Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Quote from: fer.psd on October 12, 2020, 09:16:53 PM
I'm desperate...New EOS M ML user here, installed FD Lenses with the Pixco adapter, everything looks great on the viewfinder, settings, aperture changes etc....but when I hit the Red Dot Record Button NOTHING HAPPENDS... no recording. Anything that might help this newbie out?

Try manual page 287: C.Fn-7 Release shutter w/o lens.

Janke

Quote from: fer.psd on October 12, 2020, 09:16:53 PM
I'm desperate...New EOS M ML user here, installed FD Lenses with the Pixco adapter, everything looks great on the viewfinder, settings, aperture changes etc....but when I hit the Red Dot Record Button NOTHING HAPPENDS... no recording. Anything that might help this newbie out?

As Walter says, use the C.Fn-7 Release shutter w/o lens setting.

It is factory set to "off", meaning that you can't either without a lens, or with a lens that doesn't have the necessary electric contacts. According to eBay pictures of the adapter, it doesn't have the contacts.

This has nothing to do with ML at all...

theBilalFakhouri

Some EOS M users reporting flickering problem when using Dual ISO in 2.5K and other presets on MLV RAW ON EOS M Facebook group

I had this problem too in the past on 700D, it was from the generic code for ADTG registers, some ADTG registers present in 700D, EOS M which changes from video mode to another, a1ex included it because his graphs was showing it should change when increasing RAW resolution, using these registers or not using it *doesn't have any effect* on 700D and EOS M, I marked it as unnecessary registers for these cameras, why?

Because it's causing the flickering problem when using Dual ISO, I thought this problem was from some shutter blanking issues or the heavy 100/3200 Dual ISO, or even MLVApp, fortunately I made some tests in the past and narrowed down the following ADTG registers which caused this strange flickering problem, after commenting out these registers the flickering gone:

//adtg_new[7]  = (struct adtg_new) {6, 0x8173, nrzi_encode(fps_timer_b - 1) }; /* PowerSaveTiming OFF (6D/700D) */
        //adtg_new[8]  = (struct adtg_new) {6, 0x8179, nrzi_encode(fps_timer_b - 1) }; /* PowerSaveTiming OFF (5D3/6D/700D) */

//adtg_new[11] = (struct adtg_new) {6, 0x82F8, nrzi_encode(readout_end + 1) }; /* ReadOutTiming */
        //adtg_new[12] = (struct adtg_new) {6, 0x82F9, nrzi_encode(fps_timer_b - 1) }; /* ReadOutTiming end? */

Some days ago I found there is another flickering problem when using Dual ISO in 1x3 Binning mode with real time correct preview @ 2.35:1, 2:1 and 16:9 Aspect ratios, not sure what causing this flickering in these presets But in 1x3 Binning 2.50:1 preset with real time correct preview there is no flickering, something is happening here when lowering width RAW resolution and increasing Vertical RAW resolution in x5 mode, I think some registers related to horizontal resolution or vertical resolution or both need to be tweaked

Tested Dual ISO in 1x3 Binning 2.35:1 preset in mv1080 mode with stretched preview, the flickering problem isn't there (it's gone), some registers here appear to control something which cause this problem, these registers are between x5 and mv1080 mode, happy catching

Some examples from EOS M users posted on the Facebook group:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnHAF1qKLhs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZqeGWCL6k

You can see the flickering problem clearly in my old 2018 video, I was testing 1x3 Binning mode with Dual ISO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmawA6qe-Dc

Edit: here is my old reporting for this problem:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg207717#msg207717

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on October 29, 2018, 12:17:23 AM
..It's some kind of flicker(Low contrast frame/High constrast frame something like that) I thought it was from shutter speed bug or aggressive 100/3200 Dual ISO but using same Dual ISO and without crop_rec the problem is gone. That's how I found the problem wasn't from Dual ISO and shutter speed bug (shutter speed was set to lowest value so no flicker was happening) then I tried to comment out other ADTG registers and the problem has been fixed.

I didn't search to find out which specific ADTG registers causing this but the point is not to use unnecessary registers for all cameras maybe that isn't good thing. For small cameras (700D, 650D, 100D and EOS M) the necessary ones is 8172, 8178 and 82b6. I don't have my cam and laptop right now posting examples next week.

