5.7K anamorphic 5D Mark III footage

Started by masc, July 21, 2020, 08:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

This is the first test video with my new old Canon EOS 5D Mark III. I am blown away by Danne's video modes, especially this 5.7K anamorphic mode which uses the full sensor width (big thank you, Danne!). This makes the footage look very cinematic!

With this mode I got 1920x2332(*) (unsqueezed to 5760x2332) @ 23.976fps and 12bit lossless. And the best: continuous recording!!! This is possible because of the latest SD overclocking and card spanning features (thanks to everyone involved!). So the CF card writes about 70MB/s and the SD about 50MB/s at the same time.

MLVApp is able to merge the two files (MLV+M00) from the two cards. The entire video was processed and color corrected to ProRes4444 with MLVApp only, at original resolution (unsqueezed). There was no sharpening applied. The final cut was upscaled to 8K for youtube using ffmpeg with lanzcos resizer.

Gear used:
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 II USM
K&F Variable ND8-ND128
Audio-Technica Pro-24 (modded)
Glidecam HD-2000
Lexar 1066x 32GB
SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB 170MB/s

(*) the mode is updated to 1920x2340 now (5760x2340)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HepXMJeAPt8
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Absolutely majestic. Colors, resolution, camera work, music. The best. Thanks for sharing. 5d3=true cinematic power.

Luther

Very good @masc! Stabilization is good and the music is nice. Some scenes are a bit overexposed and I think a little of sharpness on mlvapp would make some details pop out more, but other than that it's flawless.
Just a question: why did you upscale to 8K?
Man, I need to get a 5d3 too.

masc

Thank you!
Quote from: Luther on July 21, 2020, 10:39:02 PM
Some scenes are a bit overexposed ...
Really? Which scenes do you mean?
I upscaled, because 5.7K is in between 4K and 8K. 4K means downscaling, so I decided to upscale to 8K, to present the maximum possible quality. But in the end I am not sure if I ever do the same upscaling again... :D
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

allemyr

Fantastic quality! Awesome work both of you! Really cool that you got card spanning working!

ammocave

Quote from: Luther on July 21, 2020, 10:39:02 PM
Very good @masc! Stabilization is good and the music is nice. Some scenes are a bit overexposed and I think a little of sharpness on mlvapp would make some details pop out more, but other than that it's flawless.
Man, I need to get a 5d3 too.
I completely agree

Levas

Quote from: masc on July 21, 2020, 08:40:19 PM
The entire video was processed and color corrected to ProRes4444 with MLVApp only

I'm wondering, do you do anything specific in MLVapp to prevent jagged edges due to horizontal stretching ?
I tried these anamorphic modes a few times, but I prefer the look of high resolution 1:1 pixel readout modes.
While testing anamorphic mode, I tend to end up with a soft(not detailed/sharp) video.
It looks very good scaled down to 1080p, but when viewed at 100% I see jagged edges in tree branches and such.
Maybe I'm missing some settings in MLVapp  ???

wib

The glide cam adds a lot of cinematic feel, and the organic look of the stretching is interesting actually.

Quote from: Levas on July 22, 2020, 11:56:23 AM
I'm wondering, do you do anything specific in MLVapp to prevent jagged edges due to horizontal stretching ?
I tried these anamorphic modes a few times, but I prefer the look of high resolution 1:1 pixel readout modes.
While testing anamorphic mode, I tend to end up with a soft(not detailed/sharp) video.
It looks very good scaled down to 1080p, but when viewed at 100% I see jagged edges in tree branches and such.
Maybe I'm missing some settings in MLVapp  ???

I'm like you, to me the overall image sharpness (in french we say " le piqué") looks better in 1:1, bu I guess you maybe have to get used to the anamorphic stretch look. And that's a very good question ! but he said he doesn't add any sharpness. Interested to see too.

Have you tried with davinci ?
EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

IDA_ML

The Anamorphic 5,7k mode is about overall video quality and not about pixel peeping at 100% magnification.  Masc's works is the perfect demonstration for that.

