Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tweak

We should make a sticky at the top of this thread about the "shutter bug"... since half of this thread is people asking the same question.

Stedda

Quote from: tweak on August 19, 2014, 01:51:37 PM
We should make a sticky at the top of this thread about the "shutter bug"... since half of this thread is people asking the same question.

Wouldn't matter, more than half of all posts are people asking the same covered topics over and over again...
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

jerrykil

Quote from: a1ex on August 19, 2014, 08:56:21 AM
Greg did some research here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8535.0
but I could only get it working on 500D. I should probably revisit it, since others also confirmed it on 550D and 600D.
Great thread. Apologize I couldn't find it on my own. I will play with this code and see if it works on EOSM.
Quote from: a1ex on August 19, 2014, 08:56:21 AM
Another way would be with the full-res silent pictures, once we figure out how to use the rolling shutter.
This is very interesting and exciting, also. Though, I'm not up to date on those new features...yet.

Quote from: Stedda on August 19, 2014, 03:28:26 PM
Wouldn't matter, more than half of all posts are people asking the same covered topics over and over again...
Personally, I would like to be able to make multiple searches without having to wait 15 seconds. For example, I was searching for prop_aeb and continuous hdr, but was unable to find the fast hdr that greg had posted on. after a few search queries, i grew tired of waiting 15 seconds between each dead end search...

As always, thanks for the hard work a1ex!!!

Walter Schulz

If you don't want to wait use google. Just line up your search terms and restrict your search as in
anything you want to look for site:magiclantern.fm/forum

tweak

Test Footage from EOSm shooting MLV RAW. Read the description for more info. By the way this is my first attempt at it so any info/help is greatly appreciated.

arcadio

ShutterBug
I foung solution for me (EOS-M with 18-55 IS STM). Pulling battery out!
I think it is like rooting Samsung S1, if you dont pull battery out, you jump into boot loop and you will never get rooted phone.

1) format SD card (low-level)
2) copy ML files
3) install ML
4) turn off (wait until led stop blinking)
5) pull out battery and card!!!
6) wait aprox. 5sec and put all back
7) turn on

(dont need twist lens, dont need fast turn on/turn off, dont need special SD card, dont need new firmware)

jerrykil

Quote from: arcadio on August 20, 2014, 09:26:56 PM
ShutterBug
I foung solution for me (EOS-M with 18-55 IS STM). Pulling battery out!
Please read this thread about the shutter-bug: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8347.275
Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 19, 2014, 09:12:04 PM
If you don't want to wait use google. Just line up your search terms and restrict your search as in
anything you want to look for site:magiclantern.fm/forum
thanks 8)

brihan

I have the August 08 build on my eosm and last night I was playing with external audio. The first time I plugged in the output from my mixer I was able to change levels manually using the Canon menu. Then after recording a test file I noticed that ML wasn't showing me the audio levels. At this point even the Canon audio menu isn't showing me any levels any more. Camera reboot didn't help. Audio is being recorded into the videos though. Very strange...

tweak

I think I read some glitch with Audio in the 600/650D thread to a similar nature, maybe someone has more info?

Algkalv

Hello all,

I'm new here, sorry if repeating already discussed question, but didn't found in search.

Installed the 08-19 nightly build:
magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug08.EOSM202.zip

In Manual mode the ML menu doesn't show up at all, in A mode works the Delete button.

When in menu, the submenu doesn't show up none of the submenus - is there some trick with the Q button?

Thanks,
Algkalv

nereis

Hi everybody,

I'm very newbie, sorry if disturbing with shallow issues, maybe you'll help me decide to buy a EOSM camera.

Is any chance to set EOSM with ML loaded to shoot with display turned off?
It seems you cannot do this with its original firmware.

I wish I use EOSM  as a discrete package with 22mm (35mm equiv) lens plus a hot shoe old style 35 mm  optical viewfinder.

When playing with  the camera in a showroom, couldn't find a way to shoot in PASM modes with display turned off.
Turning off the display from a custom set button and continuing to shoot with the camera would be a very nice "pro" option,
saving battery and nerves while using fixed lens and the appropriate optical viewfinder.

Many thanks for your attention! All the best with your great ML projects!

cpreston

Right now, ML allows you to turn off the display after 5 seconds of not being used.  If a picture is taken or a setting changed, though, the display pops back up for five seconds.  It might be possible to add a method to turn off the display entirely, but I didn't see it.

nereis

@cpreston
Many thanks for the information, would be so nice to find a way to keep the display turned off while shooting. In my dreams I imagine taking pictures with a fixed lens like the 22mm and an optical viewfinder without any annoying display response, in an almost Leica like photographic approach, just shooting...from my perspective, even you loose some controls, this feature might transform the EOSM in a more versatile tool.

tweak

Well what you could do is plug in the cord for an external screen, this would switch the screen to black... although I guess that's not the best option around. I haven't seen an option for turning the screen off completely besides that.

To the guy above what do you mean by "Manual mode"? The ML menu should show up any-time by either holding down the trash button for three seconds or two finger tapping the screen. If you want to switch between the 2 ML menus you have to press the "menu" button after either two finger taping or holding down the trash button.

Hope that helps.

tweak

Maybe I'm an idiot and never realised, but I have some interesting info in regards to the focus box while using crop mode as I always assumed it didn't work...

I found that the focus box does actually work in crop mode as long as you make sure the focus box is positioned in the top of the screen (top left) and I usually set pixel size at 2:1 for best results.

It works in small medium or large box size, but the small window looks the least glitchy. The bigger sizes will have some flicker, but on my camera are still totally useable to judge focus.

If this has been discussed already I apologise, but I don't remember reading it here, hopefully it helps others like me.

cpreston

Regarding magic zoom, it took me awhile to figure out how to use it with EF-M lenses while maintaining manual focus.  The best way to do it is to go into the M's Config menu and reassign the focus to the * button on the dial so that it no longer focuses when you half press the shutter button.  Also, set the focus mode to AF/MF and set magic zoom to appear when focusing or half pressing the shutter.  Now you can set the focus box by tapping the screen and then when you turn the focus ring or half press the shutter button, the magic zoom box will appear to aid in focusing.

andyroo

I wonder if someone on this forum could give me some pointers. I am trying to use the EOS M + intervalometer to collect aerial imagery from a Cessna, but I have a problem - in AF, when flying over water sometimes the reflection stops the AF from achieving focus and the rest of the flight there are no images. Even when not over water the AF makes it so that the minimum delay between pics is too long ( > 3 sec) to get continuous coverage.

But in MF I can't reliably get the 22mm pancake to stay in focus, even using magic zoom on a faraway object to manually focus before takeoff. I think I've had about 1 out of ~20 flights work ok.

I am also flying with a D10 modified with CHDK, and in that case, I have an intervalometer script that tells CHDK to focus to infinity and lock focus. Is there any way to do something like that programattically with the EOS M? Someone at some point told me to "use '70s glass" Can anyone be a little more specific and tell me what lens and adapter I would need to get the closest to 35mm as possible on the EOS M?

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse, or offending anyone by comparing CHDK with Magic Lantern. I am a scientist, not a photography wizard, and I am currently contemplating an experiment whereby I determine how many pieces the EOS M fragments into when dropped from an airplane at 600 meters.

Andy

sstbrg

I haven't read absolutely every post in here, so I'm sorry if I'm being repetitive.
When I adjust WB, I can't set it back to AWB. Removing ML doesn't help, it's stuck at the previous Kelvin value.
I need to clear all the camera's settings to get AWB back.  :'(

tweak

In regards to my last post, I had said that "magic zoom" worked in crop mode, what I meant to say was that the "focus box" zoom works in crop mode, the "magic zoom" (fullscreen) on the other hand does not. This is still quite handy however and I didn't realise it was useable until now.

^To the poster above I always have the same problem. Once you move from AWB there is no way to get back to that setting unless you reset the cameras settings. I usually just shoot in 5400, but if you want auto it's almost best not to touch that dial! haha.

tweak

Quote from: cpreston on August 22, 2014, 05:45:33 PM
Regarding magic zoom, it took me awhile to figure out how to use it with EF-M lenses while maintaining manual focus.  The best way to do it is to go into the M's Config menu and reassign the focus to the * button on the dial so that it no longer focuses when you half press the shutter button.  Also, set the focus mode to AF/MF and set magic zoom to appear when focusing or half pressing the shutter.  Now you can set the focus box by tapping the screen and then when you turn the focus ring or half press the shutter button, the magic zoom box will appear to aid in focusing.

You are on the money when using EF-M glass and regular shooting mode.

tweak

Quote from: andyroo on August 22, 2014, 07:40:59 PM
Someone at some point told me to "use '70s glass" Can anyone be a little more specific and tell me what lens and adapter I would need to get the closest to 35mm as possible on the EOS M?

Andy

What they are talking about is using a manual focus lens like FD, PK or OM glass. You can get all these adapters to EF-M mount on ebay for about 10 dollars a pop. Then all you need to do is get the right size lens for your needs and set the lens to infinity focus, in this way your camera will not auto-focus and will take shots much quicker. (you will need to go into the camera settings and enable "release shutter without lens").

As for length of lens the conversion will be 1.6x, so you will probably need either a 20mm (32mm equiv) or 24mm (38.4mm equiv) lens. Old 20mm lenses are quite expensive and also quite heavy and big, I think your best best would be trying to find an 24mm in P/PK mount (Pentax), these lenses also seem to be smaller than most.

Hope that helps.

arcadio

Quote from: sstbrg on August 23, 2014, 10:52:25 AMWhen I adjust Kelvin WB, I can't set it back to AWB.
I solved this by going to "Q" menu, set WB to some value (sunny) and after set to AWB. Anyway to set Kelvim WB to Auto would be perfect.

EVVK

@arcadio: Your above shutter bug doesn't seem to work 100%.

For me it indeed works first time straight after install. But this is nothing new, I've had luck to get it working 25times in the row, where I thought I had something. But then suddenly the bug was back again. It's random.

Anyway, add to your procedure that you take take two photos and then Press the power-button. Wait few seconds then press on again.  The bug is back. Almost always for me. (11-22 lens and sensor cleaning off). However If I wait 2 minutes my luck is better and it usually works.

Maybe there is a soft shutdown pattern.

Steve_Brule

Quote from: andyroo on August 22, 2014, 07:40:59 PM
I wonder if someone on this forum could give me some pointers. I am trying to use the EOS M + intervalometer to collect aerial imagery from a Cessna, but I have a problem - in AF, when flying over water sometimes the reflection stops the AF from achieving focus and the rest of the flight there are no images. Even when not over water the AF makes it so that the minimum delay between pics is too long ( > 3 sec) to get continuous coverage.

But in MF I can't reliably get the 22mm pancake to stay in focus, even using magic zoom on a faraway object to manually focus before takeoff. I think I've had about 1 out of ~20 flights work ok.

I am also flying with a D10 modified with CHDK, and in that case, I have an intervalometer script that tells CHDK to focus to infinity and lock focus. Is there any way to do something like that programattically with the EOS M? Someone at some point told me to "use '70s glass" Can anyone be a little more specific and tell me what lens and adapter I would need to get the closest to 35mm as possible on the EOS M?

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse, or offending anyone by comparing CHDK with Magic Lantern. I am a scientist, not a photography wizard, and I am currently contemplating an experiment whereby I determine how many pieces the EOS M fragments into when dropped from an airplane at 600 meters.

Andy

I bought an adaptor for EF lenses on eBay for $35. There a lot of them, but get one with a tripod mount, like this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Auto-Focus-AF-Lens-Adapter-Canon-EF-EF-S-mount-to-EOS-M-EF-M-camera-/331273182148?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item4d216b9bc4

There are also adaptors to m4/3 etc on eBay, or you can add a Nikon adaptor to the EF to EF-M adaptor, like this:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/742913-REG/Vello_LA_CEF_NAF_Canon_EOS_To_Nikon.html/prm/alsVwDtl  There are lots of these as well.

Pick a lens that has a hard-stop focus ring. You could use the Tokina 12-28 f/4 on the EF to EF-M adaptor (gives you lots of focal length choice from 19-45mm FF equiv), set aperture at f/8, focus at infinity (beware some lens markings are not accurate, so check this before flight, or take a focus at about 1000 feet away), and use electric tape to make sure the zoom and focus rings do not move during flight.   http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/969884-REG/tokina_12_28mm_f_4_0_at_x_pro.html

High end lens option:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655184-REG/Zeiss_1762_848_Distagon_T_21mm_f_2_8.html

Nikon (add nikon F adaptor):  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/36905-GREY/Nikon_1415_Super_Wide_Angle_20mm.html

Cheaper nikon option:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/66980-GREY/Nikon_1919_Wide_Angle_AF_Nikkor.html

dchen99

Hi there.
I loaded the latest nightly build but did not find anywhere to setup time lapse? A google search did not come up with anything helpful. Could someone here point me to some useful resources (web site, documents, tutorial etc.)? Thanks.