50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

menoc

Quote from: pbr on June 16, 2013, 09:39:45 PM

I just bundled a windows executable of a python script I wrote to concatenate spanned raw files.  It takes all XXXXXX.RAW files in a directory for which there are also XXXXXX.R00 files and then looks for any .R01, .R02, etc with the same name and then cat's them together into a XXXXXXX_merged.RAW file in the same directory.  And provides minimal command line output so you know it's working. 

It's pretty simple and uses the windows OS copyfile command.  I havent' run into any problems but PM me if anyone does.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22921777/ML_RAW_cat.rar

Great. Is there something like it for the OS X?

JulianH

Quote from: johansugarev on June 17, 2013, 12:34:45 AM
What kind of video card should around 100-200 usd would be enough to run resolve properly? 18-20 fps is enough for me.
Windows? In that case only Nvidia works (Resolve 10 will support AMD later this year).

More memory is better, but also the speed of the memory is important. Frame-rate really depends on the amount of nodes etc.

Don't know about prices in dollar, but within your budget, a GeForce GTX 650Ti Boost is probably the best you can get. Get one with 2GB and a 192 bits bus (the Boost version). 192 bits means more bandwidth for your memory. Those cards are around €150 here.

GregoryOfManhattan

forking the new build posts to another thread to make it easier for developers to follow technical issues and bug reports.

for known issues with recent builds of the 50D we have:
are there other issues which should be on a 50D bug list?

please keep using this current thread for general 40D and 50D raw video questions and discussions.
if you have identified specific issues with a build report them to the 50D build thread:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6554

pbr

Quote from: menoc on June 17, 2013, 01:43:27 AM
Great. Is there something like it for the OS X?

I just made and added a .command executable of the same name to the linked rar.  I tried on one archive on my mac, it made the merged file but I didn't verify further than that.  Should be fine.  You'll need to run the file with "sudo [dir path]/ML_RAW_cat.command" (or however you can activate administrator privileges from finder -- I couldn't figure it out.  ).

1%

Missing front develop 3 state.

I found the functions that are needed for raw histogram in photo but no state... I see a couple of candidates to try
here: http://a1ex.bitbucket.org/ML/states/50D-alt/sm37.htm

but it seems like those are updated with 109 fw and state list is wrong

front state is *0x3750 maybe just need to try it like 5d2.. also there is a 374c and it looks like a stateobj object in memory but I can't find where its initialized.

also force left produces garbage for me in all modes (at least in preview) and edmacs aren't dying when resized... maybe related to constant drawing by canon.. have to poke around the timers and see what makes it keep refreshing.

killing the edmacs will increase write speed as when messing around I got higher speeds for a little while when trying to "hack" them.

Both front states didn't work. Need to find the actual transitions instead of shooting in the dark :)

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: 1% on June 16, 2013, 09:20:25 PM
So I checked out video modes and it doesn't want to take 24FPS or different display modes.. Seems to be hard coded for either 640 x 480 or 1080P.

There are several spots for frame rate and gop, I'm looking for those.

Found shutter frequency for fps, ae value, shutter timer, frame aperture/shutter/etc

Still working on beep.

also hunting for flush rate, found slice already... getting same 70MB/s max out of the module... I think we can gain some write speed if the edmacs get killed correctly, right now they are not.

Great Job.. can't believe we can squeeze more than 70mb/s

KahL

Quote from: rawmania on June 16, 2013, 08:14:06 PM
@ kahl
In my opinion your workflow is something like the basic "telecine" concept from commercials
Colorisation was done BEFORE editing...
For the  new generation of "digital cinematographers"  this concept "telecine" is maybe stupid but is used even today
However, 99 percentage of our work is in 8 bit teritory
The raw files from Canon DSRL raw are like kodak or Fuji frames in my analogy
If I'm wrong please correct me...

This is true. I could've used the the proxy round trip method from PPRO to AE, but it's much too tedious and over complicated to me. I find doing it this way is much simpler and straight forward for the most part and if I'm REALLY concerned w/ the bits rather than what I can see (using the JPEG workflow, for example), I can always render my DNGs to DNxHD RGB and then back out to DPX for color.

iaremrsir

Quote from: Andy600 on June 16, 2013, 10:37:00 AM
BTW the best sharpening and upscaling method I have found is to work in Davinci Resolve Lite (FREE). I can't get Premier Pro or After Effects anywhere near the same quality without artifacts. See this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg50829#msg50829

In AE can't you duplicate the layer, add your sharpen effect of choice, and change the transfer mode to luminance? That'll get rid of color fringing. Or you could apply your sharpen effect to the layer then use CC Composite and change Composite Original to Color; then just create a preset for luma sharpen.

fandali

Is there a mode (resolution ?) who can limit the moire and aliasing on a 50D ? I've seen some tests footage around and it seems that there is no moire and aliasing.
I search on the forum but I did not find any answer to this question. What you mean by crop mode ? I check also about anamorphic recording but is it made by an anamorphic lens or by software ?
Actually I've made a lot of test at 1280x720. Then I use raw2dng, import the raw on After Effect (I print the frame number and the file name on the output do process like the old 16mm way before 'negative conformation'). The result is very good except the moire and aliasing.
Very impressive job on a 50D !

Nachelsoul

Another 50D RAW video test. This time in B&W.

Shot with 12Jun GregoryOf Manhattan build. I love the possibility to choose different aspect ratio for filming. Thanks to all involve in the development. Vimeo does not show the video in the original aspect ratio, they included it in a 16:9 canvas.  >:(

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 17, 2013, 04:03:37 AM
Missing front develop 3 state.

I found the functions that are needed for raw histogram in photo but no state... I see a couple of candidates to try
here: http://a1ex.bitbucket.io/ML/states/50D-alt/sm37.htm

but it seems like those are updated with 109 fw and state list is wrong

front state is *0x3750 maybe just need to try it like 5d2.. also there is a 374c and it looks like a stateobj object in memory but I can't find where its initialized.

also force left produces garbage for me in all modes (at least in preview) and edmacs aren't dying when resized... maybe related to constant drawing by canon.. have to poke around the timers and see what makes it keep refreshing.

killing the edmacs will increase write speed as when messing around I got higher speeds for a little while when trying to "hack" them.

Both front states didn't work. Need to find the actual transitions instead of shooting in the dark :)

Is this something I can help with? I'll need to know what to look for and how to look for it.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

I think I need to figure out how to redo state diagrams.

simulacro

jhall07

http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/pho/3876250683.html

If any of you live near Charlottesville, VA. I'm not willing to drive the 2 hours to buy it!

But if you were, $350 is on the cheap from what I have seen.

bzhwindtalker

Hey Andy600 I'm trying out your latest build, I'm liking the new *5 preview mode with good colors, however exposure overide seems to have issues, it's locked at iso 3200 again and I can't change it, and with exposure overide disabled it's stuck at iso 100. Also, exposure simulation does not seem to work for me.

Edit : Went back to your 14 june build, seems stable enought! I hope you can get the grayscale crop mode preview working stable!
50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

Andy600

Quote from: bzhwindtalker on June 17, 2013, 09:39:11 PM
Hey Andy600 I'm trying out your latest build, I'm liking the new *5 preview mode with good colors, however exposure overide seems to have issues, it's locked at iso 3200 again and I can't change it, and with exposure overide disabled it's stuck at iso 100. Also, exposure simulation does not seem to work for me.

Edit : Went back to your 14 june build, seems stable enought! I hope you can get the grayscale crop mode preview working stable!

Yep, that's why it says ETTR broken in the name of the zip ;) I'm going back through the changes to find where it began to go wrong. Have you tried Gregory's latest? Same issues?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

BokiA

I just filmed another short test trying to see how do the skin tones look like in RAW, I might add they're pretty good :)
The only thing I will add is that YT compresses the hell out of the footage, the original ProRes422 file is damn sharp (just a touch of sharpening in CRaw in AE), even the compressed file (h264 15~20Mbps) looks a lot sharper than this, but on YT it looks all mushy.

JulianH

I'm getting weird results in Resolve.
Colored lines around the frame and a 1px black border.

Looks like this:

Framegrab from exported h264 file at 300% + curves to make it more clear.

The CDNG file is fine (converted with raw2cdng.1.1.6) if I open it in Photoshop so must be a setting in Resolve somewhere I suppose.

Anyone seen this before? What could it be?

rockfallfilms

Quote from: JulianH on June 17, 2013, 11:33:47 PM
I'm getting weird results in Resolve.
Colored lines around the frame and a 1px black border.

The CDNG file is fine (converted with raw2cdng.1.1.6) if I open it in Photoshop so must be a setting in Resolve somewhere I suppose.

Anyone seen this before? What could it be?

Yeah I've seen the same thing, it is a blueish colour on mine. I think it must be how Resolve is interpreting the DNG's. What do you use to extract DNG's from the ML RAW files?

JulianH

Good to know I'm not the only one...
It's blue on one side, orange-ish on the other side. Barely visible with BMD Lut, but really annoying in the final result.
I'm using  raw2cdng.1.1.6. That's the only option I think.. (Windows).

1%

Hmm.. well might want to add the *frame_* stuff to your consts... I don't seem to be having any problem with it locked on iso 3200, it won't even go there, stops at 1600.

Andy600

I'm not getting this issue in Resolve. Have you set input or output scaling to fill the frame?

a1ex

Frame consts are only used on new cameras (those that can do HDR video with shutter timer). The old ones use the slow method, which only change settings via properties or expo override. If expo override is enabled, ETTR acts like in M mode, so it should use auto_ettr_work_m (check if this actually happens).

I also can't get it to go to ISO 3200, does it go there even if you start at say ISO 200? ISO is limited to 100-1600 on this line:

int isor = COERCE((iso + 4) / 8 * 8, MIN_ISO, max_auto_iso);

(on new cameras it goes to the value from Canon menu, but 50D doesn't have it, so it defaults to 1600).

JulianH

Quote from: Andy600 on June 18, 2013, 12:18:00 AM
I'm not getting this issue in Resolve. Have you set input or output scaling to fill the frame?
Yeah. Tried different options. But I also get it when I make a project with the exact pixel size...

rockfallfilms

Quote from: JulianH on June 17, 2013, 11:57:57 PM
Good to know I'm not the only one...
It's blue on one side, orange-ish on the other side. Barely visible with BMD Lut, but really annoying in the final result.
I'm using  raw2cdng.1.1.6. That's the only option I think.. (Windows).

I've just done another test, I'm not getting the issue when using RAWMagic on the Mac. It was only happening when using Raw2dng.