Danne's crop_rec_4k, 5DIII

Started by Danne, November 09, 2018, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

From reply 1040 he is testing 1080p 60 fps against an older build. I think a simple CF-card test would do with and without more hacks on.

vastunghia

As requested:

• Small hacks = af off
  • More hacks = lvface + awes
  • One more hack = ON
RESULTS: 1st run @90.2 MB/s, 2nd run @91.9 MB/s

• Small hacks = af off
  • More hacks = OFF
  • One more hack = OFF
RESULTS: 1st run @89.1 MB/s, 2nd run @89.4 MB/s

Not sure if difference is significant ??? What is your verdict?
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Danne

I guess the original poster about the issue should test since he knows exactly what he did to obtain differences :).

vastunghia

Not sure what exactly we are trying to understand here then.

My point remains the following: With Apr07 1.1.3 I was getting 150 MB/s, now with Dec02 1.2.3 I'm getting 130. I hope I will find the time tomorrow to test Dec02 1.1.3. Should I still get 130, I would conclude that the Dec02 build (as well as the May15, I presume) has something wrong different from the Apr07 build, that makes it definitely less attractive.

Will keep you posted.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Danne

I don't think 150Mb/s is possible to achieve? I thought bottleneck is around 130Mb/s. Would be a happy surprise if I was wrong.
However. Testing if the hacks are working or not is something else. One way to test is to select a preset that usually works for a few seconds or more then stops. Applying the hacks should get you longer recording times, maybe continuous in those tests.

My best guess now is that this build works as good as any older build and better.

ShittyWebsite

So.. aparently Full Res silent pic don't work (the long exposure one)

If high iso and slow shutter speed: "Raw error"
Can someone confirm this?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Danne on December 03, 2022, 09:46:35 PM
I don't think 150Mb/s is possible to achieve? I thought bottleneck is around 130Mb/s

Bilal and I had doubts, too. You missed some discussion: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=26641.msg240245#msg240245
We are at 145 MByte/s now. Not benchmarks but real recording numbers.

Danne

vastunghia

Quote from: Walter Schulz on December 04, 2022, 12:47:35 AM
Bilal and I had doubts, too. You missed some discussion. We are at 145 MByte/s now. Not benchmarks but real recording numbers.

Thank you Walter, I was afraid I had to start all over again to convince another ML giant that 130 is not a bottleneck for 5D3 :D

Did some more detailed testing with Dec02 1.2.3 and I could achieve higher write speeds than yesterday. In one case I obtained 143.8 MB/s, but the on-screen indicator remained orange all the time and actually recording stopped automagically at 3' 28" (5224 frames). Would not consider this a successful continuous recording write speed, but it sets the upper bound.

So yes, Dec02 1.2.3 is a few MB/s behind Apr07 1.1.3 (my personal record: 147.3 MB/s for 6' continuous rec), but not that much.

One question to developers: how confident are we at this point that Apr07 and Dec02 now are really the same thing (apart from details that should not affect write performance)? 100%, 99% or less?

In case confidence level >= 99%, next I will test Dec02 1.1.3 to determine if 1.2.3 vs 1.1.3 is the culprit here. Otherwise I will go for Apr07 1.2.3.
Thank you

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Danne

If verifying more hacks are working and all is considered good in my book. Still havn't seen a solid check on this. Might look into it myself during christmas.

gabriielangel

Hello, I have read that it is possible to get continuous 12bit @3.5k Crop with 5DIII. With the latest build, Is it possible to use Auto Focus or Touch focus while recording? Can we see the full capture frame?(Even if it looks low fps like the 2.5k on eos m)

vastunghia

Quote from: gabriielangel on December 04, 2022, 09:23:28 PM
Hello, I have read that it is possible to get continuous 12bit @3.5k Crop with 5DIII.

Actually I've been shooting my whole Summer holidays 14bit @3.5k (which is 3.7k actually in UHD standards, i.e. assuming 4k = 3840 ;))

Not sure what you mean by Touch focus (LCD on 5D3 is not touch-enabled) and as far as Auto Focus is concerned, my understanding is that yes you can use it but aperture will be maxed out during AF, so your footage will appear brighter while it is seeking focus. Completely useless. Furthermore, there is no DPAF on the 5D3 so AF is a pain in the neck anyway. Go manual.

With 3.5k framing is ok if you don't need top-notch write speeds (i.e. very bright and complex scenes) @14bit: in that case you will have to turn Global Draw off (i.e. lose correct framing and see only a central crop). Most likely that won't happen if you stick to 12bit.

