Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knminhaz

I have a 7D but was always afraid of trying ML out. I finally got the courage to install it. But I've got a problem. I have a 133x card (I know its too slow but I'm plan on upgrading).

The firmware installed fine (latest nightly build). I enable raw video module. I hit the record button. Stop record but the recording doesn't stop. So I just switched the camera off. After I shut down the camera, the led blinks for quite a while (about a minute).
I connect the card to my pc to check the files recorded, the only file I find is a 300mb .tmp file. Thats it!

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.

BushanBengaluru

133x card is too slow to write the raw frames on your CF. Remove card and switch ON the camera. It should boot. My suggestion, determine the card write speed first and then try the modules.

knminhaz

Thanks. It boots. I have removed ML. Is there anyway I could test the raw capability with 133X before buying a better CF card?

Walter Schulz

Sure. Take very short clips in high resolution or longer ones in low resolution.

knminhaz

But the problem persists. When I press the rec button the recording does not stop. And later I have to raw files in my CF card.

dmilligan

maybe you shouldn't double post, and check my reply to your other thread
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14261.msg137238#msg137238

knminhaz

Sorry for the infringement.

Mare

Hi
Is there any known situation like this?
1. Camera off
2. take the CF card out of camera
3. leave camera off and without CF card about 4 or 5 hours
4. the battery will be total empty

I can repeat this. If I remove the bootflag and run camera just on Canon firmware it works OK (the battery level stays the same).
Anyway ;)
Best Regards
I LOVE ML

walter_schulz

Quote from: Mare on January 09, 2015, 12:49:38 PMIs there any known situation like this?

Yes. You may use search button above (left side) and look for battery drain.
If following proper procedures still drains battery: Please tell us which ML version (date) you're using.

Brawl

hello guys I wanted to ask which is it the right session of the forum to post magic lantern bugs? I wish to do not do cross post bacause I already started a topic in "General Q&A". But iI need people to do a little experiment and there nobody reply me.
Maybe I posted in the wrong session and I had to post here? I had problems with Nightly.2014Oct08.7D203 and Nightly.2015Jan03.7D203. I really need for you guys to try to reply my actions on your camera, bacause I wish to understand it this bug is for all, or only on my camera.
Can I ask to a moderator the permission to do a little "cross post" for once? If is not possible I will edit this post.
the bug should be in the "movie tweaks/ movie restart" option, bacause if I turn it off the bug stop. if I turn on again "movie restart" the bug come back.
this is a video of the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UNjAuBY0Do&list=UUSXF-xJlFBpj52lhmKXcO_A
can you do the experiment and post the result here please?

I wish to tell that with the Nightly.2014Oct08 the bug was not present with a fresh installation, it come out only after using the camera for a while (expecialy if I used ML Raw video and then come back to h.264). So I had this bug after one or two weeks, where the option "movie restart" was always ON, and I switched from RAW video to H.264.

Different story with the new firmware Nightly.2015Jan03, here the bug started since the first power on of the camera.

really thanks a lot for help if it's possible! :)

Pelican

My Mark II drains the battery at night even without ML installed...
I've never used the On/Off button since the 20D and not happy if I have to do it from now.
It's not the GPS, maybe it is just need more power than the 7D.
I haven't made a proper test, but almost every time I want to take photos I have to change the battery.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Walter Schulz

Anything about this on the net yet? I have a workaround for you so you don't have to use the switch: Take the battery out.
Duck&running for cover very fast

Mare

Hi
I'm testing latest build  2015Jan03 and the same is with Nightly2104Oct07. I just remove the ML bootflag and than is everything OK, no need for removing the battery.

Walter Schulz

Problem is known. But only if proper procedures are ignored. Remove card just after shutting down -> ML will not shut down properly and drain the battery. Wait for some seconds (-> wait for LED inactive) and CF card removal will not drain battery.
If you waited for several seconds after LED went dormant: Problem to solve for devs.
Until now nobody was able to reproduce such errands.

ansius

Lately I also have noticed that my 7D seams to hung (and drain battery) when I remove the card even If that was done in a while after, like after shooting camera has been in bag switched off and I remove the card when I'm at home. I have not been able to find what settings / modes are the cause, but it happens once in a while, so I now always when I remove the card switche the camera on, if it starts, grate, of not - do the battery reset.

An idea, can the red led been switched on until camera really switches off?
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

Walter Schulz

As I wrote earlier: Until now it was not possible to reproduce such errands.
If you are able to do so and offering a procedure reproducing this error for us: Fine! We're listening. If an error is reproduceable it is likely to get fixed.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Brawl on January 09, 2015, 01:49:03 PM
can you do the experiment and post the result here please?

Reproduceable in 2014Oct08 and 2015Jan03:
Run H.264 recording and turn Movie Restart to ON and you will not be able to stop your record by pressing record button.
Fine with module RAW_REC.mo loaded and RAW recording ON.
Tested build 2014Aug20, too. Same error.

Tested build 2014Apr29: Running fine!

EDIT: Last build without bug:  Build #148 (23.06.2014 00:30:54)
First build with bug:  Build #149 (25.06.2014 00:30:55)

650D build 2014Oct07 is running fine.

EDITEDIT: Issue 2173 opened.

Brawl

Thanks a lot for testing Walter awesome job!! :)

Walter Schulz

DeafEyeJedi

So this in fact has been fixed?
Because I have been using the Playback button to get myself out of the loop or if I don't need to record more than the limit time then I usually just disable it.

But for the most part it definitely comes in handy, for obvious reasons!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Brawl

@DeafEyeJedi not yet.

@Walter I didn't know it, I posted my video also on Issue 2173 I hope it will be fixed. Do you think is dangerous to do a work with this bug (using movie restart)? Do you believe there is the danger to lost my data? I use so much "movie restart" for work is often essential (it was the first reason why I installed ML).
I really wish to do not downgrade my ML firmware because I wish to use the most updated ML RAW video module. I do not know if it's me but with the lastest version I had better performance with my 60mb/s 16gb sandisk card, I can now record MLV at max resolution no crop mode (for about 23 seconds then it stops). I hope to have the money for a bigger card soon to make some job with it. I'm studyng Lightroom and DaVinci to understand how to grade it. It's awesome. :)

DeafEyeJedi

@brawl -- Confirmed, Yes it is in fact true that performance wise of the ML core from Jan 3 build has somehow given both my 7D & 5D3* (haven't tested others yet) the capabilities to push it a few more MB/s in MLV/RAW recordings than in previous nightly builds.

*EDIT: This was all done in 1.1.3 for 5D3 -- haven't confirmed yet for 1.2.3 but others can welcome their experiences.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danialdaneshmand

I was checking out Silent Picture module and realize Full Res is not there , is this feature for 5D MK III only?

walter_schulz

Danialdaneshmand

It was a while that i didn't shoot a video with my 7D , i got a slider and gave it a shot.
Turned on the MLV Raw at Full res (though at 2:1 Aspect ratio) did some test and what i encountered was
the footage going back and forth in some frames , imagine if frame number 50 for example goes between 20-21.

This is probably more likely due to post process i did after but
I thought maybe this is related to camera so i posted it here.

Nightly #181 , FPS override turned off , yellow camera icon indicator during the shooting.
Workflow: MLV converter 1.00 > Output DNG > Import in Lightroom > simple processing > Export Jpeg > Premiere CC as Seq
Problem can be seen while i hold down right arrow key in lightroom's library.

PS: In case you're interested in the slider, it was a very cheap though nicely built Kamerar 47" Slider , Smooth and easy to use.