5.7K anamorphic 5D Mark III footage

Started by masc, July 21, 2020, 08:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

I mean this effect here, one of the cons of 1x3 footage:
([img]... doesn't work?! --> https://i.ibb.co/z5YyMH6/stairs.jpg)
1. original footage
2. 100% sharpen in MLVApp (it sharpens first and rescales afterwards)
3. 500% sharpen in PS after MLVApp export (first rescaling, then sharpening)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Thanks a lot, Masc, a very useful example!  Now I understand.  The reason I did not notice the effect was that I did not rescale in MLVApp but just exported the footage in its original size.  In my workflow, I always do it that way. I do all corrections and grading in MLVApp, export without rescaling and then mount, edit and rescale in Resolve.  From now on, I will export anamorphic footage with 0 sharpness from MLVApp and apply sharpening as a last step in Resolve.   These discussions help a lot and we all learn from them.  Thank you again.

masc

But why do you let Resolve rescale (unsqueeze) the footage? AVIR in MLVApp is by far better than bicubic in Resolve?!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

I don't unsqueeze the footage in Resolve, I do it in MLVApp.  Let's say, I have filmed the footage in 1736x2928p resolution.  I import it in MLVApp, unsqueeze it, make all necessary corrections, sharpen and export it in ProRes as a 5208x2928p file.  I open this footage in Resolve, do the editing, mounting, etc. and then I downscale it to my final desired resolution - say 1920x1080.  That's all.  The reason why I export in ProRes 5208x2928p  is because I also use these files for storage - they are much lighter than the original MLVs, if I use the LT option and are also very easy to edit in Resolve.  I keep the MLVs only if the footage is very important to me.

Now I understand that it is better to skip the sharpening step in MLVApp and apply sharpening in Resolve. This does not complicate my workflow, on the contrary - export of unsharpened footage from MLVApp goes much faster than sharpened one.

12georgiadis

Hi all !
What are the other resolution possible in anamorphic ? Do we have a resolutions that have standard ratio like 1:85/1 or 1:78/1 ?
Can we have real time preview even if it is not continuous ? If yes, how much time it stays continuous ?
thanks

masc

You can have: 2.5:1, 2.39:1, 2.35:1 and 16:9. At 10, 12 and 14bit lossless. All at 23.976fps. All with B/W preview. Mostly continuous (just 2.5:1 14bit isn't).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

koopg

Bw: is there a chance that in my test this weekend I did actually had a color realtime preview @2.39 ?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

masc

Quote from: koopg on November 15, 2020, 08:18:54 PM
Bw: is there a chance that in my test this weekend I did actually had a color realtime preview @2.39 ?
EOSM: maybe. 5D3: I don't think so - not in anamorphic mode.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

12georgiadis

Quote from: masc on November 15, 2020, 08:26:58 PM
EOSM: maybe. 5D3: I don't think so - not in anamorphic mode.
And what are the conditions that allows real time preview in EOSm and not in 5DmkIII ?
Btw, amazing news for the other ratios !

Danne

Start by following theBilalFakhouri massive work on understanding preview registry. His posts are scattered here and there but not too hard to find. Achieving real time preview with anamorphic modes for instance is not easy work. First find the correct combination of preview regs(around 30) and then tweak them together towards increased realtime preview.
If you have a 5DIII and a lot of spare time maybe hook up with "the wizard" and see if you could help him out.
My personal take. Buy the guy a 5DIII and if we´re lucky, he´ll find time to do the work for the 5DIII.

12georgiadis

Quote from: Danne on November 15, 2020, 11:22:37 PM
Start by following theBilalFakhouri massive work on understanding preview registry. His posts are scattered here and there but not too hard to find. Achieving real time preview with anamorphic modes for instance is not easy work. First find the correct combination of preview regs(around 30) and then tweak them together towards increased realtime preview.
If you have a 5DIII and a lot of spare time maybe hook up with "the wizard" and see if you could help him out.
My personal take. Buy the guy a 5DIII and if we´re lucky, he´ll find time to do the work for the 5DIII.
Thanks Danne for the advices !
I'm gonna write to santa claus for theBilalFakhouri ;-)

ChristianEOS

I just wanted to let you know I've zoomed in with mlv app and I saw from my test there is a  difference in the display setting if I had slightly sharper on or a higher saturation as defined very high or contrast very high the original mlv turned out to bake in the settings that you see on the display.

Maybe you should test that to confirm me I used the 5.7 k build.

Christian Bruno James

masc

@ChristianEOS: sry, I don't get what you want to say. Please try using punctuation marks. But what MLVApp has to do with a 5.7K build, saturation, shaprness and your display?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ChristianEOS

I would guess this mode is sharper than the 3.5k mode?
Christian Bruno James

masc

What display settings do you change where and why it bakes in what and where? What are you talking about?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

kidfob

I'm curious. Is this mode technically sharper than the 3.5k mode?

Thanks!

Danne

Quote from: masc on November 18, 2020, 04:27:50 PM
What display settings do you change where and why it bakes in what and where? What are you talking about?
Without users backing up statements with mlv samples they can state whatever.

ML700D

Quote from: masc on July 21, 2020, 08:40:19 PM
This is the first test video with my new old Canon EOS 5D Mark III. I am blown away by Danne's video modes, especially this 5.7K anamorphic mode which uses the full sensor width (big thank you, Danne!). This makes the footage look very cinematic!