HTH

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

vastunghia

Quote from: Danne on December 04, 2022, 04:36:24 PM
If verifying more hacks are working and all is considered good in my book. Still havn't seen a solid check on this. Might look into it myself during christmas.

Yes. I understand your perspective which is the developer's one: like, "I want to make sure that my implementation of more hacks is correct".

My perspective is that of a user instead, so it is more like "I wish I could understand why have I lost 5% or more of my max write speed passing from one build to another".

But difficult questions require complex tests, and complex tests require simply too much time for me now. Maybe I will find it during Xmas holidays too.

Thanks for all the support

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Danne

No problem. It's not trivial to test as we have all kind of possibilities with settings and different behaviour depending on preset used, lossless, spanned option etc. My plan is to add the latest sd_uhs code from bilal soon and also add back format option.

has_abandonment_issu

For two months this thread was completely dead and now in three days I'm already way behind.

Update danne on the issue I mentioned.

For recap. I was on May 2022 3123

Fresh install. 60fps preset. Global draw off. Small hacks on, af off, lvface +aewb

Getting only 60-65mbps on a 0.0 exposed scene.

After seeing your update I decided to test all three builds, April, May, and now December under the exact same settings on the same scene.

April was ~85mbps
May was still ~65mbps
December was ~85mbps

Whatever you changed clearly made a difference. If there is anything specific you'd like me to test let me know. I am going to probably be going through a lot of the settings exhaustively over the next month since I recently got some new lenses and a tripod anyway. I'll update if I find anything.

Danne

vastunghia

So today I started playing with my new external monitor (actually a DJI Raveneye attached to RSC 2 transmitting to smartphone).

I wanted to test the possibility to use

• cropped area displayed on clean HDMI for focusing
  • cam LCD for framing
with Preview = Framing, Global Draw = LiveView, 3.5k preset.

However I quickly realized that, with Global Draw = LiveView, there are at least two major issues:

• The gimbal-to-camera lens focus control (no external focus motor here) becomes erratic to say the least, making focusing actually impossible (my feeling, fwiw, is that camera CPU is overloaded by LV and this somewhat jeopardizes focus controls sent from gimbal to camera via USB)
  • Of course, having Global Draw with this kind of preview always on hinders max write speed (this is pretty trivial, I know)
So I found that a compromise could be to have GD off most of the time (that is, when I don't need to worry about framing and need to focus only on focusing -- pun not intended) and switch GD on only for a few secs when I need to check framing.

This is already feasible actually, as long as I keep the REC button on gimbal half-pressed all the time (5D3 interprets this as half-pressed shutter button, so this way Global Draw is switched off on cam) and release it only when I want to check framing (so GD with Framing is kicked back in). But of course this is very very uncomfortable.

So the question -- finally -- is: Would it be possible to reverse this behavior? So have a new option in ML making it possible to have

• Global Draw = off (or maybe even better, no preview at all on cam, as I will be looking at the external HDMI image) all the time,
  • Global Draw = on (correct preview) only when you half-press shutter?

Would be so sweet if it turned out to be a simple mod in the code...

Thanks a lot

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

ShittyWebsite

Quote from: vastunghia on December 05, 2022, 07:18:44 PM

So the question -- finally -- is: Would it be possible to reverse this behavior? So have a new option in ML making it possible to have

• Global Draw = off (or maybe even better, no preview at all on cam, as I will be looking at the external HDMI image) all the time,
  • Global Draw = on (correct preview) only when you half-press shutter?

Would be so sweet if it turned out to be a simple mod in the code...

I guess it's possible with lua script, i have set the Q button, while in LiveView to switch between Framing and Real-Time
That's actually a good idea and i might try change a little bit my script:

console.hide()
mod_button_1 = KEY.Q -- Switch Preview

function test41(key)
if key == mod_button_1 and lv.enabled  == true and menu.visible == false then
elseif menu.get("RAW video", "Preview", "") ~= "Framing" then
menu.set("RAW video", "Crop rec preview", "OFF")
menu.set("RAW video", "Preview", "Framing")
return false
elseif menu.get("RAW video", "Preview", "") == "Framing" then
menu.set("RAW video", "Crop rec preview", "OFF")
menu.set("RAW video", "Preview", "Real-time")
return false
end

event.keypress = test41

I'll do some tests later

vastunghia

Quote from: ShittyWebsite on December 05, 2022, 10:22:52 PM
I guess it's possible with lua script

Ahhh Lua, I've never used that but I should have thought about it. Thank you, very useful.

