Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanomad

The next nightly build will have the eosm installer (fir). Put in on the card along all the other ML files, run it once and you'll have both the card and the camera bootable. It also doubles as an un installer should you need it.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

arielp

is the Shutter bug with 18-55 already gone in latest nightly?

about to jump to ML but still hesitate due to shutter bug...

nanomad

No because we can't reproduce it reliably
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

indiejack

Quote from: nanomad on April 08, 2014, 08:46:25 AM
The next nightly build will have the eosm installer (fir). Put in on the card along all the other ML files, run it once and you'll have both the card and the camera bootable. It also doubles as an un installer should you need it.
Thanks for the info nanomad!
Cameras: 650d, Eos-M
Lenses: EF-S 18-55 (kit), 40mm 2.8 STM, EF 85mm 1.8, 22mm 2.0 STM, Adaptor to use EF/EF-S on the Eos-M

lecore

Hello everyone,

1st post here in ml forum ;D

I just installed the ml for Eos-m (Nightly.2014Apr07.EOSM202).

1st all it works good and almost stable for such a fresh ml-port.

THANKS A LOT to the DEVELOPERS!!!

Some small problems i encountered :

After entering the menu with two-finger tab for ml setup menu, it often exits the menu without any user action.
I dont know why, is it a timer which closes the menu after a given period with no action?
This strange automatism really disturbs the workflow while setting up ml, how can i change this?

Other proposals: I think the navigation inside the ml functions is  lil hustle atm. Always switching between touch and buttons is no good for fast setup.
I would love to see all navigation could be done via buttons, so you could keep your LCD-Hood on and use buttons only.

Maybe some hold down button actions could improve access to ml without the need of using the touch.

Cheers dave

huangyanlai

Quote from: nanomad on April 04, 2014, 08:07:36 AM
The current dual iso implementation assumes a constant address in memory for the iso registers, which isn't true for all digic v cameras.
I'll post a build later today with a different address location that may help.
This nightly build Apr09 still shows the same error for dual iso.

indiejack

Grabbed the nightly (2014Apr09.EOSM202) formatted card, dropped files onto card, run upgrade and got a flicker of the installing screen then a rapid blinking orange light, waited around 15 seconds, removed battery. Did this process and formatting and such 4x - have I missed something?

I didn't make the card bootable is that required still?
Cameras: 650d, Eos-M
Lenses: EF-S 18-55 (kit), 40mm 2.8 STM, EF 85mm 1.8, 22mm 2.0 STM, Adaptor to use EF/EF-S on the Eos-M

nanomad

I'll check. You did everything right

Oliver

I had the exactly same experience than Indiejack. Formattet card, evan made it bootable to make sure... copied all the files and then startetd the update process. A short flash shows up, then the screen gets dark and the light keeps flashing forever. Exact the same thing as described two posts before. Tried also several times. Since today appeared a new version of the nightly builds for EOS M a hoped that the problem ist fixed, butwith Version 2014Apr13.EOSM202  it is exactly the same as Version 2014Apr09.EOSM202.

Since I guess that your Versions are at least once testet before published, i was thinking my SD Card might have a problem (I use a 2 GB card) but installing a fresh 202 Version from Canon works well. If anybody would have an idea, I would be very thankful. To be totally honest. I bought my Canon EOS M purely for  the reason I read that it is possible to do RAW recording with magic lantern with it. Of course I want to get it going. I like to make living photography, so I only need a few seconds of video in Web Size (Full HD not needed really) always from a tripod, no camera movement, no sound (so all the weaknesses of the camera do not really count), but every single image as crisp as possible. The Canon EOS M is perfekt for this purpose and a small budget.

nanomad

The EOSM installer is broken and should not be used until further notice

chris_overseas

EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

nanomad

KSphoto

I have been using ML version from about 4-2-14. I don't have the exact figures, but I noticed that when using the camera with a non ML card my auto focus has changed. It seems that continuous focus works but if it is disabled it will not focus with a touch of the screen only a press of the shutter. I always thought it was fun to just touch an object on the screen and watch it focus. I'm bummed. Anyone else have this problem?

Any feedback on the newest (4-13-14) version?

