Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Whoa I am digging this new HDR feature BIG time...

Thanks so much @masc for inspiring all of us!

Hoping to use this while in crop_rec @ 48p.......
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

geroinnn

Has anyone managed to connect a monitor via HDMI and record video without distortion? One person wrote that he managed to get rid of the green bars when recording video in RAW, when he reduced the monitor resolution to 480p. Please share your experience .

Dutchflyingpilot

Hi, Yes!
Check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gQnf05Pmu4

In short: Whatever monitor you use, make sure you can set it to accept 480p/60hz and/or set it to 'Camera Mode',
otherwise you'll end up with a badly synced 1080p image (flickering) and distorted recordings.
The problem lies in the synchronisation of the HDMI ports; both 'resolutions' have to match for the camera and monitor to work properly.

alzubi

Quote from: Dutchflyingpilot on March 07, 2019, 01:18:36 AM
The problem lies in the synchronisation of the HDMI ports; both 'resolutions' have to match for the camera and monitor to work properly.

Is there any possible way to fix the sync issue so that other monitors would work or are we just sol? I wouldn't mind putting time and money to get it working, just not sure if this is something to be fixed with software.

Also why is this a raw specific issue? Monitor use with non raw footage works great but once raw is disabled the footage becomes choppy and purple frames.

gravitatemediagroup

Has anybody else noticed or experienced, after installing a new build (specifically in the past week or so), upon first boot of the camera, you can record without crop in a resolution that is very close to 1080, (1800x1032) but after that take, the liveview gets messed up, until you magnify to 5x crop and then it will record in the 2.5K resolution, but all of this happens without making any settings changes in the ML menu.  If this could be a permanent setting without the screen glitch...that would be the most perfect build in my opinion  8)

Danne

Please upload a MLV file which recorded uncropped in this resolution. The resolution you mention is only working with Movie crop mode(x3crop) without rewired preset applied. This resolution can probably be starting point also with rewired preset on when starting cam but push canon menu to get into correct mode.
If you managed to record in non cropped mode you need to inspect the actual file recorded. Proof.

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: Danne on March 07, 2019, 09:42:36 AM
Please upload a MLV file which recorded uncropped in this resolution. The resolution you mention is only working with Movie crop mode(x3crop) without rewired preset applied. This resolution can probably be starting point also with rewired preset on when starting cam but push canon menu to get into correct mode.
If you managed to record in non cropped mode you need to inspect the actual file recorded. Proof.

This has happened about 3 times now, I purposely tried to test it with most recent build but it didn't happen, so i may install the previous build to see if it happens with it.

Also, I've lost sound in the past few builds, whereas before it was flawless.  Sound setting is enabled.

gravitatemediagroup

I need the build from March 6th to test and hopefully able to duplicate, but don't see it on the bitbucket page, do you happen to still have that build handy?

Danne

I need a shortened MLV not a screengrab.
Todays build and march 6th are identical except for a few hdr changes.
About loosing audio. I need more info and more repetitive patterns to reproduce. You donĀ“t mention settings used etc.

geroinnn

Quote from: Dutchflyingpilot on March 07, 2019, 01:18:36 AM
Hi, Yes!
Check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gQnf05Pmu4

In short: Whatever monitor you use, make sure you can set it to accept 480p/60hz and/or set it to 'Camera Mode',
otherwise you'll end up with a badly synced 1080p image (flickering) and distorted recordings.
Yep, I watched this video
I would like to know about similar experience with other displays: any monitor capable of transmitting an image at 480p / 60Ghz is suitable or is it better not to take the risk and take the Feelworld F570, since there is already a positive experience of use?

Quote from: alzubi on March 07, 2019, 02:30:20 AM
Is there any possible way to fix the sync issue so that other monitors would work or are we just sol? I wouldn't mind putting time and money to get it working, just not sure if this is something to be fixed with software.

Also why is this a raw specific issue? Monitor use with non raw footage works great but once raw is disabled the footage becomes choppy and purple frames.
I also do not mind sponsoring this idea if it is solved programmatically. I think that many will be interested in this option.

P.s.
Is nobody else using an external monitor on this camera?

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Autofocusing during filming should now work. If it affects recording times needs to be checked so feedback welcome:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3064.msg213120#msg213120

EDIT:
Back to set to af off for defaults. Enable af on in small_hacks sub menu in RAW video section.

Pacerx999

Quote from: geroinnn on March 07, 2019, 11:42:26 AM
P.s.
Is nobody else using an external monitor on this camera?

So I'm a couple of versions out of date (using crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Feb25.EOSM202)

But re: using an external monitor, and checking for corruption. I used the eos m with an Atomos Ninja Assasin (https://www.atomos.com/ninja-assassin) and it worked for displaying the signal and allowing for easier focus. No weird flickering etc etc. It still appeared to be a 480p signal, but I couldn't verify using the monitor as it was only a quick test.

