5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kharak

Quote from: ch_d on January 14, 2014, 09:48:54 PM
i am testing right now. the writing speeds are jumping up and down. just a readout bug?

Same here, jumps between 70-77 mb and then jumps down to 60 mb and then up again to the 70's. (don't see anything more extreme than that)

I get continues on all aspect ratios up to 1:85:1 (1872x1012). There I get 1:01, 1:04 and max 1:06 min. The expected frames goes quite quickly up to over 2000 frames, but when I reach close or around (sorry now I don't remember) 1200 I think, it stops.

When paning back and forth in 1:85:1, I get around 50-55 seconds.

Using Lexar 128 gb.

all in all! looks like a boost. But crop mode was terrible for me.

edit: Sorry, these were my settings:

Global Draw off while recording

Hacked2 Prev off

Extra Hacks ON

Buffer Method: 1 (all the others decreased the speed)

MLV sound ON (recording on internal mic)

This test was not done with cap on.
once you go raw you never go back

ch_d

Can anybody give me a hint where i can find a tool for osx 10.8 to convert the MLV format to dng and sound. I really looked everywhere in this forum but couldnĀ“t find a working solution...
5D MII

poromaa

QuoteWhen paning back and forth in 1:85:1, I get around 50-55 seconds.

Why would there be any difference if you move the camera? If it was any compressed video I would assume the bitrate to be higher if panning, but in RAW?

Im testing right now and got continuos recording in 1872x936 (2:1) with sound.
Global Draw: Allow
Preview: Auto
(didn't improve anything turning them off)

Transcend 64GB 1000x
Extra hacks on, card warmup (128 MB)
Global Draw OFF

Get 305 frames on max 1872x1054 (16:9) compared to 244 on last build (not very scientific, but anyway)

mlv_rec seem to perform better than raw_rec? (with raw rec I only got continous when using 2.20:1). Is it a different Buffer fill method? (4 seems to work best for me). Will do more testing.

Great work!

Kharak

Quote from: poromaa on January 14, 2014, 10:53:33 PM
Why would there be any difference if you move the camera? If it was any compressed video I would assume the bitrate to be higher if panning, but in RAW?

Don't know, but I got less speed when I was panning. More pixels to be moved around and stuff I guess.. Also have had the same experience out in the field, where extreme moving could sometimes stop the recording. Maybe I'm just imagining all these things, who knows.

Btw, after recording and having GD off, it did not return. But if I click Canon menu button and exit again, the GD appears again. Was shutting down liveview before and turning it on again, to get it back. So thats a nice trick.

Kharak

Quote from: ch_d on January 14, 2014, 10:47:53 PM
Can anybody give me a hint where i can find a tool for osx 10.8 to convert the MLV format to dng and sound. I really looked everywhere in this forum but couldnĀ“t find a working solution...

I can't find the MLV Sharp or whatever its name was anywhere? Anyone know where the thread went?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.0 But here is an extremely helpful tool, clean playback of RAW or MLV file.

ted ramasola

Here's the link to the MLV browser and player that includes MLVviewsharp and MLVbrowsesharp.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8447.0
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

reddeercity

Testing the new Build for Jan.14/14
There is more improvement in performance write speed, plus stable crop marks though
hdmi devices. No crashes of any kind.
I Thing thou, When I formated my card in Camera I lost all magic lantern software plus raw files.
Had to reinstall all ML software on card including making card bootable. But that was in Crop mode,
and never happen in non crop mode, So be careful on that!
Here are my numbers: With HDMI Evf connected:
1872x938 23.976p continuous
Audio=on  48kHz
buffer=1
GD=off
Preview=Hacked no prev.
Crop Mode:
1856x1004 23.976p Continuous
buffer=0
No HDMI devices:
1856x1004 23.976p--3880, 3913, 2200, 1720 frames
Audio 48kHz
Preview=ML gray
Crop mode:
2048x930 23.976p 3987 frames
buffer 0
2048x872 23.976 continuous
preview= canon
Things are improving very well,
A.D. is possible to have the Raw record info out side the white Rectangle Crop Mark.
I record the Live View and the info is just inside on the low left, if that could be drop
to the bottom of the LV screen then I could record it cleanly without turning
All overlays off and keep the info while recording raw.  :)

Kharak

@reddeercity.

not sure if this is what you did, but in older builds, if you recorded something and did not turn the camera off and on again before formatting, then it would delete all ml files

piloui

I confirm reddeercity's numbers. This last build is the step into continuous 2k video 2.35:1 24fps X5 crop for 5D2.

2048x872 exact 24fps continuous with sound 73Mbps_ish( lexar 32Gb 1000X ).

Thanks ML !

ch_d

5D MII

a.d.

Thanks for testing, guys!

Quote from: Kharak on January 14, 2014, 09:36:44 PM
First thing I noticed is that the white framing box is a little to the left. The left side of the white border disappears in to the end of the LCD, but is visible on the right side.
It's the new Global Draw LV Info (same for raw_rec)

Quote from: ch_d on January 14, 2014, 09:48:54 PM
i am testing right now. the writing speeds are jumping up and down. just a readout bug?
Two things: First the buffer is divided in slots, therefore it jumps between the slots. Second the on screen display isn't always accurate. It refreshes every second, 'cause I need to slow down the LV Info to squeeze some more speed.

