Current raw recording modules

Started by Audionut, September 18, 2018, 06:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

Good one, new topic for raw video.

To new users I would say:
Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)                            = The old and not in development anymore module needed for raw recording.
MLV Lite                                                                                              = The current and in development module needed for raw recording.
Crop mode recording (crop_rec.mo) (1:1, RAW/H.264, 25/30/50/60 fps)  = This is more like an add-on module for MLV_Lite(or old MLV_rec.module), to give more options. But can also be used without MLV_Lite or MLV_rec module for standard Canon h.264 compression.
crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView               = This is an add-on module for MLV_Lite(or old MLV_rec.module), to give more options. Can't be run without MLV_Lite or MLV_rec module. This one is more experimental then the above add-on.
Can be run without MLV_Lite or MLV_rec module, but with limitations (see post below from Bouncyball)

bouncyball

Last one actually can be used w/o raw recording active. You just can't go above 1920x1080 resolution and record sane h264 and preview also gonna be broken for other than 1920x1080 mode.

Levas

Didn't know that, I always thought if liveview is a mess, H.264 is gonna be a mess.

a1ex

Quote from: Levas on September 19, 2018, 05:43:26 PM
I always thought if liveview is a mess, H.264 is gonna be a mess.

That's correct.

However, as long as crop_rec does not change image size, and just updates binning factors and image capture position on the sensor, the preview will be alright and H.264 will work just as well. On 5D3, that's exactly what the simplest preset does (CROP_PRESET_3X in the "old" source).

togg

Nice new topic, thanks

Quote from: Levas on September 18, 2018, 07:57:29 PM

So would you say the new MLV Lite is more stable than the old 2.0 module? Stability is one of the main feature for me, I'm still getting some corrupted frame or missing audio from time to time with 2.0
Also can MLV Lite record audio now? I feel like I had read something about it in the past.

Levas

The '4K raw video recording; lossless compression' builds on the 'experiment' page from downloadtab do have a MLV_Lite version with audio option.
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

Audio recording option is now within the raw video menu, instead of the extra tab used in older builds. You still need to enable MLV_SND module.

Not sure which one is more stable ?
I use MLV_Lite with audio for a long time now, never had any issues.
I do have sometimes 2 corrupted frames at the start of a recording, when using crop_rec module in combination with MLV_Lite, but never saw any corrupted frames in the middle of a clip.

togg

Quote from: Levas on September 19, 2018, 11:23:33 PM
The '4K raw video recording; lossless compression' builds on the 'experiment' page from downloadtab do have a MLV_Lite version with audio option.
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

Audio recording option is now within the raw video menu, instead of the extra tab used in older builds. You still need to enable MLV_SND module.

Not sure which one is more stable ?
I use MLV_Lite with audio for a long time now, never had any issues.
I do have sometimes 2 corrupted frames at the start of a recording, when using crop_rec module in combination with MLV_Lite, but never saw any corrupted frames in the middle of a clip.

Ok perfect, thanks, that is already more stable that my very recent experience with 2.0.

Blop_da_pop

Hi all, just a quickie - when shooting raw, does ML code come over your preview screen? Mine does, just wondering how you turn it off? Cheers

Milk and Coffee

It was my understanding that MLV2.0 was the current/supported raw module?

Also when recording raw, picture styles don't affect the mlv raw data right? I can crank up sharpness without it affecting mlv raw?

Also, when using zebras, is it referencing RAW sensor data? Or is it referencing the current picture style?
Canon 5D Mark II, Mac/OSX

Milk and Coffee

Quote from: Levas on September 18, 2018, 07:57:29 PM

Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo)                            = The old and not in development anymore module needed for raw recording.
MLV Lite                                                                                              = The current and in development module needed for raw recording.
Crop mode recording (crop_rec.mo) (1:1, RAW/H.264, 25/30/50/60 fps)  = This is more like an add-on module for MLV_Lite(or old MLV_rec.module), to give more options. But can also be used without MLV_Lite or MLV_rec module for standard Canon h.264 compression.
crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView               = This is an add-on module for MLV_Lite(or old MLV_rec.module), to give more options. Can't be run without MLV_Lite or MLV_rec module. This one is more experimental then the above add-on.
Can be run without MLV_Lite or MLV_rec module, but with limitations (see post below from Bouncyball)

I'm confused. I thought MLV_Rec is the module in current development, and MLV Lite has been superseded by MLV_Rec?

Walter Schulz

Milk and Coffee

Does MLV Lite support 10 and 12bit recording?

Walter Schulz

Milk and Coffee

Thanks Walter! Are u using a nightly build?

Walter Schulz

Please make use of available info! You will find this string in nightly build download page
QuoteFor recent features like Lua scripting, raw recording at 2K/3K/4K/10-bit/12-bit/LJ92/etc, please try the experimental builds (and report back!)

adamsmith104064

I'm having some issues with prores files converted from sequences larger than 4,3GB. I read somewhere that it was possible to drag and drop.RAW and.R00 files directly into rawtodng, but it doesn't work for me, so I first join them using terminal as described here on other topics, and then convert the resulting.RAW file. Converting it to.dng appears to work well (with the exception of a pink image on the last frame), but the prores file does not appear to work. I'm doing this on a Mac running OS X Mavericks. I'm currently doing some intense work with a 50D and a large amount of footage, so I need the simplest solution possible to have prores files. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you from the Devops Service Providers