5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kharak

Quote from: piloui on January 24, 2014, 06:07:06 PM
Can't get a clear answer to this : does raw video + dual iso doable with 5D2 please ? My dual iso seems to be greyed out on live view and only active on photo mode.
Thanks and long live ML !

No, Dual Iso Video is not possible on 5dmkii but Photo mode is
once you go raw you never go back

Canon eos m

How is this possible:

Adobe: What was your workflow strategy and which cameras did you use?

Lowe: The film is made up of very high-res, IMAX-quality timelapse raw files. I shot the majority of the film in 5.6K on Canon 5D Mark II but I knew I couldn't do the whole film in timelapse. I needed 40% of the film to be beautiful slow-motion shots, and shooting 4K and 5K on RED cameras was the answer.

And I wanted to finish the film at 4K resolution. When I started two or three years ago, people said I was completely nuts. It wasn't possible to finish at 4K. It wasn't necessary, and so on. But I knew that if I was going to spend that much time in the field, I had to finish it in 4K.

Tow Lowe's full interview on: http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/01/tom-lowe-breaks-technological-and-creative-bounds-with-timescapes.html
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

bnvm

It was time lapse footage, he shot raw photos, cr2, and made a movie from that. There is no way it could be raw video.

Canon eos m

Quote from: bnvm on January 24, 2014, 10:12:29 PM
It was time lapse footage, he shot raw photos, cr2, and made a movie from that. There is no way it could be raw video.
:o
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Kharak

Quote from: Canon eos m on January 19, 2014, 09:38:34 AM
Folks, did you notice that files processed as a RAW + WMV package on the MLV Browser are more noiser after DNG conversion than files that are directly DNG + WMV! Or, is it just me?

I tested it and I do not see any difference.

It might be your mlv/raw converter that does not handle both aswell. What converter are you using?

ted ramasola

Tested the Jan 25 Nightly and heres my test.

With MOVIE RESTART=ON MLV raw video will not stop recording. If you press SET to stop, it will start by itself.
This issue is not present with older builds like the Jan 6th NB and by a.d.
This is suppose to be active in H264 recording and should not have an effect in Raw recording.

HDMI MONITORING TEST
Tested playback functionality.
Immediately after recording a raw clip, I went to File manager> view mlv file.
Playback of COLOR or FAST was possible and it showed on HDMI monitor.
However after EXIT of mlv playback screen went Black and no function possible.
Had to remove battery to reboot camera.
On Older build using Jan 6 nB or A.D. Playback was possible and EXIT from playback was OK,
liveview came back and additional recording was possible.

CAPACITY BEYOND 40GIG TEST
Jan 25 Nightly build will still skip and stop approx, 39GB (Canon menu), 35.9GB (PC properties, 38,582,760,448 bytes)
The Jan 6 NB and by A.D. does not have this issue and will record till your CF card is full.
NBs after Jan 6 up to the 25th will Stop at approx that size or around 10minutes.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Canon eos m

Ted, also to add if the raw video is taken when the sd card is the preferred card, the camera hangs. This is technically a glitch.

While I understand you can set your preference and all but I am sure there is a programming way to prevent the sd card from leading when it clearly is not meant to.

My take is that it will discourage mass adoption of the ML platform small things like these are not addressed. Pretty much like texting changed for ever when predictive texting was introduced.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Canon eos m on January 26, 2014, 05:56:12 AM
Ted, also to add if the raw video is taken when the sd card is the preferred card, the camera hangs. This is technically a glitch.

This is a 5DmkIII specific issue then. Considering the devs maintaining this thread is focused more on the MkII, And there are others on the mkIII and others on the MLV module also, I duplicated this report on the MLV2.0 thread as well. Perhaps you should also post it there.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg98039;topicseen#msg98039
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

philostory

Quote from: reddeercity on December 28, 2013, 12:57:14 AM
Hello, You are close but that's not the one I use
I use the one From A.D.'s Special Hack build for the 5D2
It the one with the disclaimer about Hot pixels .
This build is a lot faster then the vanilla (plane Jane) build that you are referring to.
Go to the first link read the disclaimer about hot pixels, (I don't think too many people even have this problem)
Then go to the second link, with the Oct 24th build.
Link below
https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/laboratory/wiki/Home
https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/laboratory/downloads/af9a60fe144d.zip
There is also better hdmi support with A.D.'s Hack Build which is very
critical for backup thought a hdmi recorder on paid jobs. (I use a Ninja hdmi recorder).
I always get about 15-20% more performance but on Lexar 1000x cards only,
I'm not sure if the Komputerbay 1000x cards are as fast, I have heard there is problems with them.
I hope this info helps, ;)

PS. I have being only using A.D. hack builds since June of this year
and never had a problem once !

Damn it!!
Hot pixel problem....
I shoot with the Oct 24th build (Trancend 1000x 32gb) then hot pixel or green dot whatever it calls occurred to me..

