50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Maybe there is a function like beep_it or something... would be better than no beep at all. I'll have to look. Sucks though, didn't know they didn't include the chip.

ilguercio

My 50D is fairly old in terms of production batch so there is no chance newer ones have it instead.
Also, i see no room for it either on the board.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 18, 2013, 05:47:38 PM
Maybe there is a function like beep_it or something... would be better than no beep at all. I'll have to look. Sucks though, didn't know they didn't include the chip.

Well something beeps when my chipped K-mount adapter confirms focus  ::)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

pulsar124

I was probably confused by the statement from 1% on page 50:

QuoteAudio stuff is all in there.. mic is not hooked up.. audio is ak4646. I was going to make it beep next... but battery died. i'll have to use AA's.

So does 50D have ak4646? Form the chip description:

QuoteThe AK4646 features a stereo CODEC with a built-in Microphone-Amplifier and Speaker-Amplifier. Input circuits include a Microphone-Amplifier and an ALC (Auto Level Control) circuit, and Output circuits include a Speaker-Amplifier.

ilguercio

Quote from: Andy600 on June 18, 2013, 05:49:48 PM
Well something beeps when my chipped K-mount adapter confirms focus  ::)
Even an old 20D would beep and i am very sure it has got nothing that can record audio in it.
The FW has got references to the AK4646 but there is nothing on the hardware side that barely resembles such chip.
That's it.
The way i look at it is that 50D and 5DII were meant to be very close except for the sensor size and then somebody in the marketing department thought it was better to differentiate the products a bit, just so that the 5DII could have that something that would attract users towards its purchase.
If you consider the write speed the 50D is capable of you will start to understand what i am talking about, even though it is just MY opinion.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Andy600

Quote from: ilguercio on June 18, 2013, 05:54:55 PM
Even an old 20D would beep and i am very sure it has got nothing that can record audio in it.
The FW has got references to the AK4646 but there is nothing on the hardware side that barely resembles such chip.
That's it.
The way i look at it is that 50D and 5DII were meant to be very close except for the sensor size and then somebody in the marketing department thought it was better to differentiate the products a bit, just so that the 5DII could have that something that would attract users towards its purchase.
If you consider the write speed the 50D is capable of you will start to understand what i am talking about, even though it is just MY opinion.

I think bar the sensor size and audio the 50 and 5d2 are pretty much the same. I was hinting at maybe using the focus confirmation beep for sync but I doubt it's loud enough.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

QuoteSo does 50D have ak4646? Form the chip description:

In firmware yes, from the pictures no.

Andy600

@1% - Just enabled display filters. It seems to be doing something. Anamorphic de-squeeze is flickering and it does bend the image. Is it just a sync issue or more complicated?

Also, trying to figure out why H.264 movie logging isn't working  ???

1%

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 18, 2013, 06:08:21 PM
You need to add display filter sync for 50D.

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/commits/21977f4ab173d551a7bf6f6abdbd1700e3c5f5e7

Cool :) Thanks. I was on the right track by the looks of things except for the hard coding bit  ;D

dsManning

Quote from: Andy600 on June 18, 2013, 02:14:54 PM
Added your Frame stuff to consts.h :)

Thanks for all the amazing work everyone.  Really glad I picked one of these off Craigslist for cheap last week.  (All the prices now are upwards of $700 for body only.) 

Running Andy's build from today with 5x crop centering

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads/Andy600ML_June18th_50D.109.d55f33a1d395_Snap_to_5x_center.zip

ETTR is running smoothly, but I am still getting max ISO at 1600 for ETTR.  I have expanded ISO enabled in the Cannon menu.  Is there another setting I have toggled that is interfering?  Was this edit to consts.h what was supposed to fix ISO 100-1600?

a1ex

Andy600

Quote from: dsManning on June 18, 2013, 06:35:43 PM
Thanks for all the amazing work everyone.  Really glad I picked one of these off Craigslist for cheap last week.  (All the prices now are upwards of $700 for body only.) 

Running Andy's build from today with 5x crop centering

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads/Andy600ML_June18th_50D.109.d55f33a1d395_Snap_to_5x_center.zip

ETTR is running smoothly, but I am still getting max ISO at 1600 for ETTR.  I have expanded ISO enabled in the Cannon menu.  Is there another setting I have toggled that is interfering?  Was this edit to consts.h what was supposed to fix ISO 100-1600?

No it's not you, it's supposed to happen with this build. the 50d is missing something and defaults to ISO1600. It's still development code don't forget ;)

The consts thing was something else. I'm just cherry-picking a few features that the real devs are working on.

dsManning

Thanks!  Quick replies and so very informative.  Great thread and development you have got going here.  Learning so much :)

Andy600

Quote from: a1ex on June 18, 2013, 06:38:18 PM
There's no point in going above ISO 1600 on DIGIC IV.

http://www.guillermoluijk.com/article/isos5dmkii/index.htm

Noise isn't so ugly at 3200 with raw video. If you use chroma noise reduction it actually looks like film grain. This shot has no NR

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

pulsar124

Could anyone please give me a link to the description of how RAW is done under Magic Lantern?