Quote from: Kharak on January 14, 2014, 10:12:36 PM
all in all! looks like a boost. But crop mode was terrible for me.
Global Draw LV Info is currently not ideal. The Top Bar collided with the Bottom Bar.

Quote from: Kharak on January 14, 2014, 11:21:18 PM
Btw, after recording and having GD off, it did not return. ...
Preview: Auto or Canon

Quote from: poromaa on January 14, 2014, 10:53:33 PM
mlv_rec seem to perform better than raw_rec? ...
raw_rec is still have an edge. You might take a look at the version of 24th Oktober.

Quote from: reddeercity on January 15, 2014, 05:25:33 AM
I Thing thou, When I formated my card in Camera I lost all magic lantern software plus raw files.
Had to reinstall all ML software on card including making card bootable. But that was in Crop mode,
There seems to be some tasks conflict.

@reddeercity
It's possible, but in this state I don't want to change too much code, cause of the compatibility.

Kharak

@a.d.

It was no biggey that the GD disappeared after recording, as I found a way to quickly make it reappear. By pushing Menu button and exiting again. The canon menu, not ML menu.

But tried out with Canon Preview and it worked, so I'll just stick to that.

And I forgot to say thank you for your and the rest of the teams, hard work. I pretty much always record in 2:20:1 (1872x850) and having continues recording with GD on and sound on is a blessing! so.. Thank youuu! :)

A few things to mention:

After recording stops, the blue light stays on until I shut off the camera. (only me?) Don't think this was the case yesterday when I first tried the build.

Also not always that I get white cropmark when I turn on my camera and I need to restart to get it back.

One thing I miss now, since MLV_snd module, is the beep when I hit record. Even though I've got it ON in Audio menu, there is no beep when I hit record. Its very helpful for syncing video with sound in editing.

Edit: Did in-camera format and Firmware update. That got cropmark back and everything was back to normal. After a couple of takes, the blue light started getting stuck again, but cropmark remained.

sebble

Quote from: a.d. on January 15, 2014, 08:48:42 PM
raw_rec is still have an edge. You might take a look at the version of 24th Oktober.

I'm shooting a music video in the next two weeks and really want to use magic lantern.
Do you think it'd be better using raw_rec from Oct 24th or the newest mlv_rec?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot so far.

Kharak

Quote from: sebble on January 15, 2014, 10:38:31 PM
I'm shooting a music video in the next two weeks and really want to use magic lantern.
Do you think it'd be better using raw_rec from Oct 24th or the newest mlv_rec?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot so far.

What aspect ratio are you aiming at?

What cards you got?

16:9 gets you half a min or more in Raw rec at max resolution with GD off.

If its a music video, I guess you wont be needing sound recording, so raw rec will do just fine but 2:20:1 is continues with GD on and sound in this MLV build (if you got the right card).

If you wanna go with Raw_rec, then 24th oct build is best one.

my 5 cents.

sebble

Quote from: Kharak on January 15, 2014, 10:47:27 PM
What aspect ratio are you aiming at?
What cards you got?
16:9 gets you half a min or more in Raw rec at max resolution with GD off.
If its a music video, I guess you wont be needing sound recording, so raw rec will do just fine but 2:20:1 is continues with GD on and sound in this MLV build (if you got the right card).
If you wanna go with Raw_rec, then 24th oct build is best one.
my 5 cents.

thanks for the input
we'll be using two lexar 1000x 32GB and are aiming at 1.85:1 or 2.39:1 aspect ratio
yes audio is not a big deal

dariSSight

Quote from: reddeercity on January 15, 2014, 05:25:33 AM
Testing the new Build for Jan.14/14
There is more improvement in performance write speed, plus stable crop marks though
hdmi devices. No crashes of any kind.
Here are my numbers: With HDMI Evf connected:
1872x938 23.976p continuous
Audio=on  48kHz
buffer=1
GD=off
Preview=Hacked no prev.
Crop Mode:
1856x1004 23.976p Continuous
buffer=0
No HDMI devices:
1856x1004 23.976p--3880, 3913, 2200, 1720 frames
Audio 48kHz
Preview=ML gray
Crop mode:
2048x930 23.976p 3987 frames
buffer 0
2048x872 23.976 continuous
preview= canon
Things are improving very well,
A.D. is possible to have the Raw record info out side the white Rectangle Crop Mark.
I record the Live View and the info is just inside on the low left, if that could be drop
to the bottom of the LV screen then I could record it cleanly without turning
All overlays off and keep the info while recording raw.  :)

I will install new update today, I was wondering how this build compares to the Oct 24, 2013 build? I will do some shooting for the next few days to setup for a project I will be streaming from my website.
Canon 5D Mark II

ted ramasola

Testing the last 2 MLV nightlies including the latest one from a.d., is it a current limitation for MLV raw with sound to stop at a little past 10 minutes?

I notice the buffer graphs seem to be managing it until past 10 minutes when it would say skip and recording would stop. tested different buffer methods at 1728 x 972 16:9.

35.9 gig seem to be the limit in my tests.(40859MB on the camera lcd )

Tested another resolution, 1728 x 864 and it went past 11 min but again it stops at 40918MB as indicated on the LV screen.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a.d.

@Kharak
GlDraw goes back is intended on Auto and Canon, 'cause other Preview is for HDMI Device.
I could reproduce the blue Led (same on nightly build): Global Draw On during Recording - Preview : Auto, Canon and HDMI. (fixed in the next release)

@sebble
The 2 cards need to be ML bootable and copy all the settings  ML>SETTINGS from one card to another.
2.35:1 // max Resolution 1880x800 // continuos OK
1.85:1 // max Resolution 1880x1016 // 1:30 to 3:00
Keep in mind 2:10min is already around 10000MB!

@ted
I don't have 64GB card so I couldn't help. I've just took a look at the code and they seems ok. Do you have a log file?
Right now, LV Info Top Bar and Bottom Bar is on my priority list.

reddeercity

Just did a quick test with MLV and audio again after a read Ted's post.
I did have a problem with recording.
1872x938 + audio + HDMI + headphones
Preview=hdmi
buffer=1
GD=off
9208 frames 26.8 GB then stop on my Lexar 1000x 64GB
Now this is where it get strange,  :o  I tried a smaller resolution
1856x928 + audio + HDMI + headphones
Preview=hdmi
buffer=1
GD=off
The Camera just stop recording after 40.7 GB & LV just froze up with the display
overlay, just like I pause the video.
press the start button and heard a beep then  a Red error message " Audio Failed To Stop State 4"
14216 Frames ,69.5MB/s ,125ms/idle

I'll test again without HDMI devices attached and see if I get the same error.

reddeercity

Ok no hdmi MLV + Audio Same problem,
1856x928 LV froze at about 40GB same error message "Audio Failed To Stop State 4"
Tried different setting 1872x850 buffer=0 ,1% idle, 15,426 frames, 40.9 GB  same thing.
So I tried one more test without Audio just MLV and it's not the Audio that's the issue
1872x938, mlv 14,024 frames ,  40,854 GB   , 127ms/idle  same froze LV no error message.
It dose  it with or without audio. I'll go back to a older build and see if its there too.  :)

Edit:
when back to the MLV nightly build from Jan 1st/14 and the Sound module from A.D. Jan 14th build
And Not problem recording. First without hdmi device, 1856x928, buffer 1, audio 44.1 ,full card 60GB (continuous)
Then with hdmi , I had to drop frame size a little to get continuous. 1856x844 with audio buffer 1 full card 60GB.

I think there maybe some problems with crop marks on this new build, I'm sure this will be fixed .

ted ramasola

@reddeercity

Which nightly did you go back to that goes more than 40gig? Its not clear in your post, Jan 1 or jan 14?

So you tested MLV_REC.mo from Jan 1 nightly with MLV_SND.mo Jan 14 from a.d and you get continuous more than 40 gig?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

reddeercity

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 17, 2014, 03:16:31 AM
@reddeercity

Which nightly did you go back to that goes more than 40gig? Its not clear in your post, Jan 1 or jan 14?

So you tested MLV_REC.mo from Jan 1 nightly with MLV_SND.mo Jan 14 from a.d and you get continuous more than 40 gig?
Sorry , I when back to the Jan 1st nightly build
http://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/5D2.212/157/artifact/platform/5D2.212/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Jan01.5D2212.zip
Yes I got continuous with the nightly Jan1st And sound from Jan14 . full card 60GB with or without hdmi but with hdmi a little smaller size
to keep continuous  as per my post. this was also with buffer at 1

ted ramasola

Ok, thanks I'll make a confirmation test to compare with your results.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Ok, so here's my tests in terms of filling up a 64gig card.
All tests run at 1728 x 972 16:9 all tests run with MLV SOUND ON.

5D mkII

Jan 16 nightly
   skip/stop at 10'7"  40,800MB (41 GB)

Jan 14 by a.d.
   skips/stops approx 10 min 40,859MB

Jan 8 nightly
   skip/stop at 10'6"  40,721 (41.4 GB)

Jan 6 nightly - MLV_REC + Jan 14 a.d. -MLV_SND
   OK CONTINUOUS FILLS UP CARD.

Jan 6 a.d. all modules.

Jan 6 a.d -MLV_REC + Jan 14 a.d. - MLV_SND, FILE_MAN, MLV_PLAY

For reference from 7D tests.

Jan 16 TL
   skips/stop at 10'11" 40,929MB (39.9 GB)

Jan 14 TL
   skips/stops 10'10"  40,907MB (39.9GB)

Jan 9 TL
   skips/stops 10'11" 40,929MB (39.9GB)

Jan 8 TL (incomplete audio features in Audio tab ML menu - did not run test)

Jan 7 TL

Jan 6 TL

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Kharak

@ted and @reddeercity

how does the camera feel and smell after such extensive testing?

most I've recorded was 30 gb and my camera was getting hot.