Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canoncannon

nikfreak

Quote from: canoncannon on March 01, 2016, 04:16:54 AM
Getting no liveview might be a problem. The stock firmware is messed up somehow (prior to trying ML) and most buttons don't work in photo and movie mode so I'm trying to install ML so that I can use the camera.....

ML won't heal any camera that was broken before installing ML. Better send it in to Canon for repair or sell it as it is and buy another one.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

guiser

Can someone explain to what can I do to use ML if I have the 100D.100C version??  :-[ 

Thanks a lot in advance!!!
100D.100C!?!? :(

Walter Schulz

canoncannon

Quote from: nikfreak on March 01, 2016, 09:28:45 AM
ML won't heal any camera that was broken before installing ML. Better send it in to Canon for repair or sell it as it is and buy another one.

So ML runs on top of the Canon firmware, meaning if it is broken at a lower level it will be broken at a higher level?

Possible to reflash stock firmware?

a1ex said you might be able to make me a test build to see what's in my startup log so I'll PM you about that.

CinemaJohn

Thanks so much for this firmware hack!

I've been running this hack on the SL1 (100D) for two months now.

I put together two short videos showing the RAW video quality:

Here is my report on some of the features in the V1.0.0 (Alpha1-a):

1. Included Modules
---Raw_rec: OK

Note:
  • RAW record is sometimes unstable. A warm up catch is required to make sure the SD card is ready to buffer the RAW video.
    Depending on the settings you choose, you can average 8 seconds of RAW footage recorded onto the SD card at ~1280x720.

• Crashes: after a many crashes during the RAW video recording process, I found out that you have to let the camera be until the red blinking light stops - signifying that the information is done recording to the card. If you try and change the setting or do anything in the Canon UI, your camera will most likely freeze and the video mode, showing and ERROR in the view finder. The only way to get out of the ERROR warning is to remove the battery from the bottom of the Canon SL1 100D

• Cropping: Play with this. Depending on the RAW resolution you choose, the Cropping / Aspect Recording Ratio
    can greatly influence the duration of your recording. Choosing a Narrow Aspect ratio is definitely better. The lower you go results in a longer recording. For example, an aspect ratio of 5:1 will enable the camera to process less information -thus recording more usable frames- than say an aspect ratio of 2:1

---Bitrate Override: OK
Note:

• Higher Bitrate:The highest bit rate is achievable when the camera's microphone is Disabled. Once the camera doesn't have to worry about audio, Magic Lantern can boost the Bit Rate to well over Canon's default. For best results, 1080p at 24 fps is ideal for using 3x bit rate boost
  • Example of 3x more: In this video, I was able to achieve a recording Bit Rate of up to ~75 Mbps and an average of ~47: https://youtu.be/KdXdOGSsNFs

2 Overlays
---Zebras: OK
---Focus Peak: OK

3.Shoot
---Bracketing: OK
---ML ISO: OK

I filmed an ISO test using the ML ISO feature here: https://youtu.be/vpzYNhst4M4
---FPS override: Not Working
Note:

• Under-Cranking is possible. I have not been able to Over-Cranking at 1080p any higher than the default FPS

4.Other problems:

• Crashes when using the digital zoom during Recording/End Recording. Sometimes the camera would freeze/lockup when using the zoom in and out UI buttons on the camera. My best guess is this is a hardware issue due to the fact that during recording no buttons that interfere with the memory of the camera should be pressed.

Hope this helps and you find the videos I made useful for reference on how the Hack is holding up. My last thought is this is pretty stable, and I thank those who are coding this hack greatly! I can't wait till the new version is released.[/list]

nikfreak

Anyone with a 100D.100B reading this and having time?
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

onelitllejoint

Hi Nikfreak. I use you modification in version 100B and help you whit pleasure:).
100D / 100B

mgncapala

I don't know how did you make a raw video? I tried with SanDisk Ultra with 16GB that can write up to 80mb/s and other is Lexar Pro 1000x with 128GB that can write up to 150 mb/s. In ML benchmark rated 40 mb/s, why? Thanks a lot...

Walter Schulz

SD-card interface on 100D is limited to about 41 MByte/s in write mode and there is nothing you can do about it.

chilimac02

I can get my 100d to record 720p raw video just about non-stop with my sandisk extreme pro memory card. My problem is that I don't understand how to use that video because of the focus pixel issue. I cannot understand a workflow to get that stuff to look right in adobe CC
Rebel SL1/100D... 40mm f/2.8 STM, 18-55mm f/3.5 IS STM, Tamron 70-300mm Di VC USD, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art

DeafEyeJedi

@chilimac02 ... Perhaps you haven't tried either MLP or MLVFS yet?

If you had done so then you probably wouldn't have noticed or heard of those pesky Focus Pixels or even their existence according to @dfort's infamous fabulous script! [emoji6]

*EDIT* Here's the long awaited Dual ISO SL1 footage that I shot last year on the way up to the Bay Area in San Francisco, US and how about them dots be gone?

http://vimeo.com/159132658

Thanks to @nikfreak & crew for yet another marvelous toy that can actually deliver BIG time for such a tiny beast!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

annascanon

Hi,

I am new to the magic lantern thing, and really happy there is a version for the 100D now!
Can someone please explain why the aperture can not be controlled? thanks!

