crop_rec on steroids: 3K, 4K, 1080p48, full-resolution LiveView

Started by a1ex, April 01, 2017, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimiz

so ...no way to go out of the absurd price of the outdated and LIMITED CF ?!?
one step away from 2020 is not acceptable to pay a computerbay x1000 from only 128 gb..160 euro!
same price of 4 years ago !!! :'(
incredible there is not a perfect CF / SD adapter for the 5d3 ...
or at least a CF adapter> HD SSD even better .... with all the adapters and chinoiseries that exist !! >:(
5D3-123

Walter Schulz

Amazon.de: Komputerbay 128GB, 1066x for 79€.

Hone your google-fu ...

jimiz

+sp 90 euro.... and no tested!  mah...
and cf adapter ? must wait 2099 meaby...

5D3-123

Walter Schulz

Quote from: jimiz on June 21, 2019, 02:40:37 PM
+sp 90 euro.... and no tested!

Sorry, you lost me. What does "+sp 90" mean", what does "and no tested" mean?

domasa

leozan

TRUE!!  computerbay x1000 and 1066 must be accurate tested with 14bit raw of ML canon , because they are squeezed at maximum write speed, and many don't match the declared speed, so you get errors and blocks
for this reason I ordered them from a shopkeeper who, before sending them, did not have amazon prices, they cost just under 160 euros, but they are totally reliable and without bad surprises.
eye with amazon that won't pay you back if they work for them!
and also 79 euro plus spedition (not free) ,,,they are not very few, since they should now cost 30-40 euros at most! 128 gb ... not 1280 !!!

Walter Schulz

I really don't get it. Komputerbay's 1066x cards are with us for some time and have been tested extensivly without failure (means: performance is consistent, nothing said about endurance)). Look here: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12630.0
There is no guarantee they won't change internals of course. So baselining your cards after purchasing is - IMO - mandatory (for all manufacturers and card types).

Disclaimer: No experience with 1000x. They tend to cost more with lower performance (compared to 1066x) so it makes no sense to me to purchase one of those.

jimiz

ofcourse...but crazy there are not way/possibility to connect with a special CF adapter, fast SD or better SSD HD....
for working better (space) and price/gb ...with canon ML raw...
5D3-123

masc

Quote from: jimiz on June 21, 2019, 08:27:32 PM
...with canon ML raw...
This has nothing to do with ML raw. It is just the adapters.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

jimiz

I say..."for recording with ML raw"...not is the cause!

a good adapter port CF , for connect a fast little SSD hd  , was the best way for cut the problem of space recording....(20 minute in 128gb...)   think on a 1Tb SSD..  and easy fast way also for edit (just ready)...  cheap as well as dozens of CF cards
ok you need a supply adapter extra..but this is the minor problem.

my question was easy, in a world where  in this sector you will find thousands and thousands of cards for connectors, adapters for everything and more ...
no one, did an adapter be used in this manner on CF canons? maybe will not cheap ... but don't tell me it's impossible. Such a pity.
5D3-123

leozan

dear jimi....summer talking  :D...

your question (already treated in this forum even if died in nothing ...)   pertinent and very shareable, in so many canon ML fans and not novices,  they have already done it in 2013 (search google and you'll see) already then the problem of enormous convenience in terms of space / registration as well as economic are raised , to use harddisk instead of the "small" expensive cf to record in raw! and in addition to experiments with cables and wires, there are also flowers of the cf (pcmcia) card adapters where theoretically it was possible to connect small IDE hardisk ... but all the speeches died in nothing ... we are in 2019, at the gates of 2020, and you're absolutely right !! impossible that today with all the news, fast ssd, cards and chips of all kinds and modes, no one has finally churned out a suitable adapter to connect the small ssd finally allowing good use of the elite RAW canons, as well as in the canon compressed formats of course! ....
in fact one thing is very clear .. it is certainly not the CF connector and their internal circuits to the canon, the problem ... but only and exclusively external. that is, you need an adaptation that allows you to power and connect a SSD hard disk.
why nobody did it? probably because CANON itself never wanted to have it come, tapping its mouth and experiments on the spot ... pity that not even the nonconformists without Russian and Chinese rules, have not given us anything today. I believe that by now you can forget something like that, and of course ... that a cf128 gb still costs 80 or more euros ... it is a huge great shame as well as the price with which panasonic continues to sell P2 (and not mini!) ... the world is rotten for that too!

jimiz

amen! also IF we do'nt like, we must look on another way (blackmagic)  :'(
5D3-123

masc

Quote from: jimiz on June 22, 2019, 12:35:15 PM
... but don't tell me it's impossible. Such a pity.
It is possible in terms of space... that's the crap you can buy. It is technically impossible in terms of speed. The adapter must convert between parallel and serial transmission. This will always be slower! And additionally it will never be faster than the limit of the CF interface in the camera. So why one should need this, when loosing resolution or bitdepth, just to record some more minutes?
Buy 2 cards and a little HD with CF interface (e.g. NextoDi Nd2901), so you can record until your 2 or 4 TB are full, with just some seconds break to change between the cards.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

jimiz

this can be a good help ...  thanks for the info ..
Nexto DI NPS-10-CF   
with a good ssd 1tb you can archive about 7 or little more CF of 128 gb ..for more of 2 hours/half
but if you have only one CF 128 and you are outside  and you need 1 hour of more of recording and you have no stres to continuative recording, can be a good way.

question  HOW much time need to transfer 128 gb inside the ssd ?
5D3-123

masc

ND2901 saves 70-80MB/s, same speed like my 5D2 records. So a 64GB card is full/empty in about 15min.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: a1ex on October 28, 2018, 10:24:21 PM
Draft patch for the bleeding edge crop_rec:

--- a/modules/crop_rec/crop_rec.c
+++ b/modules/crop_rec/crop_rec.c
@@ -558,4 +558,11 @@
     int current_blanking = nrzi_decode(old);

+    static int previous_blanking = -1;
+    if (ABS(current_blanking - previous_blanking) == 1) {
+        current_blanking = previous_blanking;
+    } else {
+        previous_blanking = current_blanking;
+    }
+
     int video_mode = get_video_mode_index();

Homework: point out the bug from the above code (yes, there is one).

This patch works nicely, no flicker at all and no more of two values for shutter speeds toggling.
I couldn't find the bug you are talking about ?

theBilalFakhouri

@a1ex

I want to override C0F0 register in new crop_rec so I added these:

/* for Brighten LiveView in lower analog bit-depth */
static inline int brighten_liveview(uint32_t reg, uint32_t old_val)
{
    switch (reg)
    {
        /* Brighten LiveView for lower bit depths */
        case 0xC0F42744:
            return 0x4040404;
    }

return reg_override_common(reg, old_val);
}

static void * get_engio_reg_override_func()
{
    uint32_t (*reg_override_func)(uint32_t, uint32_t) =
        (binning_mode == BINNING_1x3)         ? brighten_liveview         :

0                                 ;
    return reg_override_func;
}

And the bottom part of this:
static void FAST engio_write_hook(uint32_t* regs, uint32_t* stack, uint32_t pc)
{
    static int prev_zoom = 0;
    static int prev_fpsm = 0;
    int current_zoom = PathDriveMode->zoom;
    int current_fpsm = PathDriveMode->fps_mode;
    if (current_zoom != prev_zoom ||
        current_fpsm != prev_fpsm)
    {
        /* video mode changed? */
        fps_update_params();
        cmos_update_params();
        prev_zoom = current_zoom;
        prev_fpsm = current_fpsm;
    }

if (!is_supported_mode())
    {
        /* don't patch other video modes */
        return;
    }

for (uint32_t * buf = (uint32_t *) regs[0]; *buf != 0xFFFFFFFF; buf += 2)
    {
        uint32_t reg = *buf;
        uint32_t old = *(buf+1);

int new = reg_override_generic(reg, old);
        if (new)
        {
            //~ if (reg == 0xc0f06014 || reg == 0xc0f06008 || reg == 0xc0f06804)
                //~ printf("[%x] %x: %x -> %x [z=%d]\n", regs[0], reg, old, new, PathDriveMode->zoom);
            *(buf+1) = new;
        }

}
   uint32_t (*reg_override_func)(uint32_t, uint32_t) =
        get_engio_reg_override_func();

if (!reg_override_func)
    {
        return;
    }

for (uint32_t * buf = (uint32_t *) regs[0]; *buf != 0xFFFFFFFF; buf += 2)
    {
        uint32_t reg = *buf;
        uint32_t old = *(buf+1);

int new = reg_override_func(reg, old);
        if (new)
        {
            *(buf+1) = new;
        }
    }
}

This affect 1x3 Binning mode; for brighten Live View because I am using Analog gain for lowering bit-depth, So everything is working properly until I change Y resolution the Screen goes Black and I can't enter ML menu only Canon menu, and after undo Y resolution changing, it goes normal, I think I should add something in the code above, because engino registers are conflicting when overriding it ? (The resolution ones Vs brighten live view register) something wrong happening in the buffer because of my code  :P

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: masc on June 22, 2019, 02:46:22 PM
It is possible in terms of space... that's the crap you can buy. It is technically impossible in terms of speed. The adapter must convert between parallel and serial transmission. This will always be slower! And additionally it will never be faster than the limit of the CF interface in the camera. So why one should need this, when loosing resolution or bitdepth, just to record some more minutes?

Amen. KomputerBay has been dreadfully spot on over the years -- even their customer services are flawless!

Quote from: masc on June 22, 2019, 02:46:22 PM
Buy 2 cards and a little HD with CF interface (e.g. NextoDi Nd2901), so you can record until your 2 or 4 TB are full, with just some seconds break to change between the cards.

Straight up. Done deal. Great call, @masc!  8)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Igor_Braun

Sorry, I didn't read all the thread and don't know if you wrote about that before, but how about 3:1 or 1:3 binning for shooting 4k (2,35:1 for example) without stopping? The same way as Reddeercity did it for 5d mark II.
This is my shoot on 5d2 and old Nikkor lens using 4k with binning:
https://youtu.be/nM7hfO5dkcM
I think the image is pretty detailed.

PS: I don't have 5d3, just wrote this as a suggestion.

masc

Quote from: Igor_Braun on September 08, 2019, 11:27:35 PM
Sorry, I didn't read all the thread and don't know if you wrote about that before, but how about 3:1 or 1:3 binning for shooting 4k (2,35:1 for example) without stopping? The same way as Reddeercity did it for 5d mark II.
This is my shoot on 5d2 and old Nikkor lens using 4k with binning:
There is no 4K binning (1x3) for 5D2 released. There is just 4K skipping (3x1).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: masc on September 09, 2019, 04:29:52 PM
There is no 4K binning (1x3) for 5D2 released. There is just 4K skipping (3x1).

@reddeercity There is so much potential in a 4k binning mode!

unfilmde

So at this point in development, is the 4K firmware pretty stable? I've been shooting RAW with the ML last nightly build and it has been pretty rock solid.  I just haven't moved up the the 4K builds yet.

Igor_Braun

Quote from: unfilmde on October 31, 2019, 06:29:12 PM
So at this point in development, is the 4K firmware pretty stable? I've been shooting RAW with the ML last nightly build and it has been pretty rock solid.  I just haven't moved up the the 4K builds yet.

Check the 1'st post on the 1'st page :)

unfilmde

Quote from: Igor_Braun on November 13, 2019, 05:01:28 PM
Check the 1'st post on the 1'st page :)

Doesn't really answer my question.  For those who are using it.  Is it pretty stable.  I've been using the ML RAW version for several years and it has been rock solid.  Is the 4K version there as far as stability?  Can I switch over to the 4K version and stop using the 'regular' RAW version?