I did sensor cleaning like this forum said
Step 1 Detach the lens from your Canon camera and use the cap
Step 2 Turn your camera on. Go to the menu and select "Sensor cleaning" under the utilities menu.
Step 3 Turn the dial to select "Clean manually" under the sensor cleaning option.
Step 4 Turn the dial to select "OK" and then press the "Set" button. The mirror will lock up and the shutter will open. Allow the shutter to remain open for at least 30 seconds.
Step 5 Turn your camera off and reattach the lens. Take a few test shots to see if the problem has been corrected. In most cases the red or white pixel will no longer be a problem because your camera has been remapped
If it does not help the first time, then change the ISO settings and try again.

But it didn't help.
togg says that you can use pencil correction on ACR. so there's no problem. Someone got helped from it.
What does pencil correction on ACR exactly mean??
What's ACR stand for??

Many people do not have this problem cuz different CF card they use or any solution for this?
If anyone fix this problem, please let me know
Thank you.

Kharak

Quote from: philostory on January 26, 2014, 09:59:40 AM
Damn it!!
Hot pixel problem....
I shoot with the Oct 24th build (Trancend 1000x 32gb) then hot pixel or green dot whatever it calls occurred to me..

I did sensor cleaning like this forum said
Step 1 Detach the lens from your Canon camera and use the cap
Step 2 Turn your camera on. Go to the menu and select "Sensor cleaning" under the utilities menu.
Step 3 Turn the dial to select "Clean manually" under the sensor cleaning option.
Step 4 Turn the dial to select "OK" and then press the "Set" button. The mirror will lock up and the shutter will open. Allow the shutter to remain open for at least 30 seconds.
Step 5 Turn your camera off and reattach the lens. Take a few test shots to see if the problem has been corrected. In most cases the red or white pixel will no longer be a problem because your camera has been remapped
If it does not help the first time, then change the ISO settings and try again.

But it didn't help.
togg says that you can use pencil correction on ACR. so there's no problem. Someone got helped from it.
What does pencil correction on ACR exactly mean??
What's ACR stand for??

Many people do not have this problem cuz different CF card they use or any solution for this?
If anyone fix this problem, please let me know
Thank you.

Hot pixels do not have anything to do with CF card. Its the sensor.

ACR stands for Adobe Camera Raw. If you have After Effects and import a DNG sequence then ACR will automatically open with the first DNG image of your sequence.

The Pen tool, is basically a "corrector", you place a point on the hot pixel and choose another spot, if possible, right beside the hot pixel and then ACR will make the hot pixel area "disappear" and look like the other spot.

This will most likely have to be done frame by frame, which is a very time demanding job, but it gets rid of the problem.

sorry hungover

philostory

Quote from: Kharak on January 26, 2014, 07:28:10 PM
Hot pixels do not have anything to do with CF card. Its the sensor.

ACR stands for Adobe Camera Raw. If you have After Effects and import a DNG sequence then ACR will automatically open with the first DNG image of your sequence.

The Pen tool, is basically a "corrector", you place a point on the hot pixel and choose another spot, if possible, right beside the hot pixel and then ACR will make the hot pixel area "disappear" and look like the other spot.

This will most likely have to be done frame by frame, which is a very time demanding job, but it gets rid of the problem.

sorry hungover

Thank you for details about hot pixel but...
That's the only way I can fix it??

Does anyone solve this problem without retouching one by one??

Thanx

Doyle4

Been away a few months and come back to see the build has leaped, im on 24th Oct build, is latest build worth moving too? really like 24th oct :)

Cheers!

ted ramasola

jan 6th, a.d. will give you stable MLV recording with sound and can fill up your CF card.

The ones after 6th up to latest jan 26th? has issues and will stop at 40gig or 10min.

You can also view via HDMI (GD off) and preview using file man on hdmi.

If you remove hdmi monitor, reboot camera to restore live view.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

dariSSight

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 28, 2014, 12:36:35 AM
jan 6th, a.d. will give you stable MLV recording with sound and can fill up your CF card.

The ones after 6th up to latest jan 26th? has issues and will stop at 40gig or 10min.

You can also view via HDMI (GD off) and preview using file man on hdmi.

If you remove hdmi monitor, reboot camera to restore live view.

I will shoot some commentary video today,  I'm planning to shoot with the MLV. So MLV is just as much the .RAW file but it's with more organization with metadata and easy viewer format for Exclusivity to Magic Lantern?
Canon 5D Mark II

bnvm

Yes MLV is magic lanterns own format but the raw video is the same as it was in the older raw format. MLV has more meta data, audio, card spanning on the MKIII, etc... However I would say that MLV is not a stable as raw, I am running into some little bugs like the camera hanging, missing frames in the middle of a sequence, audio that is shorter than its video, and recently I had 14 GB worth of video clips that had no audio at all, probably 20 different shots all on one card. At this point I would be hesitant to use it for paid work.

ted ramasola

Quote from: bnvm on January 28, 2014, 06:43:58 PM
I am running into some little bugs like the camera hanging, missing frames in the middle of a sequence, audio that is shorter than its video, and recently I had 14 GB worth of video clips that had no audio at all, probably 20 different shots all on one card.