Anna

Head_Pres

Guys, I am super sorry, and i have been running ML on my SL1 for a few months, and now i see people are reporting that they are able to use Raw video on SL1? no matter what I do, i cannot see RAW video option on my SL1

do i need to dl some new V1.0.0? i believe i am running the 100.B firmware.... what do i do to get the RAW video on my SL1?
CinemaJohn please help, i see you did it.

tnx in advance

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Head_Pres on March 17, 2016, 04:04:04 PM
and now i see people are reporting that they are able to use Raw video on SL1? no matter what I do, i cannot see RAW video option on my SL1

It was there from the very beginning ... Visit Modules screen/tab, activate MLV_REC.mo or RAW_REC.mo, restart cam.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: annascanon on March 17, 2016, 09:07:11 AM
Hi,

I am new to the magic lantern thing, and really happy there is a version for the 100D now!
Can someone please explain why the aperture can not be controlled? thanks!

Anna

If I understood you correctly - Have you tried pressing Av button and hold it down while scrolling the shutter button?

CinemaJohn

The Canon SL1 handles RAW video excellently! 8)

I decided to compare RAW to H.264 on my Canon SL1 (the standard dslr video format)

You can check it out here:
Keep in mind that I was only able to max out 8 seconds of 720p footage.[/size]

In my opinion, RAW is far cleaner and clearer than H.264. The down fall to RAW is you can not really shoot a movie with it. Being only 8 seconds at HD Raw, you can do very little. Using H.264, I was able to achieve up to ~75 Mbps to my SD card do to ML's Bite Rate ramping. I love that feature. Works nearly perfectly if shot at 24fps and lower than 200 ISO

Has anyone used a higher than 45Mbps SD card shooting RAW video and notice getting more than 8secs at 720p? (crop 2.39:1)

annascanon

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on March 18, 2016, 09:34:07 AM
If I understood you correctly - Have you tried pressing Av button and hold it down while scrolling the shutter button?

Hey thanks for replying.
In the live view it just says F/0.0, and in the menu shoot settings it tells me the aperture cannot be controlled and it is automatic.

Also, can i turn the live view off? I read about the photo mode, but there is no way I can find that. When I click the liveview button (to turn it off) it takes a photo  :D

In the focus menu list there is only DOF available, is that right? I was hoping to use in focus trigger, but maybe that is not available on the 100D.

Questions questions, thanks for all the answers!  ;D

Walter Schulz

F/0.0 is displayed if there is no communication between lens and camera. If you're using a lens without electronic interface this is default by design. If you are using a lens designed to communicate with the cam this is an error. You may try to cleanup contact pins on both sides with a microfiber cloth and retest.

Triggering in LV: Reset ML to defaults in Prefs tab -> Config files

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: CinemaJohn on March 18, 2016, 10:57:00 PM
Has anyone used a higher than 45Mbps SD card shooting RAW video and notice getting more than 8secs at 720p? (crop 2.39:1)

I just ran this test with KomputerBay 128GB SDXC Class 10 600x in 1280x720p MLV @ 16x9, 2.20:1, 2.35:1 & 2.39:1 just for shits and giggles.

• 24p @ 16x9 (exFAT, Card Warm-up, GD on) = Avg. of 21 seconds or so.
• 24p @ 2.20:1 (exFAT, Card Warm-up, GD on) = Continuous recordings.
• 24p @ 2.35:1 (exFAT, Card Warm-up, GD on) = Continuous recordings.
• 24p @ 2.39:1 (exFAT, Card Warm-up, GD on) = Continuous recordings.

Not too shabby for such a tiny beast, huh?  8)

CinemaJohn

The RAW video workflow on the Magic Lanter hack of the SL1 has raised some questions "how to remove focus pixels in the RAW footage."

As requested...

Here's a video I just created - sharing how I was able to remove the Focus Pixels (green, purple, and black pixels).
https://youtu.be/RKUNKQcnEio

Share this link if you thought it was helpful and subscribe to my channel for more exciting dslr cinematography to come.

chilimac02

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on March 16, 2016, 05:54:50 AM
@chilimac02 ... Perhaps you haven't tried either MLP or MLVFS yet?

If you had done so then you probably wouldn't have noticed or heard of those pesky Focus Pixels or even their existence according to @dfort's infamous fabulous script! [emoji6]

As it turns out my problem was my workflow. I exported video from mlvfs then pulled it into adobe premiere. There it imported video with weird artifacts. I solved the problem by importing the footage into after effects.... For some reason that solved it....
Rebel SL1/100D... 40mm f/2.8 STM, 18-55mm f/3.5 IS STM, Tamron 70-300mm Di VC USD, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art

mcdonaldm03

hi there i have tried installing ml on my 100D canon camera it wont work i have extracted and tried both downloads 100A and 100B any help please

Walter Schulz

See reply #269
@nikfreak: Would you mind updating first post in this regard?