Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGrim

Been researching n days about RAW on EOS M, and the more info had found the more questions had raised. Some of them (maybe) can be solved by buying camera and trying out ML myself, but because i'm a little bit poor, i need to know before buying that it's worth it. So a few questions/thoughts about RAW on EOS M, and if i misunderstood something – feel free to correct me.

1) 2.5k RAW (in which i'm interested most) can be recorded in 3.33x "crop mode" which makes lenses focal length three times more (for example, 10 mm lens =~33 mm in 35mm equivalent).
2) LiveView is working fine most of the time.
3) Crop factor of LiveView is only 5x due to some unavoidable restrictions (it cannot be 3, for example).
4) EOS M itself seem to have no limitations to SD card capacity, so any card up to 2 TB (SDXC format limit, but in terms of money saving i would probably buy 256 GB) can be used.
5) Could it be a better thing to use V60/V90-alike cards so sustain write speed would be closer to ~70 MB/s ML RAW than SanDisk Extreme Pro (which is V30 class)?
6) My main question. Is EOS M config is reliable for real continuous shooting for more than hour or two in any weather conditions (lets say up to +35 degrees Celsius in terms of possibility of overheating)?

I understand that 5D or 7D is most obvious choice for stability, but they cost half of my car - going over 200ish$ for body is not an option at all.

Thanks in advance.

(probably should have created a separate topic in RAW "subforum" but general thread seems to be more or less right for what kind of answers i'm looking for)

AF-OFF

I have shut ratios to OFF in crop menu, otherwise all the resolutions shouldn't be possible.
reg_skip_top destroys the colors, reg_skip_bottom cuts portions of the image.

my idea was to use the 5k preset as supplement to 2.5k preset - in the latter max res is 2520x1418, which is 16:9 but cannot roll at 23,976 fps, but with the 5k preset set to 1264x2126, which is the closest to 16:9 can record with 23,976 fps.

2126 x 1,77 = 3763,02 / 3 = 1254,34 and the closest I've found stable would be then 1264x2126

Danne

AF-OFF

Quote from: Danne on March 18, 2019, 02:29:25 PM
I see. Well keep on testing  8)

Yes will do! I've noticed and downloaded Your new build - march 18 - any news on the new version?

as ever thanks a lot for the great work !

Danne

You can check commits. I added some black level fixes for previewing while recording reduced bitdepths. Still a halfway solution...

AF-OFF

5k preset
reg_skip_right   -70
reg_skip_top     -100 <---- when doing this, there is white border on top
raw video resolution 1264x2126
recording continuous for 30 sec. max....

in mlv app, the resolution is shown as 1264x2236 , seems the reg_skip_top had changed this somehow.... see picture

I've found a good res that works for me - 1024x1728, records a clean video continuous and suitable for mount-c glass

gravitatemediagroup

The greenish tint in liveview while recording is gone! now it looks like a vintage 70's LUT, which is fine by me.  :P

marcelo.lippi

I was able with the March 14 version to work very well with 4.5k at 24 and 25 fps, one minute without corrupt files. Now I have replaced with today's version and when I start recording the monitor turns white or pink. I can't understand the vertical definition that sometimes stands at 2120 and others at 1920. Maybe I should re-install the previous one.
Thank you for all

marcelo.lippi

maybe i'm going crazy? in the bitbucket download area I can't find a March 14 version ... did I dream about it and am I awake now?

marcelolippi

i read up, the 14 march version exist, i'm not crazy! Is it possible to have the 14 version again? I deleted it. THANK's

Teamsleepkid

af off can you post your setting or build good for c mount lens 1024 resolution? interested in trying it. i have lots of c mount lenses. thanks.
EOS M

AF-OFF

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on March 19, 2019, 03:30:04 AM
af off can you post your setting or build good for c mount lens 1024 resolution? interested in trying it. i have lots of c mount lenses. thanks.

easy, please read my Reply #2434 and following.
use Danne's latest build. ---> https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/

@marcelo.lippi please use Danne's latest build . differences to the march14 build are here
---> https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/commits/all

ctfire

Hey, can anybody tell how to use focus dots map , and in what programm it's work ? And is it work better than 3x3 chroma smooth ?

Danne

Try Mlv App. If you find any dots in recent builds please report about it. Dfort fixed map files for all presets.

AF-OFF

just tested the new build from Danne (18March)
with my settings (folder) from the March14's build

using the 5k preset as described above

did longer recordings this time (around 2&1/2 mins.) and and did reduced the res to match the 2.5k 16:9 preset. (2520x1418)
I choosed 880x1468 and could record continuous without any corrupted frames.