Update. I have focussing like I was expecting. I just set the focus box to the smallest option and enabled full time autofocus. Simple enough.
5DC, 5D2, 5D3, EOS M, too many lenses.

arielp

Quote from: KSphoto on April 14, 2014, 04:52:38 AM
I have been using ML version from about 4-2-14. I don't have the exact figures, but I noticed that when using the camera with a non ML card my auto focus has changed. It seems that continuous focus works but if it is disabled it will not focus with a touch of the screen only a press of the shutter. I always thought it was fun to just touch an object on the screen and watch it focus. I'm bummed. Anyone else have this problem?

Any feedback on the newest (4-13-14) version?

i'm not installing ML yet (camera still virgin), but when i disabled continuous focus, touch to "focus" is also not available.
i belive this is not related with ML.

touch to focus only available when continuous focus is enabled.

KSphoto

I checked twice and can't find any "touch to focus " options even when in continuous focus mode. I'm using the 22mm lens.
5DC, 5D2, 5D3, EOS M, too many lenses.

funkysound

I just installed a new ML Version (04.21.) and realized that there is no audio department any more (audio out). Does it come back with more features or is it gone forever because some things do not work with EOS M?
All the other stuff like shutter speed in Video modus seem to work good now - at least during a short test. I also had no shutter-bug with the 18-55.
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

EVVK

With older nightlys the shutter bug appeared also after warm boots, which seems to be fixed now, it seems to be a lot better.

However, it still appears with cold boots (re-seat battery and press power). After that I needed to re-seat the lens to get the shutter working again. (11-22 and 18-55 behaves the same). But like I mentioned it now persists warm-boots, so it's a lot better, and seems like we are headed in the right direction.

Needs more testing...

a1ex

Quote from: EVVK on April 22, 2014, 10:02:03 PM
Amazing  :P the shutter bug doesn't seem to appear with 11-22mm either and the last nightly.

We didn't do anything to fix it, but the latest builds contain the classic boot method (from the good old days when ML ran only on 5D2 and 550D). However, my theory says the bug is still there, but the probability of it appearing has been changed (and some people who had the bug before may not have it with new builds, but other people who didn't have the bug before might have it now).

To confirm or invalidate my theories, please report how it works for you.

The nightly builds from 2014-04-18 and newer use the classic boot method, and the previous ones use the cache hacked method. So, try checking a few builds before this date, and a few builds after this date, and write down whether they have the bug or not. To draw a meaningful conclusion, I need results from at least 10 testers.

kaos42ze

Does the Advanced Bracketing ( DOF ) work in EOS-M ?

cinto.brewer

2014Apr20.EOSM202 still has the bug for me.

lochmorie

I have been using the nightly builds over the past month since getting the 11-22mm lens - all have the shutterbug,
including 2014Apr23.EOSM202

I used to get fairly regular red light hang-ups requiring a battery pull on start-up. No problems with that using
the latest build.

EVVK

Crap, seems like so, just had a good luck the first 5 runs, it's been a while when I last tried the nightlys. Anyway, I now get the shutter bug more frequently again, if not every time.

Has anyone been doing any analysis of the lenses? Similar to this:
http://pickandplace.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/canon-ef-s-protocol-and-electronic-follow-focus/
Maybe it could reveal what differs the zoom lenses. :-\

holicow

Hi there @all,

This is great work!

But one little thing:

I installed magiclantern-Nightly.2014Apr25.EOSM202.zip. When i go into the ML menu, it leaves in 5 seconds. This is a very short time. Is there any config option to increase the menu off timeout?

Eos 40D, EOS M, some Glasses, some Flashes.

funkysound

Hi Holicow,
this is sometihing which makes everybody crazy and was mentioned a few times  - in older posts someone said that ii is not possible to increase the time here because it´s got to do with some canon internal time settings - if I remember it right
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

holicow

Hi funkysound,

Does this happen with other camera model ports of ML (600D or 50D eg) also? If it does not, it would be just a port specific setting in the sourcecode. Any developers for the M port here?

Also if i press eg in the Help section some entries, it will be shown forever as long i do not press anything (shutter eg), so it must be possible i think.
Eos 40D, EOS M, some Glasses, some Flashes.