650D/T4i Raw Video

Started by PeteTomov, May 28, 2013, 12:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sivencov_v

все правильно, пару страниц назад мне тоже помогли этой программкой PinkDotRemover ...я думал ты(вы) в курсе.

вот держи http://www.fayloobmennik.net/3519323
...завтра будет новый день!

jimmyD30

Quote from: FALLOUT on January 25, 2014, 12:02:38 PM
All of course understandable, but ... how do you solve the problem with the red and green dots.
And what developers think about this ?

Pink dots are from fixed location focus points and as per sivencov use PinkDotRemover (which it looks like you may not have done yet), red and blue pixels (which happened to me when I shot footage in snow also in addition to the expected pink dots) are probably overexposed areas and best fix is per A1ex using chroma smoothing or take extreme care not to overexpose when capturing footage (hard to do in shot with snow though).

sivencov_v

Вчера я снимал ролик магазину сувениров, ну и ради експеремента отснял все в RAW. Скоро смонтирую, покажу что получилось. Можно будет считать это видео как тест со слабой освещенностью :)

Yesterday I shot the video clip gift shops, well, for the sake of all eksperementa filmed in RAW. Fit soon, will show what happened. Can be considered as a test of this video with poor lighting :)

sivencov_v

here are a few shots, see how it happened:

canon 650d + ML (v2.3.NEXT.2014Jan19) + canon 50mm f 1.8 + zenitar 16mm f 2.8
iso = 320-400, 1280*720 25p

FALLOUT

Вау, впечатляет. Всё, в начале февраля покупаю extreme pro card или extreme. Ты говорил, что есть ограничение потока в камере ? сколько Mb/s твоё RAW видео?

Да и спасибо за ссылку на ДотРемувер, сегодня поюзаю, что за зверь такой :).
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, very impressive. All, in the beginning of February, buy extreme pro card or extreme. You said there was restriction of the flow in the camera ? how many Mb/s your RAW video?
Canon650D||Canon40mm 2.8 STM||Tamron18-200/3.5-6.3XR L||

sivencov_v

Quote from: FALLOUT on January 26, 2014, 02:12:16 PM
Вау, впечатляет. Всё, в начале февраля покупаю extreme pro card или extreme. Ты говорил, что есть ограничение потока в камере ? сколько Mb/s твоё RAW видео?

Да и спасибо за ссылку на ДотРемувер, сегодня поюзаю, что за зверь такой :).
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, very impressive. All, in the beginning of February, buy extreme pro card or extreme. You said there was restriction of the flow in the camera ? how many Mb/s your RAW video?
ну моя камера при записи писала поток 35+ mb/s ...но я записывал кадры не больше 10-15 секунд )
...если у тебя есть вопросы, можно писать мне на http://vk.com/sivencov ...что бы тут не путать людей русским языком  ;D

christo

I have a 700D/t5i, which should work exactly the same as this model. Can someone just tell me what memory card I can use that offers the correct read/write speed to shoot 720p RAW , with decent capacity and a cheap price. Went through this thread and people have had pretty inconsistent results (though it may be because some people with issues had fake cards).

sivencov_v

my card is not fake. verified.
as discussed above, limits the flow rate of the camera itself.
so you need to buy card 10 class write speed 35-45 mb / s

christo

Well I have a 30 mb/s card, its too slow, and apparently the 45 mb/s cards don't actually write at 45 , but close to. Theoretically, with the 100 mhz bus apparently these cameras should be able to do around 50 mb/s, so I'm looking at something more like:

http://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-Extreme-microSDHC-Class-Adapter/dp/B00D6XXL7M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390841264&sr=8-2&keywords=sandisk+80mb+SD

Is the extra speed a waste of money? what is a tried and trusted card to shoot the best possible resolution RAW on the 700D?