Danne

1 - Check out Levas findings here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15088.msg226690#msg226690
2 - Do not process dualiso with Mlv app. Why. Code ported is old mlvfs code causing subtle bugs like flicker etc.
3 - Compile cr2hdr version from here with latest changes from a1ex code is used in Switch. Proven working https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.msg227989#msg227989
Source
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip_hop_git/src/master/

Too bad these very hard to detect bugs have been coming and going totally made me, and probably others, leave the dualiso train when it comes to movie files. I think it would have been much more interesting still if we kept using a1ex version from the beginning.

theBilalFakhouri

Cool, so it might be only MLVApp problem after all that?!

I will make tests with cr2hdr to prove or not prove that since I dealt with these problems from two years ago

Danne

Well, you need white level coherency through all files since it could vary depending on how cr2hdr converts every single file. This step is done with exiv2 in Switch.

sm105

I've had strong flickering issues when using dual iso on the 5D3. I did try using Switch, as recommended by Danne, but the resulting files still had flickering. I should note that I was filming the full moon when it was high in the sky (very bright!), so when exposing for the moon (ISO 100), the rest of the shot (city buildings) was underexposed by at least 3 or 4 stops at ISO 1600.

In another thread a1ex hints that dual iso is not ideal in very underexposed shots (https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=24216.0).

Danne

Could you post a sample from that file? I filmed the moon and I think if exposed correctly it will also work. It did in my case.

70MM13

the attachment i provided in the original issue reported (and linked above by sm105) is still valid...

Danne

a1ex already pointed out this was not recorded with 14bit. Error starts there...

canoneer

Quote from: canoneer on October 15, 2020, 06:09:04 PM
Re Remote triggering the EOS M. I have way back in time managed to get the Triggertrap Audio remote function to work. Now I can see the volume peek when triggering on the iPhone but it seems impossible to get a reaction. Do I need to do more than activating the function in the ML menu? If you have time to throw a lifeline?

Hope you are all well and enjoy more tech fun during local close down periods.

I have a little EosM rig where I would benefit a lot from using a remote trigger.  So any help to get it running would be great.

Danne

Please don't repost. Try search and find relevant topics, builds or people working around these matters. If you come up empty. Try and fix it yourself.

Walter Schulz

Do you see the line "Audio release ON (xx/20)" on your display?
Finger snipping doesn't work well. Speak to the machine! ;-)

canoneer

Yes, I see the «Audio release on» message on my display.

Walter Schulz

And? Are the numbers "xx" moving? Have you tried shouting at the cam (no joke!). Which build are you using? Have you tried other builds like plain nightly build and older versions of this?
You can switch between different builds fast by renaming autoexec.bin and ML directory and copying other extracted builds to card.
@other EOS M users: Is Audio Remote Shot working for you?

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

canoneer

I have one M with nightly 11 august - triggertrap-tested with xx volume meter showing 8, 10, 20, 35 with no trigger response - microphone test same. Different M nightly 19 september - tested same way - no response.

Walter Schulz

Forget Triggertrap for a moment. Have you tried voice and shouting at it? In photo mode with AF deactivated ...

canoneer

Tried without troggertrap, with and without external microphone. No xx response in photo or video. It do detect external micrphone - I had to try that as well since I could not make sound load enough with camera mike.

canoneer

I restarted, reconnected mike and I then managed to trigger in photo mode, but not in video.

sm105

Quote from: Danne on October 18, 2020, 07:12:14 AM
Could you post a sample from that file? I filmed the moon and I think if exposed correctly it will also work. It did in my case.

Sent in a pm

Danne

Sample mlv.
You can post openly, don´t see why not. Your flicker could be the fact it´s a timelapse at around 1fps. Look into deflicker applications. Or it´s cr2hdr treating files individually. It´s the moon surrounded with black. A sample mlv could be interesting to test.

SponaxSpinax

Hi everyone. I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread or if my question has been answered before, but I coulnd't find an explanation. I installled ML a few days ago and I have been trying and it has been wonderful, but for some reason I can't change my ISO through magic lantern when I'm in movie mode. I have enabled the manual mode and if I try to change the ISO through canon native menu I cand changem, but through the magic lantern it always goes back to 100 (or whatever ISO i have set in the canon menu.

canoneer

re  #4600

After numerous approaches I managed to get my long forgotten RC-6 to function for both video (channel#2) and photo. Thanks for your effort Walter Schulz!

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Enabled Kill Canon GUI

When enabled it will exclude arrows from preview window but keep ml graphics. Lucky find in code this morning. Means you´ll get a perfectly clean preview while using theBilalFakhouri´s realtime preview presets. The function is auto set if going through tap display menu.