50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frerichs

Ah, makes sense.  Going to install the latest build and use Resolve going forward.  Just experimenting at this stage but love what the 50D can do, even at this early stage.

Also, the magenta frames seem to only happen when I use an external monitor.  You can see the magenta blip when recording and usually get 1 to 5 during a 30-second clip.  I'm using a SmallHD 7" HDMI monitor.

JulianH

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 15, 2013, 11:46:31 PM
This was probably caused by Adobe camera raw, I got the same issue as have others. ACR seems to be doing auto adjusting behind the scenes and causing a flicker in the highlights. So far there doesn't seem to be a solution, other than going direct to Resolve.
Wasn't that fixed by using an older process version? The new one applies highlight corrections even if you don't touch any of the sliders I think.

rockfallfilms

It happens with all the processes to varying degrees, 2010 is slightly better but doesn't cure it.

You can turn off autotone so ACR stops guessing but this is the way I understand it:

if there's a change in exposure during the scene like the sun coming out then the frames with the brighter sun would inherit the same changes which were made on the 1st image that was changed in ACR. (with darker initial exposure) I believe that the only real way round it is to find the brighter frames and make different corrections to them to compensate. That would take too long though!

What is needed is some kind of smooth transition between frames to iron out any differences in exposure. Out of all my shots so far, I've only had an issue with one so I'll just live with it for now!

artiswar

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 16, 2013, 12:13:10 AM
It happens with all the processes to varying degrees, 2010 is slightly better but doesn't cure it.

You can turn off autotone so ACR stops guessing but this is the way I understand it:

if there's a change in exposure during the scene like the sun coming out then the frames with the brighter sun would inherit the same changes which were made on the 1st image that was changed in ACR. (with darker initial exposure) I believe that the only real way round it is to find the brighter frames and make different corrections to them to compensate. That would take too long though!

What is needed is some kind of smooth transition between frames to iron out any differences in exposure. Out of all my shots so far, I've only had an issue with one so I'll just live with it for now!

Or use the CDNG and DaVinci workflow. Much cleaner.

rockfallfilms

Quote from: artiswar on June 16, 2013, 12:40:14 AM
Or use the CDNG and DaVinci workflow. Much cleaner.

Unfortunately Davinci's debayer isn't as good as ACR and I find the DNG raw controls pretty limiting. Also ACR's chroma noise reduction does a good job of reducing moire.

There's no perfect workflow for me yet, I'm hoping resolve 10 will improve things.

soulofsound

I'm looking at a lot of 50D RAW footage. Most of it is pretty soft, especially compared to the 5D mkIII. Only rarely i find footage that is quite sharp.

Anyone know why this is? Is it only due to people using soft lenses, cause i would think that would be quite the coincidence.

Anyway, i think this thread's got great potential. Possibly i will buy a second-hand 50D as well. I just need to know if it will be sharp enough.

1%

Heh, got battery charger.. charging 'em up.

briwil

Hey! I finally got a working 50D!! :D

arrinkiiii

7thRest

Quote from: Andy600 on June 14, 2013, 10:47:07 AM
I've forked Gregory's repo so I can compile updates with the latest changesets when he's not around. Anything I upload has been tested on my camera. If you are just getting started with the 50d DO NOT use my builds but read post #1.

My compiles are here: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/magic-lantern/downloads (up to Unified commit 4c83f9e)

Is it normal for this build to have auto ETTR work in P mode, seems like M mode is ML's preference (blinking -live view- blue button until M mode is selected -except Auto ETTR is non-functional)  :o
50D ML RAW, 60D ML

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: 1% on June 16, 2013, 02:43:46 AM
Heh, got battery charger.. charging 'em up.

Now that's what I'm talking about.  Let the games begin..  ;D

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: soulofsound on June 16, 2013, 01:31:49 AM
I'm looking at a lot of 50D RAW footage. Most of it is pretty soft, especially compared to the 5D mkIII. Only rarely i find footage that is quite sharp.

Anyone know why this is? Is it only due to people using soft lenses, cause i would think that would be quite the coincidence.

Anyway, i think this thread's got great potential. Possibly i will buy a second-hand 50D as well. I just need to know if it will be sharp enough.

50D can be really sharp, I've shot some sharp footage with it.

LEVISDAVIS

It was  106 degrees in Phoenix, AZ today. I found myself standing on top of a rock faced mountain overlooking most of the city. Had a set of lenses, 2 64GB 1000X Komputerbay cards, and a slew of batteries...

The camera showed the "overheating" indicator on-screen quite-a-lot. However, the camera did not power off. I used to own a 550D and that camera would automatically shut down after about 10 minutes in direct sunlight. I carried a large white towel to utilize the Canon's display in direct sunlight as well as to protect and keep the camera cool when moving from shot to shot. In the end, the camera did not automatically turn off, not once.

