Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2blackbar

2 finger tap to open or close ML menu, first time shows info so you have to press set to make it disappear

mmm

I also have it on my EOS-M. Installed build from about 2 weeks ago.
I'm running primarily the 35MM f/2 IS EF lens for video, the 22 finds some time too.

So far I have run into zero issues. I did adjust raw settings enough to get crop frame raw working, but I don't have a flow for that or a way to deal with audio, so I just shoot mov with a boosted bit rate. So far so good! No issues yet, other than the odd transient UI glitches.

slvrscoobie

I have a bug in the latest nightly builds..

Installed the ML - everything else seems to work fine, but with the 18-55 attached, i cannot take a picture. Press shutter fully and nothing happens.
detach the lens, and it fires fine.
Load up stock FW and shutter works with with lens attached...

Thoughts? Ideas?

Oswald

This is called shutter bug. Or one option is to turn camera on and off quickly. This is known bug.
7D, EOS-M & 100D.100b ¶  Sigma 18-35mm, Canon 50mm F1.8, 22 STM, 8-48mm f1.0, 18-55 EF-M STM

slvrscoobie

yes, as I've discovered. And no ones figured out how to fix it yet? Tis a shame :(

serpicolugnut

I installed the Nightly Build (5/23/14), and am trying to uninstall ML from my EOS-M, but following the instructions, when I try to format the card with ML installed on it, I see the msg 'Format card, leep ML [Tap Screen]'. Tapping the screen does nothing, so I'm unable to uninstall ML. Any ideas?

lochmorie

Instead of tapping the screen rotate the mode dial from 'manual' to 'A+' that should remove the bootflag and then you can delete the files on the card. You can see the procedure at the end of this video (from 3min 30 seconds). The flash-screen information has changed somewhat with the latest builds - keep a close eye on the bottom of the LCD display after rotating the dial, it will keep you informed of proceedings there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc8Zo-VMUkU

mmm

I have to say, the difference of performance in crop mode is very noticeable, when using compressed output. It's really impressive. Running this 35 f/2 IS in crop is a stellar combo, and the quality has almost the air of BMPC. Combining the 35 in regular and crop makes for a nice pair... about 50mm and about 135ish (crop math? its 3x crop of ape-c or 3x of full frame?). Now I'm sorely tempted by the new 16-35mm IS to get some range.

dod488

I installed the nightly build from 5/24/14 this morning.  Just saw that HDR had been rolled into Advanced Bracketing.  So that answers one of my questions.

The big question for me is that ML menus only display for about 5 seconds.  Being pretty new to ML this is a real pain.  I looked everywhere but in the right place on where to configure menu display time.  How can I not make the menus time out?

Thanks, Hal

holicow

The 5 sec Timeout is an error and is still investigated.
Eos 40D, EOS M, some Glasses, some Flashes.

rushod

Hi all,

after working on ML for over 2 months on my 5D mkII, and more than happy with it, I made my move to to a EOS-M.
I Installed the latest nightly builds (for the last 2 weeks, May 2014), configured and wow!, big difference here in development stage.

I've been trying to set up and configure it based on my 5D experience and what info I've found in the forums, but realize that not only I am dealing with a complete different beast, but I have not managed to get any decent results at all.

My question:

Is there any true and tried documentation about the steps to follow once ML is installed and RAW_REC is running at all?

My biggest issues:

1- aspect ratio; I may be able to choose, say, 16:9 but the result is a stretched file that when squashed to the correct ratio creates artifacts.
2- there's no reliable aspect ratio selection, all I can do is select horizontal; is this the case?
3- though my SD card writes 50mb/s i drop frames anywhere above 1000 pixels across.
4- documentation is spread through the web differently and sometimes people contradicting one another, most info is from last year, and there's very little EOS-M-specific. Or so I have found -apologies if this is wrong.
5- banding in the middle of the video

I'd appreciate if anyone could suggest an up to date guide, i'm ok at installing, etc, except what used to work for me on the 5D is not really doing much for me on the EOS-M.

Moreover, I'm willing to make a step-by-step graphic guide for those facing the same issues, so if anyone is willing to suggest/provide info, experiences, I'd more than appreciate that.

Thanks a lot,
Rush

VisualPursuit

The limitation is not the card but the card interface of the camera, sadly so.

And yes, documentation (finding it, even more) is one of the sore points of this project.

So, whatever you can do will surely be very welcome.

I'd love to see stickies with platform specific manuals maintained by
small teams of maybe two or three people.

Since this needs volunteers to help and suggesting is not doing,
my help would be available for EOS M - if anybody cares.

Not that I have a plan yet how to start. Maybe a list of all menu
entries and their limitations that the platform sets explained?

Best practices on top?

Installation and uninstallation step by step?

Available as PDF for Download, maybe plus translations into
other languages? (German: Here.)

Anybody else on board? Suggestions, comments?

rushod

Hi, sure thing, count me on.

My suggestion: PDF is kinda limiting since it most people are on mobiles nowadays, in my opinion html is the most practical and simple and not OS-specific.

