodes. Extremely pleased with the new Resolve so far.

goldenchild9to5

@Oedipax I'm glad that you are getting the same results so I'm not the only one.  @a1ex new build is awesome thank you will be testing more tonight.

pc_bel

QuoteQuote from: a1ex

Also got 4096x3072 working at 12 and 12.5 FPS (24/25 in Canon menu) and did some more fixes for very large resolutions. Even if you only get a few frames, I still find these modes useful with half-shutter trigger and pre-recording (e.g. for taking photos of really unpredictable subjects).

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi
Oh absolutely this will be useful. Especially for birding, sports photography & whatnot. This is incredible and should be a bit more forgiving than Canon's stock full burst mode which is only 6 frames per sec for 5D3.  :P

A dumb question maybe... but... someone are getting realtime preview in this mode? How can you focus and framing for sports and birds?... I think I'm missing something...

a1ex

Quote from: pc_bel on April 25, 2017, 11:05:13 AM
A dumb question maybe... but... someone are getting realtime preview in this mode? How can you focus and framing for sports and birds?... I think I'm missing something...

Want to help? Grab ADTG_GUI and QEMU and start investigating!

All you need to do is to understand how Canon configures the image processing path for LiveView. Here's a starting point.

pc_bel

I'm taking a look to the Starting Point... and I don't know what to do... I have no knoweledge in any coding languaje. For me is like cheneese  :( :-[ I'm sorry but if I can do something more just let me know.

a1ex

The difficult part is simply understanding what Canon code does (and what we have to change to fix the preview).

Those numbers from the logs and adtg_gui are like Chinese to all of us; the trick is to fiddle with them until a tiny part of them starts to make some sort of sense. That's how we figured out how to reconfigure the sensor to 4K in the first place ;)

Some useful tricks: comparing all those numbers in different video modes (adtg_gui has a simple register diff tool), recognizing values that could look like resolutions, logging the I/O activity in QEMU, or analyzing the still photo mode first (it's simpler).

And, of course, don't give up after reading a single post. Make yourself comfortable with what's happening in the Reverse Engineering area. Some relevant threads are linked in the first post; make sure you can follow them.

Of course, you will need some basic programming knowledge.

Bottom line: the real-time preview is not implemented because... I have little or no idea about how Canon configures the image processing path.

motionSOUL

Sorry don't be pissed at me, but what is the best solution to convert 14 bits lossless .mlv files?
I've red we can use cr2hdr.app_4K, but i don't seem to find a link to it, only the cr2hdr.app version. Is this application compatible with all the .mlv flavours?
Is there better way to do so? I've always used MLVMystic which is simple and elegant to use...

Thanks,

S/.

pc_bel

@A1lex
Thank you very much for the explanation!!!... I feel really dumb but I guess not everyone will know about everything. Coding is a unknown world for me. The most obvious things for you are absolutely unknown for me. :-[
I would like to do more than only download the builds, but outside testing that builds I don't know what can I do...

beauchampy

Quote from: motionSOUL on April 25, 2017, 02:44:35 PM
Sorry don't be pissed at me, but what is the best solution to convert 14 bits lossless .mlv files?
I've red we can use cr2hdr.app_4K, but i don't seem to find a link to it, only the cr2hdr.app version. Is this application compatible with all the .mlv flavours?
Is there better way to do so? I've always used MLVMystic which is simple and elegant to use...

Thanks,

S/.

cr2hdr has been updated, so no need for the '4k' version anymore. Just grab the latest from here - https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/cr2hdr/downloads/