Author Topic: Canon 70D  (Read 1553749 times)

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
Re: Canon 70D
« Reply #3225 on: September 26, 2018, 09:21:09 AM »
Had it happen very often, while moving around the focus box etc, suddenly whitebhlance and iso settings pop up.

That does sound like a bug; it should be triggered only by a well-defined shortcut key (the one displayed in the Help tab, not by random button presses).

6D is also affected?

Levas

• 6d - Nightly build user
« Reply #3226 on: September 26, 2018, 10:58:42 AM »
Oh, ok. To be more precise: Had it happen very often, in the past, not with recent builds, probably over a year ago or something.
Now I'm looking in the help menu I see it's triggered, on the 6d at least, by the focus points selection button.
Didn't know that  ???
Maybe it was another button in earlier builds, more then a year ago or something ?

I would expect to see the button, with which the 'Arrow/SET shortcuts' could be triggered, to be displayed somewhere in the same setting menu.
So in the Prefs tab, within the Arrow/SET shortcuts menu, maybe add a line of tekst in the bottom that it is triggered by using focus point selection key?
But it's probably a different key by each camera.

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #3227 on: September 26, 2018, 06:05:35 PM »
It is in that menu, in the help text. The button was not changed in the last few years.

From the QEMU experiments, I remember Canon's MPU sending the "unpress zoom" button event with every GUI mode change (i.e. the button currently configured on 6D). That should explain why it triggered randomly.

Will disable this feature on both cameras.

Audionut

• Global Moderator
  • Blunt and to the point
« Reply #3228 on: September 27, 2018, 04:54:20 AM »
I can recall some weird behavior on 6D some time ago.
I'm currently sitting on a build from 30/07 (iso_research).

None of the arrow/SET shortcuts options are having any effect here in either liveview modes.
The arrow keys only move the focus box, regardless of arrow/SET settings.

In photo live view, SET key function in canon settings has an effect. 
SET key set in canon to off, focus box resets to center on set key press.
SET key set to ISO in canon settings, focus box does not reset to center, some other display overrides quickly, then sits in the background as long as the set key is pressed.

In movie live view, canon setting has no effect.  Focus box always resets to center on set key press.

edit:  I tried to confirm the correct behavior using that nifty display you created for the homepage, but the arrow keys do nothing in either live view mode there.  :D

stan101

• New to the forum
« Reply #3229 on: October 07, 2018, 05:02:34 AM »
About this so called bug, it's not a bug, it's a setting.
Had it happen very often, while moving around the focus box etc, suddenly whitebhlance and iso settings pop up.
These are probably the settings you're looking for: Prefs tab in ML menu ->Arrow/SET shortcuts, ISO/Kelvin and use SET button are on by default.

Your screen shot is different to mine. On mine the orange text says "This feature only works in movie mode" and besides, it was turned off.

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #3230 on: October 07, 2018, 06:40:50 AM »
I'm trying to revive a 70D whose battery was removed in the middle of a firmware update; need to reflash the ROM for that.

As I've never performed this procedure on 70D, I'd like to experiment on a defective camera first, to avoid damaging the good camera by mistake.

If anyone has a 70D that powers on, but it's otherwise unusable and it's not going to be repaired, I'd like to try the reflashing routine on that camera first.