Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Can't test it. As yourself I'm a still shooter. I'm experimenting with video on a very low level and therefore had no need for such a big card.
And my 7D is resting at home.

Ciao
Walter

arrinkiiii

My card is 8GB  (yes, is what i still use for video)  Maybe Ted can try this.

Walter Schulz

Makes one think about funding a big and very fast card for a1ex ...

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 17, 2014, 03:28:28 PM
Makes one think about funding a big and very fast card for a1ex ...

Yes, good idea. If he agree we can make this easily and fast =))

Walter Schulz

a1ex, give it a nod! ;-)

BOT:
Installation procedure works now. I tried several times.
During first test 7D_203.FIR went missing from the card but I was unable to reproduce this error.

As said I couldn't test with 64 GB.

Ciao
Walter

szigiszmund

I tried new installation method on a 64 gb card from Komputerbay, and everything went smoothly.

ted ramasola

Quote from: a1ex on March 17, 2014, 12:08:27 PM
BTW, does the FIR work with 64GB cards or larger?

On 5D3 I had to rename the FIR to 8.3 characters (not shorter); is this renaming also needed on 7D?

Tested to remove bootflag and install fir from mar 17 ML 203.

Successful installs using 64gig 1000x and 128gig 1050x Komputerbay CF cards.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Pelican

Finally I've bought a new card reader and test the new .fir installer/uninstaller. It worked like a charm without any problem.
Thanks Alex!
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

ted ramasola

Testing Mar 18 Nightly.

At 1728x 972 I notice the image would tear when there is HDMI monitor attached. With no HDMI attached the image is ok.

Link to a sample frame with tearing.
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t31.0-8/1115948_454560808008042_1036050560_o.jpg
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Tested Mar 20 Nightly.

Still the same behavior as above. When HDMI monitor is attached, there is tearing of image and occasional pink/magenta corruption.
Without HDMI monitor, all frames clean.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

bischofftep

Quote from: arrinkiiii on March 16, 2014, 04:11:48 PM
If i understand good you can download this in here http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

and just follow this instructions?

Installation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 2.0.3.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

Confirmed today. Works like a charm.
Douglas E. Bischoff
Audio/Video Production & Scoring

ted ramasola

Mar 20 nightly.

Some pink corrupt frames when recording in 60P.

1728x526 - has corrupt frame

1600x644 - clean

1472x592 - has corrupt frame
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

YellowFellow

FINALLY! No hang up after reboot with activated modules! I'm finally into ML - Yess!  :D
(some may remember - I'm maybe the only guy who had that kind of trouble with Alpha, TL and so on...)

arrinkiiii

@Ted

With the few last nigtly ML you don't feel that the Lv is kind of with delay (can't find the correct word) ? The best buffer is 1 ??

ted ramasola

No, I did not notice a delay in LV. I'm still testing with buffer 1, so far its ok. Tested mar 24.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

arrinkiiii

OK, thanks Ted. It's just a small delay, kind...  Will test more and see what going on. 

ted ramasola

mar 25 nightly

Tearing in image still present. Tested 1729x 972

Tested with or without HMDI monitor.

Theres a slight pattern in my tests.

A.)after removing hdmi connection and toggle LV off then on, the first 1st take is clean, 2nd take tearing and pink corruption in several frames.

B.)switch OFF then ON/then LV ON, 1st take with tear and pink corruption, 2nd take clean.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Wartburg-Entertainment

When at last comes "frames override"?
The Nightly of Tragic has not all modules. (DUAL-ISO)
So that makes no fun to strike up there on the Cam.

Greeting

bischofftep

Confirming tearing still exists.
* 2014 May 25 Nightly Build ML7D.203
* Raw 2.0 (mlv)
* 1532 x 1148 resolution

Using HDMI out.
Douglas E. Bischoff
Audio/Video Production & Scoring

mrauwolf

Hi, I'm new here and while I've been meaning to install ML for awhile, I'm only now getting around to it. My question is: For photographers, what is the best build to use for the 7D? Should I go for the nightly build (2.5)? Sounds risky. What is the latest, most stable build and where do I find it?

Thanks so much.

szigiszmund

Hi, from here http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/ you can download for 7d the latest ML version.
Overwrite the firmeware and you are ready to go.
Cheers.

abbyeagle

1. Can someone tell me if it is possible to record for 130 minutes continuously using ML on a Canon 7D. If so, then what are the settings?

2. BTW there is a bug in the nightly build 2014Mar29.7D203.zip
On auto the 7D only records video for a few seconds before switching itself off. Not sure where to report this.
So i installed 2014Mar24.7D203.zip and i got the same bug error message. Settings RAW video ON 1728x972. I think i need to set the write speed to 70.0 MB/s at 25.000 FPS but the FPS Overide item has disappeared from the Movie menu.

3. In Modules menu - what is the difference between the raw_rec and the mlv_rec.mo items. Both are 14bit raw but the second one seems to be a version 2.

ted ramasola

Quote from: abbyeagle on March 29, 2014, 01:16:30 AM
1. Can someone tell me if it is possible to record for 130 minutes continuously using ML on a Canon 7D. If so, then what are the settings?

2. BTW there is a bug in the nightly build 2014Mar29.7D203.zip
On auto the 7D only records video for a few seconds before switching itself off. Not sure where to report this.
So i installed 2014Mar24.7D203.zip and i got the same bug error message. Settings RAW video ON 1728x972. I think i need to set the write speed to 70.0 MB/s at 25.000 FPS but the FPS Overide item has disappeared from the Movie menu.

3. In Modules menu - what is the difference between the raw_rec and the mlv_rec.mo items. Both are 14bit raw but the second one seems to be a version 2.

1. If shooting h264 you could fit that time in a 64gig card. Auto restart will let you record with your 7D unattended, everytime a 4gig limit is reached and it stops ML will automatically start recording. Gap is 1 sec.
   If shooting raw, a 256gig will do about an hour. You'll need a very fast CF for that, at least 1000X. Pray it won't overheat.

2. what auto setting is that specifically? I tested the latest posted now and its continuous with no errors filling up a 32gig CF card.

3. raw_rec has no sound recording. mlv_rec has sound and metadata. DO NOT LOAD THEM BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.  choose one you'll use. Loading both will affect camera performance.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

As a test report for Latest build with timestamp Mar 29.

1728x972 MLV Raw+Sound

1.tearing and corruption of video image if HDMI monitor is attached.
2. all clips in test clean and OK when NO HDMI is attached.
3. Capacity tested a 32gig CF. So far, the video was clean, audio remained in sync.

Essential features not yet implemented.
1. FPS over ride
2. Headphone monitoring
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

arrinkiiii

Yes, that 2  features are very important and needed very bad.

Essential features not yet implemented.
1. FPS over ride
2. Headphone monitoring