Personally I find the list of menus akin to learning a language by studying the dictionary; my approach would be more or less like: "...and after you installed ML, reboot. Navigate to modules and activate RAW_REC because blah blah, and this or that because of this or that reason", without too much text, mostly screen-shots and some examples so that the whole thing is easy to grasp real quick.

Rush

canoneer

Re. Atomos Ninja2 and EOS M.

I am soon a lucky Atomos Ninja2 owner, intended for my future 5DM3, but for learning purposes I will use it on the 60D. and... my M. My question is - will I be able to keep the M screen with ML live while feeding the HDMI output?

a1ex

From IRC:

06:50 < kur1j> am I crazy or does the EOSM version of magic lantern not support focus confirmation in the "Magic Zoom"?

Can you (any of you) describe the exact behavior? If you have a second camera with ML, it may help comparing the Magic Zoom behavior between the two.

Oswald

Quote from: canoneer on May 28, 2014, 11:07:26 PM
Re. Atomos Ninja2 and EOS M.

I am soon a lucky Atomos Ninja2 owner, intended for my future 5DM3, but for learning purposes I will use it on the 60D. and... my M. My question is - will I be able to keep the M screen with ML live while feeding the HDMI output?

No. Unfortunately screen goes black.
7D, EOS-M & 100D.100b ¶  Sigma 18-35mm, Canon 50mm F1.8, 22 STM, 8-48mm f1.0, 18-55 EF-M STM

digiman

Good afternoon all,

I have just installed ML on my EOS M.   Question,  is there a quick way to adjust my iso without having to two finger tap the screen and select iso then left / right buttons?  I really use ML for the on screen VU audio metering,  Intervalometer and having access to ISO 160,320, etc...  I would love it if there is a way i can use the rotary button next to the display to change iso to those magic numbers quickly. 

thanks!

digiman

jeffweiss9

Nor sure where to ask this, but the EOSM for 2.02 firmware would seem to be the relevant place, since that is what I installed on my camera:
I've just succeeded in getting ML loaded and working with my Canon EOS M  with 2.02 firmware and the EF-M 22mm f/2.0 lens for nightscape photography.  Works great, thanks very much all you guys working on this.  However, my other lens is the 18-55mm f3.5 ISM lens which I understand has the "shutter bug" and which, in any case, I don't need ML (at least at this point).  MY QUESTION IS:  Can I just swap SD cards; one with ML installed, the other without, or do I need to uninstall ML on the SD card that has it installed before swapping????   I don't want to turn my EOS M into a brick, so I would love to get an answer to this question before actually trying it.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Oswald

Eos M starts without ml card and can be used without ml card. But remember to switch overlays etc on, otherwise you don't see it.

digiman

Anyone have an answer if ML iso 160,320,640..etc..  can be switched quickly from the rotary button when I have a eye loupe covering the touch screen?   

mmm

Quote from: digiman on June 03, 2014, 01:50:46 PM
Anyone have an answer if ML iso 160,320,640..etc..  can be switched quickly from the rotary button when I have a eye loupe covering the touch screen?

I didn't figure out a fast way in ML itself, but what I do is just tap info button to switch to Q view, use finger to set ISO, then info back. That is faster than going into ML menu, at least for me. Still disruptive though.

digiman

Thank you for the reply,

I have used Q mode via the info button to change it but it only has the standard ISO 100/200/400/800 etc...  sigh 
The way I intended to use the camera as super compact ENG filming with the power of magic lantern, but if I cannot even control something as simple as ML ISO with the rotary button pad I might just sell my investment in this EOS M and move on..

a1ex

If you set ML ISO to say -0.3 EV, and change ISO in full-stops from Canon menu, it should keep the digital gain unchanged. Just tried on 5D3 and it works as expected.

Note that ML ISO at -0.3 EV is not the same as Canon ISO 160. The second one will not keep the digital gain.

tweak

Hi,

New member here. I have been using ML on the EOSM for about the last month now. I love the output of the crop mode and the ability that gives to use different lenses. I haven't had many problems and so far ML has been quite stable, only a few times I've had the recording stay stuck on and no buttons working, I've had to take the battery out to fix the problem, but it's not a big issue.

I have one question (which I searched to find an answer for); is the Audio Monitoring feature working on EOSM? and if not (which I assume) is there any plans to get that up and running? It's something I would find very useful as I assume other people would also.

Thanks for all the hard work that's been put into ML by all the people on here for the EOSM so far! I'm more than stoked to play around with this camera because of it, I'm no good at coding but I'm more than happy to help test this stuff.

Cheers,
Alex.

jeffweiss9

Quote from: Oswald on June 02, 2014, 05:56:25 AM
Eos M starts without ml card and can be used without ml card. But remember to switch overlays etc on, otherwise you don't see it.

Thank you. If I've understood, it is safe to switch in cards without ML on them and go back to ML when needed.  Right?
-Jeff

Anyway, I tried it and survived. So I guess the answer is yes and no brick.