Would be super if the trick could be working with half press of shutter instead of Q button. Q button cannot be triggered by commands on gimbal.
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Danne

Hm, I never use hdmi out but is it not already working? If preset is set to Realtime you'll have cropped realtime preview but holding halfshutter gives you framing until releasing halfshutter?

vastunghia

Quote from: Danne on December 05, 2022, 11:47:22 PM
Hm, I never use hdmi out but is it not already working? If preset is set to Realtime you'll have cropped realtime preview but holding halfshutter gives you framing until releasing halfshutter?

Holy cow you are correct of course, apparently I have been having Crop rec preview = "auto mode" all the time, so I could not manually select Preview = "Real-time". I always thought it was some limit of this build and the only way to get real time preview was to turn GD off... how dumb of me :-[

Cool, I disabled auto preview mode and now everything seems fine. Will test more but I think this is it.

Thank you!

S

Ps: holy grail for me would be to have dark LCD screen when no button pushed and framing preview when half shutter pressed. But I guess this is more complicated. Or could this be achieved with Lua?
5D3 for video
70D for photo

ShittyWebsite

Quote from: vastunghia on December 06, 2022, 07:52:52 AM
Ps: holy grail for me would be to have dark LCD screen when no button pushed and framing preview when half shutter pressed. But I guess this is more complicated. Or could this be achieved with Lua?
The settings preview > frozen LV only works before recording, so it's not possible to disable while recording but:

Prefs > Powersave in LiveView > "Enable while recording" and "Use shortcut key" should work

In lua is possible to:

menu.set("Overlay", "Global Draw", "OFF")
menu.set("Overlay", "Global Draw", "ON, all modes")

That code as half-shutter key, I had some freezes, most likely due to my lack of knowledge in scripting

Danne

On eosm I freeze real time preview while using framing by modifying two regs like this:
/* Will maybe reduce corruption of frames by freezing liveview while in framing mode. To be tested */
/* reg for eosm,650d,700d,100d */
if (RAW_IS_RECORDING && (shamem_read(0xc0f383d4) == 0x4f0010)) // x3 digital zoom
{
      EngDrvOutLV(0xc0f383d4, 0x4efffc);
      EngDrvOutLV(0xc0f383dc, 0x42401b2);
        }

Numbers seems not important but it reduced or even eliminated corrupted frames in anamorphic modes on eosm so I guess it works a little like LV frozen on and off while recording.
5DIII doesn´t seem to behave like the eos m and might not benefit with this hack.

vastunghia

Thanks a lot for the support, not sure I caught all details but I will look into it as soon as I have some time.

In the meanwhile I found out a setting that I never saw before -- 'Sticky HalfShutter' in the Misc key settings. Could be useful for switching between Real-time and Framing preview without having to hold (half-pressed) down the shutter button on the gimbal. Nice, ML has always some surprise hidden somewhere. Wish I had been a user since early 2010's, I would have seen these features come alive one by one.

Ciao

Sergio
5D3 for video
70D for photo

Gnarleyeh

Quote from: vastunghia on December 06, 2022, 10:46:03 PM
Thanks a lot for the support, not sure I caught all details but I will look into it as soon as I have some time.

New poster here. Have been using ML for 5 years on a 5D MkIII, with no issues, mostly for augmenting still capabilities, generously produced from the many builds. In the last 2 months I have explored the exciting world of filming RAW. Downloading Danne's Build, I have been experimenting in the early stages of use. My initial attempts met with success after consulting with online documentation of several YouTube videos, and the proper setup with respect to Danne's build. My issue has arisen I believe, because I was exchanging SD cards with the base 1.13 version and the Danne Build. I was hoping to use the overlays specifically to use the Waveform tool for estimating my exposure level, and then replacing the base SD card with the Danne build on a second SD card. I am now unable to write to my CF card, and in spite of reformatting in camera and overwriting to the latest dec build on my SD card. Upon activating recording, I receive the message, Movie Recording stopped automagically  Slot 3:frame 0 not saved. Also, after a reboot and turning movie mode on, and entering ML menu, I receive the message Load Error 0:ML/cropmks/CineSco2.bmp. Kill Global Draw is at OFF, and in the Layout menu, Global draw is at Liveview. The M00 files are being written to the SD card however. Presets -anamorphic, RAW video On, 1920 x 2340, aspect ratio 16:9, data format 14 bit lossless, crop rec preview auto mode, card spanning ON, kill global draw, all overlays OFF, SD Overclock 160 MHz

Thanks,

ML