Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squig

Great news on that damned pink frames bug. I spent 2 days last week trying to find a firmware conflict  :'(

a1ex

Can you confirm the fix as well? It's not something I could test, so I'm relying 100% on user feedback.

a1ex

Here's another mlv_rec.mo for you to try:

mlv_rec.mo

This works only on current nightly builds, not on the 2015 ones.

Looks like g3gg0 provided a way to disable his change about debug logging, and the second module does just that, without throwing away the change completely. So, if it works, I prefer including this one in the nightly builds.

squig

Apr3 1.2.3 build: 992x596 60p (exact FPS) 3x3 crop, (latest) mlv_rec, mlv_snd & crop_rec loaded, GD (raw histo) on, 180 degree shutter. Recorded 19x 10sec shots. Toshiba 1066x 64GB. No bad frames.

Only issue is a "hack error at 0" message on record start.

a1ex

Well, the module is for 1.1.3, that's why you get "hack error".

- Which of the two modified mlv_rec.mo you tested? (I assume the one from post #677, but I'm not sure)
- Can you record past 40GB?
- Do you get pink frames with mlv_rec.mo from the 2015Mar02 zip (posted above) in the same conditions?

squig

Yeah I figured that.

Tested #677. I haven't tested Mar2/15 but I'm running the same tests I did here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5473.msg165309#msg165309 If the bug was still present I should've seen it by now. Haven't tried 40Gb, I'll give it a shot.

Danne

Did some testing over here.
Finally managed to produce pink frames with my 5D mark III firmware 1.1.3. (MLV)
On latest april 1st 2016 nightly build I can reproduce pink frames every time. Camera set on 60fps 720p mode. Always happen when focus peaking is on. With focus peaking off and other default global draw settings to "allow" I don,t get the pink frames. (needs more testing).

Next I tried this build (MLV)
magiclantern-Nightly.2015Mar02.5D3113.zip (e8cc6e5)
I managed to get ONE single pink frame with 60fps 720p mode default global draw settings plus focus peaking on. Ran maybe 7-8 recordings. All stopped after around 200 frames

Next I put in the this mlv_rec.mo #672 ("If - and only if - the answer to both questions is a solid "yes", can you check this mlv_rec.mo") in the Nightly.2015Mar02.5D3113.zip (e8cc6e5) and run the same tests again. About ten recordings not a single bad pinkish frame on any of the files.

COuldn,t try the latest mlv_rec.mo #677(missing symbols, fonts etc giving module error with e8cc6e5 build. Maybe it,s for 1.2.3 build)

Can,t really dig in more to this at the moment but feels really nice seeing this being narrowed down. Great work.

squig

beauchampy

Quote from: a1ex on April 10, 2016, 07:54:08 AM
You uploaded two corrupted clips. I couldn't download them (I get to a page that says "Trotzdem herunterladen", and clicking it just reloads the page); can you (or someone else) convert them with mlv_dump? Do you get pink frames?

I can confirm the pink frames are still present after converting with mlv_dump on those particular clips.

Quote from: a1ex on April 10, 2016, 08:57:48 AM
Here's another mlv_rec.mo for you to try:

mlv_rec.mo

Looks like g3gg0 provided a way to disable his change about debug logging, and the second module does just that, without throwing away the change completely. So, if it works, I prefer including this one in the nightly builds.

Just ran the same test using this module.

Test 5:
FW: magiclantern-Nightly.2016Apr01.5D3113 w/ mlv_rec.mo - debug logging disabled.
BAD: 0
GOOD: 20
PASS  :D

40GB Test: PASS

Quote from: Danne on April 10, 2016, 10:57:04 AM
Next I tried this build (MLV)
magiclantern-Nightly.2015Mar02.5D3113.zip (e8cc6e5)
I managed to get ONE single pink frame with 60fps 720p mode default global draw settings plus focus peaking on. Ran maybe 7-8 recordings. All stopped after around 200 frames

7-8 clips isn't a conclusive test. I find that on a bad build you can get lucky and have 10+ good clips in a 20 clip test. Please run again with more clips. 16 would be good.

a1ex

Quote from: Danne on April 10, 2016, 10:57:04 AM
COuldn,t try the latest mlv_rec.mo #677(missing symbols, fonts etc giving module error with e8cc6e5 build.