But, I've noticed that randomly the motion in the image hangs, freezes for short period.
didn't have this in the 2.5k preset. I've tested this with both builds and it does this in both builds, regardless of bit depth (10 or 12)

all at 23,976 or 24 fps, fresh formatted card before testing, each build on an identical card.

marcelo.lippi

These are my approximate tests. I also have to reformat the card to have more stability. Regarding the experience it seems to be random: I don't understand why sometimes I normally see, with the delay given by the signal processed, others in anamorphic magnified x5, sometimes the screen becomes completely dark (less than the set ISO value) sometimes normal. This is the camera monitor, the HDMI output is unpredictable. Very often I can't see anything (lilliput 7 ", neither in 480p or 1080i)

masc

Quote from: ctfire on March 19, 2019, 06:13:10 PM
Hey, can anybody tell how to use focus dots map , and in what programm it's work ? And is it work better than 3x3 chroma smooth ?
Quote from: Danne on March 19, 2019, 10:28:10 PM
Try Mlv App. If you find any dots in recent builds please report about it. Dfort fixed map files for all presets.
Download dforts maps and copy them to same folder as MLVApp executable. MLVApp uses them then.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

@masc:
Could the map files be included in Mlv App as default? Good stuff.

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Modifying black level for isos higher than iso 100 by checking raw_iso from lens.h. Only affects preview when recording reduced bitdepths.

in lens.h:
#define ISO_100 72 but seems eosm runs iso_100 as 0x48. Need to check this later. Might help fixing hdr stuff in main builds.

ctfire

Quote from: masc on March 20, 2019, 08:53:10 AM
Download dforts maps and copy them to same folder as MLVApp executable. MLVApp uses them then.
Thank you

AF-OFF

some more tests with Danne's March20 build

I followed the instructions from Danne -> https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

so basically I started the cam with the new build on it, enabled the essential modules, formatted the card from canon menu, after restart I executed the "eosm cinema 2.35:1" script.

then in croprec submenu I've removed the 25fps and in raw video menu dialed down the res to 1136x1920 (which is fairly close to 16:9 ratio)
now, this is interesting - I've forgot to mess with the ratio setting in croprec submenu, so there was still ratio of 2.35:1 set. result was nice, only one corrupt frame out of 3100 and no stuttering or so.
then I've noticed I've forgot to change the ratio, so I changed it in croprec to 16:9 and recorded another two minutes. I noticed also after the ratio change, that res was corrected to 1136x2000, which is little less 16:9 then my set res before. viewing in mlv app, in this clip I've had 7 corrupt frames and stuttering in the movements, not that much, but it was there.

then I changed the preset to 2.5k and recorded at max res of 2192x1234 another 2 mins. no corrupted frames or anything else, clean picture at 24 fps.

so maybe its best not to touch the ratio setting after executing the script.

one is still a bit of disadvantage that even if I can push the crop a bit to the left with reg_skip_left
trying to move the crop up with the other reg results in bad image, so its now impossible to properly center the crop, which at this high res is not quite suitable for c-glass   

will test further, thanks to Danne and others for this.

marcelo.lippi

Today's version installed. Very stable in 4.5k resolution with the cine 2.35 script. More than a thousand frames without errors but when I connect the hdmi monitor it becomes unusable: 1 corrected frame 1 corrupt. Any ideas? Thanks for all!

AF-OFF

Quote from: marcelo.lippi on March 20, 2019, 07:53:29 PM
Today's version installed. Very stable in 4.5k resolution with the cine 2.35 script. More than a thousand frames without errors but when I connect the hdmi monitor it becomes unusable: 1 corrected frame 1 corrupt. Any ideas? Thanks for all!
just curious - how come, 4.5k anamorphic AND old cam / old hdmi should work ? isn't it to much to expect?

marcelo.lippi

I read that it could be used and in fact it works, it looks very good, you can't use the touch but at least you can fire and follow the action without problems ... but it produces so many errors in the recorded frames

AF-OFF

Quote from: marcelo.lippi on March 20, 2019, 09:35:26 PM
I read that it could be used and in fact it works, it looks very good, you can't use the touch but at least you can fire and follow the action without problems ... but it produces so many errors in the recorded frames
I can't help You with that one. But using logic,
I would suggest - maybe You could have a special version with err viewfinder but clean recording, or clean preview with corrupt recording, which if I understood You,
is the case now). for You.
maybe even possible to have both, but for what price?
and a question - does this setup of Yours work with other versions then Danne's ?