Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

Mar 14 ML.

1. FPS override not yet ported back.

2. FIXED: Overlay offset bug mentioned in post http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9848.msg104184#msg104184

3. Crop modes @30FPS
1728x972 16:9 -23"
1728x864 2:1- 1'30"
1728x786 2.20:1- continuous

1920x1080 16:9- 9"
1920x804 2.39:1- 46"

2048x872 2.35:1 -15"
2048x856 2.39:1 -16"

4. 60P

1728x516 2.39:1- 10"

1600x478 2.39:1- pink corrupt frames

1344x408 2.35:1- continuous

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

arrinkiiii

Not try yet the solved overlay bug but it's good to know that is already gone. Yes, fps override its a must and trying to get the same resolution that TL can achieve with 60 fps with the ML version. I think after this 2 things the 7D is quiet good for recording, at least video... not making so much testing in photo mode.

With this 2 problems solve + the dark frame subtracted or + PFN pattern/noise problem solve =  a great video machine. 

ted ramasola

Another thing that would greatly "extend" the usability of these cameras in professional environments would be a solution on how to get a faster refresh at the same time the ability to see proper framing in the higher resolution of crop modes.

With a lot of shooters getting all excited with these new 4K cameras, having a "free" working 2K-2.5k cam already in your hands would make you think twice if the difference is worth it.

Right now, using crop modes would be limited to locked down shots.

You can frame, hit info for fast refresh, do some short moves, pan or tilt, but at that point framing would be guesswork.

I'm no coder, but somehow if in 1X mode a black crop/frame shows whats recorded, perhaps somehow the camera can be "tricked" not to magnify/zoom and allow cropped3x recording. I really don' know if that is technically possible.

or perhaps via HDMI? That through hdmi a whole view of the sensor is shown while the camera records in crop mode, that way we can just mask out the area recorded area.
Again, I'm just throwing ideas out here with no technical basis whatsoever, purely speculation.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

arrinkiiii

Speculation, imagination, need... is the father of invention. It's all good and is needed =))

Yes, good Lv in crop mode would be neat and can get the camera in more professional work/environment.

Related to new cameras that start to show up with the capability of 4k.... Sooner or later we must face the cruel reality, i think our beloved machines will be obsolete.  But until there let's rock this beautiful machines.   

ted ramasola

Testing Mar 14 and 15 ML nightly.

If you switch from photo to movie and quickly press start/stop button, h264 recording will start even if MLV Raw module is loaded.

Tested on both Manual (since you have to press start/stop to open LV) and EF lens.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

I'm not sure what I can do about this.

If I remove the LiveView check (that is, hook the record button only when LiveView is up and running), there will be major side effects (e.g. with manual lens you will not even be able to enter LiveView).

I could try to autodetect when LiveView is starting up, but not yet initialized, and hook the button in this case too. However, this one is fairly invasive (core changes) and requires some more thought. It does improve things, but it does not solve it completely (you just need to be faster when pressing the button).

For now, a clean workaround may be to allow H.264 stop cleanly if you managed to start it.

Faster refresh... with the grayscale preview we are limited by CPU power and by our coding skills, and reconfiguring LiveView resolution is well beyond our current understanding of Canon code.

arrinkiiii

...and the fps override? It's possible to porting from TL to ML?   Also good 60fps to ML?

a1ex

Yes, but all these take time and effort in understanding how they work. Again, if you have coding skills, don't just sit down and wait for me to port everything.

arrinkiiii

No, no im not waiting for nothing, i just want to understand good/better things for my self (for not posting wrong things)  and for explaining to others that arrive with questions here in the forum.

I would like to know code (only pascal from 20 years ago that i already forgot =)) 

a1ex

Didn't mean you personally, but anyone who has coding skills and 7D.

arrinkiiii

ok, sorry =))

GUYS !!! CODING SKILLS ARE NEEDED !!!

a1ex

BTW, I've compiled the latest installation for 7D (the same one that I wrote these days for 5D3.123) and... it worked!

Let me know if it works for you (the latest nightly includes the FIR). If it does, the installation will be as simple as unzipping ML file and running Firmware Update.

arrinkiiii

If i understand good you can download this in here http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/     ? 

and just follow this instructions?

Installation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.2.3.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

a1ex

Yep, just don't put the 5D3 firmware on 7D :D

arrinkiiii

Quote from: a1ex on March 16, 2014, 04:14:09 PM
Yep, just don't put the 5D3 firmware on 7D :D

lol, all most did that =DD    ...but is good to wright this things here for other people also understand better.

arrinkiiii

Wend i format the card in camera should i chose delete the ML files?

a1ex

If you want to mimic a first-time install, yes.

arrinkiiii

Uhmmm, yes i already got bootflag my camera, just need to copy the other files to the card. Just want to test the fir and make the update thing and see...

arrinkiiii

With the .bin everything go's good, make 2 video clips and no pink frames.  will see with 50fps and 60 fps and also using the fir uninstall and install.

(love the proper framing in LV, now i can see the white left boarder and also the previewing the clips in camera and return to Lv also good).

EDIT:   Im notice that wend in LV the image is a little bit (don't know how to say this is english) but kind of jerky, not smooth. 

Walter Schulz

The new installation procedure doesn't work for me.

I used the "old" bootoff.fir to reset the bootflag. Verified that bootflag is missing with a second card.
Deleted bootoff.fir, copied all ML files to the card, tried firmware update. After initial screen display went white. Red LED not doing anything, display remained white, had to pull out battery.

Ciao
Walter

Walter Schulz

No luck with today's ( 2014-03-17 00:31:14) build, either.
Bootflag set (old booton.fir), all cam settings set to default, dialed M: Tried to update. Initial update message appears, after some seconds screen went white.

Where is the error? Build or cam?

Ciao
Walter

a1ex

Will double-check today; don't use the FIR until further notice.

a1ex

Walter Schulz

You don't have to apologize! Shit happens and no harm was done!

Ciao
Walter

a1ex

BTW, does the FIR work with 64GB cards or larger?

On 5D3 I had to rename the FIR to 8.3 characters (not shorter); is this renaming also needed on 7D?