5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARP

Quote from: oddname on January 05, 2014, 05:36:50 PM
Is it just me having issues with the overlay dissappearing when recording, despite it isnt supposed too, then never returns until reset?
The framing etc is just gone, so dont really know where Im shooting.

I have the same issue with the latest build. Hope something can be done.

skatinkamel

I am having trouble finding the answer to this question with in the forum. If the answer is right in front of my face I apologize. I am trying to get my live view to display as it does by default in magic lantern with the exposure readings and the colors beside iso and shutter speed. Is there a way to do this when using this module? Thanks for the help

ted ramasola

for those having issues with overlays, framing guides and other info disappear when recording using MLV raw video. Go to MLV menu  and turn DISABLE G.DRAW to ON.

I know, its mislabeled and I was wracking my brains as I thought turning it on would do as it say, but it actually does the opposite and DOES NOT turn Gdraw off when it is ON.

Hope a developer can change this.  :)
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

dariSSight

Quote from: reddeercity on January 05, 2014, 11:37:32 PM
Here a short test with MLV+Audio on the nighty build form Jan.1st
with me talking and counting to Ten plus a short tutorial on how to setup
MLV with audio, on the 5D2  :)

Thanks for the Tutorial. Your only using the MLV-Rec and MLV-Snd module, Right?
Does it helps to limit the amount of module on the CF Card, I have the 32GB 1000x Lexar?
Canon 5D Mark II

reddeercity

@dariSSight
your welcome, yes that right  I just load modules for raw video.
I don't Do Photo's with my 5D2 just Video.
I don't think it matters one way or the other, just load them as you need them.
I like to keep thing very simple so I only load the Video modules. 

reddeercity

Quote from: silvertonesx24 on January 07, 2014, 12:28:09 AM
I tested the Dec 30 build with audio filming b camera for a live show for a friend- it seems to have come out OK, but the build is too buggy to use for any serious work- mostly that the global draw doesn't turn off and some recordings just stop instantly and require a camera reboot. Oct 24 is still the one to use, for professional paid work at least. Too many corrupted outputs on the new one, slower speeds, and random file stops for now for me to move to MLV.

Is it possible to use regular old raw with audio at some point?
Try the mlv_rec.mo from the nightly build it's a lot more stable. I use the mlv_snd.mo from A.D. build Dec.30/13 & the rest comes from Jan 1st nightly build.
I didn't find any issue with MLV, I always have hdmi evf connected , yes its a little slower but that will get better.
I don't need any overlays so maybe that why it works for me. My Evf has all the overlays etc.. that I need.
Just wondering what's is your CF card  what Frames size did you record in  & the buffer fill method.
On MLV format?

Kharak

Quote from: reddeercity on January 06, 2014, 06:00:58 PM
You should Ok , but I didn't check on a  2 channel Mic.
:)

Not sure if it was my mic or some setting, but set it to external stereo and found the volume to be very low compared to recording on internal.

Analog gaining added quite some noise. Digital... I just didn't wanna go there.

But alas, I am very grateful for just having sound now. For any shortfilm it will be extremely helpful with the internal mic for syncing too.

And I still need to learn how the different settings in the sound tab affects the sound. For instance Mic power ON lowers impedance ? not so sure what thats all about.

A new learning curve is growing :)
once you go raw you never go back

silvertonesx24

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 07, 2014, 02:16:49 AM
for those having issues with overlays, framing guides and other info disappear when recording using MLV raw video. Go to MLV menu  and turn DISABLE G.DRAW to ON.

I know, its mislabeled and I was wracking my brains as I thought turning it on would do as it say, but it actually does the opposite and DOES NOT turn Gdraw off when it is ON.

Hope a developer can change this.  :)

Nice find. I prefer global draw to be disabled while recording to squeeze every possible bit of speed and stability out of the camera. But when I toggle the option, global draw does indeed turn off when I start recording, but it does not toggle back on after I stop (I have to reboot the camera to get it back)

silvertonesx24

Quote from: reddeercity on January 07, 2014, 04:07:39 AM
Try the mlv_rec.mo from the nightly build it's a lot more stable. I use the mlv_snd.mo from A.D. build Dec.30/13 & the rest comes from Jan 1st nightly build.
I didn't find any issue with MLV, I always have hdmi evf connected , yes its a little slower but that will get better.
I don't need any overlays so maybe that why it works for me. My Evf has all the overlays etc.. that I need.
Just wondering what's is your CF card  what Frames size did you record in  & the buffer fill method.
On MLV format?

Yes- I have Komputerbay 64gb cards that will max out around 75MB/s or so. Aside from some annoying warm-up issues, they're generally very reliable. I record in 1856, 16:9. I dropped to 1728 1.85:1 halfway through the shoot though to get some more speed. I will try your suggestion for today's test shoot.

guentergunter

Here it is: my first movie that was entirely shoot RAW.
Beside the story and directing, I operated the camera completely myself. So, I got a feeling about how it is to go the RAW-way.

Enjoy:

The shooting time was around september last year with build 2013/09/04.
- 2.20:1
- 2 Lexar 1000x cards (32GB + 64GB)
- VAF-5D2b + several fixed ND filters
- I always tried to to exposure to the right (ETTR) as far as possible.

Also it was very time consuming to backup the cards after every 7 or 14 minutes of filming (backup took 20-40 minutes on my Laptop with external drive)
My six batteries were more than enough.
And I had no (real) problems with my two Lilliput HDMI-monitors.