With this mode I got 1920x2332(*) (unsqueezed to 5760x2332) @ 23.976fps and 12bit lossless. And the best: continuous recording!!! This is possible because of the latest SD overclocking and card spanning features (thanks to everyone involved!). So the CF card writes about 70MB/s and the SD about 50MB/s at the same time.

MLVApp is able to merge the two files (MLV+M00) from the two cards. The entire video was processed and color corrected to ProRes4444 with MLVApp only, at original resolution (unsqueezed). There was no sharpening applied. The final cut was upscaled to 8K for youtube using ffmpeg with lanzcos resizer.

Gear used:
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 II USM
K&F Variable ND8-ND128
Audio-Technica Pro-24 (modded)
Glidecam HD-2000
Lexar 1066x 32GB
SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB 170MB/s

(*) the mode is updated to 1920x2340 now (5760x2340)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HepXMJeAPt8

hi masc,
nice footage!
what is camera setting to shoot the fire?
sorry to ask, I'm noob  :P
EOS 700D

masc

Quote from: ML700D on April 24, 2021, 07:15:16 PM
hi masc,
nice footage!
what is camera setting to shoot the fire?
sorry to ask, I'm noob  :P
Thank you. That was f/2.8, 1/48sec and (if I remember right) ISO1600.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ML700D

Quote from: masc on April 24, 2021, 07:21:12 PM
Thank you. That was f/2.8, 1/48sec and (if I remember right) ISO1600.

I see.. thanks.
EOS 700D

vastunghia

Ciao,

your video is beautiful, congrats! In fact, it is one of the things that led met to grab a 5D MIII -- got one (now on its way) for 300 bucks on eBay from a physical shop; they say they set the price tag so low because it has already some 400k shots... fingers crossed!

I already have a 70D and love its ML capabilities (in particular thanks to ArcziPL's latest efforts), but I want more...

So now -- getting to the point -- I'm planning to buy a fast CF card. I see that you are using a Lexar 1066x 32GB, achieving ~70MB/s write speed. That means your CF card is getting full after a ~8 minute recording time (assuming max write speed is really achieved: so maybe a little bit longer), is that correct? How do you cope with that? Is there a way to move MLV files from CF to SD from time to time, in order to make space available again on the CF? At the end of the day this would let you reach 20 / 30 minute recording time overall I think?

For shooting MLV on the 70D I currently use a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 128GB, that may be overclocked to 240 MHz achieving ~75MB/s (up from ~40MB/s without overclock). With 1832x1024 @23.971fps and 14-bit lossless, I have continuous shooting for a total of ~40 minute rec time. It would be a headache for me if I had to get used to a rec time as low as 8 minutes on the 5D.

Thank you!

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

masc

Thank you.

Wow... 400k shots is a lot. I hope it will do the job for you for some time...

A fast CF card is important. I recommend Lexar and/or Komputerbay. Both work perfectly here. The write speed depends on the used preset and resolution. 5.7K runs in parallel on CF (~70MB/s) + SD (~50MB/s) = 120MB/s in total. So copying the data from CF to SD just works if you have a huge SD card. And this also needs some time. I have 2 CF cards. And if one is full I use the other. And while this, I copy the data from card one to my NEXTODI. After that I format the card and use it again. I can also use the NEXTODI as external drive for processing the footage on my computer. Currently I have 2TB in the NEXTODI. That will let me record longer then my batteries allow.

If you just wish to record 1080p, the SanDisk SD card alone in the cam is good enough.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

vastunghia

Quote from: masc on May 18, 2021, 08:15:37 PM
Wow... 400k shots is a lot. I hope it will do the job for you for some time...

Yes it is. However I convinced myself when I looked at Oleg Kikin's Camera Shutter Life Database: from here https://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos5dmkiii.htm you see that 400k is equivalent to a ~78% survival rate, which is not too bad. After all I have 70k shots on my 70D and apparently this is equivalent to a 62% survival rate (cfr https://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/canon_eos70d.htm), that is even lower! So I told myself, 1. If I keep using 70D for photo and use 5D3 for video, I should be fine; and 2. even If I had to replace the shutter on the 5D3 I would spend 200/300 bucks more, and this would give me a total of 500/600 € for a 'brand new' 5D3... which is not bad, considering that I see used models (with smaller -- but not zero -- shutter counts) being sold for 800 €.

Anyway, back to the main topic.

[...] I have 2 CF cards. And if one is full I use the other. And while this, I copy the data from card one to my NEXTODI.

Ahhh I see, so this is what does the trick. I had to google for NEXTODI ;) but now I realize. So I guess I will stick to a new 64 GB CF card for now (found an Amazon Warehouse deal for a Lexar 1066x @60€, seems a fair price to me as its €/GB ratio is equal to the brand new 256GB version). Hope 64 GB + 128 GB will give take me to ~30 min rec time, though I will have to do some file transfer from CF to SD from time to time.

If you just wish to record 1080p, the SanDisk SD card alone in the cam is good enough.

Yup, well, if I wanted to record 1080p I could stick to my good old 70D. Parallel card write capability is what attracted me, to test higher resolution.

Thanks a lot!

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

dlprod2014

Walter Schulz

Magic Lantern Forum »
    Experimental builds (WIP) »
    crop_rec and derived builds »
    Danne's crop_rec_4k, 5DIII