On the mkII? What MLV version did you use that you experience this? What settings did you use, like resolution etc?
I'm trying to compile the report to devs on the nightly builds having problems.
As I posted earlier, jan 6 is stable on my tests.

It doesnt help just saying its not stable without a specific report on what build and settings you use.
I also experienced having shots without audio, but I realized it was my fault having failed to turn on MLV Sound in the menu.

I suggested devs turn off the audio meters when MLV_snd.mo not turned ON so it gives the user a hint.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

reddeercity

He (bnvm) must be talking of the 5d3 , I don't see these issue on my 5d2 with mlv+audio
on nb build Jan1st plus sound from Jan14th.
Its rock solid , just I bit slow  :)

Doyle4

Cheers guys! will test some firmwares soon :)

ted ramasola

let me update my tests results so devs can also narrow down any fixes and users know what to use.

You can use a.d build Jan 14 for everything EXCEPT MLV_REC.MO

Use a.d. build Jan 6 for MLV-REC.MO  only. (later builds of mlv_rec.mo will stop at 10 min/40gig)

The Jan 14 build has fixed issues in playing back MLV files in-camera like when playing back a mlv file you get  "building index" freeze/lock up.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

bnvm

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 28, 2014, 06:54:04 PM
On the mkII? What MLV version did you use that you experience this? What settings did you use, like resolution etc?
I'm trying to compile the report to devs on the nightly builds having problems.
As I posted earlier, jan 6 is stable on my tests.

It doesnt help just saying its not stable without a specific report on what build and settings you use.
I also experienced having shots without audio, but I realized it was my fault having failed to turn on MLV Sound in the menu.

I suggested devs turn off the audio meters when MLV_snd.mo not turned ON so it gives the user a hint.

I am using the Jan 14th build from a.d. I have experienced all of these except for the audio problems on earlier builds including the nightlies. So far these occurrences seem very random and fairly rare, I cannot pinpoint any specific trigger. I have filed some bug reports but I have no idea how to reproduce any of them. I am shooting either 1728 x 1036 or 1728 x 934 at 23.976 (no fps override), I have global draw on with digic focus peaking and magic zoom enabled. I believe I was using buffer fill method 2. Also all of the missing audio clips were from one card which had no audio on any shot, when I switched to a different card the remaining shots all had their audio.

One unrelated question does MLV audio work with FPS override enabled? I tried it when I first switched and it didn't buy I may have done something wrong.

reddeercity

I always have fps override enable at all Times .
I use NB Jan 1 & sound from A.d. Jan 14
And global draw  off when recording mlv+audio
But I use hdmi, Evf 1856x928 2:1 23.976p fps
My buffer is set to 1, I have notice that , 0 or 1
Seemed to be the fastest 2-4 stop recording after
A minute or less.
:)

mageye

Quote from: bnvm on January 29, 2014, 05:20:47 PM
One unrelated question does MLV audio work with FPS override enabled? I tried it when I first switched and it didn't buy I may have done something wrong.

I use FPS override all the time too. What happens, for some unknown reason, is that the live level metering doesn't work in that mode. I can assure you though that it will still record the audio, just without being able to see the recording levels.

It's an annoyance, I know but; it will record. I am sure that some time this will be resolved. (hopefully anyway!) ;) :D
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

ted ramasola

While its ok NOW to use FPS override when using MLV since WAV is still recorded, its also ok NOT to use FPS over ride if;

Your shooting in 1X normal mode at 24fps in the canon menu. (fps override not needed)

USE FPS Over ride only if your using 3X crop mode since canon defaults to 30 fps so ML can overide this by setting 23.976 or 24 in FPS override function.

I've tested several times filling up 64gig cf with slated (head and tail) 15min(approx) footage to see if there is drift in sound and I see none even with no fps override.

Additional resolutions Ive tested that works with MLV+Sound are.

1856 x 928 2:1
Buffer-4 / With HDMI mntor / ext mic / headphones : Continuous till card full

1728 x 972 16:9
Buffer-4 / With HDMI mntor / ext mic / headphones : Continuous till card full

1728 x 1036 5:3 is not reliable using buff- 1 or 4
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

mageye

I have my Live View/Movie func. set. set to 1920x1080 @24

I turned my FPS override off and it sets the recording at 23.976. I can't work at that FPS.

Recording at 1872x1054

So what's happening there?
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

ted ramasola

in normal mode? or crop mode?
The 5D does not do 1920 x 1080 in normal mode.
Widest is 1872.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas