Crop mode recording (crop_rec.mo) (1:1, RAW/H.264, 25/30/50/60 fps)

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2016, 08:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Last time I've checked (read: 1-2 years ago), the audio meters should disappear when there's no sound recorded (be it in H.264 or mlv_snd). Is this no longer the case?

Headphone output is not currently under ML control.

budafilms

Yes, its what you say.

But lot of variables, settings, values - people - when filming and it's very common forget activate sound.

Walter Schulz

There are 2 ways to avoid such troubles:
- A foolproof technical solution
- A checklist either in old-fashioned print with pen or (modern style) using smartphone...

I recommend second approach.

Danne

You mean you want NO SOUND burnt into the ML screen while recording? Thought no meters showing would do that trick but maybe not enough.
One thing could be to enable sound to default ON when mlv_snd is set?
Speaking of sound. How is mlv_lite and mlv_snd going? I see there's a branch started and I compiled it a while ago but briefly tests showed errors. Had no time then to dig further. Is there any specific tests I can do? What is working or not with mlv_lite and sound atm?

budafilms

When MLV is ON, no problem. Bars show the level.
When is OFF, I think is better the legend: NO SOUND.

I don't want to prolong a common sense proposal, and a check list sorry but is not enough today. Excepto if you shoot mountines and cats on the grass.
ML from two years at today was adding lot of menus, and beautifull tools.
People like me - and maybe you -  who today shoot with ML know the dozens of variables in every shoot, bits, pixels size, crop factors, iso, lens, people asking, restarts, cards, backups, freezes... and people like me don't use - we can't afford - have a guy to check the sound, other with focus.

We need the best solution, even, when you know that you can forget one of 77 variables.

Except if you are Karpov o Kasparov ;)

Thank you.

ItsMeLenny

And 4K trolls used to be the problem :P
Now we (not me, but some people) have 4K and text saying "no sound" is the feature request.

budafilms

clemento

Hi Magic Lantern users,
I haven't been updating my ml build for 2 years now..
is there already a way to see the proper and right frame when recording in crop mode?
It sucks that we see the 5x magnification, but actualy its recording in 3x magnification.
Any workaround?

Thanks so much

Kharak

Quote from: budafilms on July 25, 2017, 08:22:45 AM
Yes, its what you say.

But lot of variables, settings, values - people - when filming and it's very common forget activate sound.

I would like this too. I deactivate sound for increased speeds on 1x3 mode (vanilla) and have forgotten too many times to reactivate. When on a shoot, there are so many things to consider and would be nice with a clear "No Sound/Audio" in the legend
once you go raw you never go back

Kharak

Under Memory Patches I have Red dot for code FF290F98 - EA3569C0. The description bar at the bottom says "crop_rec: video timers hook" and right under that "0xFF290F98: 0xE51FC15C -> 0xEA3569C0"

What does this mean? Should I be worried. I have to say, everything seems to work really well with this build (Oct 28th fir 123). Been playing around with 3.5k center mode a lot these last two weeks and it has worked so well compared to the beginning of the crop_rec release.

I havent gotten around to update my build to latest. Would that fix this?
once you go raw you never go back

drkim

Hi, new to crop.

I would like to shoot a cropped image not in RAW, not zoomed in, just regular video at 1920 width. But I want cinemascope aspect ratio with a 1920 width: 1920 x 817

Using some crop settings, can I just capture 1920 x 817?
(I know about crop marks - I'm just wondering if I can actually capture smaller files.)

I'm on a Canon EOS-M

Thank you in advance!
Kim

a1ex

No - the best we might be able to do, with the current knowledge, would be to blacken the top and bottom bars (or turn them into any other solid color), hopefully reducing file size as well.

Even that is not trivial to implement (one has to find when to overwrite what we call HD buffer, somewhere between image capture and H.264 encoding) and it's likely to have model-specific quirks. Not sure if it's worth the trouble.

drkim

Quote from: a1ex on January 02, 2018, 10:33:57 AM
No - the best we might be able to do, with the current knowledge, would be to blacken the top and bottom bars (or turn them into any other solid color), hopefully reducing file size as well...
Thank you a1ex.
I'm just working off crop marks right now, I didn't know if 'crop recording' provided for actually excluding part of the image. Not critical since non-RAW files aren't that big.
Cheers!

domasa

It would be possible add some shortcut key for crop mode?

(Button INFO is enough if it does not work otherwise.)

leandroprz

I tested the latest crop module last night on my 6D and I'm getting 2/3 of the image with a magenta color:

I used mlv_lite and mlv_rec both with default settings. Both give the same results.

Any idea what could be happening?

khaja84

Its already implemented by Canon in 600D?
Is that 3x and 10x zoom available in Video?
If so, does that mean I will get a crop video in 3x and 10x zoom mode without pixel binning?

Waiting for confirmation, thanks.

Walter Schulz

Crop_rec.mo is not available for your cam. Crop mode is. Just press loupe button for cropped MLV recording.
600D hosts Digic 4 and is limited to about 20 MByte/s transfer rate for continuous recording.

khaja84

But in this post, it's mentioned that: Note that 600D and 70D already have this feature from Canon....

Walter Schulz

Which post? It may refer to Canon's "crop" mode for  H.264 recording which was introduced with 600D.

khaja84

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 02, 2020, 09:30:02 PM
Which post? It may refer to Canon's "crop" mode for  H.264 recording which was introduced with 600D.

I'm referring to this post: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17021.0

Yes, I just want to know whether Canon's "crop" mode for  H.264 recording in 600D record H264 video without pixel-binning like Crop_rec.mo is doing with RAW Video?

motionSOUL

Hello all, need some little help here, I have bought an ISCO Ultra Star x2 Anamorphic lens and would like to be able to maximize the resolution of my files.
With the standard ML mode I can shoot at 1600x1290 / 24p for 3200x1290 unsqueezed files which is great but I would like to raise my vertical resolution by using the crop mode.
Is it possible to get for example 1920x2160 / 24p in any crop modes cause I'm a bit lost to what mode to use to keep 24p but with better resolution?

Thanks.

S/.