Yes, high-resolution 1:1 pixel readout modes provide a slightly better quality - no jagged edges, but look at Masc's video.  Do you see a soft and not detailed image or jagged edges when watching it full screen?  It looks perfect on my 30-inch monitor here.

When I film in 5k anamorphic using a sharp lens and then downscale the video to 4k (3840x2160) it looks absolutely gorgeous full screen even watched at a very close distance, (50 cm) from the screen.  I wouldn't want to lose the full frame vision because of jagged edges at 100% magnification. 

@Wib:
For ultimate quality results, using a really sharp lens, perfect focusing and enough depth of field is critical.  Please consider this and reshoot your arc footage again.  You will be surprised how much quality improvement you will get.

Levas

I'm most interested in how Masc used these anamorphic files in MLVapp, which settings did he apply.
No doubt the footage looks great, heck, I can't even find any jagged edges, so that's why I'm wondering, I'm I doing something wrong in post process  :P

Levas

Quote from: masc on July 21, 2020, 08:40:19 PM
The entire video was processed and color corrected to ProRes4444 with MLVApp only, at original resolution. There was no sharpening applied. The final cut was upscaled to 8K for youtube using ffmpeg with lanzcos resizer.

How do I read this, "at original resolution", is that in 1920x2332 resolution and is the 3x unscqueeze done in ffmpeg ?
Or did he output 5760x2332 with MLVapp and only upscale with ffmpeg ?

masc

Quote from: Levas on July 22, 2020, 11:56:23 AM
Quote from: wib on July 22, 2020, 11:58:37 AM
The glide cam adds a lot of cinematic feel, and the organic look of the stretching is interesting actually.

I'm like you, to me the overall image sharpness (in french we say " le piqué") looks better in 1:1, bu I guess you maybe have to get used to the anamorphic stretch look. And that's a very good question ! but he said he doesn't add any sharpness. Interested to see too.

Have you tried with davinci ?
MLVApp uses AVIR resizer, which should be the best algorithm for stretching out there. Most application just use bicubic algorithm, which looks not so good for this job. If you add sharpness before resizing, you'll get the jagged edges - so just don't sharpen, or do it after resizing. My MLVApp receipt is nothing special - mostly just exposure and WB correction, Dark/Light adjustment, CA removal and a soft vignette. In some clips I used the RBF chroma denoise at 50 to get more or less the same noise amount like in ACR.

Quote from: Levas on July 22, 2020, 01:17:55 PM
How do I read this, "at original resolution", is that in 1920x2332 resolution and is the 3x unscqueeze done in ffmpeg ?
Or did he output 5760x2332 with MLVapp and only upscale with ffmpeg ?
I unsqueezed in MLVApp, cut in 5760x2332 and upscaled the final to 8K in ffmpeg.

Thank you for your nice comments and questions.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Bender@arsch

I already tested the Anamorphic mode compared with 1x1 mode a month ago.

I use a sharp lens, same focus and spot, high detailed shoot, same sharpening in post. Comparism with 5,4K Anamorphic and 3,5K 1x1 (with a text write failure in the Titel). You can see it easily on the crop factor, first 3.5, second 5.4K Anamorphic and again.

I get a headpain if I see the Anamorphic mode, compared with the 1x1 mode, especially if I try to read the text on the vehicle.
For me the Anamorphic mode is only a big deal with a wide open shoot (not so much detailes) in comparism with 1x1 modes. Or with less sharpening like masc ;)

Danne

Quote from: Levas on July 22, 2020, 01:07:01 PM
No doubt the footage looks great, heck, I can't even find any jagged edges, so that's why I'm wondering, I'm I doing something wrong in post process  :P
There re no edges in 1x3 modes. Same with eosm and 6d(or maybe an issue with 6d?).
Did you try a 1x3 recorded file exported to dng from mlv app? Just open it up in acr and you'll see.