Also, if I turned off Global draw the signal was clean enough to use the focus peaking in built into the monitor

For reference i was on the MCM rewire preset.

On checking the file, no corrupt frames. To be honest, it was probably the nicest footage I shot as I wasn't hunting for focus on a tiny screen.

I would assume the reason not many are using external monitors is because the monitor probably costs as much if not more than the EOS M.

Anyway, on to play with the latest build!

geroinnn

Quote from: Pacerx999 on March 08, 2019, 01:28:02 PM
So I'm a couple of versions out of date (using crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Feb25.EOSM202)

But re: using an external monitor, and checking for corruption. I used the eos m with an Atomos Ninja Assasin (https://www.atomos.com/ninja-assassin) and it worked for displaying the signal and allowing for easier focus. No weird flickering etc etc. It still appeared to be a 480p signal, but I couldn't verify using the monitor as it was only a quick test.

Also, if I turned off Global draw the signal was clean enough to use the focus peaking in built into the monitor

For reference i was on the MCM rewire preset.

On checking the file, no corrupt frames. To be honest, it was probably the nicest footage I shot as I wasn't hunting for focus on a tiny screen.

I would assume the reason not many are using external monitors is because the monitor probably costs as much if not more than the EOS M.

Anyway, on to play with the latest build!
Thanks for the response. Using an external monitor really makes focusing easier, so I want to buy it.

marcelolippi

Thanks Danne, great work! I put the lua sd and 5k active, I can also record for several seconds but the duration is random ... will also be problems with card speed? (sdxc c10 u3, should be 60mb in writing). Regarding the exposure I do not understand how sometimes the exposure is correct and sometimes burns with the usual pink pixels. What should I check?
Below some frames, failed (random but on average one every 2 seconds) and the "pink" problem.
Thanks again

Danne

First question. Are you reording 2.35:1? Starting point, the cinema script in lua section?

AF-OFF

@Danne
was testing the march04 build with all presets .
found no corrupt recording at all with corrupted frames. did a fresh start and formatted the card in cam (canon menu) enabled after auto reboot the essential modules - crop rec, lua, mlv lite and sound & sd uhs
after reboot initialized the 2,35:1 cine script.
just downloaded the march 07 & 08 builds and will try more testing and more this weekend

Thanks to all and Danne!

marcelolippi

124/5000
yes I loaded module 2.35 1, can there maybe a max 60mbs sd speed  in writing?
However, I check with the new version. Thank you

Danne

The sd_uhs module is highly experimental and will or will not increase card speeds. Sandisk ones seems more stable.

bobolee

Very cool!I tested the March 2019 build,the morie issue is solved !!This is another milestone in my opinion.
Now,can we have real FHD 24fps ?
EOSM,ex pro 95MB/s,NP-F970 for power,feiyu scorp pro+manual focus kit

alzubi

Quote from: Pacerx999 on March 08, 2019, 01:28:02 PM

The thing is that monitors work when on 480p input on the monitor the problem is that majority of monitors dont have this feature i just purchased 2 diffrent monitors hoping to find one with the 480p input option and neither had the option. I purchased a feelworld s55 which is an overall great monitor but some of the firmwares have the feature and some of them dont. I didnt get one with the option.

The solution is to find out whats causing corrupt footage on 1080p or 1080i monitors, and why does it work fine when the monitor is set to 480p. I have a wedding im shooting later this year and without an external monitor im just not going to be able to use the eosm, probably will just pick up a blackmagic if i cant figure this out.

If we do figure this out it means anyone with $250-300 can have a full cinema rig capable of high quality raw which is insane. I just really want monitor support if anyone is willing to figure it out and does figure it out I will personally pay you.

marcelolippi

Again, great work, the quality it's very good! I want to make only two question, the limit of write speed with sd overclock is more or less 55mbs? The cause of bads half frame pink are the card speed? Thanks

anto

alzubi

PSA the feelworld monitor zeek had gotten doesnt always come with the 480p or what its called in the menu as "camera mode" option. I purchased multiple monitors 3 to be exact hoping to find one that worked with my eosm and all 3 did not have the 480p option or the camera mode option. I have spent $500 on monitors trying to find one and have been unsuccessful.

The feel world i purchased even said it had the option but upon purchasing it did not and the support have yet to follow up with me im going to guess because there is not an actual way to switch firmware out of factory even though they claim the upgrade firmware port as a feature. 

If you want to look into it the monitor from feelworld that claims it as a feature is the f570 which is the same one used in the zeek video, and on their page : http://www.feelworld.cn/ShowInfo.aspx?id=519&py=

it even says its a feature. I can show proof that i dont have the option on firmware 1.25

gravitatemediagroup

anybody else notice a flicker in latest build?  almost like a line sync effect