Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

How wide does it have to be and how many trees?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Teamsleepkid

I've got a 12.5 c mount and I was thinking about getting something wider like an 8mm or 6mm. I'm coming from a gh2 which has pretty good detail so I'm wondering how 720p crop mode will stack up. As many trees as possible lol. Actually 1 tree would work. Or buildings, whatever. Looking for detail.
EOS M

DeafEyeJedi

Alright lemme call 1-800-GO-DFORT.

dfort

Well first of all there is no 720 crop mode that I know of. There's mv1080crop and zoom mode.

A while back I posted a few still frames using a few C-mount lenses.

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15660

Then there's this shot that I posted too many times, shot with an 8mm Rokinon fisheye lens in Movie crop mode, though it doesn't show much in the way of fine detail. This is a Dual ISO shot.

I think what @Teamsleepkid might like to see are some DNG frames made from EOSM raw video. Crop mode is where the EOSM can hold up to the other Magic Lantern enabled cameras that use APS-C sized sensors and SD cards. Full frame--not so much because it cannot do mv1080 video.

Teamsleepkid

Very interesting post on the c mounts and crops thank you. So let me see if I can get this straight. There's a 1080p mode which the M can't do. There's a 3x crop mode that is h.264 only and there's some thing like a 5x crop when recording raw on the M? I was thinking raw was at 3x... Bummer. I mean over apsc. I always do my math over apsc or super 35. Not full frame. Films are never shot this way except for Hitchcock or vistavision.
EOS M

dfort

Sorry for the confusion--I meant the full APS-C sensor, not full frame as a 35mm still camera frame. I come from a film background so 35mm to me is a four perforation high Academy Full Aperture dimension of about 24mm x 18mm (1.33 : 1).

H.264 frame dimensions are defined by the Canon firmware though ML adds crop and zoom modes to 1920x1080 H.264.

Here are the raw video modes as they apply to the EOSM:

Mode          Buffer Size   Notes
mv1080      - 1808x1190  -  not available on the EOSM.
mv720       - 1808x727   -  needs to be stretched by 1.67x
                             vertically - up to 50/60 fps
                             except on EOSM.
mv640       - 1808x1190  -  basically the same as mv1080 mode.
mv1080crop  - 1872x1060  -  highest resolution and largest
                             sustainable frame sizes on all cameras.
mv640crop   -            -  not possible.
zoom        - 2592x1108  -  same 5x magnification as mv1080crop but
                             can pan around sensor and can achieve
                             higher resolution than mv1080crop.

The buffer size is the area of the sensor the camera is using in each mode. The actual image size is a crop from the full buffer. You'll notice that mv1080 has a buffer size that's smaller than 1920 wide. That's also true when shooting H.264, the on board compressor is doing some upscaling when shooting 1920x1080 H.264.

Note that the EOSM will record in mv720 mode even when everything is set to mv1080 mode.

To add to the confusion you are limited to the write speed of the SD card controller so there's no way to record more than a second or so at maximum possible resolution. The sweet spot seems to be about 1280x720. Now on most ML enabled APS-C cameras that save to SD cards you can shoot in mv1080 mode but you need to scale back the image to about 1280x720. Only the 5D3 can record 1920x1080 (and slightly larger in zoom mode) raw video.

The difference between getting into mv1080crop and zoom modes is that you enter mv1080crop via the Movie menu and zoom mode via the magnifier button.

There's a lot more to it than this. I'd recommend searching through the forum for more information on raw video.

donmarkon

Can someone explain me how to update magic lantern to latest version ?

garry23

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

Choose EOSM and follow the simple instructions :)

donmarkon

So i can just delete files and do a new install ?

Licaon_Kter

Teamsleepkid

I've been looking at the nitrate calculator. Does the 3x5 subsampling option have lots of moire and aliasing?
EOS M

kentb

Ok, I know this has to have been asked before. But is there a place to get an old stable release with the help files? I don't need any of the extreme hacks like RAW and stuff. Just a stable way to get audio levels on my screen and focus peaking and stuff. Thanks all, sorry for being that guy. I just can't find anything anywhere.

Walter Schulz

Cams supported in "stable":
550D
60D
600D
50D
500D
5D2

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: kentb on March 28, 2016, 09:57:24 AM
Ok, I know this has to have been asked before. But is there a place to get an old stable release with the help files?

You have this forum... and its search function... go bleeding edge :)

kentb

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on March 28, 2016, 10:33:04 AM
You have this forum... and its search function... go bleeding edge :)

Hah, I've tried! I have kinda limited access to interweb and time, otherwise I wouldn't be the guy to ask dumb questions. Just wanna see if I'm missing something. Like a nice big link that says "stable nightly with help files" I wouldn't be upset to find that.

also the search is either janky or I'm dumb (very possible) or it's my internet or something. But it's not working.

kentb

Ok. Each word must be at least two characters long. Yup. Read the red text. My bad.  :P

Walter Schulz

And your problem with nightly builds is? Q is rhetorical because - excluded experimental builds - it's your only option. There is no "stable" version for M and never was. If you don't need a specific feature: Feel free not to use it.

You can use Google advanced search options:
"EOS M" and all the stuff you need to look for site:www.magiclantern.fm/forum

kentb

Ok, rookie user error. I'm just gonna be that guy today. How do I get my WB back on auto for when I want it there. Kelvin is nice, but sometimes auto is useful. Last question of the day.

Edit: Never mind figured it out. Thanks for the patients folks.

dfort

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on March 26, 2016, 06:00:59 AM
I've been looking at the nitrate calculator. Does the 3x5 subsampling option have lots of moire and aliasing?

You mean bitrate calculator? Which one? There are many online.

Please explain what you mean by 3x5 subsampling option. Is this a menu option?

Perhaps you're talking about mv720 mode in raw video or the 1280x720 H.264 setting which skips every 3 pixels horizontally and 5 pixels vertically. Yes, this does have lots of moiré and aliasing on the EOSM as it does on other cameras except for the 5D3 which uses pixel binning instead of skipping.

The EOSM doesn't have mv1080 mode raw video, 3x3 sampling, which is far superior. However it does have crop mode which shows virtually no moiré and aliasing on most shots. If your subject has lots of fine patterns and details you may still have some problems but that is an issue with pretty much all digital cameras.

a1ex

Got two changes for you in the latest nightly:

- workaround for menu timeout (dmilligan)
- fix for cropmarks in movie mode for playback (not tested)

Do they work?

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: a1ex on March 30, 2016, 09:14:28 AM
Do they work?

Nice work @a1ex as usual once again!

•Confirmed the Workaround for Menu Timeout (Thanks @dmilligan!)

•Confirmed the Cropmarks in movie mode to be working.

https://vimeo.com/160855613

a1ex

Looks like the framing is different between standby and recording. How can that be called "nice work" instead of bug? :P

Do you mind printing the value of get_current_dialog_handler() during movie playback? ML couldn't figure out that in the playback screen you actually have a video.

DeafEyeJedi

Actually assumed it was due to the external monitor recorder I had used (confirmation below) to show the EOSM liveview display but sure if you can refresh my instincts ... In order for me to print the value of get_current_dialog_handler() during movie mode would require for me to use LUA scripting, correct?

*edit*

It was in fact due to the limitations from EOSM HDMI output being recorded onto an external monitor which was why the crop marks were chopped off during playback but this isn't the case on the LiveView LCD itself.

So yes indeed nice work once again @a1ex and please let me know how can I help with providing you the print values per your request?

https://vimeo.com/160861255

a1ex

You can't do it from Lua (or at least not yet), but you can put that in a printf or bmp_printf or NotifyBox somewhere (for example, in don't click me).

The bug is only present with external monitors.