masc

Quote from: Bender@arsch on July 22, 2020, 01:22:20 PM
I use a sharp lens, same focus and spot, high detailed shoot, same sharpening in post.
At what stage did you sharpen? Before or after stretching? If before I can tell you where the jegged edges are coming from. :)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Bender@arsch

@masc
cDNG export from MLVapp and using ACR for sharpening with After Effects. -> so it is after ;)  or not?

masc

Quote from: Bender@arsch on July 22, 2020, 02:43:59 PM
@masc
cDNG export from MLVapp and using ACR for sharpening with After Effects. -> so it is after ;)  or not?
Hm... interesting question. I think only Adobe could answer this question. You could try to export unsharpend and apply sharpening e.g. on the final in your NLE. If this makes a difference, then ACR sharpens before stretching.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Bender@arsch

Hm.. I think I give it a second chance and try it out with sharpening after the first export. Maybe tomorrow.

Levas

Doing some testing with 1x3 mode.
And when I look at the files, at 100%, I get this sort of colored/jagged edges artifact on high contrast parts like branches against white sky.
Notice the red/purple/green color artifacts in this image.

As far as I know, the settings for the crop preset are right for 6d.

case CROP_PRESET_1_3_pixel_readout_crop_presets_6d:
            adtg_new[18] = (struct adtg_new) {6, 0x8000, 6};
            adtg_new[19] = (struct adtg_new) {6, 0x800C, 0};
            adtg_new[20] = (struct adtg_new) {6, 0x8183, 0x35};
            adtg_new[21] = (struct adtg_new) {6, 0x8184, 0x3b};
        break;

So 8000 register set to 6, to get pixelbinning, 800c set to 0, so no lineskipping and 8183 and 8184 set to pixelbinning(default settings in 1x zoom)

Danne

Maybe expected peeping veeery hard ;). I guess it looks way better on 5D3.
On eosm I get this, now the same scenario but even so. Looks ok to me:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16516.msg229252;topicseen#msg229252

Levas

Problem with using ML raw for a long time, you get used to very detailed/crisp video.
And with the high resolution crop modes in 1:1 read out, there is a very high standard in video quality you get used to over the years  ;D

Probably biggest problem for me is that I'm looking at 1x3 mode footage (while knowing how detailed 1:1 high resolution raw can look).
Now if I compare 1x3 mode to 4k video from my smartphone, the 1x3 doesn't look too bad  :P

Danne

The more I get used to anamorphic, the more I dislike 1x1 and it´s "too" crisp feel. Also the lack of shallow depth is a problem. I like to mix around though with different presets though. They all suit me in some way.

ZEEK

Great Video, really like the look here! 👌
And who said DSLR's were dead?...
EOS M

wib

Quote from: IDA_ML on July 22, 2020, 12:23:57 PM
@Wib:
For ultimate quality results, using a really sharp lens, perfect focusing and enough depth of field is critical.  Please consider this and reshoot your arc footage again.  You will be surprised how much quality improvement you will get.

If you want to see, I uploaded a video, as I kept the MLV. So I exported the DNG from Davinci, this time in 5K and without sharpning in the raw processing. Also I exported a mov directly from MLVAPP, as @Masc said the desqueezing is better processed, I try to apply more or less the same lut and setting to make it look like what I get in Davinci. So the bright shot is the one direct from MLVAPP

(youtube is processing the video... 1080p and 5k or 4k will arrive soon)

EOS 5D3 123 crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2020Dec11.5D3123

Dmitriy84759

Quote from: Bender@arsch on July 22, 2020, 01:22:20 PM
I already tested the Anamorphic mode compared with 1x1 mode a month ago.
I use a sharp lens, same focus and spot, high detailed shoot, same sharpening in post. Comparism with 5,4K Anamorphic and 3,5K 1x1 (with a text write failure in the Titel). You can see it easily on the crop factor, first 3.5, second 5.4K Anamorphic and again.
great quality! what is sharp lens did you use there?