Specifically, it is not clear to me what is the 14 bit color. My understanding is that for some video modes the whole sensor is used. The sensor itself is 14 bit per pixel + Bayer matrix to get proper colors by interpolation. To make 1080p video from the whole sensor, one has to bin multiple pixels. What is binned by ML - the raw pixel values (before demosaicing)? Perhaps separately for the pixels of each color (R/G/B)? And what is the RAW video format: is it 14 bit per pixel, and has to be demosaiced? Meaning the color resolution is pretty poor?

Thanks.

JulianH

Why would that make the color resolution pure?
14 bit raw video is just like a 14 bit raw photo, only you get less pixels per frame. That doesn't have anything to do with the data that is in the pixels.

rommex

Hi Andy.
So Transcend x600 will allow full 50D Resolution for, let's say 1 min non-stop for sure? I'm also looking into buying one.
Thanks for your info!

Quote from: Andy600 on June 18, 2013, 03:15:09 PM
If you're looking to buy it I suggest getting the Transcend 600x 16,32 or 64gb which is cheaper and works. I have the 16gb and 1584x950 is no problem. Writes up to 65MB/s.

Alternatively get the Komputerbay 64gb card which is good value for money, even though mine was DOA. Ordered another.

Andy600

Quote from: rommex on June 18, 2013, 11:02:56 PM
Hi Andy.
So Transcend x600 will allow full 50D Resolution for, let's say 1 min non-stop for sure? I'm also looking into buying one.
Thanks for your info!

It depends what you mean by 'full resolution'. If you mean maximum settings then no, you can't. But it you want to record footage scalable nicely to 1080p you can get continual shooting :)

FYI I get 1584x892 (16:9) continuous and 1584x950 (5:3) for a couple of mins at 25p with write speeds up to 65MB/s. (yes 25p :) )

briwil

My first real test oudoor with my new 50D.
Shot at 1584x892, graded in AE with ACR, scaled up to 1920; scaled down to 1280 because vimeo won't let me upload a file bigger than 5gb.

Used the cheap Canon 50mm 1.8f; looking at the footage, makes me realize the importance of image stabilization, which this lens obviously doesn't have.

rommex

Quote from: Andy600 on June 18, 2013, 11:34:34 PM

FYI I get 1584x892 (16:9) continuous and 1584x950 (5:3) for a couple of mins at 25p with write speeds up to 65MB/s. (yes 25p :) )

That settles then. THNX!!

rommex

Quote from: briwil on June 18, 2013, 11:38:21 PM
My first real test oudoor with my new 50D.
Shot at 1584x892, graded in AE with ACR, scaled up to 1920; scaled down to 1280 because vimeo won't let me upload a file bigger than 5gb.

Used the cheap Canon 50mm 1.8f; looking at the footage, makes me realize the importance of image stabilization, which this lens obviously doesn't have.

Yep, I almost got seasick by the end  ;D ;D

briwil

Quote from: rommex on June 18, 2013, 11:51:46 PM
Yep, I almost got seasick by the end  ;D ;D

Can anyone tell me, would a lens with Image stabilization help much?
And what is this stuttering effect on panning shots, is that a result of FPS override dropping frames, or something else?

araucaria

Quote from: briwil on June 19, 2013, 12:04:42 AM
Can anyone tell me, would a lens with Image stabilization help much?
And what is this stuttering effect on panning shots, is that a result of FPS override dropping frames, or something else?

Well lens stabilization isn't going to help you while walking around with the camera in your hands, specially not at 50mm on 1.6x crop.

The stutter might come from importing your 24fps secuence as a 30fps material but having a 24fps composition. check it out, right click on secuence and click interpret footage, should be at 24fps for a 24fps secuence. Has already been discussed in a lot of posts.

Rolling shutter is not going to go away even with raw (makes no difference).  50mm + shake panning =terrible rolling shutter.

Anyway, that's all basic stuff, nothing to do with RAW.

briwil

Quote from: araucaria on June 19, 2013, 01:07:30 AM
Well lens stabilization isn't going to help you while walking around with the camera in your hands, specially not at 50mm on 1.6x crop.

The stutter might come from importing your 24fps secuence as a 30fps material but having a 24fps composition. check it out, right click on secuence and click interpret footage, should be at 24fps for a 24fps secuence. Has already been discussed in a lot of posts.

Rolling shutter is not going to go away even with raw (makes no difference).  50mm + shake panning =terrible rolling shutter.

Anyway, that's all basic stuff, nothing to do with RAW.

Well, I shoot footage handheld all the time with my Nex-6, with an old Canon FD 50mm lens, and the shakiness is nothing like this.
And why wouldn't IS help with handheld footage?

And yes, it has been discussed a lot in other posts; I set my AE preferences for image sequence import to 24p, it was definitely imported correctly.
But you're right, it probably is just rolling shutter and me being too shaky.