It was reliable enough to set the camera to raw_record, start/leave the recording, climb the last 30 feet of a mountain, and grab a hero shot!

Say, if you haven't used MagicRAW beta 6 from Thomas Worth I highly recommend downloading this beta. Files are spanning perfectly. Here is a link to beta 7... http://www.mediafire.com/download/ht3ydb4s254ka5z/RAWMagic-beta7a.dmg. I imagine it's only better than beta 6.
Levi S. Davis

robertgl

You can't do better than the 50D for the price.. and it's still in an early dev stage I think, so the safe resolution could improve .. even now however many of the images are great - especially when aliasing and moire are avoided.. very cinematic, which does not necessarily mean ultra-sharp

LEVISDAVIS

I'm looking at some of the 5x crop images... They are incredibly sharp!!! No aliasing or moire. It's tough to look away.

Not sure if it's my ACR process, but I am noticing squares/black lines between the pixels. They are highly noticeable in a perfect blue sky.

Using the MagicRaw Beta 7 along with AE & ACR to process footage...
Levi S. Davis

Andy600

Quote from: 7thRest on June 16, 2013, 03:31:56 AM
Is it normal for this build to have auto ETTR work in P mode, seems like M mode is ML's preference (blinking -live view- blue button until M mode is selected -except Auto ETTR is non-functional)  :o

Yes, it's supposed to work thanks to @a1ex's commit b84b98c 'Auto ETTR: experimental support for auto modes (Av, Tv, P)'

If nothing is happening you must have Exposure Override set to ON. Try Auto ;)

Got no blinking blue light here though in P mode
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

Lens, aperture settings and post sharpening choices can make footage soft. A lot of footage I've seen is over-sharp which, IMO is ugly. If you compare upscaled raw video from the 50d to H.264 you'll see it's a lot more detailed. Don't confuse sharpness with resolution ;)

5d2 footage will be marginally higher resolution when upscaled as it's native raw video frame size is a little bigger than the 50d's... but 50d upscaled raw video still wipes the floor with native EOS H.264 1080p

BTW the best sharpening and upscaling method I have found is to work in Davinci Resolve Lite (FREE). I can't get Premier Pro or After Effects anywhere near the same quality without artifacts. See this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg50829#msg50829
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

Quote from: TVMol on June 15, 2013, 01:55:54 PM
Haven't seen green screen results yet.  So if ... I suggest a cattegorie for it.

TVMol

Yes, I forgot to add that one. Thanks for your suggestion :)

bzhwindtalker

Hey Andy, seems like your latest build is having issues with iso, the top lcd says iso 100 but the liveview 3200 and I can't change it.
Edit, it has something to do with exposure override, maybe it's just me
50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

Andy600

Quote from: bzhwindtalker on June 16, 2013, 01:44:39 PM
Hey Andy, seems liike your latest build is having issues with iso, the top lcd says iso 100 but the liveview 3200 and I can't change it.

Yes, I think it's a 50d specific bug with ETTR and I've removed the download. Revert to Gregory's latest build as it's newer than my previous one. Hopefully one of the guys will have a look at the issue later.

bzhwindtalker

I still can't figure out why I get pink tones with raw2dng (and apps based on it) while raw2cdng works perfectly?
I made this test with the latest raw2dng downloaded from bitbucket.

50D, Komputarbay 1000x 32gb, Tokina at-x 24-40, Centon 50f1.7, 55-250 IS II, zoom H1

Andy600

Quote from: bzhwindtalker on June 16, 2013, 02:34:42 PM
I still can't figure out why I get pink tones with raw2dng (and apps based on it) while raw2cdng works perfectly?

Backup raw2dng.exe in whatever app directory you are using and try this one https://bitbucket.org/andy600/magic-lantern/downloads/raw2dng.exe

a1ex

You need to adjust white balance manually.

bzhwindtalker

Quote from: Andy600 on June 16, 2013, 02:57:53 PM
Backup raw2dng.exe in whatever app directory you are using and try this one https://bitbucket.org/andy600/magic-lantern/downloads/raw2dng.exe

No workie, your file is 18kb vs 260~ for the regular one?

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Andy600 on June 16, 2013, 10:37:00 AM

BTW the best sharpening and upscaling method I have found is to work in Davinci Resolve Lite (FREE). I can't get Premier Pro or After Effects anywhere near the same quality without artifacts. See this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg50829#msg50829

I second that, Resolve's sharpening algorithm is pretty good. The best results can be had by sharpening only the luma channel and not the chroma, this will avoid colour fringes.

http://www.liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php?threads/building-a-better-sharpen-in-resolve.278/