Right, this one only works on current nightlies. It's for 1.1.3, and gives hack error on 1.2.3 (with a small performance penalty as well).

Quote from: beauchampy on April 10, 2016, 12:07:43 PM
Test 5:
FW: magiclantern-Nightly.2016Apr01.5D3113 w/ mlv_rec.mo - debug logging disabled.
BAD: 0
GOOD: 20
PASS  :D

40GB Test: PASS

Yay! Commited the change and included it (among with some other minor fixes) in this pull request:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/698/raw-recording-fixes-both-raw-and-mlv/diff

squig

Woohoo!

Good timing too. I'm just about to shoot a crowdfunding trailer for my feature.

Thx a1ex. 3x3 crop anamorphic looks great @ 2K.

beauchampy

Quote from: squig on April 10, 2016, 01:03:22 PM
Woohoo!

Good timing too. I'm just about to shoot a crowdfunding trailer for my feature.

Thx a1ex. 3x3 crop anamorphic looks great @ 2K.

Tell me about it, I'm jumping on a plane to Panama in 2 days to shoot a BTS for a well known international music artist.. Gonna be road testing this hard.

A1ex - I use 1.2.3 from time to time for interviews where I need a backup from the HDMI. Should I just wait a few days on a nightly for a 1.2.3 fix?

squig

It seems to work fine with 1.2.3, but I haven't tried it with an external monitor yet.

g3gg0

If you lower the write rate a bit, will the debug build work without pink frames?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

squig

g3gg0

Okay thanks! Do you have the log of two sample files, good and bad?

Use mlv_dump -v file.mlv > log.txt
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

beauchampy

Quote from: g3gg0 on April 11, 2016, 08:08:56 AM
Okay thanks! Do you have the log of two sample files, good and bad?

Use mlv_dump -v file.mlv > log.txt

Give me a couple hours and I'll do this for a bad clip on the April 01 2016 Nightly VS the same build but with the replaced mlv_rec module.

EDIT: Here's the log files. log_bad.txt is from a bad clip with pink frames, log_good.txt is from a clip recorded with the debugging disabled.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-GY59oq1k7eN3o2OFVBajJtZ0E&usp=sharing

EDIT2: If it makes any difference here are some frame numbers that were bad: 215, 216, 382

beauchampy

Just shot nearly 2TB of MLV over 2 days in Panama. Not a single corrupt frame on 113 + a1ex's modified mlv_rec module in 23.976 and 50p with audio and GD on.

hjfilmspeed

CineRAW

CineRAW

@beauchampy What do you mean by modified? Is there a thread here in the forum I can start reading about how to "modify"? Or is this something you are doing independently? Thanks for all your help!

beauchampy

Quote from: CineRAW on April 26, 2016, 04:51:47 PM
@beauchampy What do you mean by modified? Is there a thread here in the forum I can start reading about how to "modify"? Or is this something you are doing independently? Thanks for all your help!

a1ex modified mlv_rec to disable the logging. It seems to have fixed the pink frames issue. The link to the modified module is in my previous post. Just replace it in your modules folder.

Not sure if this is reflected in the nightlies yet.

johannsebastianbach

Quote from: a1ex on April 10, 2016, 12:11:18 PM
Right, this one only works on current nightlies. It's for 1.1.3, and gives hack error on 1.2.3 (with a small performance penalty as well).

Yay! Commited the change and included it (among with some other minor fixes) in this pull request:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/698/raw-recording-fixes-both-raw-and-mlv/diff

I would like to test the modified mlv_rec.mo too, but your dropbox link doesn't work anymore. Or is it already in the nightly builds (could not find it in the changeset informations)?

Another question: Is it normal, that Global Draw doesnt work in 60fps-mode when a external monitor is plugged in? 5D3113