_DK_

@christo:
Why would you want to use a Micro SD card? I don't know what the adapter will do to the speed.
I think it is a waste of money anyways. I use Sandisk Extreme with 45MB/s, and I can do 720p without any trouble. The card gives me around 40MB/s write speed.
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004Q3C98S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&keywords=sandisk%20extreme&qid=1390851920&sr=8-3 ( I am not canadian I just used it to show you the card I use)
There is also a version of this card wich is colored gold instead of black. It's label/name is the same, but I don't know how this version performs. Maybe it is just something that is different in some countries, or a newer version of the card perhaps.
EOS 650D, 17-50 2.8, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 70-300mm
Sorry if my English is a little bad as I am not a native speaker

christo

Quote from: _DK_ on January 27, 2014, 09:06:21 PM
@christo:
Why would you want to use a Micro SD card? I don't know what the adapter will do to the speed.
I think it is a waste of money anyways. I use Sandisk Extreme with 45MB/s, and I can do 720p without any trouble. The card gives me around 40MB/s write speed.
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004Q3C98S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&keywords=sandisk%20extreme&qid=1390851920&sr=8-3 ( I am not canadian I just used it to show you the card I use)
There is also a version of this card wich is colored gold instead of black. It's label/name is the same, but I don't know how this version performs. Maybe it is just something that is different in some countries, or a newer version of the card perhaps.

Sorry i guess i didn't check that it was micro. So you can shoot continuously till the end of the card? no dropped frames? If that's the case I'll get it. Also how many minutes of raw footage can you get with 32 gb? i probably need two. Also, does sound recording work? i believe the module is mlv_sound (which to my understanding records the sound separately so you have to sync it later)

christo

So i ended up getting a deal on this card (price matched to 50 bucks) http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sandisk-sandisk-extreme-plus-80mb-s-32gb-sdhc-class-10-uhs-i-memory-card-sdsdxs-032g-x46s/10262059.aspx

Can't do 24 fps at 720p. I test write speeds on my computer, its capped at about 41 mb/s, i do test speeds through ML and i get like 35-37mb/s. I do 720p for about 10 seconds before a frame is skipped and it fails. So clearly this card is a scam as it isnt going anywhere near 60 mb/s in write speed. I guess i'll return them tomorrow and try the 45 mb/s variant..

Walter Schulz

I suppose you used a decent USB 3.0 cardreader on your PC for testing.

christo

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 28, 2014, 03:05:15 AM
I suppose you used a decent USB 3.0 cardreader on your PC for testing.

It's built into my thinkpad. At any rate, it's no where near the speed on the camera tests either. I should also note I'm using a T5i (but that thread is pretty dead) and I'm using the nightly builds. Should I be using something more optimized for RAW? I just want to be able to do 16:9 720 p at 24 fps.

Walter Schulz

So you have no clue if your PC based test is bottlenecked by the card or the card reader. Therefore test results are invalid. Any conclusions based on this test are meaningless, too.

christo

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 28, 2014, 03:47:08 AM
So you have no clue if your PC based test is bottlenecked by the card or the card reader. Therefore test results are invalid. Any conclusions based on this test are meaningless, too.

I concluded this off the camera test as well.. When it's telling me the card will only do something like 35.5 mb/s and is inadequate for 720p, I think I can safely conclude its the card.

Walter Schulz

There may be a number of reasons why you were getting those numbers. No proper testing method involved -> Invalid results -> Invalid conclusions.

Ex falso quodlibet

christo

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 28, 2014, 03:56:59 AM
There may be a number of reasons why you were getting those numbers. No proper testing method involved -> Invalid results -> Invalid conclusions.

Most of the pages on this thread show people running the RW test from ML , and basing conclusions off that. As i just explained, im averaging like 30 mb/s, varying from 29.3 to 34 or so.. this is nowhere near the 60 mb/s it's advertised at. I'm not understanding why it's a proper testing method for others but not in this case, can you elaborate?

EDIT

Walter Schulz

Quote from: christo on January 28, 2014, 04:00:25 AM
Most of the pages on this thread show people running the RW test from ML

Most = More than half of.
Let's see:
1: Nope
2: No
3: Njet
4: First one
5: Second one
6: And a no again
7: None either
8: Nada
9: Zilch
10: niente
11: And number 3.