I collected 1TB of just RAW-data and it several times took one complete day (!) to render the daily media (white ballenced and illumination corrected) via After Effects into ProRes4444 (witch I used to cut and grade, etc.).

On the other side: What came out is one hell of an amazing quality!!
It was absolute fun to do white ballence, grade, denoise, etc since there are no bandings and/or blocks from too much compression.

Just one thing:
Thanks to the ML-devs, I will definitely never ever have to shoot without RAW again!
Thanks!
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

a.d.

Quote from: bnvm on January 02, 2014, 08:22:58 PM
I have been using the newest build for a little while and have noticed a few things. Sometimes the recording will start go a few frames and then freeze up, the buffer no longer fills and the number of frames recorded stays the same but it acts like it is still recording. I stop the recording and go into the menu the MLV Raw menu shows stopping... but never does. I have to turn of the camera to get things working again.
I experienced the same thing, but It's hardly to reproduce. I still don't get a trace log.

Quote from: oddname on January 05, 2014, 05:36:50 PM
Is it just me having issues with the overlay dissappearing when recording, despite it isnt supposed too, then never returns until reset?
The framing etc is just gone, so dont really know where Im shooting.
fixed!

Quote from: andyshon on January 05, 2014, 06:32:46 PM
Some stuff shot in crop mode. ...
Beautiful always! I think that the crop mode is made for nature documentary.

@reddeercity
Thanks David! I added your tutorial on the first page.

@ted
I renamed it and now you could use Global Off during Recording with crop mark

@silvertonesx24
more Speed in next release!

@guentergunter
It looks promising. I'll watch your short film in the evening!

Kharak

Quote from: a.d. on January 08, 2014, 08:28:07 AM

@silvertonesx24
more Speed in next release!

I love the way you say "Speed"

ted ramasola

thanks for the fixes A.D. ! Much appreciated!
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

reddeercity

Thank A.D.
I always have fun making tutorials about ML  :)

jpleveillee

Hi A.D and other developers for the 5D2 Raw video :),

I am a programmer/videographer and interested to help with the 5D2 build for raw video.
I got my devel environment and source ready.

Is there a list of bugs or things to improve I can begin working on?

JP

jpleveillee

ted ramasola

The Jan 6 a.d. version seem to have issues with the preview> HDMI framing experiment. The screen blacks out for a few seconds after every take.

The Jan 10 build looks promising. Even with HDMI attached + Snd enabled. I'm still testing more resolutions and combinations.
So far:

With an ext mic via pre-amp attached and audio set L-int R-ext. And HDMI monitor attached.

1728 x 972 16:9 /buffering-4 = continuous and audio sync ok (nudge audio track back 2 frames).

1856 x 928 2:1 /buffering-4 = continuous and audio sync ok (nudge audio track back 2 frames).

@A1ex,

Is it possible to make buffer graph option to work? even at OFF the buffering graphics is still on screen.
It is useful during testing but sometimes during serious work it gets in the way of framing. a.d.'s jan 6 build does not show the buffering by default but can be toggled on and off.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

Of course it's possible, but these days I'm just giving a chance for novice developers to get started.

a.d.

@guentergunter
great movie and I really enjoyed your film. My favourite character is Konrad 'caused of his dialect "Grummbeer". ;) I also like the backyard setup of the business man: Roman Venus, neo-classicism and the French formal garden => cliché! ;D
btw You are quite talented in story telling!

@jpleveillee
Thanks! Just create an account at bitbucket and give me a note!

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 12, 2014, 07:31:37 AM
The Jan 6 a.d. version seem to have issues with the preview> HDMI framing experiment. The screen blacks out for a few seconds after every take.
There is bug Global Draw doesn't go back after recording, so I need to refresh the LV! Hmm... maybe I'll do it only in "Preview: Canon"

ted ramasola

I was doing some tests on sound sync and I loaded SND.mo and saw the meters come on upon checking my footage I was surprised not to see a WAV file,
I checked my cam and saw I missed turning MLV sound to ON in ML menu, - I see potential for trouble here when using this in a shoot.

Can devs tweak this to put safety nets?

Like, If MLV sound is not ON then Vu meters should not be active?

Or, you should not hear anything on your headphones when MLV sound is OFF.

or, when SND module is loaded, this should automatically turn ON MLV Sound by Default.

There is just too many "buttons to push" that the probability for error is high.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

guentergunter

Quote from: a.d. on January 12, 2014, 08:58:05 PM
@guentergunter
great movie and I really enjoyed your film. My favourite character is Konrad 'caused of his dialect "Grummbeer". ;) I also like the backyard setup of the business man: Roman Venus, neo-classicism and the French formal garden => cliché! ;D
btw You are quite talented in story telling!

Thank you very much! I tried to realize and implement as much of what I know about film as possible (only limited by time and costs).
So, I'm glad you enjoyed it  8)
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

xNiNELiVES

Glad to see you guys continuing to develop ML. Keep it up.

Kharak

oooooooh new release!! :)

*installing*

edit:

First thing I noticed is that the white framing box is a little to the left. The left side of the white border disappears in to the end of the LCD, but is visible on the right side.

Just me? 

Now to test speed!

ch_d

Quote from: Kharak on January 14, 2014, 09:36:44 PM
oooooooh new release!! :)

*installing*

edit:

First I thing I noticed is that the white framing box is a little to the left. The left side of the white border disappears in to the end of the LCD, but is visible on the right side.

Just me? 

Now to test speed!

i am testing right now. the writing speeds are jumping up and down. just a readout bug?
5D MII