3 out of 11 ... most?

christo

Thank you for your help. I see being an elitist is easier than offering any kind of direction!

tjgehc

Quote from: jimmyD30 on January 11, 2014, 06:31:35 PM
If you want to shoot continuous RAW at 1280x720@24fps on 650D then Yes!

The 95MBps cards will guarantee you can achieve this, as long as your camera can meet the 41MBps SD write speed the specs/forum members say it can do (which should be no problem and have not heard of anyone not getting this speed out of the camera). Reason I say this is because every electronic component every manufactured has some variation to it from the 'mean' stated in the specs, but usually very little and the better the manufacturer, the closer to the expected specs it will be.

For the 650D this isn't really a problem, because to get continuous 1280x720@24fps you need to write at a little above 37MBps, which falls well within the 41MBps spec even including some +/- variation.

Slower rated cards MIGHT be able to do it, depends on the 'copy' you get (every memory card made varies slightly in its read/write speed, the ratings given to a card are general and usually denote the read speed which is typically faster than the write speed).

This where the quality of the card comes into play, where as a SanDisk or Lexar would not be a problem, I have heard of KomputerBay cards causing issues.

Hi All,

first of all thanks for the wonderul work you all are doing. really appreciated the efforts Dev team & this community.

I have recently installed ML to my canon 650d, because I was curious about the dual ISO & Raw video feature (using sony 95mb card). I am impressed with the result of dual ISO footage. But on the other hand I am facing challange in raw video. I converted the raw file to dng using raw2dng.exe however non of my application is recognizing DNG format. so far i have tried PS cs6, LR5. i also updated my Adobe Camera Raw to version 8.2 but still no hope. I would really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks
TJ

_DK_

Quote from: christo on January 27, 2014, 10:37:50 PM
.... So you can shoot continuously till the end of the card? no dropped frames? If that's the case I'll get it.

No dropped frames. It records until the 4GB limit is reached. I never tried out more, since for me there is no need to remove the 4gb limit. Other users reported the same thing back in the old 650D thread.
I just think there are a lot of different versions out there, some might just be fake and some might not come close to the speed written on the card. Your card seems a bit low, even I though I can't tell if it is your card reader... This particular card works for me, so I' fine with it :)

I have no clue about your audio questions. I record music videos, so I have no need for Audio. I never even tried it.

christo

Quote from: _DK_ on January 28, 2014, 09:43:14 PM
No dropped frames. It records until the 4GB limit is reached. I never tried out more, since for me there is no need to remove the 4gb limit. Other users reported the same thing back in the old 650D thread.
I just think there are a lot of different versions out there, some might just be fake and some might not come close to the speed written on the card. Your card seems a bit low, even I though I can't tell if it is your card reader... This particular card works for me, so I' fine with it :)

I have no clue about your audio questions. I record music videos, so I have no need for Audio. I never even tried it.

Hey I'm returning the cards I got. I settled on these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007M54E1M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 gigs is about 2 minutes of footage, I don't think I'll be recording that long on one clip. I noticed the preview is really laggy, how do you preview your shots? Or do you just do as many takes as possible and then check your work in post

_DK_

I only preview my videos later on the computer. I make sure that I get the focus and that's it. For this I use a second display, and/or a viewfinder,both along with focus peaking, depending on the situation/space I have.

As I said I almost only do music videos.I let the song play and record everything in one take (or at least much of it) than I choose another angle and do most of it again. I keep changing angles/locations again and again if it fits the song. Like this I have many different shots that I can combine so there is no need to preview everything on set. I have a song of 2-4 minutes, but in some circumstances 2 hours of footage, to choose from. This is the safest way to get it done, and also the way to have most possibilities. I also copy the memory cards on set, to have enough space with not that many cards.

If you really need to record something that is unique or that is important to nail it in one try, I suggest you should use normal recording.
Raw comes in handy for situations in darker areas and/or for situations with a lot of contrast (very dark and very light parts). For the rest you should be fine with normal video.

sivencov_v

if you do it like an adult, then the music video, you must first draw the storyboard! then to take only those frames that are needed;) looks like this: